• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, finally got to the "smash players smell" stage of the discussion

We have literally hit full Kappa

Quick, someone make a post about Gllty or LTG

Oct 25, 2017
Pedantically, sure.

In the common lexicon of gaming... no.
Where do you draw the line?

How would you classify the following games:
Dissidia Duodecim
gfs_198740_0_51.jpg

Power Stone 2 (1v1 up to 1v1v1v1)
gfs_50424_2_1.jpg

Megaman Power Fighters/Megaman 2 Power Battles (1v1 or 2v1, no PvP until the PS2 port)
gfs_3770_2_5.jpg

Virtual On Oratorio Tangram
gfs_15147_2_13.jpg

Red Earth (1v1, no PvP)
gfs_3764_2_2.jpg

Gundam Versus (2v2)
gfs_647190_2_14.jpg

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Never said the Smash community was smaller than the FGC. Clearly tons of people are into Smash. All the more reason to stick to their own circuit instead of forcing into the already niche FGC tournaments.
Its not the community thats forcing anything. The people who run Evo decide whats at Evo. And they decide Smash is a part of Evo. Yeah maybe not have both Smash titles but thats Evo's call, no one else.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its not the community thats forcing anything. The people who run Evo decide whats at Evo. And they decide Smash is a part of Evo. Yeah maybe not have both Smash titles but thats Evo's call, no one else.
What does that have to do with anything.

That's like... exactly why you see many in this thread happy that there might be an Evo without Smash.

Denryu

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I like how some people here talk as if EVO staff just decided to skip Smash for some reason. Like, do you seriously think they don't want it there considering its such a huge game with a big community that has already been at EVO multiple times?

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can definitely blame the Melee community for refusing to move on. TO's wouldn't be in this position if the community wasn't so goddamn stubborn.
Excuse me? Are you serious right now?

So it's Melee's community fault that they love their game then? TO's are not obliged to do anything. Nobody would bat an eye if Melee wasn't ever given a spot in the main event back in 2013. The fact that it keeps coming back just shows how much revenue it brings to warrant the presence. Also going from the reactions of this thread, if Melee were to be removed, the FGC would probably support the decision, they (TOs) simply doesn't remove it because it brings them money.

The Smash community doesn't decide shit if their both games should be at the main event or not.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
So the problem is the monetary prizes?

No idea. I know there have been problems with prize money since Japan doesn't allow entry fees to be used as a prize pool bonus/payout since it falls under gambling. Nintendo is just being Nintendo with their events. Because games are aimed at kids here, Nintendo ones especially, their "tournaments" have almost always been kid focused. Smash 4, Splatoon, and Pokken all had events from my memory and the switch versions, for children to participate in. Kinda leaving the greater competitive scenes unknown for smash and pokken. In the general public sense I should add.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Excuse me? Are you serious right now?

So it's Melee's community fault that they love their game then? TO's are not obliged to do anything. Nobody would bat an eye if Melee wasn't ever given a spot in the main event back in 2013. The fact that it keeps coming back just shows how much revenue it brings to warrant the presence. Also going from the reactions of this thread, if Melee were to be removed, the FGC would probably support the decision, they (TOs) simply doesn't remove it because it brings them money.

The Smash community doesn't decide shit if their both games should be at the main event or not.
Yes it's their fault, plenty of SF players prefer IV to V but they still moved on with everyone else because that's what you do to keep things interesting.

I'd have less of an issue with Smash being at Evo if it was one game.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes it's their fault, plenty of SF players prefer IV to V but they still moved on with everyone else because that's what you do to keep things interesting.

Smh. Hey Melee fans, you guys destroyed EVO for supporting this game!!

At least read what I wrote.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are stamina matches how Smash is played at tournaments?

Look, I totally respect Smash for the technical requirements needed to be good at it (I'm having a miserable time with it right now because it's so weird and difficult), but "fighting game" means a specific thing. And yeah, generally it means a game that somewhat resembles Street Fighter. There's typically not a lot of overlap between people who are really good at fighting games and people are who are really good at Smash. It's one or the other, they're totally different animals. Which is fine. But people who are into fighting games (and have been for many years) have no interest in seeing Smash at Evo.
Pedantically, sure.

In the common lexicon of gaming... no.
This is on the same level of claiminig that Xenoblade is not an RPG because it's not turn-based
After all Square defined the genre with FF1

Last edited:

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Was it different with Brawl and Melee? I don't remember competitive Melee being as huge as it is until after Brawl.

In any case, I don't care which Smash they play. Just pick one.
Brawl actually ended up being so bad that it sent people back to Melee.

EDIT: That isn't to say that Brawl didn't have a big scene, but it certainly drove a LOT of people away.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was it different with Brawl and Melee? I don't remember competitive Melee being as huge as it is until after Brawl.
Kinda. Melee competitive was pretty niche but was always there. People tried to move on to Brawl but the game was such a big fuck up in the competitive scenario, it was insanely bad for competitive, since then almost everyone went back to Melee which was the way better competitive option at the time. Melee managed to grow real quickly with the Internet and streaming platforms that managed to bring them a spot in the EVO 2013. It was highly succesful with the viewership and competitiveness that it kept coming back since then.

I agree that Ultimate and Melee should not be on the main stage together, but to deny Melee entirely is pretty fucking harsh. The game has insane story behind it's competitive scene that managed to survive the direst times without a single help from Nintendo.

Don't forget about project M. Do people still play that or have they mostly moved on to the new smashes now?

