• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Until you start getting chased by the rainbow turkeys!

They did tone them down though. They were absolute monsters in 5. I have a video of me using a flamethrower on a bunch of them and they just shrug it off and keep coming. I end up on fire too.

Also, I think Ubisoft put double-jump in just for this guy:

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The semi-auto silenced tier two assault rifle is the best. Just picking people off silently from afar is my new jam. Can even take out the alarms in one hit too!

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Since I finished Crackdown 3 today, Metro is pretty much broken on Xbox and Anthem is a turdfest I decided to buy myself a key on CDKeys. I played for around 90 minutes and.... This is great! It's everything I wanted the FC5 Season Pass to be.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Since I finished Crackdown 3 today, Metro is pretty much broken on Xbox and Anthem is a turdfest I decided to buy myself a key on CDKeys. I played for around 90 minutes and.... This is great! It's everything I wanted the FC5 Season Pass to be.

What's funny is watching Jim Sterling admit that the only fun game he's played this week is New Dawn. And I'm pretty sure he hates having to say that.

Ugh, thanks for reminding me how bad the season pass was.
I had high hopes for it and it was just so boring.

Fleet of Foot

Oct 27, 2017
Springboro, OH
I like far cry 5 but having a tough time getting into this.

Several hours in and I feel so weak. All the weapons I can access feel so weak. And all the upgrades feel so far out of reach. The ethanol seems so hard to come by.

The game feels silent. Where's the great music far cry 5 had? The characters are lame. The animations feel second-rate. Everything about it feels b-tier which for $40, maybe I should accept.

And even though I'm playing as the female, they don't try very hard to hide the fact that all the dialogue is written as if you're playing as the male. Constantly calling me "dude" or "my guy" or "son of a bitch."

I do appreciate that they let my dog get in my sidecar, though.

Last edited:

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Wait.... you can shoot out alarms? I've just been taking them out manually like a chump, you've just made me a 20% better stealthman.

Yeah, I've been trying to scout camps to spot all the alarms first so I can disable one or two and shoot the other(s) before anyone can activate it. Just be sure there aren't any enemies too close, because they will notice a bullet whizzing past them and hitting the alarm.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Blow torch tip: if you move the reticle around while using the blow torch, it speeds up the bar. Strange but true.

You can save a couple of seconds!

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
It's funny how poorly balanced the difficulty is. Now that I unlocked tier 4 weapons I'm destroying everything in 2 seconds and it's easy as hell. The Blood Dragon bow is cool and way overpowered. Rolling with that, the Blunderbass and Bear themed disc launcher now. They should have went crazier with the weapons in this game, outside of the disc launcher most of it is a rehash of FC5 and standard weapons we've seen before.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was clever. I found Boomer's grave, but there's a trick to finding it. I won't say where it is, but it's near one of the first safes you can come across. You might not have the perk to break into yet. I didn't, so I put some C4 on it and broke it open. Turns out that making the safe go boom also blows up the thing that is covering Boomer's marker. I walked right past it and never realized it was there until I blew up the safe.

Also, there's a Splinter Cell outfit hidden in the game.
Because Ubisoft loves teasing us.

Last edited:

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Oh yeah just noticed last night that if you kill animals with a bow you get 2 skins instead of one.

Classicrock78

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
San Antonio
Once your done with this game theirs no reason to keep it on the hdd right? There no plans for dlc or extra modes?im almost done and need the space for another game i have that i dont have room for.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Game is fun as hell. I love wandering around and discovering stuff, and it's gorgeous.

When do I unlock the expeditions?

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah just noticed last night that if you kill animals with a bow you get 2 skins instead of one.
Yeah, thats been in there for a while. I really like that although skinning animals this time around doesn't seem as necessary. I can't remember if doing melee attacks gave extra as well.

Game is fun as hell. I love wandering around and discovering stuff, and it's gorgeous.

When do I unlock the expeditions?
Its a part of prosperity near the helipad. Speak to the French pilot or do it from the menu to start unlocking them. I think they are available at the first level of upgrade.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Really? What problems are you having? Mine has froze twice in 10 hours so far on Xbox One X - not a big deal at all. Maybe I've just been lucky.

