• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Well it's not hard to imagine the story of this game was coming into focus right at the exact moment the election was entering it's home stretch (2 years ago), right up to the actual election night (1.5 years ago).

Back when the first concept art came out a guy on Reddit posted about how he'd been in one of the focus groups for this game. He said that despite some thinking that it was going to be a story about racism and the far-right, that wasn't the impression he got from the game when he saw it. Rather what he saw was a game that leaned more into the David Koresh/Jim Jones direction of religious cults. I don't see why they have to alter the story they want to tell in order to tell something that you or Waypoint want to hear. It's not their fault that people are way too anxious to jump to conclusions about what a game is or isn't about.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
if the developers choose a setting that is very obviously political in today's climate, then criticizing the game on what it's saying (or not) about politics is absolutely fair game

i know, not everyone have the will or intellectual ability to critically think about the political messages and interpretations of the games they are playing, but ridiculing those who do is only making yourself look bad

Yes, it's totally fair game of course, just as it is fair game to ignore or not care about politics in video games. We live in an utterly saturated political climate, just look at any social media, hell even many 'entertainment' TV/streaming shows.

I don't think anyone is ridiculing those who want to review or look at games through a political lens, but for damn sure it's not relevant to my personal feelings about games in general, and most especially an Ubi open world sandbox series title. If I feel the need for politics, there are numerous outstanding sources and sites to discuss real world events and situations at length, up to current day/hour/minute.

I mean, is it even all that fair to make it a chief bit of criticism for entertainment? "Marvel's Infinity War doesn't call out Trump's idiotic behavior this week, C-".

I say this as something of a liberty minded social Democrat, so believe me, seeing fascism and antidemocratic aholes skewered makes me happy, but games have largely been nice escapes from politics, it at least only treaded thinly in those waters, it's nice to have entertainment that isn't drowning in what we have mountains of already.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Back when the first concept art came out a guy on Reddit posted about how he'd been in one of the focus groups for this game. He said that despite some thinking that it was going to be a story about racism and the far-right, that wasn't the impression he got from the game when he saw it. Rather what he saw was a game that leaned more into the David Koresh/Jim Jones direction of religious cults. I don't see why they have to alter the story they want to tell in order to tell something that you or Waypoint want to hear. It's not their fault that people are way too anxious to jump to conclusions about what a game is or isn't about.
When did I say anything about anyone altering a story?

The Waypoint article points out the game touches on elements around Trump's election, and someone else pointed to that and said "like they even had time to include such things", to which I replied "Of course they had time, the election happened 1.5 years ago".

Golden_Pigeon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
84 on OpenCritic is really good.

I hope that the Origin turn will reflect on all the future games. It's a shift from 70s to 80s. Basically from decent games (most of them) to legit good games. (AC:O and FC 5)

I'm really curious on the next AC now, also i want to see the quality of thoses FC 5 DLC.

It's a shame that they watered down the politics of FC 5 though; they had a great opportunity but i can see the cost of taking it.

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
as the waypoint review gets into, the game fails to address even the religious cult angle appropriately. they worked with experts on religious cults who told them several times that cults are much more about social pressure than drugs and mind programming, yet the developers chose to focus on the drugs and brainwashing angle

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
For me the latest Far Cry games have been mediocre because of their predictability. There is no joy of discovery or surprise anymore because the game doesn't deviate from its core gameplay loop. I loved Far Cry 2 because of its unconvential and unforgiving systems and I loved Far Cry 3 because it shook up the formula. Since then its sequels have retained that same gameplay loop, with little room for innovation or surprise.

I hope I am mistaken for Far Cry 5 but reviews so far are not convincing me.

Soulstoner

Oct 27, 2017
I think a game like Far Cry is ultimately about fuckin' around and having a laugh. The fact you can play through the campaign, side missions and explore with a friend really ups the fun factor in my opinion. Is it perfect? Nah. Will it be a good time? Hell yes.

