• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Amir

Jun 7, 2018
In recent years buy games in poor countries like Iran is getting better because of regional pricing in steam. Because of terrible economic conditions (month salary 150$ or lower) buying game is possible with regions like Argentina or Turkey. In this regions we're buying games with gift card if game has good regional pricing. But from last night if you want to buy any game or even have sell or buy something in steam market your country is instantly change to somewhere like France or US or Germany! In these regions we can't even buy one game anymore. We don't even have region or any payment method in steam. In last years our only possible way is buying gift cards in low price regions.
This is not just happened for Iranian users. Some users from Uganda or Hungary(changed to Germany)!
In last months most of publishers in steam increased game prices 3x or more in cheap regions. You can't even buy Mortal Kombat 1 in turkey because it's removed from store! even with this conditions we try to buy games but now it's almost impossible to buy games with 69,99€ (40 Million our currency) price.

JMS

Jul 22, 2022
Yep, it got abused by people from "richer" countries using VPNs on those countries to buy games for cheap on steam fucking over those who actually had a good use for it.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
I know about increased pricing
But auto change the region? Why there is no news about this?

Shepherd

Oct 25, 2017
That's the reason it's been years since I bought a square game on steam at full price. Even at discounted price it is too damn expensive here in Brazil.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I thought Steam had really clamped down on geo abuse, to the point that I expected it would be a non-issue. So it's a damn shame to hear this. This kind of situation doesn't help anyone.
Yeah, plenty of games in my country have started to charge 2x and more because of people from much richer countries abusing, then you have people like this making fun of that fact and praising their lord of savior who doesn't even bother to give fair prices on the own psn store or steam.

View: https://twitter.com/GameOverGreggy/status/1649108220622041088
in b4 is just a joke bro.

Let's stop giving this total prat a platform on here.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
I think a better question should be how does rich countries got rich and whether "international" institutions serve their interests more.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, plenty of games in my country have started to charge 2x and more because of people from much richer countries abusing, then you have people like this making fun of that fact and praising their lord of savior who doesn't even bother to give fair prices on the own psn store or steam.

View: https://twitter.com/GameOverGreggy/status/1649108220622041088
in b4 is just a joke bro.

But it is a joke, its him playing a character. I thought that was obvious

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
Yep, it got abused by people from "richer" countries using VPNs on those countries to buy games for cheap on steam fucking over those who actually had a good use for it.

Folks here on Era were doing it and then blaming the developers, as if devs should just accept when people from first world countries make it unsustainable for them to offer games to lower income countries for better prices.

Greed always ends up fucking over poor people first.

If you do something ironically, you're still doing that thing. If you do something "ironically" all the time, at some point it's just your personality.

Dude's a dollar store troll. I don't know why he's even in this thread.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
Regional pricing is dead :(

Started last year and now almost all games and publishers are no longer pricing appropriately.

gabyb

Jun 23, 2021
Argentina must have gone back to piracy for AAA games, full price is way too expensive (average monthly salary for a professional with a degree is around $600).

Even worse I can't imagine living in a country without its own steam store, the USA store prices are insane in almost every other region.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
With first transaction like buying game or sell and buy in market this is happened to you.

Uhm. Reading this, it seems this Iranian person had an account for Argentina...

I need help, my steam store country was set on argentine for a long time now and today, without any notice it changed to Germany, no one logged into my account, no payment was made, I have not been near Germany in my life!

Reading Steam forums, seems Valve is cracking down on region jumpers:

Its new, multiple users have reported it today. Seems that Valve is cracking down on region hoppers and forcefully restore the store region to where you are reall living right now.
If you look around you find multiple threads about it.

It seems it triggers when buying a game and if you dont use a payment method registered in the region you try to buy for.
So if you dont use a turkish bank account or credit card it will switch your region to your current physical location.

Lots of speculation right now how it works.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
I sympathise with the OP and agree that it's the end of an era for people from countries like Iran, but at the end of the day, region hopping is region hopping and Valve can't really make exceptions for poorer countries.

