• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Today at work, I somehow began thinking about my own mortality, how fragile life is, and how no matter what precautions I take, death is inevitable all the same. The thoughts started off simple, but began to get deeper and deeper.

Will I be ready? Will I be satisfied with the life I've lived? Will I know it's happening? Will it be sudden and without warning? Will my loved ones be there with me when I go? Will my children live long and fulfilling lives?

Then, I delved into the scariest of all death related thoughts; non existence. Now, most common conversations about non existence will usually turn to "it will be like before you were born" which I guess is a nice way of thinking about it... Only I never had to face that reality; I've only faced the reality of being alive, with an unknown expiration date. The thoughts of the inevitability of non existence shook me all the way down to my fucking core today. I was visibly shaken and had to divert my thoughts to something else while escaping to the backroom to collect myself. The subject has lingered in my mind the remainder of today.

Normally I'm good at blocking these thoughts and accepting it as a fact of life. Today, I felt the most vulnerable I've ever been.

Oct 25, 2017
I am mostly fine with the stuff you're talking about in the OP. Death is solace to me. It is more the how that bothers me. I just have the feeling it will be through extreme pain with my luck.

Jeffolation

Shinra Employee
Oct 30, 2017
To me non existence is going to be the best sleep I've ever had and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to it.

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
As our generation gets older, guess it's only natural to think about it.

Yes, it does but what can I do about it? I'm honestly more afraid of my love ones dying before me.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
As someone with chronic depression not nearly as much as it should I think.

I am more afraid of what my death would do to my family and friends than any real concern about myself.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not at all. Mostly I'm scared of dying in extreme physical pain. That's what scares me. I hate physical pain.

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
Sometimes, other times I'm more worried about life sucking. More important to focus on what you have power over and for me death is not one of those things.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
If I really think about it and the finality of it, yes. But I just don't and try to live my life as well as I can.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, every time I think about it I get crippling anxiety. On the plus side I use that fear to motivate me to live my life to the fullest.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes. I don't want to die. Living is awesome. Fuck dying.

COME ON IMMORTALITY TECHNOLOGY. GIVE IT TO ME.

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018
nope, my family's deaths frighten me much more than my own

Yeah this. I feel really sad and scared knowing that, at best, I'll live long enough to see my parents and possibly my brothers and my wife die. At worst I might have a kid that dies. Thinking about that bothers me so much more than thinking about my own death.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope. No sense stressing about what you cant control.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Death's a dude.
1bb.jpg

Oct 28, 2017
Not really. I just hope there's something awesome on the other side. Like a Costco but all they sell is I've cream cakes and they're free.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
If I go in a nice way then no, a slightly less pleasant end if it involves naked ladies is just about acceptable

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. I don't want to die. Living is awesome. Fuck dying.

COME ON IMMORTALITY TECHNOLOGY. GIVE IT TO ME.
Damn right.

Whenever this topic comes up and people say "I wouldn't want to be immortal" I think they must be off their rockers. Not me though; robot bodies, being uploaded to the matrix, whatever else, as long as my consciousness continues it's good with me.

vertigo

Aug 25, 2018
Brooklyn
real talk i had horrible death anxiety (would wake up in the middle of the night in cold sweats, couldnt sleep, couldnt move sometimes) but then i started doing ac*d and it helped me to move past those fears

edit also im new so i dont know the rules about mentioning drugs?

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
While I don't look forward to it, I think I am ok with it. Life is a gift. We are so lucky to have been at the right place at the right time with all the stars aligned for us to even experience this ride. If it ends tomorrow, I think I will go with a smile because I did enjoy my time here on earth, I have lived pretty selfishly, but I don't have complaints, like I am and have been content.

Life is a gift. Death comes for us all. I hope there is something more after, I mean when you think of the infinite universe, space, time, and what this all means, there has to be more.

In case there is nothing more, and like a plant dying that's it, then it was one hell of a ride, good and bad, it was a hell of a ride.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Fear is irrelevant; death happens regardless.

Might as well make the best of it in the meantime.

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
To my very core. If I can't sleep at night and thoughts about it creep in, I entertain myself with something until I fall asleep.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The concept of death doesn't particularly frighten me.

It's not a process I look forward to, and I'm sure given the prospect of imminent death I'd be frightened at enduring it, but the actual experience of being dead holds no more terror for me than the unfathomable number of years of non-existence that passed for me to get here.

I wasn't hungry in 1845.

I wasn't nervous in 1312.

I wasn't bored in the time of the dinosaurs.

I just wasn't. And some day I will not be again.

Oct 28, 2017
While I don't look forward to it, I think I am ok with it. Life is a gift. We are so lucky to have been at the right place at the right time with all the stars aligned for us to even experience this ride. If it ends tomorrow, I think I will go with a smile because I do enjoy my time here on earth, I have lived pretty selfishly, but I don't have complaints, like I am and have been content.

Life is a gift. Death comes for us all. I hope there is something more after, I mean when you think of the infinite universe, space, time, and what this all means, there has to be more.

In case there is nothing more, and like a plant dying that's it, then it was one hell of a ride, good and bad, it was a hell of a ride.

Plants go to hell. It's in the Bible.

Oct 27, 2017
I turned 50 this year and it has made me think about my mortality for the first time in my life.

Not a good feeling

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm afraid of people watching waste away while I piss and shit myself. Death itself? Not in the least.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. I figure that when I die, I'll either be gone from existence and not have to worry about anything or I'll still exist in some form and thus be fine.

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am mostly fine with the stuff you're talking about in the OP. Death is solace to me.
To me non existence is going to be the best sleep I've ever had and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to it.
I feel this way as well. Both my granddads had sudden deaths (one was murdered, the other died of cancer super quickly), but both my grandmothers had horrible prolonged diseases (COPD, the other Dementia). As a single 40+ year old with no kids, there is no way I want to live past my 60s and end up in a geriatric care unit not knowing who the hell I am or why I'm plugged to a bunch of machines. Once my pets are gone I'll probably just try to die of hypothermia somewhere up in a remote location.

I am terrified of dying in a bed or hospital, all alone and confused.

Oct 25, 2017
Not as much as it used to.

I'm scared to not exist anymore, but living forever just sounds exhausting. And a our future isn't exactly promising. Thankfully I'm still in my 20s.

It's been a good year or two since I had panic attack thinking about it.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Im more afraid of dying slowly, like cancer. Getting shot, dying in car accident and so on don't.

If my number is up my number is up.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Used to when I was a kid, but when my mind expanded (i.e. when I grew up), I realized that while we can prolong the inevitable (by exercising, eating healthy--though even that doesn't guarantee anything), we can't escape it. We're all on borrowed time.

Khamsinvera

Oct 31, 2017
Not my own, I'm ready for that one - I mean, wtf is it taking sooooo long? I'm doing all the right things - smoking, drinking, horrible diet, etc. This is bullshit ...

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to think that I don't, but I won't truly know the answer until I'm actually at the point of dying.

I don't fear the afterworld per se, as there's really nothing at the end anyway, but I don't know how I'll actually react once life regrets start sinking in.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I lost my last grandparent about a year ago now and I've been thinking about my eventual death and my parents as well. I'm 36. When it's my time to go, it's my time to go, it's something I can't control.

The thought of not existing honestly scares the hell out of me, but at the same time, I've accepted it.

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have too much going on to think about death. My most intrusive thoughts are usually related to my past shitty behavior.