• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
FNV update:
Helped some friends use their rockets to go to their beyond.
Helped a husband avenge his wife. Said husband then wanted to travel with me.
Found a woman with a big family who also wants to travel with me.

How do companions work in NV?

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, tbh I'm having second thoughts about it. I might just be letting my excitement get the better of me. I'll have to think about it some more.

I do think just a big post in this OT would be good. Threadmark and post once the update goes live. Give some details about the game, the DLCs, etc. Advice for new players and advice for returning players.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
FNV update:

You can have one humanoid and one non-humanoid companion. They cannot die unless you're playing on Hardcore mode. Companions are people too, so be careful where you take them. They might not act the way you want. However, they might also allow for interesting interactions with characters that you wouldn't get otherwise.

Most companions have some kind of companion quest, and starting these quests can be more difficult than others.

Boone for example is notoriously complicated, involving talking to one of two specific people about a certain topic related to Boone, and then you need to take certain actions during quests in the game with Boone in your party, in order to gain "history points" with Boone.

OP
OP
AgentStrange

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
I do think just a big post in this OT would be good. Threadmark and post once the update goes live. Give some details about the game, the DLCs, etc. Advice for new players and advice for returning players.
I think I'll just do that. I'll still put some nice graphics together but there's already too many Fallout threads as is.

FNV update:

You can find more specific info on each companion from the Fallout Wiki, but I'll share some general tidbits here:

- Companions can be recruited if certain conditions are met such as completing a quest.
- Companions can permanently leave your party if certain conditions are met such as aiding a faction that they are ideologically opposed to.
- Companions can die if you are playing on Hardcore mode.
- A max of two companions can be in your party at any given time. Either a dog (Rex) and a humanoid or a robot (ED-E) and a humanoid.
- Companions can be used as pack mules
- Companion combat behavior can be adjusted in the Companion Wheel Menu

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Is the Fallout 4 Season Pass worth buying?

depends on the price and what you like about the game. frankly in my opinion the only dlc worth a damn is far harbour, nuka world is pretty meh and the rest is basically just settlement building shit. if you enjoy that, then you'd get a lot from it, if you didnt (like me), you basically didnt interact with them at all. that said it might be cheaper to buy the season pass than just far harbour separately so why not

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Far Harbor is rightfully called one of the best Bethesda DLC for a reason, also Nuka World has some fun quests and loot

depends on the price and what you like about the game. frankly in my opinion the only dlc worth a damn is far harbour, nuka world is pretty meh and the rest is basically just settlement building shit. if you enjoy that, then you'd get a lot from it, if you didnt (like me), you basically didnt interact with them at all. that said it might be cheaper to buy the season pass than just far harbour separately so why not

Yep!
Far Harbor is fantastic!

(also, it's usually necessary for mod compatibility if you're on PC)

Thanks, maybe I'll just get Far Harbor then, I wasn't a big fan of the settlement building stuff. It's not a big price difference between getting everything but eh.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks, maybe I'll just get Far Harbor then, I wasn't a big fan of the settlement building stuff. It's not a big price difference between getting everything but eh.
As patitoloco said though, if you plan on using mods, many use parts of the other dlcs so if you just had Far Harbour it could make it harder to use them (or impossible in cases that dont support separate DLC installs)

OP
OP
AgentStrange

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
Having all the FO4 DLC has effectively been a hard requirement ever since the Unofficial Patch made it mandatory.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I just picked up the season pass on sale like a year ago. I don't know if it's worth picking and choosing which DLCs you get.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
Is the Fallout 4 Season Pass worth buying?

1. Far Harbour is great. It's basically the Nick Valentine DLC and the quests are a very high caliber compared to the rest of the game.
  2. Nuka World is a mixed bag. If you play the game as a "bad guy" then the game adds some decent new mechanics for you to make use of. The introduction to the DLC is pretty cool. The quests themselves aren't anything special, there are very limited decisions that you can make. But... there's some really cool lore on offer, including a cameo from a previous game.
  3. Wasteland Workshop and Contraptions Workshops are cool if you're into the settlement building but even then, theres a lot of stuff you'll never use.
  4. Vault Tec Workshop is a fun distraction but nothing much more. If you've ever wanted to design your own vault, this is how.
  5. Automatron is a fine little quest line, with some interesting characters, but it also introduces some obnoxious enemies to the Random Encounter Drop table that do my nut in.

OP
OP
AgentStrange

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
New FO76 enemy.

latest

Unlike war, Thanksgiving has changed.

