• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Aw yeah, swapped out my Protector and War Magus for a Hero and Sovereign, and even though they were like 7 levels behind the rest of my team, they helped me crush the 4th labyrinth's boss. Yes, feeling much better about my team now.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Still picking away at the fifth stratum.

Wasn't expecting a fifth floor; it just keeps going and going...

Hero and sovereign is such a great combo. I'm surprised how little work it is to keep everyone healed most of the time. Looking forward to unlocking subclasses, whenever that happens.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Just finished the main campaign this morning. Hero and Sovereign do provide a really strong team backbone, it was so rare that I had to dedicate a turn to healing items or removing debuffs when the Sovereign can do that and other stuff or restore TP etc.

Added a medic through subclass to cover revives but rarely used it.

All in all I was really happy with the game, although a joke in the credits sequence fell flat for me. Wasn't overly impressed with so many floors of shrines with samey designs either. However, it reminded me of lots of stuff that I've enjoyed about the series that I otherwise forgotten, and seeing as it's twice as long as several of the games it was good value too. It's certainly left me looking forward to what they do next with EO.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently poking at the ninth labyrinth now. I cruised through the 8th labyrinth's boss fight (having subclassing finally available helped a bit there); may need help on the blossom bridge maze as I'm not getting one of the last floating-block puzzles.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame the Alpha Ruins are not the
EO1 1st Stratum.
I understand they want the shrines have some visual likeness to the main labyrinths, but still feel wrong because the enemies there... At least the Skolls give nice experience defeat them hehe.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
When did you guys take down the Bounding Beast? I just did it at level 42 and I was wondering if it could have been done earlier.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol.... Wait to you get to Dinogator. I forsee lots of ragequitting of the game.

Which isn't entirely unwarranted. They're pretty much impossible without one of 3 specific classes/setups, one of which involves Vampire, and another that funnily enough utilizes a shield you buy with Dinotyrant drop (which should be trivial at that point). Thankfully the third option is pretty common. Or maybe ganking it with 3-4 Gunners.

Also Gourmet Pelicans in the final Labyrinth. Post-game is probably the most lopsided difficulty spike in series history (FOEs at least, randoms remain underwhelming).

Last edited:

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, I'm getting back into this series. 4 was my first Etrian and I've had Untold 1 around for a few years and am just getting around to playing it. Is there any possible reason to prioritize getting Untold 2 over 5 or Nexus? It looks like the reception for it is pretty mixed and I'm not interested in the story mode either. My plans are to get it someday but right now I'm looking more toward picking up 5 or Nexus.

On that note, I don't need to worry about Nexus becoming impossible to find or shooting up in price for awhile, right? I would preferably like to play through 1 and 5 before buying it, but it's probably going to have a shorter print run than the rest of the 3DS entries and I don't want to miss out. I'd rather not have to go digital with it either because I don't care for how archaic the whole digital ecosystem is for the 3DS.

I'm really hating that 3 never got a remake as well, because while I'd like to play it, between the high price point and the fact that going back to it now would mean losing all of the quality of life changes the series has been getting throughout the years, I just can't see myself picking it up unless I happen to run into a used copy somewhere.

Edit: Crap. I meant to post this in the main Etrian Community thread and not the Nexus OT. I hope this post being in here isn't a problem.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Honestly I'd grab Nexus. The print run will be small and people are talking about it while playing it through at the moment as it's only a couple of weeks old.

Mr. Capo

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This caught me off-guard.
2lTk4vU.png

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I'm finding this one much more difficult and punishing than IV and V. So bad I often simply turn it off in frustration. I'm not sure if it's normal but the FOE in this one are so much annoying. I'm trying to do some shrine and you do one misstep and poof you're done since the FOE wipes you out before you can run. I said not bad I'll try the FOE on the world map then and poof dead again. Okay I'll try that other shrine I skipped earlier because it was too hard so I get to the boss and it's way too strong too. I just don't feel like progressing at all unlike IV and V.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm finding this one much more difficult and punishing than IV and V. So bad I often simply turn it off in frustration. I'm not sure if it's normal but the FOE in this one are so much annoying. I'm trying to do some shrine and you do one misstep and poof you're done since the FOE wipes you out before you can run. I said not bad I'll try the FOE on the world map then and poof dead again. Okay I'll try that other shrine I skipped earlier because it was too hard so I get to the boss and it's way too strong too. I just don't feel like progressing at all unlike IV and V.

