Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
Marty Stratton: No. We're actually working with Panic Button again, but before, we made the game and then we brought it to Switch, and now we are making the game with Switch in mind. It's nice to know the platforms we want to hit up front.

What does this mean?

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Marty Stratton: No. We're actually working with Panic Button again, but before, we made the game and then we brought it to Switch, and now we are making the game with Switch in mind. It's nice to know the platforms we want to hit up front.

What does this mean?

The last few games have been ports of games that came out before the Switch was a thing, this game is being developed from the ground up with Switch in mind.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
as long as Nintendo is a generation behind in tech, the majority of the AAA 3rd party shooters will continue to be 30fps.You can argue that next gen will try to prioritize 4k resolution, while Nintendo could have ps4 graphics and try to get 1080p a standard, but next gen is supposed to have a huge upgrade in cpu power too. Not sure how Nintendo will match that unless they make a console on par with the competition that is separate from the hybrid.

switch is not a generation behind, especially in tech.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Precision aiming not really a necessity to Doom.

If you're playing on advanced difficulty levels and like to play aggressively then precision aiming definitely helps. It's integral enough to the experience for me that I'm not playing DOOM Eternal until I can replace my GPU and play it on PC. I enjoy the game much more with the precision aiming that a mouse affords (and because I get a lot of milage out of being able to switch to any weapon instantly, which I can do with m/kb)

test_account

Oct 25, 2017

What does this mean?
I think it just means that they consider the Switch SKU from the get go. I dont think it means that the PC/PS4/Xbox One version is being compromised to fit the Switch version. But it might be easier to make the Switch version when its being considered from day 1 (or early) during developement.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
It's funny for them to say that 30fps is "no sacrifice to the experience" at the same time that they make a big deal about it being at 60 on other platforms. I would definitely say that the high framerate makes a huge difference to me in Doom!
Pr speak obviously it isn't the same experience at 20-30fps but they don't want to doom the Switch port

Edigar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Can anyone tell me why this game couldn't run at 60fps using the same trick as Mario Odyssey, that reconstruction thing?

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That line will worry some...

I remember a person was worried that a game with Switch in mind would somehow hold back the potential for the other console releases for the game

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
You're talking about modern tools right?I Its a souped up Wii u that is 4x weaker than the PS4 in GPU, twice in CPU, 2X in ram and speed(3vs5), and 4-5x in bandwidth.
It's bottle necks are enough to make dynamic 1080p 60fps AAA 3rd party games into dynamic 720p 30fps with cuts in texture, lighting, AA, shadows, and polygons. Don't count on devs taking advantage of mixed precision for the Multiplat AAA 3rd party games, cause it's not happening. We're lucky we're getting ports for Doom, but it doesn't look like we'll get cod or any other blockbuster hits anymore.

Oh and for sure It's a 100% behind PS4 PRO and Xbone, which it came out around the same time as them. The switch is a portable console though, so sacrifices have to be made... But it should get a stand alone home dedicated console sooner than later to close the power gap with the competition.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny for them to say that 30fps is "no sacrifice to the experience" at the same time that they make a big deal about it being at 60 on other platforms. I would definitely say that the high framerate makes a huge difference to me in Doom!

It's give and take really. You give up some frames to take the game with you on the go along with gyro aiming. Then there are people who can't really tell the difference between frames like myself and other people I know.

Marine

Oct 28, 2017
I really just cant stand playing FPS games on consoles anymore ever since I switched to PC. Playing FPS titles on a high refresh monitor with a mouse and keyboard is just an amazing experience. But, I am glad to see more developers supporting the switch.

MisterMangu

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
Assuming Nintendo does a full revision (i.e. new chip/node and not just an overclock or something), I really think Switch ports will benefit immensely from it. Anything to help bridge the gap between it and Xbox One/PS4 will probably be a gift for every major publisher who wants to profit from Switch users.

A gift for devs and a dream for us.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
You're talking about modern tools right?I Its a souped up Wii u that is 4x weaker than the PS4 in GPU, twice in CPU, 2X in ram and speed, and 4-5x in bandwidth.
It's bottle necks are enough to make dynamic 1080p 60fps AAA 3rd party games into dynamic 720p 30fps with cuts in texture, lighting, AA, shadows, and polygons. Don't count on devs taking advantage of mixed precision for the Multiplat AAA 3rd party games, cause it's not happening.

Oh and for sure It's a 100% behind PS4 PRO and Xbone, which it came out around the same time as them. The switch is a portable console though, so sacrifices have to be made... But it should get a stand alone home dedicated console sooner than later to close the power gap with the competition.
Calling the Switch a "souped up WiiU" shows you have no idea what you're talking about.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I will never touch 30FPS game version if I have a platform that can run a shooter in 60, but I guess I'm happy for those who don't mind :P

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
You're talking about modern tools right?I Its a souped up Wii u that is 4x weaker than the PS4 in GPU, twice in CPU, 2X in ram and speed(3vs5), and 4-5x in bandwidth.
It's bottle necks are enough to make dynamic 1080p 60fps AAA 3rd party games into dynamic 720p 30fps with cuts in texture, lighting, AA, shadows, and polygons. Don't count on devs taking advantage of mixed precision for the Multiplat AAA 3rd party games, cause it's not happening. We're lucky we're getting ports for Doom, but it doesn't look like we'll get cod or any other blockbuster hits anymore.

