• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
The risk that Cohen will attempt to go into hiding and/or become an assassination target for the Russian mob strikes me as not insubstantial. He should probably be put into custody, protective or otherwise, fairly soon.

Pockets

Oct 27, 2017
The risk that Cohen will attempt to go into hiding and/or become an assassination target for the Russian mob strikes me as not insubstantial. He should probably be put into custody, protective or otherwise, fairly soon.

I believe that's up to him to make that decision.

What is he gonna give up to receive that kind of protection?

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No, see how Obama issued pardons. It can be a needed reprieve to people who were previously charged with crimes no longer illegal (see small amounts of marijuana possession) and removing charges brought because of discrimination and such.

It needs to be limited through oversight when it concerns people close to the President and his administration.

That's not a good justification, it means the justice system should be corrected, not that the president should have the power to overrule the law, since the president has no inherent ability to be more just than the justice system itself.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

Really weird for Mueller to make such a concession(if true).

They're really scared of Andrew Weismann.

Of course they might just be placating the Cheeto.

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Really weird for Mueller to make such a concession(if true).

They're really scared of Andrew Weismann.

Of course they might just be placating the Cheeto.

Hannity attacks Weismann every night on his show as if he was Hillary dressed in drag. He's been calling for his head for a couple of months now

Clearly Trump/Cohen are really afraid of Weismann

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Hannity attacks Weismann every night on his show as if he was Hillary dressed in drag. He's been calling for his head for a couple of months now

Clearly Trump/Cohen are really afraid of Weismann

Helped take down the mafia, Enron and Arthur Andersen. Whatever could Trump could be worried about? Lol

He has been criticized for bias due to the fact he contributed a total of $6650 to the presidential campaigns of both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama and the Democratic National Committee from 2006 to 2008 while he was privately employed.

Hannity has been editing his Wikipedia page too.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
So, one thing's struck me that seems a little odd: Cohen has, himself, got attorneys. I assume they're clean - I've certainly not heard any indication that they're in any way complicit in this. Yet I'm somewhat surprised that there's been no talk of attorney-client privilege *the other way around*, i.e. the situations where Cohen is the client. Did he only engage these attorneys after the raid?

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
So, one thing's struck me that seems a little odd: Cohen has, himself, got attorneys. I assume they're clean - I've certainly not heard any indication that they're in any way complicit in this. Yet I'm somewhat surprised that there's been no talk of attorney-client privilege *the other way around*, i.e. the situations where Cohen is the client. Did he only engage these attorneys after the raid?

Probably yes... they actually brought up to the judge how little time they had to prep, suggesting they only had the weekend between the raid and the court date to work with Cohen.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Almost certainly. You generally do not want to be crossing those streams.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, he had lawyers beforehand. Cohen's motion listed 8 of them. I don't think you can make a big stink out of the feds executing a search warrant on a person who has retained a lawyer, which seems like an incredibly common situation.
Probably yes... they actually brought up to the judge how little time they had to prep, suggesting they only had the weekend between the raid and the court date to work with Cohen.
That's just because the raid is new. One of those guys has been representing him on the Russia investigation for quite some time now.

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Why is there discussion about "flipping" you don't flip on someone when there are innocent people involved.

Why would trump have to worry about Cohen "flipping" if he did nothing wrong.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Nah, he had lawyers beforehand. Cohen's motion listed 8 of them. I don't think you can make a big stink out of the feds executing a search warrant on a person who has retained a lawyer, which seems like an incredibly common situation. (...) One of those guys has been representing him on the Russia investigation for quite some time now.

Makes sense, thanks.

Why is there discussion about "flipping" you don't flip on someone when there are innocent people involved.

Why would trump have to worry about Cohen "flipping" if he did nothing wrong.

That's really the elephant in the room with all of Trump's supporters and defenders... nobody works from the assumption that if he just cooperates fully, quietly and politely, he'll be exonerated eventually. It's like everybody assumes he's guilty and the whole ballgame is about shutting down the investigation before it implicates him.

Oct 30, 2017
DbTw4TCX0AIGa-u.jpg:large

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
It's extremely embarassing to have a professional adult - let alone the POTUS - behave like this on a social media platform.

I really, really hope his Twitter antics will be used as evidence against him and bitw him in the ass.

PS: Yeah, travel ban stuff kind of did fire back on him, but it wasn't enough.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
It could be bad:

Judge is at least willing to consider a special master vs. the taint team.

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Special Master is better because then Cohen can't slow things down by impugning the FBI's objectivity in its conclusions re: privilege.

The judge has the final say if there's a dispute, so if Cohen's pick (if he gets it) is playing shenanigans, Wood will cut right through the bullshit.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Special Master is better because then Cohen can't slow things down by impugning the FBI's objectivity in its conclusions re: privilege.

The judge has the final say if there's a dispute, so if Cohen's pick (if he gets it) is playing shenanigans, Wood will cut right through the bullshit.

Apparently this is a stall tactic. Because they can contest any and everything the special hamster does. Could take years? But I'm no legal expert... Do we have any legal experts?

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sara Just @sarajust

"It's a reversal of sorts..." @sallyqyates says about Michael Cohen asserting his 5th amendment rights today in Stormy Daniels case. She adds to assert 5th amendment you have to have a good faith belief that your truthful answers would incriminate you in a crime. @NewsHour

6:25 PM - Apr 25, 2018

Avenatti predicted this a couple weeks ago:
MSNBC @MSNBC

JUST IN: Stormy Daniels' attorney @MichaelAvenatti says Trump's lawyer Michael Cohen will "plead the 5th amendment against self incrimination" and he "will seek an emergency stay" against the defamation lawsuit.

5:04 PM - Apr 12, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.