• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
I am not educated enough on what net neutrality is so I don't have an opinion on it.
Imagine having to choose among Internet package "bundles" much like cable channel packages. Want your Facebook? That'll be an additional $5. Instagram? +$2. Not on the Premium Streaming package? Sorry, your Netflix streaming is limited to 480p bandwidth.

Net Neutrality helps treat Internet now like an unregulated utility, like power and water. The fight is to keep it that way.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
I am not educated enough on what net neutrality is so I don't have an opinion on it.

7PjbWQE.jpg

this is what is going around. this is what it looks like in Spain & Portugal, with no net neutrality.

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
I always like to compare it to cities selling upkeep of roads to private businesses. The internet is now used to get to stores and for business transactions, much like roads. Now imagine Target, or Ford, bid to keep up the roads. For a while they made roads that went everywhere. Then they realized that they needed some growth to make their shareholders happy. So the roads to Target are nice, while the roads to small shops and WalMart turn to crap. Or maybe everyone has access to the roads, but you get a discount, or can drive in the fast lane, if you own a Ford car. Chances are, you will eventually buy a Ford and only shop at Target.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I will never forget trying to watch Netflix with endless buffering while all of Comcast's stuff worked with no issue.

Fuck off if this is supposed to be good for anyone but the assholes at the cable companies

jokingbird

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else trying to call your representatives and finding their mailbox full? This is annoying that they don't have an unlimited voicemail box considering the size of the constituents.

Pretty sure that graphic was a pro-net neutrality image put together in 2009, not an actual service offering.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jwherrman/...tmare-scenario?utm_term=.ygr68yR3d#.icaL2xY6Q

Here are some real world examples:

Portugal

screen%20shot%202017-11-21%20at%20103429.png

Cellphone plans will be leading the way to how they will treat data. It is going to be a matter of time.

Last edited:

Dicer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's like the GOP and it's buddies are begging for some sort of revolt...they keep this shit up and they may just get it. You can only poke the bear so many times before it bites you.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else trying to call your representatives and finding their mailbox full? This is annoying that they don't have an unlimited voicemail box considering the size of the constituents.

Here are some real world examples:

Portugal

screen%20shot%202017-11-21%20at%20103429.png

Cellphone plans will be leading the way to how they will treat data. It is going to be a matter of time.

Holy crap, it actually exists already. What the hell Spain and Portugal.

avaya

Oct 25, 2017
London
Lol at people showing pics of Spain and Portugal. Both countries have MUCH cheaper broadband and mobile prices than the US with very widely available FTTH. You could not have picked a worse pair of markets to illustrate your point.

Holy crap, it actually exists already. What the hell Spain and Portugal.

Go to Vodafone's UK website. Look at Vodafone PASS.

Zero rating on mobile is allowed but it is monitored by the national regulator in each EEA market

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
Lol at people showing pics of Spain and Portugal. Both countries have MUCH cheaper broadband and mobile prices than the US with very widely available FTTH. You could not have picked a worse pair of markets to illustrate your point.

it's not about the price, it's about the lack of neutrality. that's the topic at hand here. nobody is discussing whether or not it would be cheaper with a segmented internet because that's too laughable to mention. of course it wouldn't be.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Go to Vodafone's UK website. Look at Vodafone PASS.

Zero rating on mobile is allowed but it is monitored by the national regulator in each EEA market

How do I access twitch on Portugal and Spain mobile plans?

Edit - I see, I pay 4.99 euros extra for it? Was it blocked it first came out?

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
let them charge what they want. I'm sure the market will decide what a fair price would be. If you don't like it, just don't use any internet. Vote with your wallet, and also vote conservative.

the series of tubes should be regulated by the free market just like everything else. you might like friendtube and youtube, but not want newstube or gamestube. the people should have a choice in what tubes they want to pay for because that is what America is all about. Freedom of choice.

avaya

Oct 25, 2017
London
it's not about the price, it's about the lack of neutrality. that's the topic at hand here. nobody is discussing whether or not it would be cheaper with a segmented internet because that's too laughable to mention. of course it wouldn't be.