Unreal engine 4 supports FP16, and so does iD engine 7. What exactly are you talking about?

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
Its a souped up Wii u that is 4x weaker than the PS4 in GPU, twice in CPU, 2X in ram and speed, and 4-5x in bandwidth.
It's enough to make dynamic 1080p 60fps games into dynamic 720p 30fps with cuts in texture, lighting, AA, shadows, and polygons.

For sure It's a 100% behind PS4 PRO and Xbone, which it came out around the same time as them. The switch is a portable console though, so sacrifices have to be made... But it should get a stand alone home dedicated console sooner than later to close the power gap with the competition.

And while the Switch shares the current shaers

Lol so explain how is Rocket league 900p/60fps, how is Outlast 2 1008p/30fps with very little cuts, how is Paladins 900-720/60fps, how is Dragonball fighter Z 900-1080/60fps, how are Ark survival Evolved and Warframe even coming

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
The only bad thing about this is the game is too far away. Switch is facing a drought this fall and needs more game announcements for this year urgently. I wish Doom Eternal was a fall 2018 game.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Calling the Switch a "souped up WiiU" shows you have no idea what you're talking about.
I have much more of an idea than you think. Please entertain me and try to refute that a sub ~400GFLOPs GPU power console isn't a souped up Wii U that has 176 GFLOPs. It has 2x the RAM as the Wii U(and faster), but dreadful bandwidth(only 2x as much), and a moderately more powerful CPU. It's bandwidth is why Doom doesn't even have a stable 720p resolution, and why Botw is 900p instead of 1080p, and bayonetta is 720p in docked modes.

We will see 1st party devs take more advantage of the console and work around weaknesses, but not majority of 3rd parties, especially multi ports

The difference in power between xbone x and Xbone is significantly greater than Wii u and Switch.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
Nice to have on Switch and really any platform but the game is much better with 60 fps or better, which isn't happening there.

Even if I had a Switch I wouldn't get this version, portability isn't a good enough replacement for the 60 fps.

For travelling sounds good though.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Considering Doom to Wolf 2 seemed pretty impressive, I'm curious to see how "Building it with Switch in mind" will help with visual fidelity.

Yeah, this is the interesting part from a tech perspective. So far, DOOM, Rocket League and Wolfenstein were after-the-fact ports from Panic Button. I'm really curious to see what they can do with a game that's intended to be on Switch from day one (and on their third rodeo with the engine, no less). Exciting stuff.

Getting it there for sure, gyro is life. Hopefully the inevitable required download won't be massive.

I share your hopes, but I'm not getting those hopes up. DOOM is still the biggest download I have on my Switch. Would be cool if they let us choose to download single and multiplayer separately, or something similar, to save on space (but I'd rather have the file size than lots of compression, if it affects fidelity).

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I have much more of an idea than you think. Please entertain me and try to refute that a sub ~400GFLOPs GPU power console isn't a souped up Wii U that has 176 GFLOPs. It has 2x the RAM as the Wii U(and faster), but dreadful bandwidth(only 2x as much), and a moderately more powerful CPU. It's bandwidth is why Doom doesn't even have a stable 720p resolution, and why Botw is 900p instead of 1080p, and bayonetta is 720p in docked modes.

We will see 1st party devs take more advantage of the console and work around weaknesses, but not majority of 3rd parties, especially multi ports

The difference in power between xbone x and Xbone is significantly greater than Wii u and Switch.
Comparing FLOPs like this doesn't help your point... Same thing for just basic number comparisons.
Features are widely different.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Lol so explain how is Rocket league 900p/60fps, how is Outlast 2 1008p/30fps with very little cuts, how is Paladins 900-720/60fps, how is Dragonball fighter Z 900-1080/60fps, how are Ark survival Evolved and Warframe even coming
Because they aren't CPU heavy games that don't tax the consoles nearly as heavy as other AAA third parties do? And even then, there are still sacrifices in resolution (dynamic as well), fidelity(textures, lighting, shadows) that show that the switch is 4x weaker than PS4. Not many devs will take advtange of mixed precision, not the blockbuster games.

Mr.Gamerson

Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested to see how much closer they may be able to get to the target 720p/30fps considering this game looks noticeably better than the last.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Good news for Nintendo fans, but Doom is one of those games I play for the fast and fluid shooting. I wish they would have made more sacrifices for 60fps on the Switch

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Joke post? Smash and Pokémon alone...

Yep, that's the problem. They are alone. There's nothing else other than them, VP4, Mario Party and that Musou game. A light fall lineup for Nintendo, catered specifically for Smash fans and Pokémon go players.