OP
OP
Eleriu

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I found what was left of Fall's End and I felt some sadness when I realized what location it was when I arrived.

Oct 27, 2017
So just discovered expeditions tonight and they are a lot of fun with the added bonus of lots of good crafting materials. This game definitely is delivering for me in the same way Primal did. Absolutely love it.

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm really pissed about
The Deputy ending up becoming The Judge. It kind of makes me feel like absolutely nothing I did in 5 mattered. I didn't raise hell across rural Montana just to end up becoming another brainwashed Peggy. I loved 5 and this has retroactively made me like it less.

Other than that really loving the game except that I feel like they nerfed bow gameplay to encourage you to use the saw launcher. Launcher is fun sometimes but it always alerts other dudes when I'm stealthing because of the bounce. Seems like it even hits an explosive barrel every third time.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm really pissed about
The Deputy ending up becoming The Judge. It kind of makes me feel like absolutely nothing I did in 5 mattered. I didn't raise hell across rural Montana just to end up becoming another brainwashed Peggy. I loved 5 and this has retroactively made me like it less.

Other than that really loving the game except that I feel like they nerfed bow gameplay to encourage you to use the saw launcher. Launcher is fun sometimes but it always alerts other dudes when I'm stealthing because of the bounce. Seems like it even hits an explosive barrel every third time.

Get the Blood Dragon bow and prepare to be OP as hell.

Also,
nothing you did in 5 mattered and you may have actually caused the apocalypse.The nukes don't go off if you don't arrest Joseph. The ending is weird and I was convinced that it was a Bliss hallucination at first since he dumped barrels of it all over you, but nope.

Last edited:

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Just talk to the chopper pilot in Prosperity. I don't remember exactly when it opened up but it opens up not far into the game.
Yeah, thats been in there for a while. I really like that although skinning animals this time around doesn't seem as necessary. I can't remember if doing melee attacks gave extra as well.

Its a part of prosperity near the helipad. Speak to the French pilot or do it from the menu to start unlocking them. I think they are available at the first level of upgrade.

Thanks.

Also, I've only ever seen the roaming traders who I can exchange skins, etc, with. Where can I do this at Prosperity?

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I finished the main storyline, with a bunch of expeditions and higher level outposts left to do, plus a bunch of hunting spots and general exploration stuff.

Overall I'm pretty darn pleased with New Dawn. It's a lighter, more focused game compared to FC5. I especially love the fact it's a successor to Far Cry: Instincts bringing back the Feral abilities with Crysis-style cloaking on top of that. (Although cloaking is way less OP compared to Crysis.) It's just awesome leaping around, throwing baseball bats at people's faces, and punching them repeatedly until they die. If New Dawn had serious environmental destruction, I think it would be a worthy successor to Crysis. As it is, it's a great successor to Instincts.

I think the last narrative act of the game does feel a bit truncated. A lot of events happen very quickly. Adding an extra 2-3 missions would have helped the pacing there.

It is very Burial At Sea-ish in that it kinda-sorta provides answers to questions that were perhaps better left ambiguous. It just gets spoonfuls of mud and tosses them into the already cloudy water. It introduces plot elements with serious implications that are never quite explored.

There's an underlying theme in New Dawn of "taint". That tree, and the pink flowers on it. It's unnatural. Perhaps even evil. As far as I can tell, that tree is the reason there are pink flowers everywhere. It's the source.

"Nobody talks about those flowers anymore," muses a note you find up north, with someone noting they're seeing symptoms akin to radiation poisoning yet there's no source of radiation. All they know is there's an unknown toxin. The strange drink Ethan gives you protects you from whatever it is, and burning fire also protects you. Interestingly, in the presence of this toxin, the fire is pink. It all ties back to the pink tree. There's something deeper there. The fact the Dep is seeing Joseph and hearing his voice -- his instructions to go to the island, enter the bunker, and take the book, even though they've never met him. Joseph claims he saw a vision of Dep's face before he exiled himself to the North... that is eyebrow raising. This is an actual prophecy in the bunker. Edeners talk about it. There's no reason to think Joseph is lying about that. In Far Cry 5, Faith warned Rook that Joseph isn't their savior. Joseph comes to this same conclusion in New Dawn, and it's a moment of despair for him. In hindsight, Faith never said that Rook was the savior. She said that Joseph wasn't the savior, and that Rook would decide what happened.

