Oct 26, 2017
Finished! The final dungeon was a bit of a chore (thank god for lowering encounter rates), but I still enjoyed the main story all the way to the end. It's no Suikoden II but it's stronger than the first. I think I'd put it:
II > III > V > Eiyuden > I > Tierkreis > IV

I think the design is working against itself a bit, since some of the minigame subquests take hours to plod through, but you'll still want to get them all. Maybe it even would have been better without the stretch goals, as they required all this extra fluff to be added which makes the late game drag. The main story was great, with the basic setup of Suikoden I but aspects of II and III added to it, but it ends up a 30 hour game with 30 hours of padding (even though much of the padding is nice). I think I would actually recommend not trawling the world for every character and only get those that interest you.

It also feels like there's a lot of story hooks and characters and events alluded to outside of this game. I'm not optimistic about eventually getting Eiyuden II, III, IV and V, but I could see a better world where this actually happened and we'd have characters from this pop up again. There's tons of enjoyable characters in this that could be another Georg or Luc and turn up in an entirely different scenario. The collectable books and divined backstories really add a lot and make the world a more interesting place. Like we never actually visit New Neveah or the university. Those could easily be Eiyuden II locations.

I'm also reminded that there will still be DLC, and I'm assuming these will have additional locations and maybe even characters.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
I reached tonight the spot where you meet for the first time this weird skeleton character with his ghoulsz

Overall I have to say that I am starting to really struggle finding the fun in this game… story is not captivating and the battle mechanics are boring…. In order to be able to rank it among my favorite Suikodens, I have to finish it but currently I would rather play any of the original games…

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone who worked on those ship races should be fired and never work in this industry again.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I can't wait to get Mellore our of the party, her voice is intensely irritating
Yeah, that's the same reason I dropped her immediately, too. Hurt my ears.
Really whish we could stop the random Encounters when you are in a section with a Gimmick,like in this awful Ice sliding section...I cant do shit like this anymore lol...
If you're playing on PC, I highly recommend using cheat engine (search for Eiyuden tables) or a trainer. I think I'm enjoying this game a lot more than some because I have my run speed at 2.5 and turn off combat encounters when I don't feel like fighting (backtracking or doing dungeon gimmicks). I would've gone insane in the ice dungeon if I was running into fights while missing all my slides.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
How can I beat the Beigoma tutorial when I chose Fire, and the tutorial NPC has Water? Am I overlooking something or can I not change my Top until after this tutorial?

Edit: Eventually got it after 15 tries via luck. I guess complaining on ERA was all I needed to do.

Last edited:

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
How can I beat the Beigoma tutorial when I chose Fire, and the tutorial NPC has Water? Am I overlooking something or can I not change my Top until after this tutorial?

I've lost about 15 times now, and this mini game is making me question if I want put this game down or not.

A few matches we've both lost at the same time and of course that's not good enough.

Do not even bother with the Beigoma questline until later in the game. The starter Beigoma aren't worth using. You get better ones as monster drops.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017

I've lost about 15 times now, and this mini game is making me question if I want put this game down or not.

A few matches we've both lost at the same time and of course that's not good enough.
Which tutorial? The very first battle isn't a real one and should be easy to beat.

After that it's all about finding better gear through rare monster drops (which couldn't drop before you unlocked the minigame AFAICT).

This minigame isn't skill based (much), it's all about having superior gear.

Very good gear isn't available until later in the game (areas with specific monsters etc).

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
They over did it with the Beigoma and the Cooking.

Those sidequests are absolute torture and almost made me just quit the game completely at the finish line.

I actually really liked the card game but it doesn't have a quest, you just buy enough packs to make the character appear, do one match against them and done.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
So I had backed the game for the "Nintendo next gen" console and got a Switch code.
I won't be playing this for a while waiting to see if this gets patched at all.
But I started the game this morning to see how bad and it ran and... wow.

