PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I might be remembering wrong but I don't believe Momo's current body is a different gender from their original one if I remember the quest right.

The read I got off of his dialogue in his debut quest is that he's been experimenting on himself for hundreds of years with various forms of Lens magic to find "ultimate cuteness" and this body/look is what he settled on.

Either way, I just find the whole portrayal really weird. Maybe I need to read B'baba's intel on Momo for more context but my initial response is "why are we still doing this joke in 2024?"

I never really felt they were making fun of Momo ever. There was some communication error initially, and when it was established Momo was male, Nowa said "Oh" and moved on. Maybe I just never looked too much into it.

This is the one thing the scene has going for it - Nowa doesn't dwell on it or go "HUH?????" or make it into a big to-do. He just nods and rolls with it. That part I'm fine with.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
The read I got off of his dialogue in his debut quest is that he's been experimenting on himself for hundreds of years with various forms of Lens magic to find "ultimate cuteness" and this body/look is what he settled on.

Either way, I just find the whole portrayal really weird. Maybe I need to read B'baba's intel on Momo for more context but my initial response is "why are we still doing this joke in 2024?"

This is the one thing the scene has going for it - Nowa doesn't dwell on it or go "HUH?????" or make it into a big to-do. He just nods and rolls with it. That part I'm fine with.
Ok so I went and read his background and I am not sure. He does not appear to be trans as far as I can tell. However you are right that he was experimenting on his own body until it was at the "cute" ideal he strives for and also he does not like to think about how he looked before. His whole appearance and persona is based off of magical girls which he finds to be the ideal cuteness. Maybe read his background as well and give us your opinion when you can. I am just not sure.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
The whole "MAXIMUM ANIME GIRL CUTENESS" trope is so tired and painfully unfunny. "I'm a powerful ancient wizard but I'm using a cutesy pink-haired little girl body that kills enemies with CUTENESS hee hee" would have been cringy even in 1992

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
It's a bit of a downer to hear people completing the game and the general vibe is eh it's kinda mid. With Murayama gone, I don't expect it to get any better either.

I would've gone for Switch version since I'm willing to trade a lot for portability but what I'm hearing about performance is disheartening too.

Shucks.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
i definitely feel like a lot of the characters lean heavier into anime meme characters than in the other suikoden games in a way that makes the world feel just a little more slapdash than it should.

Suichimo

Mar 17, 2021
Has anyone else ordered this on Amazon? Specifically, I ordered the physical Switch version, I'm fully aware of the issues but it sounds like they have a patch on the way. Amazon hasn't said anything about shipping yet and my order status still shows as "we'll email you when we have an estimate".

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
My physical Switch edition from Yetee has been stuck at the US border since May 8th. (I live in Canada.)

Anyone else having this issue? Any Canadians actually get their Switch copy yet?

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
70h hours in (still not finished), this game has it's absolute clutches on me, i cannot disagree more with the reviewer who called this game souless, despite some shortcomings specially in the QoL aspect, this game is anything but that imo. I understand if people dislike the game (as with any game), but, there is a lot of heart and effort in this, things like the duels choreography and the amount of specific voice lines depending on who is in your party is actually super impressive.

I just love travelling around and stumbling upon characters to recruit, and even in some questlines that dragged a lot (a.k.a beigoma) i couldn't help, but, invest myself in the sillyness of it. I could easily list many flaws with this game, but, looking at it as a whole, this is so far my GOTY, i'm completely taken by it, it surpassed my expectations in many aspects. Also, playing this on a 4K OLED with auto HDR is very pretty, there are some gorgeus setpieces and the sprite work goes without saying. I can't wait to get home and keep playing it.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Was finally able to finish it today. Game was definitely rough around the edges and had a lot of problems but overall I still enjoyed it. I liked it more than Suikoden 1, 4 and Tierkreis. If they get a chance to make a sequel I'd be down for it.

Niahak

Oct 25, 2017
Was finally able to finish it today. Game was definitely rough around the edges and had a lot of problems but overall I still enjoyed it. I liked it more than Suikoden 1, 4 and Tierkreis. If they get a chance to make a sequel I'd be down for it.