Ever since Nintendo banning Project M from major tournaments, it's pretty much dead since no exposure = no viewers = no money to be made. There's still a specific niche scene for it, but it's going to be always really niche since it's not allowed to participate in major tourneys anymore.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Kinda. Melee competitive was pretty niche but was always there. People tried to move on to Brawl but the game was such a big fuck up in the competitive scenario, it was insanely bad for competitive, since then almost everyone went back to Melee which was the way better competitive option at the time. Melee managed to grow real quickly with the Internet and streaming platforms that managed to bring them a spot in the EVO 2013. It was highly succesful with the viewership and competitiveness that it kept coming back since then.

I agree that Ultimate and Melee should not be on the main stage together, but to deny Melee entirely is pretty fucking harsh. The game has insane story behind it's competitive scene that managed to survive the direst times without a single help from Nintendo.

Ever since Nintendo banning Project M from major tournaments, it's pretty much dead since no exposure = no viewers = no money to be made. There's still a specific niche scene for it, but it's going to be always really niche since it's not allowed to participate in major tourneys anymore.
They'd probably still be playing it if Nintendo didn't send the goons after them.

Ah. Nintendo's always gotta Nintendo I guess.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well you can't really expect them to let a game mod be played in sanctioned tournaments
Not to mention that the devs were flying too close to the sun and making new playable characters from existing IPs.
Why would Nintendo allow for fan mods to stand on the same ground as the actual game? Especially when that fanmod was adding in new unsanctioned characters.

Like who else has done that in a national tournament.
CRAZY OL' NINTENDO THO!

Auto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, if Nintendo are not supporting Smash tournaments anyways, then I can't see why they should have a say on Project M being in or not.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Sure. But the way Nintendo has treated it's fanbase in general regarding competitive smash isn't great so I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt.

And I know it's not ever gonna get a main stage at any tourney but as a little side thing I don't see why Nintendo should mind.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Sure. But the way Nintendo has treated it's fanbase in general regarding competitive smash isn't great so I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt.

And I know it's not ever gonna get a main stage at any tourney but as a little side thing I don't see why Nintendo should mind.
If Nintendo were to give Evo Japan, or any tournament for that matter, their blessing to run Project M on the side, then that can give the idea that Nintendo is ok with the mod and all of the extra IP shit that they were trying to get away with.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
I can sorta understand no Smash. Ultimate literally just came out and the community needs time to decide on the "finite" universal tournament rules. But no DBZ is wild.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's always funny watching people get so inflamed about a basic business decision. Smash makes money at Evo and will be there as long as it makes money, it has nothing to do with whether it "deserves it" or not

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
LOL
I wonder if it's because they are still mad about Sonicfox beating the best Japanese players. Probably not but it's a funny thought.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Preach.

For those that may not know, SNK will be releasing a full roster balance patch as a new year present on December 31 for KOFXIV.

So Evo Japan will be XIV's first major tournament for the new version.
Off-topic but...this game is $15 on Steam and I'm interested. I've never really played the series before but I'm curious. Is it worth it (at that price) considering online is dead and none of my friends care enough to get it?

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Off-topic but...this game is $15 on Steam and I'm interested. I've never really played the series before but I'm curious. Is it worth it (at that price) considering online is dead and none of my friends care enough to get it?

It's getting a patch, so online might not be totally dead. And there's like 56 characters to play arcade mode with. Also, it's probably the best game in the series since 98.

LordQuas

Oct 27, 2017
I think a lot of the animosity smash people get from the FGC stems from the fact that they have no interest in conventional fighting games at all. A sentiment echoed in this thread a bunch. So when a bunch of people attend an event like evo for smash they don't watch/support tournaments of any other game. Which a lot of old heads in the fgc see as leeching on their scene or whatever. I don't have a dog in this though.

Auto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's got a bump due to the sale. When the dust settles, it's back to being dead.

EDIT: It's actually FREE right now.
I mean, USF4 averages out at 100 people as well and I find games everyday. Fighting games don't need really high numbers to not be dead.

I think a lot of the animosity smash people get from the FGC stems from the fact that they have no interest in conventional fighting games at all. A sentiment echoed in this thread a bunch. So when a bunch of people attend an event like evo for smash they don't watch/support tournaments of any other game. Which a lot of old heads in the fgc see as leeching on their scene or whatever. I don't have a dog in this though.

I think it's more likely that the majority of the community think of Smash as a kids game/party game with platforms that is so radically different from traditional fighters so they hate on it. I mean, people always jump on hating things they don't understand.

Last edited:

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, USF4 averages out at 100 people as well and I find games everyday. Fighting games don't need really high numbers to not be dead.
Are you playing Ranked? With all the different levels and connections etc. that need to be considered, I've found that it can take very long to find matches with numbers like that. Unless the game just foregoes skill-based matchmaking altogether.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

Wasn't expecting the Move On meme. Would it help if people explained to you that the games don't play anything alike?

Auto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you playing Ranked? With all the different levels and connections etc. that need to be considered, I've found that it can take very long to find matches with numbers like that. Unless the game just foregoes skill-based matchmaking altogether.
I keep ranked matchmaking pretty open. Though I found that making my own lobby and letting people join is much easier and faster.

LordQuas

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's more likely that the majority of the community think of Smash as a kids game/party game with platforms that is so radically different from traditional fighters so they hate on it. I mean, people always jump on hating things they don't understand.

I think it's probably both.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't expecting the Move On meme. Would it help if people explained to you that the games don't play anything alike?
No, because they sure do look alike when I'm watching tournament streams, and that's all I care about as a spectator.

Pick one. If they want to make it Melee, fine. But having 2 Smash games as Evo main events is ridiculous.