• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Damn, the would really suck. There's still some great stuff that aren't BC on modern Xbox systems but can still be bought digitally on the Xbox 360 Marketplace.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
www.resetera.com

BC Xbox 360/OG Xbox games that are still listed but can only be bought on the online Marketplace or on a Xbox 360.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood** Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag* Assassin's Creed Liberation HD** Blood of the Werewolf Castle Crashers* Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare* Counter Strike: GO Dark Souls* Darksiders II* Daytona USA Defense Grid: The Awakening Final Fight: Double Impact Iron Brigade...

That's not the full list….

Because I am sure there are more titles (already purchased the ones on that list I didn't have)

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
This should be a friendly reminder that it doesn't matter how big a company is, no digital store is safe from being shut down. A digital store will only be available as long as it's in the financial interest of the company. Once it is no longer financially worth it, it will be shut down.

Deleted member 10981

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 24, 2022
I saw them shutting it down in 2025 to give the 360 a 20 year run. I expect with the backlash this will bring it probably will end up being 2025 anyway.

Ehhhh I think it's going to go through. Some games are already getting delisted next week, and the only reason Sony reversed their decision (combined with the backlash) was a good point was brought up that a bunch of unique content is locked to the PS3 and Vita, especially with the PS4 not being backwards compatible.

Here, Microsoft has the excuse of saying, "there is still a giant catalog of classic games for you to enjoy through Xbox One/Series backwards compatiblity!"

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
lol do they not see the backlash for older stores closing down? Nintendo and Sony were in hot water doing the exact same thing....

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
If this goes through, the domino will likely fall on Sony to go for shutting down the PS3/Vita store like they intended in 2021. Feels like Nintendo is the first domino in all this.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
This is terrible, and from the company that said they cared about preservation too. What a joke! BC and a commitement to preservation were huge reasons for me to come back to Xbox. This just sours me on the brand and their digital ecosystem in all honesty. I'm very disappointed in them.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Moments like this make me wonder why people are so eager to have a fully digital console.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
If we scream enough, this can be reversed just like like the PS3 store.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Wouldn't have ever thought the janky ass PS3 store would be the last standing from that gen (I know they wanted to shut it but backed down). Sure this will be all Sony need to go ahead a shut it down though, so hopefully MS get a similar reaction.

x3sphere

Oct 27, 2017
That's kind of surprising. Can't you purchase Xbox 360 games through the same store the newer platforms use and the web store? Unlike PSN where you've got to buy them through the old store on the platform itself.

So MS seemed like they had things together on this front. Coupled with the way they've promoted backwards compatibility, just seems like a really odd decision.

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
Guess the guy maintaining the store was caught in the mass layoffs

OP
OP
Storm

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
That's kind of surprising. Can't you purchase Xbox 360 games through the same store the newer platforms use and the web store? Unlike PSN where you've got to buy them through the old store on the platform itself.

So MS seemed like they had things together on this front. Coupled with the way they've promoted backwards compatibility, just seems like a really odd decision.

You can purchase some BC titles through the new systems. Not all of them, and nothing that isn't BC.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
For me personally I don't see a situation where I'd have waited 20 years to buy a game I really wanted to try. But to each their own.
I mean, Im finding about games from the 80s I had no idea even existed, and buying them. Its hardly that hard to imagine that there's something on the 360 store Ive missed all these years. Thinking about it... I never did get 'Splosion Man or the Dishwater Samurai...
Difference is, at least with physical games, at least I can buy them, even at a premium. Shutting off the digital store for any console sucks, I missed certain Wii download only games because of that...

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They aren't closing downloads
No, but they're closing your ability to purchase anything new. Thankfully there are tons of games on disc out there, but the same can't be said for dlc or download only games. People are still out here buying games for 30 year old consoles, so it will be a damn shame when the day comes that someone puts out a digital only system that will inevitably meet the same fate, but without the ability to get actual discs to play those games.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Moments like this make me wonder why people are so eager to have a fully digital console.
Because if a platform holder has a unified storefront like Steam (which it seems MS has now for One/Series) then there would be no issue -- beyond licensing issues and publisher drive delistings.

amara

Nov 23, 2021
Isn't there a extensive shmup library on the 360 store? Would be a shame to lose that

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's not the full list….

Because I am sure there are more titles (already purchased the ones on that list I didn't have)

What are other BC games not on that list? I know it hasn't been updated in awhile but it is mostly accurate (like N+ is now on new store).

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Yet. At some point one of these companies will cut off downloads to older digital content. It's not a matter of if but when and who will be the first. Anybody thinking otherwise is being foolish.

To me makes no difference if the console has a disc drive. Where I live physical media of 360 games don't exist lol

And with all the online only games it matters even less, we can't do a thing for preservation

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
For me personally I don't see a situation where I'd have waited 20 years to buy a game I really wanted to try. But to each their own.
I think it's more a thing that there'll be games/content which will be lost to time, rather than a 'if you wanted to play it, you'd have played it already' thing, especially as more and more of these online stores close down.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Big "IF" there though. Sadly nothing comes close to what Steam has achieved yet.
I mean.. but they do. MS's stores are unified now because they're now architected to be that way. Steam relies on Microsoft to maintain Windows for compatibility. So does Xbox.

Not to say that this wouldn't suck, of course, but I'm not convinced this isn't just a mistake. We'll see.

I think it's more a thing that there'll be games/content which will be lost to time, rather than a 'if you wanted to play it, you'd have played it already' thing, especially as more and more of these online stores close down.
I mean. I guess. But we're talking about the purchase side of things. You can still play your old 360 disks, but you can't buy them at Walmart anymore. You can find alternate ways to acquire your 360 disks, but MS isn't selling them directly anymore. And there may be alternate ways of acquiring 360 digitally (and probably for a lot longer and more easily and cheaply than physically), just not directly from MS.

BoredLemon

Nov 11, 2017

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, though Sony had planned to close it in 2021 before reversing it due to backlash.
At least MS has put in the work to get a huge chunk of the 360 library working on newer hardware. Wasn't it close to 60% of the 360 library? It would still suck to lose access to that 40% but it wouldn't be nearly as ridiculous as Sony closing the PS3 store when they've done virtually nothing to ensure that those games can be purchased elsewhere.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This would be an unfathomably stupid decision. If they know what's good for the brand, they're not going to go through with this.