Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
CDPR really cracked the code by using a tv show to convince people to play your game
The problem is, the video game adaptation has to be good. Like before the Witcher Season 1 and Sonic, there was like nothing universally praised. But going forward, I'd imagine we will start seeing more and more great adaptations.

hsojlightfoot

AVALANCHE
Apr 6, 2020
Make sure your weapons and armor are at your level. Focus on one weapon type with your perks, by this point you should have a weapon that you prefer, don't try to be a melee and shotgun build, you have to specialize by this point (that changes at higher levels with certain weapons).
There's definitely a difficulty spike around 30 though, you'll get through it. Don't be afraid to jump into events even if the recommended level is 50, just hang back and tag enemies and do your best, every hit gets you XP once the enemy is killed. Join a team, Casual is best for levelling.
Edit: what platform?

Sadly, this is just a problem with their world scaling solution. Because things grow with you, up to a cap depending on area, you never really outgrow enemies and thus keep having to use the same level of resources to stay alive and kill unless you get really lucky with a great legendary.

Thankfully, the population knows this. What platform are you on? You can find a high level player and they will often times drop a ton of resources for you.

I keep hearing stories of nice players giving free stuff. I haven't ran into too many players but recently I did. I was just sitting in a chair and the player just came up to me and hit me, lol

I'm on ps5. Is this even cross play?

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
FO76 is actually really fucking good and I let online discourse tell me different for the last 5 years. Should have just known it was the anti mp crowd doing the usual FUD.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
FO76 is actually really fucking good and I let online discourse tell me different for the last 5 years. Should have just known it was the anti mp crowd doing the usual FUD.
tbf it took a while for it to get where it is now

CDPR really cracked the code by using a tv show to convince people to play your game
Honestly I feel it's almost a case of opposites in this example

The Witcher show was so terrible it drove people to replay the game so that they could have good Witcher

The Fallout show is good so it's driving people to play a swath of okay Fallout games

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
tbf it took a while for it to get where it is now

Honestly I feel it's almost a case of opposites in this example

The Witcher show was so terrible it drove people to replay the game so that they could have good Witcher

The Fallout show is good so it's driving people to play a swath of okay Fallout games
The Witcher show was terrible? I only hear these takes here and not offline so maybe that's just gamer sentiment.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they did just shorten it by two seasons. WoM here is not good, but offcourse this is all anecdotal.

Five seasons is a great run by modern streaming standards for expensive productions that take multiple years between seasons. By the time the final season airs it will have been almost a decade since production on The Witcher started.

Patison

Oct 27, 2017
Five seasons is a great run by modern streaming standards for expensive productions that take multiple years between seasons. By the time the final season airs it will have been almost a decade since production on The Witcher started.

It isn't a great run (viewership-wise) when you have to shorten it and the story you had planned.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
The Witcher show was terrible? I only hear these takes here and not offline so maybe that's just gamer sentiment.

First season was good, if a bit confusing because of the pacing/time jumping.

Second season was weird. I didn't hate it, but it wasn't nearly as compelling as the first.

Nobody even gives a shit about the third season.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Terrible is a strong word, but season 2 the wheels sorta fell off. The first season was promising, albeit paced a little strangely.
Yes! I feel like that was never stressed enough when talking about season 1. They flatten like, 3 books into 8 episodes. The pacing is ALL OVER THE PLACE. So much of that feels like Netflix grating against the early books in the series essentially being short stories with loose connections and narrative threads. That's just so against Netflix's strict approach of you cannot have one off stories or really B plots of any kind in a Netflix series. Everything has to be in service of the main plot and constantly progressing the story. I think that's why they went so hard on Yennefer's backstory despite it barely being a thing in the books as it was an opportunity to add an ongoing narrative throughline.

The show just always looked really cheap. Genuinely looks like the modern day equivalent of the old Hercules and Xena shows.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017

It did not launch this way. It took 3 and a half years for them to balance the game properly and remove people's glitched and unintended weapons that where insta killing things for example.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

Don't get it twisted, it took LITERAL YEARS for 76 to get into an acceptable state.

The show just always looked really cheap. Genuinely looks like the modern day equivalent of the old Hercules and Xena shows.

But those shows are great though. Kevin Sorbo is an ass, but Hercules and Xena are super watchable to this day.

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
Sheeeeesh

63WZONF.png

gpn

Oct 27, 2017
Loving 76, seems I hit a brick wall at level 30 tho. No stimpacks, armor mostly broken, running out of ammo and a lot of quests I have are in areas with swarms of enemies. I guess the higher level you get the harder it is to solo.

You might think about joining a Daily Ops team and doing a few runs. Daily Ops can be tough, but if you're on a good team it's worth it if you're in need of ammo and stimpaks, enemies will drop lots of them for your equipped weapon and stimpak type and you should get a lot more than you use.

