Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Yea that's why the switch needs its first revision by 2020 at the latest. Not because the sales will slow down or the first party won't be popular, but the third parties may no longer be willing to downgrade enough to get their games on the system. The risk of losing that support is essentially them repeating history.

But then again what seems pretty obvious is almost never the route Nintendo takes.

Revision or not they will still need to downgrade for it to work on the older models. Splitting the userbase by making it not work on the original switch is a bad idea so early in it's life.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Its gonna be real interesting how the difference between Doom and Doom Eternal will be on Switch.

I would assume Doom Eternal to be better overall, since Panic Button should now be more Familiar with the hardware of the switch, and that the game being designed from the very start to also come to switch should mean they can make the transition easier than it was for Doom.

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Switch doesn't get third party game > Switch has no games

Switch gets late port that understandably doesn't set charts on fire > third party games don't sell on Nintendo platforms

Switch gets third party game > IMG Switch is helding back the game

That's sad.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
I still have to finish DOOM on PC but I can tell you now that getting it on Switch is stupid tempting. May end up doing the same damn thing for Eternal

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
The Switch is far from the ideal platform for a fast paced first person shooter in my opinion, but I am very interested to see how this shapes up as a tech showcase and I'm glad fans are getting the game at launch instead of needing to wait.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Gyro aiming over 60fps any day. Nevertheless, I secretly wished that building the game with the switch in mind, they would have been able to aim for 60fps with smart graphical downgrades.
I guess they thought it wasn't worth the hassle.

Still a day 1 purchase for me.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Them thinking about the Switch version while developing it is nice.
I just hope Panic Button can make the game a little cleaner, IQ wise, than their ports of Doom and Wolf 2. I wouldn't mind a bigger cut to geometric complexity for the sake of cleaner visuals, I'm sure there is plenty they could trim down on without really damaging the visual style.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Doom 2016 in Switch plays great, I will buy this for sure. I'm also happy to support good third party games.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
I know Switch has it's limitations, but they really didn't have to justify it being 30fps with that bullshit that they just said there.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
People really need to stop comparing a small portable gaming tablet to the power hungry PS4 and Xbox Ones. Of course it's a "generation behind" it's a handheld for fucks sake. The fact it's modern architecture let's it run current gen games relatively well with some retooling is absolutely impressive.

Oct 25, 2017
NO it isn't. Resident Evil Revelations runs at 720p/30fps on last gen consoles while on switch is 1080p/60fps with lighting improvements. stop these bullshits

Resident Evil Revelations is an upscaled 3DS game. Not a great example.

And ok, sure. Ill meet you halfway. Its not an ENTIRELY FULL 100% gen behind. Its like, a mid gen refresh behind. Hopefully that makes you feel a little better.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
NO it isn't. Resident Evil Revelations runs at 720p/30fps on last gen consoles while on switch is 1080p/60fps with lighting improvements. stop these bullshits

It's definitely not 60fps. Check the DF video. Even playing it it is apparent it floats in the high 30s to mid 40s for Revelations 2 and mid to high 40s for Revelations 1.

Definitely a solid port though.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Yep, that's the problem. They are alone. There's nothing else other than them, VP4, Mario Party and that Musou game. A light fall lineup for Nintendo, catered specifically for Smash fans and Pokémon go players.

You are forgetting some titles though :P

Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate if you count it
The World Ends With You: Final Remix
Tales of Vesperia Remastered
Ark: Survival Evolved
Dragon Ball FighterZ
Dark Souls (?)
Warframe (?)

I think there will be also one or two additional announcements... but I'm not sure.

Oct 25, 2017
You are forgetting some titles though :P

monster Hunter Generations Ultimate if you count it
The World Ends With You: Final Remix
Tales of Vesperia Remastered
Ark: Survival Evolved
Dragon Ball FighterZ
Dark Souls (?)
Warframe (?)

I think there will be also one or two additional announcements... but I'm not sure.

Hyperlight Drifter and Cosmic Star Heroine arent AAA, but im looking forward to both of them more than any of these. Great games.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'll grab the Switch version at launch and then grab it on Xbox further down the line. Gyro controls and being able to rip and tear on the go is very appealing to me.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Hyperlight Drifter and Cosmic Star Heroine arent AAA, but im looking forward to both of them more than any of these. Great games.