What main labyrinth you are at?

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017

im playing in heroic. so far im in lab 6 and no foe can kill my party before running away.
what is your current party setup

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
What main labyrinth you are at?
im playing in heroic. so far im in lab 6 and no foe can kill my party before running away.
what is your current party setup

5th one. Hero/Sovereign/Imperial/Gunner/Harbinger

I find the shrines to be really hard so far. Every time I got hit by the FOEs in the 4th labyrinth I died. The wolves shrine I gave up because if I misstep once they all rush you into oblivion and one shot my Sovereign while the hero tanks with his shield. I'm also using the sovereign that heals with each buff and the hero that heals with each skills. The statues one was painful too and the boss I gave up on it. I also tried the FOE on the world map (the one from IV) and I got blasted into oblivion.

I beat IV and V no problem but here I always seem to run into walls unfortunately.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
You're just fighting FOEs you're not ready to go up against. Giant's Ruins can really fuck you up if you don't know what's the gimmick of the FOEs, though Golem isn't that hard. The Rebel Wolves in the 5th Labyrinth are just weirdly balanced and the fire attack makes it much stronger than the other FOEs in the labyrinth. It's one of those FOEs where a Protector really helps. And the Bounding Beast you're not even ready to take until high level 30s.

Oct 25, 2017
You're just fighting FOEs you're not ready to go up against. Giant's Ruins can really fuck you up if you don't know what's the gimmick of the FOEs, though Golem isn't that hard. The Rebel Wolves in the 5th Labyrinth are just weirdly balanced and the fire attack makes it much stronger than the other FOEs in the labyrinth. It's one of those FOEs where a Protector really helps. And the Bounding Beast you're not even ready to take until high level 30s.

Bounding Beast can be taken around level 25 if you know what you are doing. And by know what you are doing, I mean Para, Blind and Arm bind, with enough damage to kill before you've burned those too many times. It is definitely a harder fight that you can't feel bad about ignoring for a long while.

Still, I'm finding the balance on Nexus to be a bit weird. I'm in the 5th Lab too, and I've felt that FOEs, bosses and regular encounters feel really all over the place. But I also feel that each classes balance is all over the place too. Like everyone says, Sovereign and Hero are easily the top two. I feel like a lot of other classes suffer from weird choices though. Between skill cost, distrobution and anyone not in heavy armor being really squishy, it feels a bit more awkward to navigate. I haven't played with all of the classes yet (Missing Ronin, Harbinger, Arcanist, Farmer, Imperial and Zodiac) though, and I am on Heroic(Expert), so that may explain some things.

Landshark, and to a lesser extend, Gunner feel really TP limited early on. Gunner has much better options to handle it, and ramp up on TP much faster, but linkshark feels really medicore early on. Their skills cost too much to use for a whole fight, but links aren't good until you get them up in level. Improved Link is hard to manage as a buff this time around and costs a lot. You're left in a weird situation, where you either feed tp items (Hamao at this point) to them, or watch them burn out really quick. Even if you go for their physical builds, 8 tp a shot on Double Strike is a lot for their small tp pool.Gunner feels a lot more fair, since their TP pool is larger, they get TP Up, and the results from their attacks are pretty respectable.

Then their are classes like Pug and Highlander, who are really just starved on points early on. It always feels like you are playing a lesser / far from complete version of themselves. Highlander starts to feel right around Vet, but Pug is still pretty point starved. On the flip side, I feel Ninja falls into this when jumping into Vet. Too many skills, not a lot of points, and most importantly, they all feel lesser than they should a lot of the way through. Sovereign comes close to this, but manages to feel better to use at half-steps, likely because there are fewer skills you feel like you need at any point (limited to 3 buffs anyway at a time). Hero also dodges this by having a lot of skills that are respectable at low investment.

Oddly enough, I think that Survivalist is the most balanced feeling class right now. Good variety of skills, useful at lower investments, supportive stuff, and no skill level feels overloaded. Shogun is a close second (more an issue of being expensive), and Nightseeker being third (useful ailments, stronger attacks early on, but proficiency and other passives feel pretty heavy on investment).