Edit:

Fallout Series Original Soundtrack vinyl is available for pre-order. 30 buckaroos.
https://lakeshorerecordsshop.com/products/fallout?variant=44652036915427

Falloutvinyl_beauty_3000_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Last edited:

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
FO4:

Completely forgot about this lvl 4 merchant and managed to snag him finally. Took quite a lot of tries to get him to spawn

f5pdmhU.png

wHejXUl.png

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I think Point Lookout beats Far Harbor for me but they're both great additions to the pantheon of "Fallout in the boonies".

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
...you know, I should download that Player Combat Priority mod I remember finding on the Nexus, I didn't realize the combat AI focused on your companions that much.
I think it was because dogmeat attacked last while I just stood there. Normally you'd both be attacking so it'd trade more evenly, but I also did not realize drawing aggro was that aggressive. Might have to experiment more with it. I never considered a stand and do nothing strat.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Still in the middle of Sim Settlement 2 story quests, it's been great so far!

I didn't expect it to be this interesting with great characters. Jake is amazing, albeit maybe a little bit too naive. There are also multiple ways to complete a quest/dungeon which is totally my jam. I almost entirely ignore the city building stuff and put it on auto, I just want to continue with the story. Too bad that there's always these 1-2 days of cooldowns before the story quest continues after a major one, so I still need to do some vanilla quests while waiting. I'm not sure if I'm still in the first episode or already in the second, since I've installed all 3 from the package.

h0tp0ck3t

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't expecting TTW (or maybe it's Begin Again) having weapons jump games. Just got jumped by Talon Mercs rocking Laser RCWs and LAER rifles lmao

ZeroHunter

Aug 6, 2020
Capital Punishment - a comprehensive Fallout 3 and New Vegas all-in-one mod package with a focus on additional (balanced and lore-friendly) content, boosted performance / audio / visuals, expanded roleplaying options, and deeper and more polished survival elements - has been updated to 2.0 as of today. Check it out here:

Basically, this mod package enables you to play through a combined and considerably expanded and polished Fallout 3 and New Vegas experience, with a single character. Your MC's story will lead them across the vast American wasteland over the course of several in-game years.

A program called Wabbajack is used to simplify the install process considerably by taking care of most (almost all, but not all) of the work for you. Check the install guide for more details. Essentially, you can have like 200+ carefully balanced, lore friendly, and preconfigured mods installed for you in like 2 hours or less if you follow the guide well. 2.0 apparently brings huge performance improvements over previous versions, and based on what I've seen from the modlist, this def seems like one of the best ways to play either of these two games (or both!) if you're even a little mod-savvy.

Me? I'm gonna install the FUCK out of this. This is probably gonna be my final Fallout 3 and New Vegas playthrough. Might as well go out with a bang!

I know I'm late to this but I just want to say that your post made me look into this mod and subsequently install it a few days ago, and it's probably some of the most fun I've had in Fallout in years. It's challenging but not in a bullshit way, more so in a way that makes you really have to plan your next move. Just a few of the many things this mod does off the top of my head:

• Fewer SPECIAL point allocation and skill points per level mean you have to spend them wisely
  • Ammo is a lot scarcer so you're incentivized to use many different weapons
  • There is now weapon sway when aiming, so if you don't meet strength requirements for a weapon or your limbs are damaged, it's much harder to aim accurately
  • Diseases are now in the game which can reduce stats, and can be received either through being attacked by creatures and ghouls or by drinking dirty water (these will eventually go away after a few in-game days).
  • Fast travel is disabled and the only way to do so is through "transport services" which are peppered throughout the wasteland. Additionally, these work like Morrowind where one transport location will only get you to other nearby transport locations, so you need to use multiple (and spend precious caps) if you want to get across the map quickly.
I know some people may read that and say that sounds terrible, and that's fair because it's definitely not for everyone, but there's so much more to it and it all comes together in a surprisingly well-balanced package. And it's so transformative that it's changed the way I play. Usually in these games I play as a good character, but with how cutthroat the world is, I've had to make some difficult (and sometimes downright bad) choices to make sure I have the supplies to survive. It's really an amazing mod package and if you're someone who's wanted some more challenge out of Fallout, I highly recommend giving this a shot.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
capital punishment has a bunch of mods i really dont agree with and thus i chose to make my own "difficulty mode" instead, but i echo that the game is a lot more enjoyable when youre actually hurting just to survive instead of coasting around with 10 perfect rifles 8000 rounds and enough medkits to cure the entire planet

OP
OP
AgentStrange

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I'm bummed that Starfield didn't have any survival mechanics from the get-go. Yeah, maybe it's not great for mass market appeal and blah blah blah, but I enjoy having that element of danger in these games. You always end up becoming overpowered otherwise. Doubt they'll do this for TES6 and FO5 but we'll see. The fact that Fallout 76 had things like diseases and hunger from the start gives me some hope but not much.