I finished it over the weekend myself and this is about what I felt by the end - although I like 1 a little better. Some parts were a little on the slow/annoying side but I enjoyed the overall package despite some flaws.
Seeing the (credits scene)castle crumbling as Murayama's name popped up got me good.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I need to get back to this (latest patch is up on Xbox btw). Got distracted by 60fps Starfield.

I think I'm not too far from the end but I'm spending way too much time grinding various stuff like those underground challenges or however they're called.

I'm not sure if that means those side activities are fun or rather the main plot didn't really hook me enough to push me towards the end like JPRGs plots usually do, even if it's arguably pretty decent given modern standards.

MidasTouch

Dec 29, 2023
They finally patched the endgame story bug for PS5 players, and after taking a break from the game, I basically speedran the rest of the game to the ending, though I didn't bother completing Beigoma or cooking challenges (especially now that they're fixed and you can't just use the same recipes anymore). I would give it a 5.5 or 6/10 due to how frustrating that endgame story lockout bug was. It's my least-favorite Suikoden title by a longshot. At least when Konami was releasing new games in the franchise, you could play them from beginning to end without ways to brick your save.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
is there some kind of tip or trick so you don't randomly spin around backwards during the sand racing minigame

edit: nevermind the game just said "you're really bad at this and you'll never get it, so we're just gonna let you move on with the storyline"

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
For those who already beat the game, i have a doubt (heavy spoilers):

Usually in the Suikoden series, having the best endings requires recruiting everyone, so i assume it's the same with this game. My question is if i need to assemble everyone before reaching a certain point. I'm just past the point where Perrielle died, and it got me wondering if i needed everyone recruited at that point to save her or something like that.

double_heist

Nov 19, 2019

Usually in the Suikoden series, having the best endings requires recruiting everyone, so i assume it's the same with this game. My question is if i need to assemble everyone before reaching a certain point. I'm just past the point where Perrielle died, and it got me wondering if i needed everyone recruited at that point to save her or something like that.

Yes you needed to recruit all the 119 characters before Castle Hargathia at least to get Leene and save Perielle. This is kinda like the Nanami situation in Suikoden 2... Just no prompts.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, your hunch is correct. Recruit everyone before then and you'll avert it. Ending itself doesn't really change.

FWIW I prefer the version you got.

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
I'm hoping one or both of my missing chests are in the final dungeon. Someone mentioned they fixed that teleportation bug? That would help me before playing new game + and finishing out the rest of the trophies.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
is there some kind of tip or trick so you don't randomly spin around backwards during the sand racing minigame

edit: nevermind the game just said "you're really bad at this and you'll never get it, so we're just gonna let you move on with the storyline"
There's a recruitable character behind a bonus race, so a tip is to just do it with the D pad instead.

Talonluck

Oct 27, 2017
Gilbert, Arizona
Anyone else's series x sound like a jet engine and even shut down due to overheating for this game?

I got tools coming to take apart and replace the thermal paste soon but never thought this game would be the one to force me to do this lol.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
There's a recruitable character behind a bonus race, so a tip is to just do it with the D pad instead.

Wow, thanks, I got Scarlet on the first try because of this.

Now I'm just trying to get the Scarabs to drop a mystery antique so I can recruit what's his face, and it's like, I naur old Suikoden games had recruitments like this (helllllloooooo Celadon Urn!), but the harsher load times in Eiyuden are really dragging it out

HBK

Oct 30, 2017

Use the DPad. There are a number of basic programming mistakes wrt managing reverse steering which make it unplayable with a stick (technically it's the same with the DPad but the DPad is way less sensitive about it).

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone else's series x sound like a jet engine and even shut down due to overheating for this game?

I got tools coming to take apart and replace the thermal paste soon but never thought this game would be the one to force me to do this lol.
Known issue. Not sure why but this game makes Xboxes heat up a lot. It's unclear why some Xboxes like mine simply blow hot air while others have their fans going into overdrive up to forcing safety shutdowns.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Yes you needed to recruit all the 119 characters before Castle Hargathia at least to get Leene and save Perielle. This is kinda like the Nanami situation in Suikoden 2... Just no prompts.

