• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...tch-timings-multiplayer-and-a-whiff-of-heaven

Will the game launch on Switch at the same time as PC, PS4 and Xbox One?

Marty Stratton: "That's the plan right now; we'll see. We're still a way away from launching but we have made the decision to make Switch a, what we call internally, 'first class citizen'."

So you're developing it internally?

Marty Stratton: No. We're actually working with Panic Button again, but before, we made the game and then we brought it to Switch, and now we are making the game with Switch in mind. It's nice to know the platforms we want to hit up front.

Graphically it sounds like you're doing even more with Eternal but you said it will run at 60 frames per second - on Switch as well?

Marty Stratton: We don't run at 60 on Switch. Doom 2016 didn't run at 60 on Switch, it ran at 30, and really it was no sacrifice to the experience.

But on all the other platforms it will run at 60?

Marty Stratton: Yeah - that's always the goal. The engine has an interesting way of flexing. It flexes around 60 fps. Sometimes game engines flex around other metrics but for us we try to set the line at always trying to maintain 60.

Sounds good to me! Really looking forward to seeing how it compares in the end.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who only has a Switch, I can safely say this is a day 1 purchase for me. Also want to support this so other devs see how lucrative being there with ports on Day 1 on Switch is.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic, and that should conclusively clear all doubts.
Glad to see Bethesda's incredible support for Switch continue.

bshock

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Great news for Switch folks. Panic Button are legit.

The wait for this is going to be hard.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny for them to say that 30fps is "no sacrifice to the experience" at the same time that they make a big deal about it being at 60 on other platforms. I would definitely say that the high framerate makes a huge difference to me in Doom!

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
I played Doom on PS4, otherwise would have gotten Switch. I'll get Eterbal on Switch.

I still intend to get Wolf II for it at some point...
I want to support it and want the gyro aiming. Only waiting a bit due to backlog + I didn't really care for Wolf I that much

Deleted member 15538

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just want Duke 3D and Doom classic on my switch really.
And Redneck Rampage, Blood and some other oldtimers.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny for them to say that 30fps is "no sacrifice to the experience" at the same time that they make a big deal about it being at 60 on other platforms. I would definitely say that the high framerate makes a huge difference to me in Doom!
It's the only way it can be on Switch though.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
30fps is not really that surprising. I'm curious if they'll be able to get a more stable frame-rate. I'm certainly interested in the port.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY

Yeah, pretty sure most shooters on console are 60fps at this point aside from Destiny. So happy that Rage 2 will be 60fps on Pro and X as well.

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
Considering Doom to Wolf 2 seemed pretty impressive, I'm curious to see how "Building it with Switch in mind" will help with visual fidelity.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I mean, it's like how mouse and keyboard makes a huge difference compared to the console versions, 60fps or not. Those platforms are not really the optimal way to play this game.

Oct 25, 2017
I know its PR speak, but lol @ no sacrifice to the experience.

Its exactly what it was, a sacrifice to get it running on the switch. It was either that or nothing.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It's great to hear that they're making it with the Switch in mind from the beginning too.

There was a German article indicating idtech7 was built to take advantage of FP16 and has optimizations geared towards reducing the bandwidth load. I'm betting they specifically added those things to make the engine more Switch and mobile friendly too.

It bodes well for the future of handhelds.

Hentz

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018
Who would've thought Bethesda would be the Switch's biggest 3rd party supporter

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you Bethesda and PB. Not my type of game, but if it's day and date I will be there Day 1 as a gesture of good will for treating the Switch with respect.

Deleted member 20295

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
Despite having a PC more than capable of running Doom at 2k maxed out - I'll be Switch day 1.

Having owned 2016 on both PC and Switch, i've finished the Switch version and stopped playing the PC version.

Lunch break Doom is so much fun :-)

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
I will be buying the X version day 1. But will look to get switch version down the line later.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
I finished Doom on PC at locked 30 because my laptop couldn't get to 60. It was still a great experience.

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds about right, hoping planning around the switch this time gets it st a more stable frame rate and resolution.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Getting it there for sure, gyro is life. Hopefully the inevitable required download won't be massive.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Despite having a PC more than capable of running Doom at 2k maxed out - I'll be Switch day 1.

Having owned 2016 on both PC and Switch, i've finished the Switch version and stopped playing the PC version.

Lunch break Doom is so much fun :-)
Same. Portable mode Doom instantly makes it the best version to me.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it'll be a good port for Switch, but I'm looking forward to playing it at 60+ fps in all its glory on my PC.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
This all seems as I would have expected. Very cool. Hopefully we'll see more Day 1 ports in the future. Perhaps 2019 will be the year it becomes more common than not.

We need more studios like Panic Button. Their workload must insane right now. Imagine how many projects they have turned down at this point.

As a Switch owner, I certainly would be in favor of this. I think Tantalus might somewhat qualify, but their output has seemingly been lower than PB's (I could be wrong about this) and they aren't exclusively focused on Switch.

Man, that Switch pro or switch revision can't come any sooner.

Assuming Nintendo does a full revision (i.e. new chip/node and not just an overclock or something), I really think Switch ports will benefit immensely from it. Anything to help bridge the gap between it and Xbox One/PS4 will probably be a gift for every major publisher who wants to profit from Switch users. (This raises software compatibility and install base questions, but this is then a topic for an entirely different thread.)

Last edited:

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
This is very good news, they have probably made id tech 7 with Switch in mind so those talks about having the engine use less bandwidth and use 16fp must be true then!

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
A god damn AAA multiplat fps game is coming to Switch the same day as the other platforms in 2019.
Will pick the game on PS4, but shit, first one felt good on Switch, even if I had already done the game on ps4 first.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
First class citizen? We tier one now.

P.S. Whatever you do, don't try to sell this game on the used market. Bethesda's lawyers will be onto you quicker than flies on...

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Kudos to Besthesda for the excellent support.

I'd argue using controllers instead of mouse and keyboard for first-person shooters is a much bigger sacrifice/difference than 30 vs 60 framerates, if you want to be pedantic.

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
Come on Bethesda, get a bigger cartridge for the game this time. Have a little faith in us.

As a Switch owner, I certainly would be in favor of this. I think Tantalus might somewhat qualify, but their output has seemingly been lower than PB's (I could be wrong about this) and they aren't exclusively focused on Switch.

Did they port anything to Switch? I know they were quite the prominent porting studio in the Wii U days but I haven't actually heard about any work they did for Switch.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
PC is a lock for me but I might also grab this on Switch, too, since I tend to be on the road a bit.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
as long as Nintendo is a generation behind in tech, the majority of the AAA 3rd party shooters will continue to be 30fps.You can argue that next gen will try to prioritize 4k resolution, while Nintendo could have ps4 graphics and try to get 1080p a standard, but next gen is supposed to have a huge upgrade in cpu power too. Not sure how Nintendo will match that unless they make a console on par with the competition that is separate from the hybrid.

1080p 30 fps vs 4k 60fps if Nintendo tries to get a 2 TFLOP console vs +12 TFLOP next gen, notably if Nintendo falls behind in CPU.