Zero rating in the EU is allowed for mobile. It is not for fixed line broadband. Arguing against zero rating on mobile is literally asinine. Moreover it already exists in the US with T-Mobile's Binge On. The key is the FCC allowed it as long as no one service is favoured - DT allow any service to sign up for zero rating, they do not charge them. All they have to do is have the right code for the EPC.

The same thing is true in the EU. Facebook or Netflix do not pay for zero rating, the telcos elect to do it. They want to drive up mobile usage. KPN did have a deal with Spotify and the Dutch regulator banned it.

Spain and Portugal are literally some of the most pro consumer telecoms markets in the world.

Oct 25, 2017
let them charge what they want. I'm sure the market will decide what a fair price would be. If you don't like it, just don't use any internet. Vote with your wallet, and also vote conservative.

the series of tubes should be regulated by the free market just like everything else.
Had me going there for a moment, prior to the edit.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Zero rating in the EU is allowed for mobile. It is not for fixed line broadband. Arguing against zero rating on mobile is literally asinine. Moreover it already exists in the US with T-Mobile's Binge On. The key is the FCC allowed it as long as no one service is favoured - DT allow any service to sign up for zero rating, they do not charge them. All they have to do is have the right code for the EPC.

The same thing is true in the EU. Facebook or Netflix do not pay for zero rating, the telcos elect to do it. They want to drive up mobile usage. KPN did have a deal with Spotify and the Dutch regulator banned it.

Spain and Portugal are literally some of the most pro consumer telecoms markets in the world.

Huh? Isn't zero rating literally favoring one service over another?

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I'll refuse to change my AT&T plan ever again. I'll take their tails to court if they try to change things or if they try to drop my plan due to usage.

I have Unlimited Plus and use their Velocity Wifi/Internet device on the plan. Pushed over 800GB in data this month. (Xbox One X game downloads/4k content mostly) The speed only tends to drop some in the evenings (during heavy cell use), but 99% of the time I get super fast internet.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Text of FCC 'Proposal to Restore Internet Freedom' released, eradicates net neutrality rules
The proposal was announced on Tuesday, and there are few surprises in the full text beyond what Chairman Ajit Pai promised. The text spends about 230 pages of 386 citing the justification behind the order, citing court cases and guidance issued about the internet more than two decades ago, despite more than 10 times the number of people using it, and over 10,000 times the traffic volume.

The order text does note that Comcast discriminated against online video providers in the past. However, it also notes that the length of time that has passed "shines little light on its ability to do so now."

Mention of other restrictions, throttling, or prioritization by internet providers in the past are absent from the proposal and are explicitly stricken from the record by the changes made in the new order.

While the FCC claims that it has restored the 2010 ruling "with some modifications," the draft removes the FCC from enforcement of rules and conduct in any way contrary to the 2010 order. The carriers can promise whatever they like to consumers —up to and including restrictions on allowable content of any sort and price tiering —and as long as they follow through on what they promise to consumers.
The proposal also eradicates the formal complaint process. The FCC expects that complaints by consumers and businesses affected by ISP decisions will be "infrequent" and "involve relatively small amounts of harm, though the record does not allow us to estimate this magnitude."

Pai's order relies on consumers being able to shift providers should they find conduct, promises made or broken, or pricing by the ISP intolerable. The vast majority of the U.S., especially those outside of major metropolitan areas, have one broadband provider —or have to rely on one wireless carrier for service.

The FCC maintains jurisdiction over community-based broadband projects under the order —which it routinely battles against in court. But, at the same time, it claims that the new classification will "reduce the burdens" on smaller providers from reporting requirements.

The new order eradicates most of the provisions in the Title II reclassification of broadband, including the general conduct standard, the ban on paid prioritization, and the no-blocking/no-throttling rule. Also superseded are the rights of the states to enact neutrality laws —they are expressly forbidden under the order.