Even the menus are sluggish to a fault. I understand Switch was initially not considered but still... You'd think stuff like the menus would use a different logic that the actual game and be snappier.
I'm really noisy about QoL so this is worse for me than the actual exploration/animations being 20 fps or something^^'

Oct 25, 2017
How is the game's performance on PS5? I bought the game at launch but held off on playing since I heard there was a lot of issues. Are they largely fixed?

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
So I had backed the game for the "Nintendo next gen" console and got a Switch code.
I won't be playing this for a while waiting to see if this gets patched at all.
But I started the game this morning to see how bad and it ran and... wow.

Even the menus are sluggish to a fault. I understand Switch was initially not considered but still... You'd think stuff like the menus would use a different logic that the actual game and be snappier.
I'm really noisy about QoL so this is worse for me than the actual exploration/animations being 20 fps or something^^'
Menus are a little laggy on Steam Deck too. Probably not as bad, but it's still a little annoying.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
do i ever actually need to learn how to play beigoma or can i just brute force it later in the game, because right now i'm using tops from the water region to knock out all the players in garm, and it seems to be working really well for me so far. i reckon tac and fender are supposed to be teaching me the rules wrt different top types, but i don't like actually care about any of that.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, that's the same reason I dropped her immediately, too. Hurt my ears.

If you're playing on PC, I highly recommend using cheat engine (search for Eiyuden tables) or a trainer. I think I'm enjoying this game a lot more than some because I have my run speed at 2.5 and turn off combat encounters when I don't feel like fighting (backtracking or doing dungeon gimmicks). I would've gone insane in the ice dungeon if I was running into fights while missing all my slides.

To be fair, there's accessories and/or support characters to achieve that same thing. By the time you need to do backtracking, you should have some of those.

BeepBoop

Nov 24, 2019
How is the game's performance on PS5? I bought the game at launch but held off on playing since I heard there was a lot of issues. Are they largely fixed?

There is just one section where the load times are bad and it runs at 1080p instead of 4k

There is also still a late game bug that breaks the game if get it (but this is for all platforms), and cooking is broken which effects that mini game if you liked it from Suikoden 2 (kinda kills it since you do the same 3 things every time to guarantee wins, instead of paying attention to judges favorites/moods and dish categories)

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
I have now tried the beginning of the game on
  • PS5
  • Xbox series x
  • PC (rog ally)
I think I'll continue on rog ally. It looks great on the small screen, and runs in 60 fps.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I fired this up last night and the text is minuscule with no option to make it bigger, killing me

Otherwise it was a very charming opening, it's got all the pure jrpg vibes.

Lbbaker

May 21, 2018
Based on what I read above, the game breaking bugs still aren't fixed? How's performance on XSX?
Played through the whole game on XSX and it's not too bad. Didn't encounter any game breaking bugs. There are some areas where the fan goes fucking nuts though. Mine never overheated and shut itself like some users have said.

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
Rolled credits this weekend. This is pure RPG comfort food. I played blind and this reminded me of when I was young and just had a blast exploring and doing all the silly quests involved. It's not perfect, and a few bugs are preventing me from getting the plat this run, but I enjoyed the hell out of this game.

Like Suikoden 1, this game will need other entries for it to truly begin to shine, but as a stand alone title it's fine.

Thank you Murayama and everyone else involved.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I've started skipping cutscenes at this point; the story and characters really aren't doing anything for me. I think I'm getting close to the end. I don't want to drop the game this far into it, but I'm pretty much coasting by. It just never took off. It's all very workman-like. It has all the ingredients I want a jrpg to have and it's competent enough, but as a whole it never really gels.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Based on what I read above, the game breaking bugs still aren't fixed? How's performance on XSX?
4k60. AA isn't great but most areas have a stable 60. But there are a few areas which drop in what looks like the 40s range and these are areas causing the console to heat a lot. On my setup it's a non-issue but the fan definitely blows some hot air and some people reported the console shutting down with an overheat error message.