Where it all gets very muddled is that characters in Far Cry are clearly capable of having supernatural visions of the future. It's very likely tied to high concentrations of Bliss. It's quite possible that the mysterious drink Jason Brody drank in Far Cry 3 may have been chemically similar to The Bliss. The people working on those gates to the north were falling apart, having mysterious dreams, among other things.

I think that FC New Dawn is a callback to both Instincts and FC4 Valley of the Yetis. In FC4's DLC, there was a mysterious substance that turned people into monsters, called Awakened Ones. When Ethan eats the fruit and he transforms, supposedly because his soul is corrupt, he transforms into something that could be a Yeti, merely masked by the black stuff coming off him. There's a painting on the rock across from the tree that bears a pretty strong resemblance to one.

Whatever the tree actually is, its fruit causes those who don't go haywire to develop superhuman abilities very similar to those induced by the serum in Far Cry Instincts.

There might be clearer answers hidden in the game, but I'm puzzled as to whether Joseph discovered the tree before or after the events of Far Cry 5. Also, who has been allowed to eat from the tree? There's an assumption made that the "Chosen" are on drugs that allow them to shrug off damage that would kill normal people. We do stumble across those strange twisted bodies in a few places up north. Those are presumably people who battled the beast inside and lost. So maybe all the Chosen ate the fruit?

Joseph ate from the tree, battled the beast/sin inside, and prevailed. But he later refers to his soul as being a cancer. He begs you to "end the vicious cycle" by killing him. This puzzles me a little. Unless turning into a rampaging monster is a crapshoot, I'm assuming that the test is genuine. If your intentions are pure, then you gain the power of the fruit. If your intentions are not pure, you are consumed. Yet Joseph wasn't consumed.

Which makes me think that this is the tragedy. Joseph is wholly sincere. Wholly selfless. He's deeply contrite for everything he's done. But no matter what he does, death and suffering follow. I think this is more meaningful than "Joseph has shit luck and really bad judgement". He's doomed to cause death and destruction no matter what he does. One could argue that the Edeners had a nice thing going (take only what we need) that Ethan decided to screw up because he was a selfish and bitter little shithead, but he's Joseph's son. It all comes back to him.

Long story short, New Dawn does slot a little awkwardly into Far Cry 5. There are some big question marks. There's an interesting note from one of the Edeners spitballing ideas for Joseph praise songs. It says "He will know the Shepherd when they come just like he knew the seals would be broken". New Dawn kinda glosses over the entire business with the seals. This is the only reference I've found to that.[/quote]

I think the difficulty spike with the final two boss battles is kinda odd. I get flashbacks to Volcano in the original Far Cry. I get the feeling those boss battles are supposed to be a test of your agility, use of your weaponry, etc. But it ends up being too spongy for its own good. Particularly the second to last battle. Surely it would have been better if you'd been fighting with your bare hands and whatever blunt objects you could pick up? Really lean into the whole bestial fury instead of shooting these people in the face with the best gun you could craft until they stop moving. Especially since those abilities don't level up. Any such boss battle would be pure tactics, not gathering Ethanol to craft a super powerful sniper rifle.

But yea, great game. Story-wise, it doesn't give one the same chills Far Cry 5 did. But it's honestly a pretty good story with some well rounded characters and I'm honestly a bit bemused by people calling the story "shit" and such. Nick Rye reuniting with his family is one of the most beautiful cutscenes of any Ubisoft game. The intermission scenes are thought-provoking. Hurk's recruitment mission left me with a huge smile on my face. He's so naive and sincere. He's stupid, but fundamentally a good guy who looks out for others. People who hate Hurk hate fun itself.

There are no plans for any DLC or anything like that, but I hope they refine the game some more. One thing I notice playing on PC is that some of the subtitles play way too fast or generally out of sync. There are some some major subtitle errors in Joseph Seed's dialogue. It's weird how he says "sin" in the audio in one scene but "beast" in the subtitles. Later he says, "Sin is a beast we cannot feed." But the subtitles say, "Sin is a beast we cannot not feed." Which uh... is the exact opposite. There is a vague sense of Ubi rushing the localization a tad. I'd be awesome if they added more expeditions or perhaps an even higher difficulty. Don't make the game stupidly hard. Just nerf Guns for Hire assistance, and allow more enemy types to use grenades and such. New Dawn's AI can be surprisingly tough, it's just that most of them don't really behave aggressively.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks.