I guess I'm in the minority here but I don't really care if the game misses some of it's narrative cues or "isn't saying anything" as some reviews have stated. I love the setting of this game and the idea of fighting a cult and that's all I need for a sandbox game like this where it's about exploring, getting into some shit and having fun.
I hear you. I was just hoping they'd mimic the same co-op mechanics of Ghost Recon Wildlands. They absolutely nailed it for story/mission and character progression, even with drop-in, drop-out.

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Yes, it's totally fair game of course, just as it is fair game to ignore or not care about politics in video games. We live in an utterly saturated political climate, just look at any social media, hell even many 'entertainment' TV/streaming shows.

I don't think anyone is ridiculing those who want to review or look at games through a political lens, but for damn sure it's not relevant to my personal feelings about games in general, and most especially an Ubi open world sandbox series title. If I feel the need for politics, there are numerous outstanding sources and sites to discuss real world events and situations at length, up to current day/hour/minute.

I mean, is it even all that fair to make it a chief bit of criticism for entertainment? "Marvel's Infinity War doesn't call out Trump's idiotic behavior this week, C-".

I say this as something of a liberty minded social Democrat, so believe me, seeing fascism and antidemocratic aholes skewered makes me happy, but games have largely been nice escapes from politics, it at least only treaded thinly in those waters, it's nice to have entertainment that isn't drowning in what we have mountains of already.
not everyone wants games to be nothing but escapism and mindless entertainment

many of us see the medium, with its unique interactivity, as a great vehicle to address various serious topics. for those of us interested in the potential of games to be art, reviewers like waypoint, which consider the politics of games as part of their criticism, are essential

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Reviews confirms that this will be a game I pick up on a sale, most likely on black Friday.
Had they just dared more with the story, e.g. go deeper with the religious and alt-right themes then I'd probably had ordered it asap.

Edit: Thought of one word, wrote another. Corrected this.

I'm glad they didn't. That simply wouldn't be Far Cry.

Look at Far Cry 4. The dictator was probably the nicest guy of the whole bunch, while the "good guys" you were fighting for ending up either slaughtering everyone who didn't fall in line with their religion or rounding up forced child labor to work in the opium farms.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
What, you didn't like having to unlock basic FPS actions like cooking grenades through a faux-skill tree to give the illusion of depth? :P

That wasn't good, and neither was the "skin 50 animals for a wallet" stuff, but skill points coming only through challenges and reducing all the upgrades to skill points and money doesn't appear to be much better.

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
if the developers choose a setting that is very obviously political in today's climate, then criticizing the game on what it's saying (or not) about politics is absolutely fair game
Wait, how the fuck is Montana some super political climate setting?

Montana is never talked about when it comes to presidential elections or anything like that, because it's basically irrelevant. It's not some hotbed of political activity.

Bananastand

Oct 26, 2017
Back when the first concept art came out a guy on Reddit posted about how he'd been in one of the focus groups for this game. He said that despite some thinking that it was going to be a story about racism and the far-right, that wasn't the impression he got from the game when he saw it. Rather what he saw was a game that leaned more into the David Koresh/Jim Jones direction of religious cults. I don't see why they have to alter the story they want to tell in order to tell something that you or Waypoint want to hear. It's not their fault that people are way too anxious to jump to conclusions about what a game is or isn't about.[/B]

It is barely even that. I played over 20 hours of the game and I still couldn't really tell you what this cult is all about or what they exactly believe. Are they Christians? The game kinda goes out of its way to deny this. Far Cry 5 didn't have to be a story about the alt-right but when you are invoking imagery of cults and militias in America you could do a whole lot more with it than it is currently doing.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Ubi are aggressively mediocre, having found just the right formula to get good sales but never push the boat. The Marvel of gaming.
Lmao. 7 and 8s are aggressively mediocre hey? Its especially funny because most of Ubisofts live service games improve a lot, re-review Rainbow Six these days easily 80+

Icekilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only good story part about recent Far Cry games was the how memorable the main villains are, Vaas and Pagin Min were at least interesting. Does FC5 have a interesting villain?

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
All these reviews calling for a revamp really just solidify my excitement for the game. I love the Far Cry formula, and I'd hate if they changed it.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

They were explicitly invited to an unveiling/preview event that GAVE them these expectations and tried to hype up the story in that way. They aren't just pulling these expectations out of thin air.