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019

I was there from launch with the game and it took probably 2-2.5 years before I would say it got into decent shape. It was REALLY rough for a long time.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
I remember F76 being atrocious at launch and had it erased from my memory. It is close to a decade for me without a Fallout experience and I am so excited to see that they actually fixed Fallout 76

Will certainly jump in the next days, cant wait

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
downloaded f3 and fnv yesterday with the begin again modlist. it was only a little bit of an intimidating install, but the step-by-step guide on the begin again nexusmods page made it a cakewalk.

i was afraid the game wouldn't launch or that it'd crash because of how the mod manager list looked, but i managed to play a few hours with few issues. now i think i just have to cap my framerate and figure out how to dial down my mouse sensitivity lower than the lowest menu setting lmao. for the latter, i might just shift my dpi.

OP
OP
FarSight XR-20
Jan 4, 2018
Xbox based on TrueAchievements' sample (week ending April 21)

#4 FO4 (#17 the week before)
#6 FO76 (#19)

www.trueachievements.com

Most popular Xbox games — Fallout continues to dominate

Our latest gameplay chart of the most popular Xbox games shows that the love for Fallout isn't slowing yet, as Fallout 4 and 76 break into the top ten.

pkas.png

PlayStation based on TrueTrophies' sample (week ending April 11)

#11 FO4 (#25 the week before)
#16 FO76 (#32)

www.truetrophies.com

PS5 Top 40 — Fallout 4 player count spikes by 152% after TV show

It's another new PS5 top 40 chart and a Fallout player spike higher than last week! With the popularity of the Amazon TV show, Fallout 4 and 76 follow suit!

Proving itself once again to be the more popular Fallout entry for new players, Fallout 4 has risen from 25th position to 11th. That also means that it has had a spike of 152.4% amongst the players in our sample since last week.

Then we have the live service title Fallout 76 climbing from 32nd on the chart to 16th over the last week. Naturally, that's given us a player count increase of 123.8% week-on-week.

h55h.png

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is, the video game adaptation has to be good. Like before the Witcher Season 1 and Sonic, there was like nothing universally praised. But going forward, I'd imagine we will start seeing more and more great adaptations.

It feels like video games are going through a similar evolution that comic book movies did back in the early 2000's. They (comic movies) were very hastily thrown together, with bad scripts and bad direction (ofc there were exceptions, but this was generally the case), and Hollywood was just hoping fans of the comics came along for the ride to make some money. Then Marvel/Disney, and WB (with the Batman films) came along and was like "What if we didn't make them 100% shitty?" and suddenly they took off.

Now video game-based films/shows are starting to get a similar "Let's do this, but not shitty" treatment and lo and behold, people enjoy them! Sonic is great, Mario did very well (even if it was a little by-the-numbers for my tastes), TLOU show is great, and now Fallout is great. There are still some duds (Halo wyd?, and that Assassin's Creed movie a while back) but the last few years the trend for game-based films/TV shows is going up. At least now when I see a show/movie is going to be based on a game I'm not immediately cringing into a singularity, which is a far cry from what they used to be.

L11ghtman

Jan 19, 2022
It did not launch this way. It took 3 and a half years for them to balance the game properly and remove people's glitched and unintended weapons that where insta killing things for example.
Id argue that it still kills a lot of the best aspects of Fallout 4 (junk and ammo and crafting) in favor of abusive farming mechanics that plague MMOs.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
Anything I need to watch before playing the updated version of Fallout 4? I've never played any fallout.

Oct 29, 2017
How's Fallout 4 VR nowadays? Never tried with the 4080 but it should do well I think. I heard it was rough but looking at what Skyrim VR modders did for that game, I'm intrigued.

CrackaFett

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Not sure how to get back into fallout 4. Been so many years. Steam says 100 hours but game save says 56. Maybe I just start a new character with a ton of mods.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Id argue that it still kills a lot of the best aspects of Fallout 4 (junk and ammo and crafting) in favor of abusive farming mechanics that plague MMOs.

Its a mixed bag. The fact of the matter is, unless you really want some themed camp shit or your 10th power armor with negligible stat differences, you don't need to farm all those currencies. The new weapons are in the loot pool and now you can reroll them so the chase for a god roll is at least more in your hands than before.

This game has had a skeleton crew on it after wastelanders launched, so they can't actually make repeatable content in any respectable timeframe so they add these long farming loops for completionists. Thankfully, the core game loop underneath is still there for new players to enjoy because the MMO stuff is basically throwaway and easy to move on from.

If it was predatory from the jump I would feel different about it all. But the insane amount of ugly camp shit theyve added to chase has zero allure to me personally and I would bet, a lot of players who have zero interest in playing a dollhouse simulator

AXidenT

Sep 14, 2021

General consensus for people I've spoken to offline is usually it's pretty good if you've never experienced the Witcher in some way before and enjoy fantasy generally, while it ranges from mediocre to bad if you've read the books or played the games and are familiar with the characters/story. I think as an adaptation it's not very good and it's hard for me to see past that personally and judge it as a standalone work since it changed a few of my favourite aspects of the books quite dramatically.

The Fallout show has been great though, I feel it's captured many nice aspects of the games, both classic and modern, which is quite impressive given how much the games vary in tone and focus.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Not sure how to get back into fallout 4. Been so many years. Steam says 100 hours but game save says 56. Maybe I just start a new character with a ton of mods.
It had also been many years for me so I started a fresh file yesterday. It's absolutely the right call. I've somehow forgotten so many of the smaller locations and so rediscovering explorable areas has been an immediate joy.

DuckSauce