Medic feels like it always does. The question of, what do I do when I have nothing to heal.

War Magus feels awkward, but I need to give it another shot with Nightseeker. The skills and cost are on point for an attacker. The heals are pretty weak though.

For reference, I was running two parties of

Lands / Hero
Sovereign / Gunner / Ninja

Shogun (V) / Highlander / Pug
Medic / Survivalist

to start, but have shifted a few times. War Magus was bounced around a few times, but never made it as a regular on any specific team.

Right now I'm on

Shogun (V) / Highlander / Nightseeker
Sovereign / Gunner

(Still working on this one. Link focus make it a bit tough)
Lands / Hero / (Pug / WM / Medic)
Survivalist / Ninja

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
On the last floor of the 9th Labyrinth and I still don't know what to subclass my Zodiac as, besides maybe just going with Imperial for the four skill points in elemental damage. Any ideas?

For reference, my party looks like this
Hero/Imperial (for elemental damage boost and drive blades, maybe accel drive later on)
Protector/Highlander (for the "damage down on multiple hits" skill and bloody offense)
Nightseeker/Shogun (Peerless Demon for swift edge)
Zodiac (no idea what to sub this as)
Arcanist/Harbinger (for the miasmas to proc aliments/binds more often and to give her more to do between circles)

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Took the plunge and ordered this. It's supposedly going to arrive on the 28th so it's going to be cutting it a litttlllee close for getting the portrait DLC free.

And whooo boy, I have no idea what I'm going to do for a party. I was expecting to get 5 first so any party planning I've been doing has been for that game. Really, really wish Nexus had a demo so I could experiment a bit before the game gets here, like I was doing with 5.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
5th one. Hero/Sovereign/Imperial/Gunner/Harbinger

I find the shrines to be really hard so far. Every time I got hit by the FOEs in the 4th labyrinth I died. The wolves shrine I gave up because if I misstep once they all rush you into oblivion and one shot my Sovereign while the hero tanks with his shield. I'm also using the sovereign that heals with each buff and the hero that heals with each skills. The statues one was painful too and the boss I gave up on it. I also tried the FOE on the world map (the one from IV) and I got blasted into oblivion.

I beat IV and V no problem but here I always seem to run into walls unfortunately.

Why is your harbringer in the backlane and the soverign in the front? shouldnt it be the other way around? id say maybe both on the back but.. imperials tend to die in one hit when trying to do their drives and having less bodies in the front lane means higher chances for them to die

you are fighting things you are not supposed to fight yet. The shirines are there for you to clear when you get strong enough, I tried both when they unlocked and quickly realized I had to leave and comeback later. Heck the boss in the statues dungeon revives with half its hp after you kill it so its imposible to defeat it without tp restoring items or a large enough tp pool after several level ups. Stick to the main dungeons, do the shirines whenever

Bounding Beast can be taken around level 25 if you know what you are doing. And by know what you are doing, I mean Para, Blind and Arm bind, with enough damage to kill before you've burned those too many times. It is definitely a harder fight that you can't feel bad about ignoring for a long while.

I tried it that early but i didnt have enough burst and my binds werent reliable enough at the time. I guess it should be possible if you happen to have the right party

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Just beat labyrinth 10. Maze 6 still has the boss left, I will probably do that after maybe 2 floors in Labyrinth 11.

I found labyinrth 10 really easy, especially compared to lab 9. Nothing really threatening in there for me. But I can see the boss being a problem without the right skills.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Finally unlocked subclassing and after spending almost a hour trying to figure out what I wanted I think I've found the right mix:

High Hero: Hero/Highlander: I think the Highlander's passives are great for my hero.
Chaos Magus: War Magus/Arcanist: Access to status up and more skills to assist with status effects
Highblade: Highlander/Ronin: For the Ronin's passives
Gun Harvester: Gunner/Farmer: This is moreso for the Farmer's out of battle skills
Cmdr. Princess: Princess/Shogun: Taking advantage of the Shogun's buffs and using the command skills to so princess can help with damage even if it's just ordering the rest of the party to do another round of normal attacks..