MDR

Jun 21, 2018
ok something that maybe everybody know but i just discovered now about Fallout 76: if you want to play on console, the PS5 version is better. The xbox series X version is forced at a fixed 4k so the fps is in the 40~60 range. The ps5 version is 1440P but is stable 60FPS.

h0tp0ck3t

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I know I'm late to this but I just want to say that your post made me look into this mod and subsequently install it a few days ago, and it's probably some of the most fun I've had in Fallout in years. It's challenging but not in a bullshit way, more so in a way that makes you really have to plan your next move. Just a few of the many things this mod does off the top of my head:

• Fewer SPECIAL point allocation and skill points per level mean you have to spend them wisely
  • There is now weapon sway when aiming, so if you don't meet strength requirements for a weapon or your limbs are damaged, it's much harder to aim accurately
  • Diseases are now in the game which can reduce stats, and can be received either through being attacked by creatures and ghouls or by drinking dirty water (these will eventually go away after a few in-game days).
  • Fast travel is disabled and the only way to do so is through "transport services" which are peppered throughout the wasteland. Additionally, these work like Morrowind where one transport location will only get you to other nearby transport locations, so you need to use multiple (and spend precious caps) if you want to get across the map quickly.
I know some people may read that and say that sounds terrible, and that's fair because it's definitely not for everyone, but there's so much more to it and it all comes together in a surprisingly well-balanced package. And it's so transformative that it's changed the way I play. Usually in these games I play as a good character, but with how cutthroat the world is, I've had to make some difficult (and sometimes downright bad) choices to make sure I have the supplies to survive. It's really an amazing mod package and if you're someone who's wanted some more challenge out of Fallout, I highly recommend giving this a shot.
I have to look into that fast travel mod.
I also found a mod that makes power armor need fusion cores like in 4 and 76 that is pretty neat

Edit:
www.nexusmods.com

Battery Powered Power Armor

Are you tired of being overpowered? Do you need more challenges and handicaps? Then look no further, now you need to fuel your power armor with Fusion Cores!

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
I have to look into that fast travel mod.
I also found a mod that makes power armor need fusion cores like in 4 and 76 that is pretty neat

Edit:
www.nexusmods.com

Battery Powered Power Armor

Are you tired of being overpowered? Do you need more challenges and handicaps? Then look no further, now you need to fuel your power armor with Fusion Cores!
its this one iirc

www.nexusmods.com

Transporters - Immersive Fast Travel

Immersively overhaul your fast-travel experience everywhere you go with Transporters! Mod implements an alternative to fast-travel, adds a new faction, a new settlement, a quest, and... Moleholes? Sup

which i also like. i dont enjoy being able to freely fast travel anywhere but sometimes you just dont want to cross the entire goddamn wasteland too. plus it gives a lot more utility to money (and make you have horrible moral dilemmas when you play with scarcity mods and you barely have any money)

h0tp0ck3t

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
its this one iirc

www.nexusmods.com

Transporters - Immersive Fast Travel

Immersively overhaul your fast-travel experience everywhere you go with Transporters! Mod implements an alternative to fast-travel, adds a new faction, a new settlement, a quest, and... Moleholes? Sup

which i also like. i dont enjoy being able to freely fast travel anywhere but sometimes you just dont want to cross the entire goddamn wasteland too. plus it gives a lot more utility to money (and make you have horrible moral dilemmas when you play with scarcity mods and you barely have any money)
awesome thank you.

OP
OP
AgentStrange

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
Fast travel restrictions are one thing I can't get behind. I already can't fast travel in real life so I don't want the same to be true here.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Fast travel restrictions are one thing I can't get behind. I already can't fast travel in real life so I don't want the same to be true here.
Fast travel restrictions have appeal specifically because they encourage thoughtful play. It's not for everyone, but limitations like that make you really plan ahead for every expedition and journey. I don't like to play open world games without fast travel limitations, unless their design is antithetical to it (or in other words, if restricting fast travel would create so much intractable tedium, with so little discernable gain, that the game would cease being fun for me under those limitations).