Yeah, your hunch is correct. Recruit everyone before then and you'll avert it. Ending itself doesn't really change.

FWIW I prefer the version you got.
I see, thx for clarifying that. I took precautions and left a save after beating the boss at Harganthia, but, before the Dux attack on the main base, do i still have time to save her if i go back to that save?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I see, thx for clarifying that. I took precautions and left a save after beating the boss at Harganthia, but, before the Dux attack on the main base, do i still have time to save her if i go back to that save?

Maybe. I believe the only character who's unrecruitable at that point is the gryphon (it requires Marisa in your party, so has to be done before she leaves for Harganthia). Hopefully you already have it.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
who are your missing characters? You can check with the fortune teller.

Maybe. I believe the only character who's unrecruitable at that point is the gryphon (it requires Marisa in your party, so has to be done before she leaves for Harganthia). Hopefully you already have it.
Kurtz's wife (only a few contests to go) which i got in my current save and a girl who is supposed to show up after i've upgraded the city to a certain point (which i'm currently grinding to upgrade the entire city to get her in my current save). I assume i can get both still, everyone else i've already recruited, and Leene i assume will automatically join once i've recruited everyone.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Kurtz's wife (only a few contests to go) which i got in my current save and a girl who is supposed to show up after i've upgraded the city to a certain point (which i'm currently grinding to upgrade the entire city to get her in my current save). I assume i can get both still, everyone else i've already recruited, and Leene i assume will automatically join once i've recruited everyone.
I would honestly tell you to not bother. I get the impulse, I do -- I did it myself. But those mini-games quests to recruit everyone are an absolute slog, and it doesn't make the story better in the end. I regret the time I spent on doing that honestly. You should just keep playing with your current save šŸ„²

Niahak

Oct 25, 2017
Has this been patched on the Switch yet?
When I checked last night the Switch was at 1.04 (and had been there awhile) so it's behind other versions by 1 or 2 patches depending on how you count it. It depends a little on what patch features you're looking for, but IIRC cooking battles are still bugged.

I encountered several crashes and locks, especially in HQ later in the game (on 1.04). Performance is still pretty rough. I'd expect Switch patches to lag other platforms by at least a week or two and no patch notes have specifically said anything about performance. Patch 1.05/1.06 was announced on other platforms last week with Switch "coming soon".

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
When I checked last night the Switch was at 1.04 (and had been there awhile) so it's behind other versions by 1 or 2 patches depending on how you count it. It depends a little on what patch features you're looking for, but IIRC cooking battles are still bugged.

I encountered several crashes and locks, especially in HQ later in the game (on 1.04). Performance is still pretty rough. I'd expect Switch patches to lag other platforms by at least a week or two and no patch notes have specifically said anything about performance. Patch 1.05/1.06 was announced on other platforms last week with Switch "coming soon".
Honestly not wanna be the doomsayer but don't expect much improvements on the Switch besides quest fixes and maybe balancing adjustments if they go that route.

This game makes Xboxes overheat and PS5s have some rough spots wrt performance or even loading times.

Hopefully they'll be able to iron out the constant crashing, but I don't see the Switch version getting significant improvements wrt performance or loading times. Game simply is demanding despite its old-school aesthetics.

I love the Switch it's a neat little console but indies in particular can only do so much.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
I would honestly tell you to not bother. I get the impulse, I do -- I did it myself. But those mini-games quests to recruit everyone are an absolute slog, and it doesn't make the story better in the end. I regret the time I spent on doing that honestly. You should just keep playing with your current save šŸ„²
From a logical standpoint, that would be the best way to go about it, specially considering i can just youtube the alternative, but, i'm i have this thing where i try to get the absolute best outcome in every situation, even in sidequests. I will just skip the cutscenes, leave some music on the background and try to multask by doing something else in the process.