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
I geninually though Harpuria was just a mid startum boss and didnt upgrade my gear before fighting it.
I had the same gear from the last stratum.. so that was harder than it should had been

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
On the last floor of the 9th Labyrinth and I still don't know what to subclass my Zodiac as, besides maybe just going with Imperial for the four skill points in elemental damage. Any ideas?

For reference, my party looks like this
Hero/Imperial (for elemental damage boost and drive blades, maybe accel drive later on)
Protector/Highlander (for the "damage down on multiple hits" skill and bloody offense)
Nightseeker/Shogun (Peerless Demon for swift edge)
Zodiac (no idea what to sub this as)
Arcanist/Harbinger (for the miasmas to proc aliments/binds more often and to give her more to do between circles)
I plugged my Zodiac as a medic subclass. Having revive / unbind / refresh on tap is a nice occasional benefit, and the Zodiac TP pool gets so hilariously huge at later levels that I never really have to worry about exhausting it.

Having said that, as it's a subclass, unbind and refresh can't be leveled up to target rows, and I am running into a lot of late-game enemies who can nail multiple characters with binds or status ailments in one hit. Also, my Zodiac is by far my squishiest character, and you can't cast Revive if you're dead. I considered making my Sovereign a Medic subclass, but she's pretty much always fully booked on maintaining buffs.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017

At least it means I was not crazy. I'll just come back later.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Realizing that nobody in this thread has mentioned it, so I'll say it: as someone from the US, it's a bit jarring to encounter a high-ranking gray-haired government official named Mueller in the game. Given the timeline for developing the game, I'm going to guess that he's not an intentional reference to US politics. And his name wasn't altered by the localization team; I heard his name in the Japanese voiceover at some point. But it's just possible that someone at Atlus was looking to name a foreign elder-statesman type character, looked at the headlines in 2017, and thought "hey, that'd do nicely."

OP
OP
Zen Hero

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Yay I finally unlocked subclassing! Here's the party I'm thinking of:

Hero / Imperial: The plan is to spawn afterimages with Imperial attacks for big damage.

Protector / Harbinger: Wasn't really sure what to do with my protector, but I guess I'll take some passive defense boost from miasma armor, and throw out some debuffs.

Gunner / Ronin: Ronin is here basically just for attack buffs and passives.

Sovereign / Survivalist: Sovereign has enough to do, the main thing I want survivalist for is to scapegoat my protector, and also for some field skills.

Arcanist / War Magus: Previously I had been using a medic, but I want to try this character for more utility, and let my sovereign heal more. War magus is here for bind / ailment healing, but I'm concerned he can only do one character at a time. I guess we'll see how it goes.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Realizing that nobody in this thread has mentioned it, so I'll say it: as someone from the US, it's a bit jarring to encounter a high-ranking gray-haired government official named Mueller in the game. Given the timeline for developing the game, I'm going to guess that he's not an intentional reference to US politics. And his name wasn't altered by the localization team; I heard his name in the Japanese voiceover at some point. But it's just possible that someone at Atlus was looking to name a foreign elder-statesman type character, looked at the headlines in 2017, and thought "hey, that'd do nicely."
I think it's more likely that they wanted a Germanic/Teutonic sounding name for a stoic knight, and Mueller is a very common name in Germany. 'Major Mueller Vander' in Trails in the Sky/Cold Steel does this to the same effect for a skilled, tenacious military officer, and that goes back a long way. Obviously strongly associated with US politics right now but still, I think it's thematic rather than a reference to a real-life person.

A bit like how Persephone is chosen because 'Queen of the Underworld in Greek mythology, also associated with vegetation and spring as the shoots of new growth reach upwards from underground' is an evocative and thematic choice of name for a ruler in a labyrinth-exploration game based around a giant dungeon and a huge tree!

Last edited:

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I assumed re:Mueller, just couldn't help noticing it.

Trying to clear the 9th labyrinth b5f now and I seem to be stuck in the Northeast corner. Is there some clever way out of here that doesn't involve waking (or at least fighting) the sleeping FOEs?

Edit: as ever, it involves waking them up and letting a horde of FOEs chase after you.

Last edited:

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
I guess I should post my subclasses too.

Protector/Highlander: Bloodlust works with main tanks pretty well, plus additional physical def with the passives. Delayed Charge is nice for any off turns.

Imperial/Hero: Hero and Imperial combinations are pretty popular but double Drives are too good to miss.

