Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Since finishing Fallout 2 I've been playing New Vegas with Viva New Vegas so I'm definitely part of the problem, that's like ~150 mods.
I like the game so far but I feel like it's probably pretty overhyped, I guess we'll see.
Fallout 4 after.
And then maybe Fallout 1 & 3.

The things people over hype are the narrative and the amount of actual branches the questlines have that aren't just a voice over difference like 95% of games, and it's shocking just how many choices you have to choose from in the dialog, all of which are effected based on your reputation with different groups/factions, skill levels, perk choices, and even down to what you are wearing when talking to someone. It's astonishing on top of having some strong characters and questlines. I don't think you will come away unimpressed with that aspect, but the fact still remains it's built on some rickity ass gameplay bones and visuals which I'm sure mods have picked up the slack for.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
The things people over hype are the narrative and the amount of actual branches the questlines have that aren't just a voice over difference like 95% of games, and it's shocking just how many choices you have to choose from in the dialog, all of which are effected based on your reputation with different groups/factions, skill levels, perk choices, and even down to what you are wearing when talking to someone. It's astonishing on top of having some strong characters and questlines. I don't think you will come away unimpressed with that aspect, but the fact still remains it's built on some rickity ass gameplay bones and visuals which I'm sure mods have picked up the slack for.
Yeah that's the thing, if all of the reactivity is experienced through dialogue I'm probably going to get bored because that's not a novelty to me
I prefer games that give me a ton of ways to customize my character or roleplay; in ways that effect gameplay not dialogue

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah that's the thing, if all of the reactivity is experienced through dialogue I'm probably going to get bored because that's not a novelty to me
I prefer games that give me a ton of ways to customize my character or roleplay; in ways that effect gameplay not dialogue

Well, the game will give you some sense of that still since you have to choose what to specialize in combat wise based on what you put points in and perk choices. Melee, big/small/energy guns as well as the typical lock picking and hacking stuff. What impressed people was being able to solve quests differently just because you had a high medical score for example, so there is a nice feedback loop on how what you picked for roleplaying have some effect narratively at times.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15

Not just dialog but what you do during the quest themselves. Every quest in NV has the objective you're told to do with multiple optional ways to finish it and some hidden. Quest objectives themselves can branch. It's really noticeable if you play NV first then go play FO 3 & 4, 3 & 4 boil down to you have to do the quest as told to you and you either get a you did it state or you failed state, no middle ground.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Well, the game will give you some sense of that still since you have to choose what to specialize in combat wise based on what you put points in and perk choices. Melee, big/small/energy guns as well as the typical lock picking and hacking stuff.
Sure it's just that I play a lot of games that give you a lot more. And if the hook isn't that, the story has to be, and it could be idk yet.
Not just dialog but what you do during the quest themselves. Every quest in NV has the objective you're told to do with multiple optional ways to finish it and some hidden. Quest objectives themselves can branch. It's really noticeable if you play NV first then go play FO 3 & 4, 3 & 4 boil down to you have to do the quest as told to you and you either get a you did it state or you failed state, no middle ground.
That sounds a lot like FO2, many of the quests in that game were like that, I played FO2 almost entirely for the atmosphere. The writing was not the best and New Vegas has definitely been better in that regard.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
Most side quests in Fallout 3 have branches, it's just the main quest which is linear until the end. Fallout 4's main quest has some branches but not as elaborate as NV.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
So does this mean the popularity of the show is also rising if every day the concurrent years rises?

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Just started new Vegas, dug out my 360 disc lol.

Should I get the dlc?

Is it on sale?

Honest Hearts is fantastic. The new zone is cool and the main star of it is a badass character hinted at in the base game. Also, NON FACTION ranger armor, thank God. So you can look cool without being forced NCR.

Dead money goes for an interesting horror vibe and forces you out of your comfort zone by losing access to all your gear till you get it back. Has a great hidden ending.

Old World Blues is kind boring set piece wise but has some truly great NPC writing.

Lonesome Road is kind of the weakest one narratively because it takes itself very seriously and is about a dude you probably forget existed (amd was cut from the game) but the linear journey through a bunch of endgame areas was still satisfying

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
then you're gonna enjoy New Vegas quite a bit (probably more than other Fallouts) once it's all said and done

though if that's the case then I suggest you play both Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 4 in survival mode, as it grounds your character in the world and makes the story and roleplay feel contiguous. you'll be making more moment to moment gameplay decisions that give your character's story texture.

OP
OP
FarSight XR-20
Jan 4, 2018
294k CCU

o9fv.png

Oct 25, 2017
Where's the best place or thread to ask about essential 2024 mods for the older FPS titles? I've lost my guide to setting up OG Fallout, that's my first port of call though.

Djavanes

Nov 15, 2017
I'm playing Fallout 3 for the first time. I´m having a blast. Just hit level 8 now and going to River City. What a great game.

OP
OP
FarSight XR-20
Jan 4, 2018
328k CCU today. Fallout 4 at its highest since late November 2015.

There is a good chance that there will be more than 5 million players on all Fallout games today overall.

iwtu.png

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome to see...FO4 really is an incredible game and the last main Fallout game we'll have for a while. I know there is 76, and while I'm enjoying it as well, it just doesn't feel the same...the visuals are a bit downgraded and the quest density, characters and dialogue\writing just isn't on par with Fallout 4. I'm only level 28 in FO76 and haven't completed the main quests so maybe there's to it than I realize.

xenosys83

Mar 19, 2024
Good to see Bethesda getting some W's this month.

Their games bore me to death, but after months of getting slaughtered for Starfield, don't begrudge them this PR at all.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I'm waiting for F4SE to get updated, then I'll probably jump in with a massively modded playthrough.