During my last Fallout 4 playthrough, I disabled fast travel completely - with a small handful of exceptions:

I could fast travel from liberated settlements via caravans by spending a small amount of supplies

I could fast travel between Goodneighbor, Diamond City, and a few other populated spots for a fee

I could summon Brotherhood vertiberds to fly to specific locations with by spending extremely valuable smoke signals, but only if I was in good with the 'hood

All that stuff gave me more reason to engage with certain aspects of the game, like settlement building and actively using the population centers for living and buying/selling stuff. And it helped ground me in the world, in how it forced me to make plans and execute them (or improvise) during my wasteland expeditions.

I genuinely can't enjoy BGS open worlds as much if fast travel isn't restricted in some way. To each their own, but the world simulation becomes that much deeper when travel options are diagetic and prevent the player from cheesing travel and storage constraints, IMO.

Glad I can be of service 🫡
And right on! Best way to play for sure, glad you're enjoying it.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
capital punishment has a bunch of mods i really dont agree with and thus i chose to make my own "difficulty mode" instead, but i echo that the game is a lot more enjoyable when youre actually hurting just to survive instead of coasting around with 10 perfect rifles 8000 rounds and enough medkits to cure the entire planet
I would be right there with you, but I just can't make my own mod list anymore. I've spent so much damn time doing it over the years that the convenience of being able to install an entire mod pack all at once makes me giddy. My final self-modded FNV playthrough was so perfect that I'm fine with letting that be my last self-curated list. From here on out, I'm all-in on playing other people's lists.

Honestly it's like being able to install and play a new version of some of my favorite games every few years. Wabbajack and Nexus collections are my absolute favorite thing about modern BGS modding.

OP
OP
AgentStrange

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://x.com/RifleGaming/status/1783482183639838782

Fast travel restrictions have appeal specifically because they encourage thoughtful play. It's not for everyone, but limitations like that make you really plan ahead for every expedition and journey. I don't like to play open world games without fast travel limitations, unless their design is antithetical to it (or in other words, if restricting fast travel would create so much intractable tedium, with so little discernable gain, that the game would cease being fun for me under those limitations).

During my last Fallout 4 playthrough, I disabled fast travel completely - with a small handful of exceptions:

I could fast travel from liberated settlements via caravans by spending a small amount of supplies

I could fast travel between Goodneighbor, Diamond City, and a few other populated spots for a fee

I could summon Brotherhood vertiberds to fly to specific locations with by spending extremely valuable smoke signals, but only if I was in good with the 'hood

All that stuff gave me more reason to engage with certain aspects of the game, like settlement building and actively using the population centers for living and buying/selling stuff. And it helped ground me in the world, in how it forced me to make plans and execute them (or improvise) during my wasteland expeditions.

I genuinely can't enjoy BGS open worlds as much if fast travel isn't restricted in some way. To each their own, but the world simulation becomes that much deeper when travel options are diagetic and prevent the player from cheesing travel and storage constraints, IMO.

Well, if nothing else you've convinced me to give it a try when I start my FO4 playthrough. I will reserve the right to fast travel through bugged areas naturally.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
dont forget to keep a handy togglecollisions off nearby
had to use it getting stuck in arefu trying to jump some rubble

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Renewed Fallout fever has made me finally start a run of the original game. I always saw ads for it as a kid but never played it, so pretty excited to get into it.

I'm using the Et Tu mod to run in the FO2 engine and I'm having a really fun time with it. Pretty cool to actually have to read through the ginormous manual to get an idea of how to play. And I like that it basically says 'yeah you'll wanna save scum in this game for sure'.

I've just reached Junktown after saving Tandi, and helped stop the assassin in the store. So now I'm off to bug Gizmo before hopefully finding out more about where I can find a water chip with Vault 15 being all out.

I did read up a bit on best perks, skills etc. so running with heavy int, small guns, speech, lock picking and building into repair and science. But I can see coming back and doing a super focused or restricted build to see how stuff works out.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
so running (...) guns (...) speech (...) lock picking

The "i swear 9 out of 10 protagonists are this" build

The first two games (and new vegas to a lesser extent) have really fun dialogue and alternate paths for low int characters if you want to keep in mind for a repeat playthrough later

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017

The first two games (and new vegas to a lesser extent) have really fun dialogue and alternate paths for low int characters if you want to keep in mind for a repeat playthrough later

Super low int, huge luck and strength for an unarmed build would probably be my next one.

wallmeat

Oct 28, 2017
I finished Fallout 4 and have moved onto New Vegas via the Viva New Vegas mod list and wow this game rules. So far I've made it a little passed Novac.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Playing an idiot in Old World Blues is one of the best times you can have in a Fallout game. It's genuinely hilarious.