My hope is that they bring regional pricing to Iran and other affected countries soon!

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
The big problem seems to be Steam not supporting your country. Those low regional prices only work if people can't abuse it, and unfortunately those people use the same methods as you.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
It's inoffensive bs about video games, if you actually get annoyed by this or any platform war shite that's unfortunate
It's the weird double-standard I find annoying: that platform warrior rhetoric is seen by some of you as okay to post/defend on a forum that literally bans users for doing it (with good reason) whether they too are joking or not. We're completely off-topic at this point though so I'll just leave it there.

The Omega Man

Oct 25, 2017
I grew up in a poor country, nobody bought original games it was too expensive, people used to put mod-chips on their consoles and play pirated games, PC games have been pirated since the beginning of times as well.
If you are a gamer in a poor country, buying the shiny new game day 1 is a big no no, wait for a heavy discount and buy from third party sellers like GoG or CD Keys?
Heck I am in Canada and I can't afford those 100$ Games, I wait for big sales.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
No, if you create account with Iranian IP all price are same as US. our salary is not even 3 percent of them!
They are not. Iran is part of "South Asia" region on Steam, you get prices displayed in USD, but in most cases prices are still cheaper than US. I know this because I was in CIS region and we have a similar policy.
image.png

To be fair, some big publishers like EA, Bethesda, and Capcom loves to shaft our regions and set the same 60-70$ as in US (probably because those dumb fucks see USD and manually change it, while they have no clue about other currencies and just follow Valve's suggestions). But saying that ALL prices are the same as in the US is incorrect.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely started noticing this since last year and it always bums me out. Steam games used to be so affordable for me.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah, even "waiting for a sale" is not really the solution anymore, since even at 50% it still feels too expensive. We have to wait for 75% off or more which some games would never get, ever.

OP
OP
Amir

Amir

Jun 7, 2018
They are not. Iran is part of "South Asia" region on Steam, you get prices displayed in USD, but in most cases prices are still cheaper than US. I know this because I was in CIS region and we have a similar policy.
image.png

To be fair, some big publishers like EA, Bethesda, and Capcom loves to shaft our regions and set the same 60-70$ as in US (probably because those dumb fucks see USD and manually change it, while they have no clue about other currencies and just follow Valve's suggestions). But saying that ALL prices are the same as in the US is incorrect.
We also recommend a discounted USD price for several South Asian countries where we don't have local pricing. This is presented as "SASIA-USD" in the pricing tools. These countries are: Bangladesh, Bhutan, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka.
Iran never be in steam supported countries.
What about epic games op? I've heard their regional pricing is a lot better for developing countries?
Epic does not have gift card and in iran we don't have any visa/mastercard or other international payment method but we can buy something like steam gift card with bitcoin or other crypto payments.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Were the games 75% cheaper from the get go with regional pricing?
Yes, AAA games were like $20 back then, $30 at most.

Here's a thread I made in 2019 comparing the old and 2019 prices, and it's way worse now since most games are full $60 conversion.

www.resetera.com

Steam regional pricing is getting worse over time and it negatively affects the Grand Prix reward ($5 discount) outside of NA/EU regions

Yes, the Grand Prix has so many issues, but this is the most glaring one for me by far. So basically, by participating in the race you can gain tokens, which ultimately you can exchange with a $5 discount voucher for 15k tokens. For a lot of people, this is their main target in this Summer Sale...