MasaDrew

Jun 20, 2019
A chunk of my motivation is getting characters to max out my HQ. I do enjoy that there's a little more to it compared to Suikoden. Right now all I have left before leveling up the place to 3 is getting the Appraiser from the desert harbor. I'm confident I've already gotten the pocket watch from the Seaside Cavern, just like I'm confident that I accidentally solid it too XD. I saw that apparently a chest battle in the desert around the harbor town will proc it but i've had no luck. Is there another place that drops it?

Also any tips for knocking 1500 damage off of Reyna? I feel like I got closeish the first time thanks to a Perrielle proc but i've had no luck since. Will probably just come back in a few hours once I'm stronger.

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
Also any tips for knocking 1500 damage off of Reyna? I feel like I got closeish the first time thanks to a Perrielle proc but i've had no luck since. Will probably just come back in a few hours once I'm stronger.

I used the charge up peeps, you should have 2-3 of them in the front row and someone with strong magic and maybe someone with access to the Dark rune so it does Poison damage every turn. Douglas if he procs, and/or bring a food item that boosts damage should also help.

Niahak

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still really enjoying the game, but the Switch performance issues are bogging me down.
By far the most crashes / load screen hangs have happened in HQ, either while building things or moving between zones. I'm not surprised, as HQ has the most elaborate zones, but it is frustrating that HQ is where I should want to spend the most time and upgrading the HQ is one of the big pleasures in the game.

I tried a mock battle (the "practical" one most like a real war battle) and got completely destroyed. I was trying to keep my units relatively concentrated, but so much of the war battle system isn't really explained so I ran into a situation where my units fled in different directions.

The story war battles have been much easier. Does anyone have useful tips about war battles?
  • Orientation is clearly a thing. How much do flanking/back assaults actually matter? If an enemy unit is stunned (via Melridge ability for ex.) do I have a bonus when attacking them?
  • Say I have a unit moving out of a zone in a different direction while an enemy moves into it. What determines whether my unit leaves before the enemy gets there vs being flanked (In my experience I'm always the one flanked)? If I'm moving out of that zone to flank a different enemy, why does their attack get precedence?
  • How's the unit type affect performance? Like yeah, I'm stacking bow guys with bow bonuses... but is there an actual rock-paper-scissors where e.g. bows beat magic, magic beats cavalry, cav beats infantry, infantry beats bows? I'm not really seeing that play out and it just feels like infantry is a meatshield for whatever range. Most commanders can't even use cavalry, so I'm not doing much with it - is it an infantry replacement?
  • When picking which units go with which commander, beyond obvious unit type synergies are there good reasons not to pick the larger unit numbers? Going into all the platoon commander bonuses/abilities and how vague they are, it's not clear how significant the differences are and it's a lot to keep track of...

BeepBoop

Nov 24, 2019
Have they still not fixed that?
What the actual fuck is going on?

They have only done 2 patches so far, mostly to fix the early to mid game, game breaking bugs, but not the late game one yet

They talked about knowing about the misc issues (ps4 resolution, xbox overheat, switch bad performance), but have only focused on game breaking stuff so far first it seems

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
For those who chose the packaged version as a reward, we are preparing to make the digital data of the reversible jackets available for download from the Yetee Hub on The Yetee website for each platform so that each back can get theirs as soon as possible, as well as a giveaway wallpaper as an apology gift.

From the kickstarter....... are you serious ? It cost me 20 USD for shiping and now i have to print something that was suppose to be include ?

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
From the kickstarter....... are you serious ? It cost me 20 USD for shiping and now i have to print something that was suppose to be include ?
I believe they said somewhere they were going to ship the cover out at some point later so maybe this is just so people got them in the meantime. I guess it would be better to include the cover with the other rewards since they are small and thin.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
They really messed up magic in this...first of all the 30 slot limit with some items stacking in a whopping 2/2,like the Magic Drops is insane...also maybe the OG Suidoken where not magic oriented,dont remember,but this is what is making the section I am at really hard right now,I might just give up,again lol,on this game...