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
Just going to assume the following story beats for these DLC packs:

Marisa DLC: August 2024 - Another calamity is attacking Yarnaan and Marisa must protect her home.
Seign DLC: September 2024 - Maybe some backstory about the Kesling family, or even the after effects of the war in the Empire's side?
Markus DLC: October 2024 - I'm guessing Markus backstory or origins, something like that.

and keep the defect fixes coming, the teleportation bug still hasn't been fixed, so I ended up going ahead with my NG+ run anyways. I was HOPING that these rare recipes would just auto show in NG+, and that was not the case! So, RNG has been real cruel to me in this game.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States

Deluxury

Dec 3, 2018
Just going to assume the following story beats for these DLC packs:

Marisa DLC: August 2024 - Another calamity is attacking Yarnaan and Marisa must protect her home.
Seign DLC: September 2024 - Maybe some backstory about the Kesling family, or even the after effects of the war in the Empire's side?
Markus DLC: October 2024 - I'm guessing Markus backstory or origins, something like that.

and keep the defect fixes coming, the teleportation bug still hasn't been fixed, so I ended up going ahead with my NG+ run anyways. I was HOPING that these rare recipes would just auto show in NG+, and that was not the case! So, RNG has been real cruel to me in this game.

Famitsu reported the synopsis:
www.famitsu.com

怎ē™¾č‹±é›„ä¼ć€ćƒ­ćƒ¼ćƒ‰ćƒžćƒƒćƒ—å…¬é–‹ć€‚8ęœˆć«DLCā€œćƒ”ćƒŖ悵恮ē« ā€é…äæ”态9ęœˆć«ć‚»ć‚¤ć€10ęœˆć«ćƒžćƒ¼ć‚«ć‚¹ć®čæ½åŠ ć‚·ćƒŠćƒŖć‚Ŗ恌ē™»å “ | ć‚²ćƒ¼ćƒ ćƒ»ć‚Øćƒ³ć‚æćƒ”ęœ€ę–°ęƒ…å ±ć®ćƒ•ć‚”ćƒŸé€š.com

2024幓5꜈24ꗄ态RPG怎ē™¾č‹±é›„ä¼ć€ć®ćƒ­ćƒ¼ćƒ‰ćƒžćƒƒćƒ—ćŒå…¬é–‹ć•ć‚Œć€ćƒ€ć‚¦ćƒ³ćƒ­ćƒ¼ćƒ‰ć‚³ćƒ³ćƒ†ćƒ³ćƒ„ļ¼ˆDLCļ¼‰ć®é…äæ”ę™‚ęœŸćŒę˜Žć‚‰ć‹ć«ćŖć£ćŸć€‚

Marisa DLC - it's a prequel, showing how she met and became friend with Leene while on a mission. They will be visiting a runebarrow.
Seign DLC - it happens during the main story when they go back to the Empire. Apparently there were more things taking place behind the scenes.
Markus DLC - you are right about this. It will be through a newly discovered teleport location by Markus and Carrie. Nowa will be dragged into this.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
None of the DLC sounds particularly interesting or worth going back for to me, especially since they're so short.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How does this play on the Steam Deck? Still undecided on what platform to try this out on lol

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Finally beaten, beautiful final sequence, will take a break and likely comeback to try the theater. The worldbuilding in this really makes me want to see more of this universe.

Ivellios

Oct 27, 2017
Coming from Suikoden, is there any missable recruitable character? if there is, is there any spoiler free guide somewhere? enjoying the game a great deal on gamepass

BeepBoop

Nov 24, 2019
Coming from Suikoden, is there any missable recruitable character? if there is, is there any spoiler free guide somewhere? enjoying the game a great deal on gamepass

There are 2 that are sort of miss-able

The recruitment guide on the wiki has a good spoiler free guide where you have to show stuff specifically as you go to drill down Event (based on location/region, not actual story spoilers) -> town -> character -> how to get

Last edited:

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
God this cooking battle stuff is such bullshit. Haha. I hate this so God damn much.

I'm at the Golem now, and I want to give up forever. šŸ˜

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Y'all, trust me, it's not worth doing the cooking and beigoma mini-games for the recruit. Just don't do it. The game will be more enjoyable and the story will be better.