Also, I've only ever seen the roaming traders who I can exchange skins, etc, with. Where can I do this at Prosperity?
At gun shop/crafting area you can enter that menu and select an option in the top right, next to refill ammo to trade your skins. If you want maps like the traders sell, you need to work on a section of prosperity. I wanna say it's called cartography when you are in the area. It's got a staircase leading up to it and on the north wall

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
At gun shop/crafting area you can enter that menu and select an option in the top right, next to refill ammo to trade your skins. If you want maps like the traders sell, you need to work on a section of prosperity. I wanna say it's called cartography when you are in the area. It's got a staircase leading up to it and on the north wall

Aha, great, thanks.

I bought this and Metro, and shockingly, I'm enjoying New Dawn much more. Never would have predicted that. I like to actually have fun when I play games. This is fun, Metro isn't.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did you attempt that mission before or after you met Joseph?

I'm trying to remember the mission structure. I played the fight pit mission just before the prison mission -- the last 1/3 of the game, basically. But I think the arena unlocks quite a bit earlier, which is a problem because melee combat is really, really ineffective until you meet Joseph and then unlock the "Gift" perks which turn the game into Far Cry Instincts 2. In terms of how that mission is positioned, it feels like it's supposed to take place after the "Gift", and you thrashing the other contestants is supposed to be a demonstration of your abilities. If you don't have the Gift, I imagine it's a very difficult and longwinded fight.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Enjoying this quite a bit. The only part I hated so far was the arena fight. :/

It's very very easy if you do a couple of the New Eden quests first.

That was a great write-up Dr. Caroll and some interesting ideas about that
tree. I figured it was a Bliss/radiation tree, and not good, when I first saw it.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Did you attempt that mission before or after you met Joseph?

I'm trying to remember the mission structure. I played the fight pit mission just before the prison mission -- the last 1/3 of the game, basically. But I think the arena unlocks quite a bit earlier, which is a problem because melee combat is really, really ineffective until you meet Joseph and then unlock the "Gift" perks which turn the game into Far Cry Instincts 2. In terms of how that mission is positioned, it feels like it's supposed to take place after the "Gift", and you thrashing the other contestants is supposed to be a demonstration of your abilities. If you don't have the Gift, I imagine it's a very difficult and longwinded fight.

It's very very easy if you do a couple of the New Eden quests first.

That was a great write-up Dr. Caroll and some interesting ideas about that
tree. I figured it was a Bliss/radiation tree, and not good, when I first saw it.

Lmao that explains it then. I did it while on my way to the first Eden mission. Good to know that it's meant to be done afterwards, because it was endlessly frustrating lol. I ended up having to just throw melee weapons at most of the enemies. 😂

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I threw melee weapons at the enemies just for the sake of it. The final boss at the end of it died relatively fast when I decided to stop running and just attack him. I upgraded my melee damage through perks since I stockpile points a lot of the time but later it feels like my melee sucked against other people. Makes me wonder what happened, if its just in my head about the effectiveness or lack of it during some fights or if they made that arena boss easier.

EDIT:

Question to people who beat the game:
Did you guys choose to kill Mickey or spare her? I chose to spare her and went back and read the note she left. I'm curious if there is anything special if you kill her. I guess its hard to tell unless people compare their endings or watch videos. I thought for sure that sparing her would mean that Cap dies from a surprise attack or something.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I'm really liking the game so far. Any game with base development as a progression mechanic, especially with visible changes to the base as you upgrade it, always seems to hook me. It also scales down the Ubisoft checklist madness. You still have tons of checklists, but they're more reasonable and less busywork-y.

Hurk rules, too. He's an idiot, but he's not a mean idiot, and that goes a long way. If your two goals are 1) Have Fun, and 2) Help People, you're alright. I also love the way they have him
acknowledge that you've done all this before, and will probably do it again.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
So looking at CDKeys it's pretty cheap, but it appears to just be for Europe? So my American ass wouldn't be able to use it, right?