Sovereign/Medic: mainly for the revive, but the heals are good for emergencies where your Reinforce heals just isn't enough. Sovereigns are such a complete package on their own that they can use any sub though.

Gunner/Nightseeker: I have a dedicated ailment class so Follow Trace and Proficiency is pretty much on most of the time. Together with Multi-shot and Double Action she can potentially activate a skill 4 times! It's great for those pesky enemies who are resistant to binds, and quad Charged Shots are amazing.

Ninja/Nightseeker: aka the dedicated ailment class. I'm not running clones because of Hero, but she is still pretty good without them. With access to Panic, Sleep, Petrify, and Poison she's pretty much allows my Imperial and Gunner to lay down the big attacks without dying. She also carries the knife with the poison pierce attack so she has another way to inflict that without relying on Caltrops. Ninjas are pretty amazing and will succeed pretty much every adventure check so everyone should have one. Totally not biased at all.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
lol my imperial went from having tp problems to having too much tp
impulse edge is amazing both while exploring and boss battles

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Am I doing something horribly wrong? I don't feel like I'm getting the en it says I'm getting from chests that I find out in the field.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
What exactly do you mean? Like a chest that gives you 2000 EN isn't actually giving you 2000 EN?
Yeah, I opened up a chest that said I had got 300EN and went back to town and I had far less. I'm in the first maze and nothing indicated I would have lost anything. Maybe I just did a dumb and that's it, but I feel this happened earlier.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm going to defeat Skolls until I'm bored/don't receive a lot of experience from them. Hey, I could use them to catch up some backup units until they can start to learn mid-tier skills :P

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Maze 6 boss down and Labyrinth 11 done. :A

Up next: Maze 7 and Labyrinth 12. Tomorrow I will probably take a look at Maze 7 first. Also got a few more conditional drops from the "low level" bosses.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, just unlocked subclassing, and... someone help me, as I'm too lazy to give it deep thought.

Party is Ronin, Hero, Sovereign, Gunner, Zodiac. (Honestly never feel like I quite know what to do with subclassing, haha.)

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
If in doubt, Nightseeker and Robin are the subclasses to go for for any damage class. Hero/Imperial is popular cause it gives you reliable double drives, and Sovereigns can pretty much run any support classes.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That feel when you do over 5000 damage in a single attack (a single hit even). Seriously regiment rave is so fucking good, and it synergizes so well with my imperials drives

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
That feel when you do over 5000 damage in a single attack (a single hit even). Seriously regiment rave is so fucking good, and it synergizes so well with my imperials drives
So far I found that the be the most useless elemental attack of the hero. Then again, mine is more defensively build and hasn't maxed it yet.

I finished Maze 7 yesterday. What a nightmare. The boss took me 70 turns and the battle probably took 40+ minutes or so. At last I also got the conditional drop out of it.

Up next is Labyrinth 12.

OP
OP
Zen Hero

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of regiment rave, does anyone know what the cap on its damage is? The skill simulator mentions it adds 40% of the damage of your other characters up to some cap. Does the cap rise as you level it up?

Also: It gets damage from your afterimage's attack, right? That's how I've been planning on utilizing it, hopefully it actually works that way...

Stryda

Aug 20, 2018
Hey sorry to intrude but hows everyone liking the game? I bought it day 1 to support but I want to get through EOU, U2, and 5 before I get to Nexus. I only finished 4 but wanna know what I'm heading to

idlethreats

Oct 28, 2017
Starting this a few weeks late cause I had to go back and finish V first. I'm near the end of the 3rd Lab and super addicted, even though I'm playing it back to back. My guild:

Hero/Shogun/War Magus
Ninja/Sovereign

I second guessed having both a Hero and Ninja in my party a lot early on, but so far it's been working out well. I try to mix it up each game by using classes I've never used before (though I'm repeating WM from EOII). Reading this thread has me kinda wanting to try out an Imperial or Arcanist, but idk, I get so attached to my teams. I've always started and finished each EO with the same group of five, switching someone out feels so disloyal haha.

I finished Maze 7 yesterday. What a nightmare. The boss took me 70 turns and the battle probably took 40+ minutes or so. At last I also got the conditional drop out of it.
Holy shit. That sounds brutal.