And even on top of that, the review talks about how the game tries to keep the cult generic as fuck seemingly so as not to earn any "Video game attacks Christians!" headlines, and as a result you never really come to understand the origins or motives of the cult well enough.

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
because of voting like so:
montana2016stup9.png

for one of the most polarizing political candidates ever

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That wasn't good, and neither was the "skin 50 animals for a wallet" stuff, but skill points coming only through challenges and reducing all the upgrades to skill points and money doesn't appear to be much better.

I think it'll depend how the challenges are. Like in Wolfenstein TNO I liked unlocking the perks by doing various challenges and it encouraged me to branch out and try different things when under normal circumstances I tend to play stealthy or use whatever gun I like the most all of the time. I like when devs force creativity instead of relying on people to do it themselves, because most won't most of the time (myself included).

Frostman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great Britain
It's nice to see the game reviewing well, but I'm shocked to be honest.

The gameplay and livestreams I've seen of this have painted it as more of the same, with it (barely) adding to the Farcry 3 formula. I can't believe it's been 3 games now where they have the exact same core loop within the gameplay, kill-conquer-repeat. I was hoping for this to be a revamp ala Origins, but have been disappointed. They can't keep doing this surely? I thought Primal was the last straw, but clearly many are still enjoying this grindy loop.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to play this tomorrow! Personally, I love the Ubisoft open-world formula and Far Cry does it the best in my opinion. Sometimes you just want a simple game with clear objectives. Looking forward to kicking back, enjoying a stupid story and clearing out a giant map.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
because of voting like so:
montana2016stup9.png

for one of the most polarizing political candidates ever
So what? That's just percentages, not total electoral votes or some high population state. Percentage doesn't make a state a huge political hotbed focus.

There are plenty of other states with a high percentage toward one candidate or the other.

You think Montana is politically more important than California, or New York, or Texas, etc?? Of course not.

What about Idaho? Alaska? Nebraska? Those all have percentages for Trump similar to Montana. Doesn't mean they're super important political states.

MThanded

Oct 26, 2017
Waypoint seems to review games on political agenda first, gameplay last. I dont play games to listen to political commentary. I play them for fun. I never find their reviews worthwhile.
Whenever someone uses the term "political agenda" there is an implication of their intent when discussing a review or an article. Usually it means I don't agree with the author or publishing body. People don't use that term when they agree with the media they are discussing. You can disagree with their perspective but the implication that a review that frames the came inside of the reality of the real world doesn't make it a "political agenda".

Commonly people use the term to discredit or ignore viewpoints of commonly marginalized groups. The implication that the reality of the author or group is actually just a political talking point and therefore can be overlooked. This is pretty rampant right now and also being used to discredit survivors of mass shootings, victims of police brutality and discussion of lgbtq issues.

Also I will likely be buying this game but the points being made in the Waypoint article are extremely valid.

Montana is never talked about when it comes to presidential elections or anything like that, because it's basically irrelevant. It's not some hotbed of political activity.
Montana has a definite lean and a very specific set of demographics. It is the 45th in racial diversity. Just because a state isn't Ohio or Florida doesn't mean there isn't political discussion to be had. Actually it's probably a great state to have a nuanced political discussion about the current climate here in the US.

Here is some interesting insight into the complexities of politics in Montana

http://billingsgazette.com/news/loc...cle_82ede8d0-2245-50c4-8b89-0ccc2b1d278b.html

Last edited:

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah it's pretty funny people are saying Montana is like a shit hole place. It's perfect. Right on the Canadian border. Lovely landscapes.

They just used the location as a setting.

CodeRich

Alt-Account.
Banned
Mar 3, 2018
i kind of wish Far Cry went back to its origins, genetic engineering

this "villain" of the year type thing they got going on since Far Cry 3 is kind of ehh

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
I was on the fence whether I wanted to pick this up but I think the reviews are pushing me towards the no side.

While the reviews are generally positive and it seems like a pretty good game, it doesn't appear to be outstanding, especially with middling/milquetoast characters and story. Perhaps I'll pick it up during a Steam sale, or the Resetera impressions will change my mind down the road.