• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
Got to play for a bit. Graphics look better, particurally in foliage. Not crazy about the rpg aspects so far, but a bit too early to fully judge it.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The saw blade weapon is badass. Kinda reminds me of the Razor Wind from Turok 2 crossed with the Shredder, also from Turok 2.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I think the weakest aspect of this game is going to be the main story/missions. Every single Farcry game seems to have the same issue where the main antagonist feels disconnected from everything because they disappear for hours at a time and then just turn up out of nowhere.

Robert

Nov 15, 2017
Welcome to a New Dawn of increasingly beautiful Far Cry games.

W2fIqz.png

W2fRwF.png

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Gotta say, at first I didn't like that you couldn't customize weapons individually anymore, but as I play more I'm liking that it forces you to play outside your comfort zone. Ever since FC3, my formula has been essentially the same: bow/silenced pistol 80-90% of the enemies and mop up the rest with assault rifle. You can't get either of those out of the gate here, and when you do their damage is low enough that they don't remain effective for long.

The sawblade weapon is pretty neat, wish they had leaned more into the "homemade weapons" idea (but maybe there's more to come?). Glad to see the smiley shovel makes a return, sad I couldn't throw it though.

I also like the replaying/leveling outpost mechanic.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I think the weakest aspect of this game is going to be the main story/missions. Every single Farcry game seems to have the same issue where the main antagonist feels disconnected from everything because they disappear for hours at a time and then just turn up out of nowhere.
I had more fun doing treasure hunts than anything else. Campaign is pretty much garbage.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Installing latest drivers to see if this stabilizes fps.
Im way over Vram requirement and specs so idk what gives

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Character skin seems significantly... lusher than Far Cry 5. Like they've jacked up the sub-surface scattering. Characters look really good, IMO. And this is without the HD textures installed. It really is a lovely looking game overall.
farcrynewdawn2019-2-186kxj.jpg

farcrynewdawn2019-2-16okge.jpg

farcrynewdawn2019-2-1gmj6y.jpg

OP
OP
Eleriu

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm slowly making my way through the game. So far I am enjoying myself. I mostly just want to wander around and take in all the beautiful floral sights though instead of actually progressing.

Solid Shake

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah I don't understand how they keep doing this.

I guess they sell well enough that in their minds if it isn't broken don't fix it.

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
Just started and.. I'm doing story missions and just getting obliterated right out of the gate. Get off the 4 wheeler, take out guys, when I get back on more are already pulling up. Are you guys just.. ignoring them or what?? Also on the first story mission, once I got to the place that had the kidnapped guy. I was just absolutely getting destroyed.. I'm guessing I need to do more side missions? Thanks!

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's really fun so far. It's balls to the wall action Far Cry style in a Mad Max world. Really glad I decided to get it

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Game is fun as hell. not a fan of the RPG elements, ruins the gunplay in my opinion more so for folks that like to snipe, should be a way to turn it off. Maybe give us a classic mode down the road. AI companion is dumb as shit. That being said i am very happy with the purchase, good buy to get me over to the Days Gone

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably gonna feel real stupid if anyone can answer this, but how do you get to the top of Prosperity? Timber is showing a bunch of materials up there, but damned if I can find a way up. I tried landing a helo, but the game considers it a different zone and warps me out of it and onto the ground.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
This is legit one of the most beautiful games I've ever seen in my life. As someone who really loves bright colors and lush vegetation, this aesthetic feels catered specifically to me.

Seven

Oct 25, 2017
Austin
Are the treasure hunt puzzles exactly the same as 5 or are the puzzles/ways you get inside at least different?

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Without spoiling things for me when does the story ramp up?

I have just got the mission to get 2 allies and improve some resources or something after collecting that main guy from the train
So far the setting seems like a real missed opportunity. Why is no one affected by the radiation?

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you still have two companions with you at once?
No. Companion system is primal-esque. One companion. Resurrection costs resources.
So far the setting seems like a real missed opportunity. Why is no one affected by the radiation?
What do you mean by "affected by radiation"? The people who are alive (with a few exceptions) were in bunkers when the nukes hit. The valley was also sheltered from direct exposure. Radiation from nukes disappears quickly.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, not sure why they went back to only allowing you to have one companion. Just makes it less fun with zero benefit to the experience.

It also seems like the game still doesn't have any sort of dynamic weather. That would have been the first thing I would have added, the base game not having it was already disappointing enough. I don't understand why Farcry games don't seen to have it anymore, Primal didn't either.

Every time I play a Farcry game I'm always reminded that exploration is always annoying because you're constantly being ambushed/harassed by enemies/animals that seemingly appear out of nowhere.

Gala

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the story and the finale was incredibad. Was laughing my ass off all the way through. Kinda suits the game though.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does the villian from far cry 5 have a decent amount of presence in the game?
New Dawn has the same minimalist approach the series has adopted since Far Cry 4, but Eden's Gate and Joseph play a pivotal role in the story, yes.

