• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty convinced that the only reason that FDC wasn't shown in Directs outside of Japan was because the segment they played was targeted squarely at Japanese nostalgia for the games and also probably because, assuming localization has started, it's not in a state to really show off yet.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty convinced that the only reason that FDC wasn't shown in Directs outside of Japan was because the segment they played was targeted squarely at Japanese nostalgia for the games and also probably because, assuming localization has started, it's not in a state to really show off yet.

It be really awesome if they decided to also translate the SNES remake by R&D1.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chiyomaru Shikura (creator of Steins:Gate and other Science Adventure visual novels) appears to be involved in the production of the remakes. He might even be the writer!
Well yeah, he's Mages CEO.

Interested to see if they'll add more stuff, but I think they'll stick to being as faithful as possible to the original scripts considering Sakamoto is likely the producer.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
I think they'll be sticking as close to the originals as they can. I don't expect much new asides from the visuals and voice acting.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Well yeah, he's Mages CEO.

Interested to see if they'll add more stuff, but I think they'll stick to being as faithful as possible to the original scripts considering Sakamoto is likely the producer.

Toru Osawa (Nintendo) will probably oversee the script while Sakamoto manages the overall production.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I could see adjustments or small additions being added here or there, but I don't anticipate massive additions to the stories. I do wish that the Satellaview game was a part of the package, though.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
One thing I think they might do, is increase your interactions with Ayumi. The SFC version did that a little bit, and I think they might expand that here.

OP
OP
sinonobu

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
So more I read into it, I'm more convinced that the remakes will be separate releases....

Which also makes me to believe that they will def increase the length of the each game.

morromocotudo

Nov 19, 2017
I just assumed it since Mages name came ahead of Nintendo in the presentation. Also Mages' name is in the end copyrights for these versions of the games at the end of trailer. Tose is in there too actually.

TOSE apparently co-owns the first game. The company's name was added to the copyright in some of the re-releases:

FDS:

©1988 Nintendo

ICf5Mti.png

GBA:

(C)1988-2004 Nintendo

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n08/fmk3/famitan/index.html

Wii:

©1988-2007 Nintendo/TOSE

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/vc/vc_fct/index.html

3DS:

©1988 Nintendo/TOSE

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/titles/50010000013890

Wii U:

©1988 Nintendo

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/titles/20010000004345

Switch:

©Nintendo/TOSE CO., LTD. ©MAGES.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=bvtqF7nlJfM

The sequel was also programmed by TOSE, but they don't appear in any of the copyrights.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Wow. This was a dream come true to me. FDT was one of my favourite games I've played this year, one transphobic joke nonwithstanding. I really really hope this comes out in english. This series really deserves the attention.

Last edited:

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
True!

People have a lot of faith in first party Nintendo games when it comes to quality so I can see Detective Club gaining a following if we get it localized.
I think this is the key. If they decide to localize it, they should present it as a classic Nintendo game from famous developers that was never localized. Get Sakamoto on screen again to talk about it. I bet it'll make a lot of people interested.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Why would there have been doubt that Nintendo is publishing their own remake?

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Mages previously published Spike Chunsoft game's remake under their name. But yeah it was always obvious when Nintendo was involved and the fact that some internal staff like Sakamoto is directly involved.

I wonder if the third chapter that was released on the BS-X was cannon.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
It's great to get a little more news on these! I hope that we get a localization announcement in the next Direct. I'm anxious about these, but still overall hopeful.

As far as I know, it doesn't contradict anything from the original two games. It probably is canon.

Would be great to see that remade as a bonus, but Satellaview stuff rarely gets acknowledged by Nintendo. Still, fingers crossed!

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Should be. Having the third Detective Club as an exclusive to the service was basically Satellaview's killer app compared to other games on the service which were usually just altered versions of existing games rather than all-new ones.

Really hope these games are in the next Direct =\

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I'd still bet on a localisation happening. Sure they're just saving it for when they have something to show in English; announcing the first international release of a Japan-only game with Japanese language footage would've been a weird reveal.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
when was the last time Nintendo didn't localize one of their games

feels like it's been a good long while

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
when was the last time Nintendo didn't localize one of their games

feels like it's been a good long while

Nintendo has localized all their first party Switch games.

On an interesting note, most of their first party Switch releases in Japan support English (and several other languages). The only exceptions have been Splatoon 2 and Xenoblade 2 (but not Xenoblade 2: Torna, oddly enough).

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Do we know if the games will have a physical release in Japan?

When a localisation does get announced, I wouldn't be surprised if they made them digital-only or something.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure a physical release will come for Europe. We may be looking at digital only for North America. I suspect the same date for Brain Age.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if the games will have a physical release in Japan?

When a localisation does get announced, I wouldn't be surprised if they made them digital-only or something.

No word on that yet, but I'm expecting them to be retail games.

I'm sure a physical release will come for Europe. We may be looking at digital only for North America. I suspect the same date for Brain Age.

That's very possible. Though since the Switch is region free, it at least won't be as much as a barrier to anyone who wants to import.

Brain Age is a weird case. It's being localized in English, so there's no reason not to bring it to North America. Either it's going to be digital only like you're thinking, or NoA is planning a later release for it (maybe February?).

Deleted member 5159

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the one who got remade for the super famicom had gorgeous sprite work, shame it never had an official localization. i played a bit of a fan translation and liked it, although the menu interface hasnt aged well. lovely sprites though from the wario/super metroid crew

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Ace Attorney has made me a little jaded in regards to the chances of games like this getting physical releases in PAL regions; but I guess that's more on Capcom than anything.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Even if Nintendo doesn't localise it, NISA or Aksys might step up to localise it.

OP
OP
sinonobu

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
I think English release is pretty likely considering everything...

I'm just hoping they bother localizing in like other languages like Korean, Chinese, so more people get to play it.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
its mindblowing to me that we're actually getting a nintendo visual novel in 2020
i hope they keep a good relationship with mages

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
its mindblowing to me that we're actually getting a nintendo visual novel in 2020
i hope they keep a good relationship with mages

Its suprising that they decided to bring back this series of all things. Not that I'm complaining, but I wonder why Nintendo decided to revisit a series that never even made it outside Japan during the NES era? Didn't Miyamoto say the market for adventure games is more difficult these days?

Last edited:
OP
OP
sinonobu

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Its suprising that they decided to bring back this series of all things. Not that I'm complaining, but I wonder why Nintendo decided to revisit a series that never even made it outside Japan during the NES era? Didn't Miyamoto say the market for adventure games is more difficult these days?
It was most likely that Chiyomaru (Mages CEO) has reached out to Nintendo for this remake to happen and not vice versa.

They already remade some of the classic adventure games and has expressed their interest in remaking more classics down the line.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Its suprising that they decided to bring back this series of all things. Not that I'm complaining, but I wonder why Nintendo decided to revisit a series that never even made it outside Japan during the NES era?

It's surprisingly always been a pretty popular IP of theirs in Japan. It consistently scores high whenever there's a ranking of Famicom games or general Nintendo games, and appropriately, the segment in the Japanese direct more or less was directed squarely at older fans. That said, I think Mages simply wanting to do it probably sealed the deal.

edit: what sinonobu said

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
yeah it is. you can check the threadmark for more remake designs!
Oh wow! Hype increased!

If the do ever localize it, it would be strange to call it Famicom Detective Club, not to mention Nintendo Detective Club. I'm sure someone at Treehouse has prepared a localized title should it ever make it here, though ("Leave Luck to Heaven Detective Club").