I don't even like the term "AAA", it does nothing other than dividing games based on production value, and makes one game seems like its worth more than the other, even if it is worse or not as fun :P

I'm also excited for Undertale.

but the Wii u/last gen ports haven't showed significant improvement outside 1.5x-2x the resolution or 10-15fps stability

Going from 720p/60fps to 1080p/60fps with games like Mario Kart 8 is alone a significant improvement. its not equal to a generational jump but its still very noticeable.

he Switch is 4.5x weaker than PS4 in GPU power and bandwidth on paper. It's bottleneck in RAM and CPU shows especially. It's enough that taxing games would drop 1080p 60fps games to 720p 30fps with lower fidelity and frame rate stability on switch.

you said it, on paper. on real world usage there are a lot of additional factors.... the more modern architecture, the feature set, the API that Nvidia built specifically for the system... etc.
to be honest I feel they are closer than that.
Crash Bandicoot looks really great on Switch and very close to PS4, same with NBA 2K and some other games.
even Doom, the fact that its even possible is impressive.

I'm really excited to see what Panic Button will do with Doom Eternal on the Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even like the term "AAA", it does nothing other than dividing games based on production value, and makes one game seems like its worth more than the other, even if it is worse or not as fun :P

You know what, yes, i can agree to that. Especially considering how much more fun i am having with these types of games these days than most of the "you know what im talking about when i say AAA" type games.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
Gyro aiming over 60fps any day.

Thing is: you can play with gyro @60 on pc and there's no denying cutting the framerate in half greatly impacts the gameplay. Some tricks you just don't land on switch. That being said I had tons of fun playing Doom on a handheld, but it's a different experience from the original release due to the framerate.

OryoN

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
People really need to stop comparing a small portable gaming tablet to the power hungry PS4 and Xbox Ones. Of course it's a "generation behind" it's a handheld for fucks sake. The fact it's modern architecture let's it run current gen games relatively well with some retooling is absolutely impressive.

Some people don't seem to know the difference between the actual capabilities of these GPUs and their raw power. They're looking at raw power different between Switch and current consoles and crying things like; "inferior tech," "generations behind," etc. In reality, the tegra X1 is literally generations ahead of PS4, it's more modern, feature rich, and by far more power efficient. Had Switch's raw power and resources been equal to other consoles, Switch would run circles around PS4. A lot of progress have been made since the conception of the type of GPU in PS4.

People who aren't impress with the things Switch have been pulling off simply lack perspective. That's all there really is to it. We're seeing fully-featured consoles games that we never imagined - prior to Switch - would be possible on a mobile device, let alone one sporting a Tegra x1 . Some people are simply way too emotionally invested in their big brawny, 'manly' home consoles to be excited about - what will no doubt be remembered as - a history turning-point in gaming.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Wow, I had no idea. Don't know what to think though. Sonic Mania was a great port IIRC (played it a bit on launch then never really played it again), while Rime is supposed to be one of the worse examples of how to do this.
The RiME port apparently had a bunch of problems from the home studio if I remember correctly, due to that game's troubles development to start with.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only bad thing about this is the game is too far away. Switch is facing a drought this fall and needs more game announcements for this year urgently. I wish Doom Eternal was a fall 2018 game.

... No, it isn't. That's not a drought, at all. This fall have three big titles from Nintendo which will be system sellers along one regional publishing which is TWEWY coming from them.

And you people only count first party titles anyway for the console while ignoring other games so there's two huge coming and one big coming in those months.

Dec 23, 2017
The RiME port apparently had a bunch of problems from the home studio if I remember correctly, due to that game's troubles development to start with.
Rime was a game I really wanted to enjoy. It was HORRIBLE even after the so called fix patch. Probably the first game I ever played where frame rate stopped me from playing.... and I played 2k18 switch quite often.

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018
Switch "First-Class Citizen" for third parties (Bethesda) confirmed.

It seems we'll finally be getting launch parity from now on.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I had no idea. Don't know what to think though. Sonic Mania was a great port IIRC (played it a bit on launch then never really played it again), while Rime is supposed to be one of the worse examples of how to do this.

I've not tried it myself, but I've heard the Rime port is in a much better spot after some post launch patches. Maybe someone can confirm though.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, that's the problem. They are alone. There's nothing else other than them, VP4, Mario Party and that Musou game. A light fall lineup for Nintendo, catered specifically for Smash fans and Pokémon go players.