Interesting, New Dawn leans even harder into the magical realism that Far Cry 5 dabbled in. They've taken all the hedging and ambiguity of Far Cry 5 and flushed it down the drain. I mean, there is still is some ambiguity, but...
farcrynewdawn2019-2-18bkg7.jpg

Norwegian_Imposter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. Companion system is primal-esque. One companion. Resurrection costs resources.

What do you mean by "affected by radiation"? The people who are alive (with a few exceptions) were in bunkers when the nukes hit. The valley was also sheltered from direct exposure. Radiation from nukes disappears quickly.
The water though? The base you have is fully furnished and doesn't look like shit in fact it's almost hotel like.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What do you mean? The nukes in Far Cry 5 were very likely airburst missiles. They detonate above the ground, and there's an initial flash of radiation. But it very quickly dissipates. Air bursting was created in part because it would allow occupying troops to invade fairly quickly after the blast. Even if the weren't airburst, and they detonated at ground level, irradiating the shit out of the ground and water, that radiation should clear to safe levels within several years. There are some areas in the game that are radioactive, but that's to be expected.
The base you have is fully furnished and doesn't look like shit in fact it's almost hotel like.
A group of survivors settled in the building, repaired it, and made it their home. It is essentially a hotel. The logic is that the site was chosen because it was less damaged than other buildings in the area. If people are trying to build a community, they're going to choose the best location they possibly can. The site was repaired to the best of their ability, and filled with the possessions of the people living there.

Fallout has given people a really screwy idea of how nuclear war works. When you dump a bunch of nukes on a country, it doesn't turn into a barren wasteland that sits there for centuries. Within about 10-20 years the vegetation will be back, and probably more widespread than before. Nukes are nothing like power plants. They don't leach radiation long-term. Humans don't sit around in broken buildings with broken cars parked in the middle of the street like Fallout New Vegas. Humans like order. There are a lot of people who know how to place three bricks in a pyramid with mortar between them. Repeat the process and you have a wall. Do it enough times, and you have a nice little house. They're not gonna live in ramshackle structures 200 years later like Fallout. Within about 20 years, things will be back to normal. 100 years after the nukes, and they'll be a distant memory. Technologically set back, sure, but life goes on.

The survivors in New Dawn have also been set back by the Highwaymen spitefully burning the shit out of everything.

Norwegian_Imposter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What do you mean? The nukes in Far Cry 5 were very likely airburst missiles. They detonate above the ground, and there's an initial flash of radiation. But it very quickly dissipates. Air bursting was created in part because it would allow occupying troops to invade fairly quickly after the blast. Even if the weren't airburst, and they detonated at ground level, irradiating the shit out of the ground and water, that radiation should clear to safe levels within several years. There are some areas in the game that are radioactive, but that's to be expected.

A group of survivors settled in the building, repaired it, and made it their home. It is essentially a hotel. The logic is that the site was chosen because it was less damaged than other buildings in the area. If people are trying to build a community, they're going to choose the best location they possibly can. The site was repaired to the best of their ability, and filled with the possessions of the people living there.

Fallout has given people a really screwy idea of how nuclear war works. When you dump a bunch of nukes on a country, it doesn't turn into a barren wasteland that sits there for centuries. Within about 10-20 years the vegetation will be back, and probably more widespread than before. Nukes are nothing like power plants. They don't leach radiation long-term. Humans don't sit around in broken buildings with broken cars parked in the middle of the street like Fallout New Vegas. Humans like order. There are a lot of people who know how to place three bricks in a pyramid with mortar between them. Repeat the process and you have a wall. Do it enough times, and you have a nice little house. They're not gonna live in ramshackle structures 200 years later like Fallout. Within about 20 years, things will be back to normal. 100 years after the nukes, and they'll be a distant memory. Technologically set back, sure, but life goes on.

The survivors in New Dawn have also been set back by the Highwaymen spitefully burning the shit out of everything.

Ok so last gripe then. How can you explain the perfectly vertical car structures ;)

Ps I am loving the game.

Pps because that sounds super interesting. Do you have sources on the info?

warcrow

Oct 30, 2017
skimming through the pages and it appears some of you folks are enjoying this quite a bit? For those who are, what did you think of FC5? I'm trying to figure out if this is something I want, bc I am in the mood for a FC game but was mostly let down/bored with FC5 after ~10 hours.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
skimming through the pages and it appears some of you folks are enjoying this quite a bit? For those who are, what did you think of FC5? I'm trying to figure out if this is something I want, bc I am in the mood for a FC game but was mostly let down/bored with FC5 after ~10 hours.

If you didn't like FC5 much I wouldn't get this. It's basically the same thing with a smaller budget, a different colour palette and some minor gameplay improvements/additions.