Personally, I'm not interested in Smash or Pokémon remake, so that leaves me with... Valkyria Chronicles 4. Just that. Maybe Mario Party too but that's not a single player game. I wish Bethesda ported more games to Switch. The wait for Doom Eternal is going to be agonizing.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
Because they aren't CPU heavy games that don't tax the consoles nearly as heavy as other AAA third parties do? And even then, there are still sacrifices in resolution (dynamic as well), fidelity(textures, lighting, shadows) that show that the switch is 4x weaker than PS4. Not many devs will take advtange of mixed precision, not the blockbuster games.
You going to explain the bollocks you were spouting with modern developers not taking advantage of mixed precision, despite the new iD engine and Unreal Engine 4 both very much doing so?

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Come on Bethesda, get a bigger cartridge for the game this time. Have a little faith in us.

Did they port anything to Switch? I know they were quite the prominent porting studio in the Wii U days but I haven't actually heard about any work they did for Switch.
They are responsible for Sonic Mania's Switch version.

Oct 25, 2017

Yes it is. It supports modern libraries and tools but in terms of pure grunt it's easily a gen behind.

It's good that switch is getting all of this support because Sales=more games from Nintendo (the main reason I have mine) but some crazy stuff gets said re: switch power.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Comparing FLOPs like this doesn't help your point... Same thing for just basic number comparisons.
Features are widely different.
Look at all the ports on the switch, and the majority of current ge Multiplat ports on switch. It's one thing if a 1st party developer builds a game from the ground up and work around it's bottlenecks with mixed precision mode, but the Wii u/last gen ports haven't showed significant improvement outside 1.5x-2x the resolution or 10-15fps stability. The Switch is 4.5x weaker than PS4 in GPU power and bandwidth on paper. It's bottleneck in RAM and CPU shows especially. It's enough that taxing games would drop 1080p 60fps games to 720p 30fps with lower fidelity and frame rate stability on switch.

The switch having most of the modern shaders as PS4/xbone doesn't help it considerably when it's lacking in raw spec power because of it's hybrid nature. We can agree to disagree on the definition of souped up, but the gap between xbone and Xbone x and even switch and PS4 is wider than Wii U and Switch in power. Switch is 2-3x more powerful than Wii U at most in GPU if you count mixed precision mode. But the bandwidth is the main bottleneck, and the CPU being 2x as less powerful bottlenecks it in demanding games as well. The GPU is scaleable, but compensating for the CPU isn't going to help much.

Anyway, I don't want this topic to be about switch's shortcomings. Just wanted to point out that they should come out with a stand alone console that closes the gap in power with next gen consoles. I'm not replying to this thread anymore, and I am adamant that the switch's power isn't even half a gen leap over Wii u. Falls short on bandwidth especially.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
It's absolutely fantastic that it's coming along with the other versions. I might buy the switch version just to try it out on my switch but my main version will either be the console or PC version. I'm not sure I can enjoy doom to the fullest if it isn't in 60fps

Clix

Banned
Yep, that's the problem. They are alone. There's nothing else other than them, VP4, Mario Party and that Musou game. A light fall lineup for Nintendo, catered specifically for Smash fans and Pokémon go players.

Personally, I'm not interested in Smash or Pokémon remake, so that leaves me with... Valkyria Chronicles 4. Just that. Maybe Mario Party too but that's not a single player game. I wish Bethesda ported more games to Switch. The wait for Doom Eternal is going to be agonizing.

Well that's not really a drought. More like not the type of games you personally like. As oppose to me, where I am all over Valkyria 4, Smash, Pokemon, Super Mario Party. But I get Pokémon and Smash isn't for everyone.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
as long as Nintendo is a generation behind in tech, the majority of the AAA 3rd party shooters will continue to be 30fps.You can argue that next gen will try to prioritize 4k resolution, while Nintendo could have ps4 graphics and try to get 1080p a standard, but next gen is supposed to have a huge upgrade in cpu power too. Not sure how Nintendo will match that unless they make a console on par with the competition that is separate from the hybrid.

1080p 30 fps vs 4k 60fps if Nintendo tries to get a 2 TFLOP console vs +12 TFLOP next gen, notably if Nintendo falls behind in CPU.

Yea that's why the switch needs its first revision by 2020 at the latest. Not because the sales will slow down or the first party won't be popular, but the third parties may no longer be willing to downgrade enough to get their games on the system. The risk of losing that support is essentially them repeating history.

But then again what seems pretty obvious is almost never the route Nintendo takes.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Yea that's why the switch needs its first revision by 2020 at the latest. Not because the sales will slow down or the first party won't be popular, but the third parties may no longer be willing to downgrade enough to get their games on the system. The risk of losing that support is essentially them repeating history.

But then again what seems pretty obvious is almost never the route Nintendo takes.

Even if it gets a revision there wont be any games that are revision only. If third parties will consider putting their games on Switch it will have to run on the base version. That is where pretty well all the users will be.