• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

via DEEPL
--As for this new offering of the classic game, are there any additional features from the original version, such as support for higher frame rates, etc.?

Jim Ryan: More details to come, but I've heard from people who have played with it that it looks great on PlayStation 4 and 5. But it will depend on the title of the game.

Felt this was thread worthy enough as what I feel is the most interesting aspect of the new subs (Retro Games) didn't get much info. I'm going to guess that we're going to be treated to more options than we had on PS3 at minimum. I'm hoping to see the options for a CRT Filter and the like among other things.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
Are these going to be locked behind the sub service, similar to Nintendo's approach?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
PS2 emulation on the PS5 is literally unusable at the moment, so I guess anything is an improvement.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
I like how Jim Ryan is sticking to his brand and hasn't even looked at the old games, lol.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I think all of the titles will be purchasable on their own. However, I could see them making them Sub exclusive for X amount of time before opening them up.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It's gonna be a meh for me if my PS1 and PS2 games still run better and more enhanced on the free emulator on my Xbox than they do on my $17.99 a month sub on my PS5.

Hard to tell if this suggests any enhancements? You'd hope that some internal resolution stuff and some filters should be fairly doable? I was hoping for trophy support but people talked me down from that in the other thread. Apparently it was a nightmare on the PS2 games on PS4.

Still, outside of any tech upgrades or improvements, the catalogue is what's gonna make or break this I think. If they go deep and add a load of games that aren't so easy to get these days or more interesting stuff then it'll be an easy sub. I'm fascinated to see what's available.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I heard from people who have played with it that it looks shite on PlayStation 4 and 5. Review-thread is gonna be interesting.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PLEAAASSEEE.

I need to play Silent Hill 2 and ICO in 4K. Need it.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I have about a dozen PS1 games from my PS3 days. I'd love to play them, but I get the feeling that my purchase of those games won't help me here.

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
To me, this is gonna be a whole new blog post and announcement as we get closer to Plus revamp. While they didn't say anything about them being able to be bought separately, the 3rd tier didn't say anything about them being exclusive or only available on that tier. Both the 2nd and 3rd used the "catalog of games" and if today's announcement was more about selling you on the new +, I feel they would've said if they were exclusive

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
Jim Ryan: More details to come, but I've heard from people who have played with it that it looks great on PlayStation 4 and 5. But it will depend on the title of the game.

Ahh yes, I haven't played it but believe me, it looks great.

You'd expect the CEO to maybe test the new product they're launching. Lol

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The current PS2 emulator runs with around 10 frames of lag and no resolution boost and ugly upscaling. It's bad.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
Besides technical improvements, I'd like to change controls a bit. Instead of left and right sides of the touch pad for start and select, I'd like the Touch Pad for Select and Options for Start.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
The fact they couldn't even name-drop a few titles baffles me. Y'all are the ones working on it.
Are you not even sure about the 1st party titles you're adding lol.

I expect a dripfeed of info regarding the games per platform in the next weeks/months. Gotta keep that hype going for an extended amount of time.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Jim Ryan's standards regarding classic games it's probably: "They go past the start screen? Cool"

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I wish we had access to our old library. And wtf Sony, why is Vita missing from the list? Different architecture I know but it can't be difficult with the power difference.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I just hope I can buy them piece meal. I'm not subscribing to play some PSP games but would love to relieve some classics.