Update:
CDPR
The Witcher 3: $38
Thronebreaker: $32
Cyberpunk 20877: $50

Bethesda
Wolfenstein New Order: $28
Wolfenstein New Colossus: $58
The Evil Within: $28
The Evil Within 2: $58

SquareEnix
Just Cause 3: $27
Just Cause 4: $48
Rise of Tomb Raider: $41
Shadow of Tomb Raider: $49

Koei Tecmo
Romance of 3 Kingdoms XIII: $28
Romance of 3 Kingdoms XIV: $62
Nobunaga's Ambition SOI: $28
Nobunaga's Ambition Taishi: $62

Rockstar
Grand Theft Auto V: $40
Red Dead Redemption 2: $46

Warner Bros
Mortal Kombat X: $27
Mortal Kombat XI: $49

Deep Silver
Metro Exodus (2018) : $27
Metro Exodus (2019): $48

Activision
COD Black Ops III: $40 (2015)
COD Black Ops III: $55 (2017~now)

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
a forum that literally bans users for doing it (with good reason) whether they too are joking or not
Saying "fuck you" to the games industry for non-criminal behavior is ok but saying their slogans (for example Xbox's The World's Most Powerful Console") isn't?

Elgen98

Nov 9, 2021
Yeah, the change in regional pricing suck balls I used to buy indie games all the time when they were in the 20/30 reais range, now the standard seems to be 70 reais and I simply cannot afford unless I'm crazy hyped about a game.

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
So, it seems that Valve is cracking down on region hoppers by requiring a credit card or bank account from the region you are buying from. While this will be bad for some in the short term, it should lower prices for low income regions in the long term as publishers become more confident that people from rich countries can't easily region hop.

Iran is under sanctions though, so all bets are off in that case.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
So, it seems that Valve is cracking down on region hoppers by requiring a credit card or bank account from the region you are buying from. While this will be bad for some in the short term, it should lower prices for low income regions in the long term as publishers become more confident that people from rich countries can't easily region hop.

Iran is under sanctions though, so all bets are off in that case.
We all wish this to be true, but let's be real. Publishers aren't lowering their prices.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I really don't think blaming the region hoppers is the move when they're very much a small, small minority and it's the companies themselves making the choice to raise regional prices despite the fact that there have been safeguards in place.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I really don't think blaming the region hoppers is the move when they're very much a small, small minority and it's the companies themselves making the choice to raise regional prices despite the fact that there have been safeguards in place.
Yes, this is true. And once they're up, they're not going down ever. Unless there's a global price drop, that is.

Jun 6, 2018
I've always been curious on this subject but do places like Epic Game Store and GMG do regional pricing? It seems like VPN + Torrents is what other countries are being pushed into.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a side effect of Valve cracking down on region hopping. That's very unfortunate for people from countries that are not officially supported.

Can you buy from steam key websites?

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017

I don't really follow kinda funny, but does Greg also comment on these things seriously and criticizes it or does he basically always play his character? Like if he jokes about it but at the end go "but seriously, fuck off Sony this sucks" it's fine, but if he only jokes about the situations and never really comments on it that kinda sucks.

OP
OP
Amir

Amir

Jun 7, 2018
Seems like a side effect of Valve cracking down on region hopping. That's very unfortunate for people from countries that are not officially supported.

Can you buy from steam key websites?
Some sites if supported cryto and dosn't have verify system and yet key prices is high too.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I've always been curious on this subject but do places like Epic Game Store and GMG do regional pricing? It seems like VPN + Torrents is what other countries are being pushed into.
EGS (and most other stores that support regional pricing) has the same prices as Steam, since the publisher themselves who set them up. So yes, even with bigger cut for developers (publishers) on EGS, it doesn't matter. Which makes all those arguments in the early days of EGS seems stupid now.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really follow kinda funny, but does Greg also comment on these things seriously and criticizes it or does he basically always play his character? Like if he jokes about it but at the end go "but seriously, fuck off Sony this sucks" it's fine, but if he only jokes about the situations and never really comments on it that kinda sucks.
Yeah most of the time when he talks about news like this on their daily show he's more soberly going through things. The couple of times he pulls out this kind of 'Wrestling Heel' persona I've always felt it's a pretty big shift in how he normally is 99% of the time for Kinda Funny's content, which is why I feel like you see most people who watch their stuff regularly confidently say this is a bit. It's very much not how Greg tends to talk about news.