Personally, I'm not interested in Smash or Pokémon remake, so that leaves me with... Valkyria Chronicles 4. Just that. Maybe Mario Party too but that's not a single player game. I wish Bethesda ported more games to Switch. The wait for Doom Eternal is going to be agonizing.

You like JRPG's? The World Ends with You comes out soon and Tales of Vesperia sometime this winter. I understand your feeling though except I plan on getting Pokémon but this years Pokémon isn't a Spider-Man or a Dragon Quest XI.

thebisonxrc

Oct 25, 2017
I thought DOOM on Switch was incredible. One of my favourite games that I've played this year. I'm surprised, but so damn excited, to hear that the new one will be hitting Switch, too.

100% purchase.

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
The guys at Panic Button must be in high demand. Sound's like a thriving company. Hopefully they don't overwork, though. They should take it easy, one port at a time! (or just crazily expand!)

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
So I guess we're going to get into juvenile Dragon Ball Z power-level conversations about Switch every single time a current-generation port is announced for the console now, huh? Super neat, can't wait for more choice-supportive chest thumping in the future.

Anyways, one thing I'm curious about with Panic Button having more time on this port is if they'll make more foundational changes in order to improve image quality or performance (i.e. geometry reduction). In previous interviews their philosophy seems to be that they want the sort of "full fat" version on Switch, with sacrifices coming in the form of IQ and frame rate, but I wonder if more time will allow them to make a wider breadth of optimizations this time around (as opposed to, "here's the game with all the effects and all the tat, at a low res").

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
You like JRPG's? The World Ends with You comes out soon and Tales of Vesperia sometime this winter. I understand your feeling though except I plan on getting Pokémon but this years Pokémon isn't a Spider-Man or a Dragon Quest XI.

Yep, finished both multiple times. And I wouldn't recommend TWEWY to anyone honestly, it's the port of the iOS version, it controlled like garbage. I even had my total play time for MHG on 3DS over 150 hours. And that leaves me with few games this year. VP4, Musou Orochi... That's it. Here's hoping that Doom Eternal makes it this year.

Stormkyleis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Will the game launch on Switch at the same time as PC, PS4 and Xbox One?

Marty Stratton: "That's the plan right now; we'll see. We're still a way away from launching but we have made the decision to make Switch a, what we call internally, 'first class citizen'."
I hope this is the case. I think I'll jump on the bandwagon.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, finished both multiple times. And I wouldn't recommend TWEWY to anyone honestly, it's the port of the iOS version, it controlled like garbage. I even had my total play time for MHG on 3DS over 150 hours. And that leaves me with few games this year. VP4, Musou Orochi... That's it. Here's hoping that Doom Eternal makes it this year.

There's really not much I can say then. When it's comes down to it I've been playing Pokémon Ultra Moon for the majority of this pass year and if Let's Go Eevee doesn't do it for me I see myself putting aside my Switch and continuing playing Ultra Moon with Spider-Man and Dragon Quest XI mixed in until I beat them both.

Oh there's also Torna expansion that hits early September if you liked Xenoblade Chronicles X 2. I bought the expansion back when XBCX 2 first launch and I enjoyed that game.

Oct 25, 2017

Personally, I'm not interested in Smash or Pokémon remake, so that leaves me with... Valkyria Chronicles 4. Just that. Maybe Mario Party too but that's not a single player game. I wish Bethesda ported more games to Switch. The wait for Doom Eternal is going to be agonizing.

Seriously, where is that Fallout 3 (and New Vegas?) port that was so heavily rumored pre-E3? I'm guessing that it doesn't actually exist, unfortunately.

Risq

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm a big Switch fan, it's def my most played console in the past 12 months, by far.

The first Doom was nice on Switch but the image quality and frame rate issues put me off any future Bethesda+Panic Button games until they can sort it out.

I can handle 30fps, it's not a huge deal in terms of sacrifices as long as it's stable, but drops coupled with low image quality really hurts the experience.

As someone who puts a lot of time into the switch, seeing frame issues even on smaller games like Oxenfree and most recently Dead Cells, I don't have a lot of hope for smooth third party gaming on the platform. There always seems to be an issue when it comes to third party Switch games.