By the time I reach the Boss,I am low on Magic,out of anything to replenish it so I run out of being able to cast Recovery Wave and the like...

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
A chunk of my motivation is getting characters to max out my HQ. I do enjoy that there's a little more to it compared to Suikoden. Right now all I have left before leveling up the place to 3 is getting the Appraiser from the desert harbor. I'm confident I've already gotten the pocket watch from the Seaside Cavern, just like I'm confident that I accidentally solid it too XD. I saw that apparently a chest battle in the desert around the harbor town will proc it but i've had no luck. Is there another place that drops it?

I used a Sleep Strike Rune equiped to Nowa on turn 1. Everyone else defended except for Yusuke who used charge. Reyna loses her guard when sleeping.

Turn 2 if Reyna is asleep.
Iugo - Slash Rune
Yusuke - Attack
Nowa - Attack
Lian - That wind up punch skill
Isha - Inferno Rune Single target 100mp spell
Momo - Inferno Rune Single target 100mp spell

My entire team was around level 45 to 47. Momo and Isha did a combined 750 DMG with their big spells. The fight ended before Iugo could act.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
So early on in the game I found some ring that says it sells for a lot, so whatever I sold it. Then I needed one to recruit someone, so I had to find another one. Ok kind of a pain, but whatever.

Then I find someone else who wants something I found and also sold because it also didn't tell me it was important in anyway.

Now I will horde everything. EVERYTHING. haha.

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
Having a bunch of open Rune slots really makes him pop compared to some of the other mages who have some slots taken by subpar runes.

What's the max damage people have been doing? I was screwing around with Mio doing 3k+ crits in that gauntlet area below the castle. With some help from supports and food of course.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
I thought I'd get the Rising characters earlier. There's some side characters from Rising you get quick, and you see Garoo fairly early on. But he dips out quick, and I haven't seen CJ yet. I did finally see Isha but didn't recognize her because she looks different. Figured all 3 would be relatively early. Hah.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I thought I'd get the Rising characters earlier. There's some side characters from Rising you get quick, and you see Garoo fairly early on. But he dips out quick, and I haven't seen CJ yet. I did finally see Isha but didn't recognize her because she looks different. Figured all 3 would be relatively early. Hah.
You can get CJ around mid-game IIRC, in one of the rare meaty recruitment quests. Aside from Garoo it seems they're all optional.

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
I feel if you reach the post game, all those rare items in shops should just show up. lol

I am still waiting for that last script to pop up. That's the only thing holding me back from completing my castle!

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
You can get CJ around mid-game IIRC, in one of the rare meaty recruitment quests. Aside from Garoo it seems they're all optional.

I'm just playing too slow then I guess. Haha. I think I'm damn near 40 hours, and I just did the Shi'arc stuff. Level 43~, I am getting all the people, and maxing out my castle though.

Niahak

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, people weren't kidding about some of the minigame-related quests going on really long.
I'm 45+ hours in, just beat Harganthia and I have three recruits left according to B'Baba and I still haven't finished the Beigoma or Cooking quests, I've probably done 8 cooking competitions and I just failed to beat the Air Spinadier master. Guess I'll work on farming and do cooking battles when I can.

I did enjoy the mainline quest with Markus, even if he's a cliche he's a fun one and the castle was interesting.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Gieran with Reaper's Lullaby from the Darkness Rune is kind of eating right now, tbh. But also his regular attack is weirdly powerful? But also also, he's yet another L range character who can equip Shields.

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Welp I've finished the game and never encountered the cooking quest, and while I did encounter the characters who introduce the card game and Beigoma, I never received any quests associated with those minigames.

HorseFD

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne
Just so I'm up to speed:

The PS5 version still runs at a lower resolution that the Xbox Series X version? Xbox is 4K and PS5 is not?