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking back on the game, I'm a bit torn on how to feel. I may have played two Far Cry entries too close together but there are a lot of changes made to New Dawn that I found myself getting upset with. Overall I still had a decent time playing it, especially at the lower price than a standard game. But I hope Far Cry sees more changes in the future and some systems from this get refined. I have a lot of issues with the game but I especially don't care for the need to reset outposts for more ethanol.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Did you know that Timber can give paw?

NYmg0re.jpg

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I used Timber the bulk of the time because he was so useful and didn't realize you could do that. I still wish two companions was the system they kept. They also seem weak to me for some reason. Like it is really easy for the enemy to bombard your companion and take them out.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I used Timber the bulk of the time because he was so useful and didn't realize you could do that. I still wish two companions was the system they kept. They also seem weak to me for some reason. Like it is really easy for the enemy to bombard your companion and take them out.

Did you upgrade them to elites? They are pretty tough.

Also, if Timber gets really hurt, but not downed, if you pet him there's a totally different animation where your character pets him really gently. It's sweet.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Did you upgrade them to elites? They are pretty tough.

Also, if Timber gets really hurt, but not downed, if you pet him there's a totally different animation where your character pets him really gently. It's sweet.

I did make them elites but when I was going through level 3 outposts, I felt like I had to go get them quite a few times. Especially so for Carmina and The Judge. Others seemed more resilient. Especially Timber. I watched him kill someone in a fire and thought for sure he'd be downed and he game back at 75% health. It could also be that it was just too many tough opponents focused on them at once but I don't remember my teammates being downed as much in FC5. I miss those guys. Nice to see some of them return even if they aren't in a combative capacity. I didn't realize petting him under different circumstances like that gives different animations lol.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I did make them elites but when I was going through level 3 outposts, I felt like I had to go get them quite a few times. Especially so for Carmina and The Judge. Others seemed more resilient. Especially Timber. I watched him kill someone in a fire and thought for sure he'd be downed and he game back at 75% health. It could also be that it was just too many tough opponents focused on them at once but I don't remember my teammates being downed as much in FC5. I miss those guys. Nice to see some of them return even if they aren't in a combative capacity. I didn't realize petting him under different circumstances like that gives different animations lol.

Yeah to get the paw, you just have to crouch first and then pet him.
He did another funny thing that I couldn't get a screencap of yet, but I was crouched down in front of him with the sawblade and he got this super funny surprised face for a second. They definitely added a bunch of new animations for him on top of reusing the Boomer ones.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah to get the paw, you just have to crouch first and then pet him.
He did another funny thing that I couldn't get a screencap of yet, but I was crouched down in front of him with the sawblade and he got this super funny surprised face for a second. They definitely added a bunch of new animations for him on top of reusing the Boomer ones.
Oh I'll have to go back and try that out. I never thought to crouch and try to pet him. Usually I just pet him randomly like walking around Prosperity or accidentally when I'm trying to loot bodies. And also when I feel bad cause I accidentally hit him.

Speaking of which, I've defeated a companion like 3 times like that when they stepped into my shot suddenly. Twice it was Hurk that got downed lol

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I'll have to go back and try that out. I never thought to crouch and try to pet him. Usually I just pet him randomly like walking around Prosperity or accidentally when I'm trying to loot bodies. And also when I feel bad cause I accidentally hit him.

Speaking of which, I've defeated a companion like 3 times like that when they stepped into my shot suddenly. Twice it was Hurk that got downed lol

I lost count of how many times I've shot Carmina.

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
Several hours in and I feel so weak. All the weapons I can access feel so weak. And all the upgrades feel so far out of reach. The ethanol seems so hard to come by.

I've found it to be quite the opposite. I upgraded to level 2 and then 3 weapons fairly quickly, I doubt I'm even halfway through the story. Just re-do outposts, they are a cakewalk on level 1 and barely a challenge on level 2, you'll get plenty of ethanol this way in the early game.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reading some of the comments, it almost sounds like this game isn't just a reskin of Far Cry 5, which i liked, but almost a year later STILL feel burnt out on.

Maybe I'll have to give it a shot.

But be serious guys, is it just a reskin of 5?