"We eliminate these rules for three reasons. First, the transparency rule we adopt, in combination with the state of broadband Internet access service competition and the antitrust and consumer protection laws, obviate the need for conduct rules by achieving comparable benefits at lower cost," writes the FCC. "Second, the record does not identify any legal authority to adopt conduct rules for all ISPs, and we decline to distort the market with a patchwork of non-uniform, limited-purpose rules. Third, scrutinizing closely each prior conduct rule, we find that the costs of each rule outweigh its benefits."
http://appleinsider.com/articles/17...edom-released-eradicates-net-neutrality-rules

Deregulate me if already posted

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
At this point, I think the Democrats need to make it clear to this guy that in 3 years he will be under investigation.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
7PjbWQE.jpg

this is what is going around. this is what it looks like in Spain & Portugal, with no net neutrality.

This type of shit would just make me wanna bail out of the internet altogether and just play singleplayer, offline games from 10 years ago for the rest of my life. I'd even climb up to the top of my house and stick a giant HD antenna on my roof if I had to to avoid cable companies.

I know one thing - physical Blu-Ray discs and BD-players are going to get really popular if ISPs start squeezing bandwidth lanes.

Last edited:

avaya

Oct 25, 2017
London
Huh? Isn't zero rating literally favoring one service over another?

The nefarious nature of zero rating would come from doing just that. In reality the situation is far more nuanced than people realise, especially in mobile. That is why there is some space given to regulators in each EEA market to allow certain instances. Vodafone offer what is effectively unlimited data for the vast majority of consumers (>95%) at prices starting GBP20/mth for 20GB 4G. You can also elect to buy a cheaper data bundle and top it up with zero rated streaming video (Netflix, YouTube and other services which have been enabled on Vodafone's EPC) for an additional GBP9.99. In reality when you start doing this it is cheaper for you to buy the 20GB bundle. You could not argue that Vodafone is favouring Netflix and YouTube here with a straight face. The situation is not actually clear cut in mobile at all because mobile is currently a pay per GB model for the majority of users.

If you look at emerging markets you will find that many sell individual data packages for specific services like facebook or LINE or WhatsApp. This tends to happen in markets where consumers have lower purchasing power.

However as mobile trends to unlimited data (bundle sizes are at the point where that is the next logical step) the issue of zero rating disappears instantly. Access will be sold exactly like fixed broadband on speed alone. Some markets already have this see Sweden or Finland.

Net neutrality is primarily an issue for fixed line broadband. Why? Fixed line broadband is a monopoly or duopoly in many markets, even in the EU (despite the many unbundlers), they can throttle and get away with it because consumers do not have other choices. Mobile in Europe is often a 3 or 4 player market with fierce levels of competition. Those in the EU do not need to worry about net neutrality rules being overturned, the individual national regulatory bodies tend to be exceptionally good at their jobs. US wireless is also unlikely to throttle and charge extra either because the TMUS/Sprint deal was blocked and both operators need to gain scale against Verizon and AT&T.

I actually received a press release il from an industry lobbyist today decrying that the EU is being left behind because the FCC has decided to change the rules and that the EU rules are burdensome and stifle innovation etc. Total rubbish.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017

It's related to Comcast allegedly misusing customer information to bombard the FCC comment section. Some person pointed it out on a website called Comcastroturfing and Comcast C&D'd the site almost immediately. Sounds like the FCC isn't helping investigate that. Big fucking surprise when the FCC is literally just corporate ballwashers now.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, I saw it myself, tons of comments in favor of Ajit Pai's idiot proposal, all identical, all made in the names of folks who didn't even know the ISPs (or whoever it was) were doing it.

In 2021, after we enshrine net neutrality, ban broadband caps, and force ISPs to justify any rate increase with the FCC, we need to investigate this and jail as many folks as we can.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
It's related to Comcast allegedly misusing customer information to bombard the FCC comment section. Some person pointed it out on a website called Comcastroturfing and Comcast C&D'd the site almost immediately. Sounds like the FCC isn't helping investigate that. Big fucking surprise when the FCC is literally just corporate ballwashers now.
Is there anyone Trump has put in place that isn't dumber than a rock? This would be prime evidence of collusion between the Republicans on the board and the telecom companies when this goes to court.

Collusion... there goes that word again :/

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
His proposal guarantees us nothing but guarantees ISPs almost everything.

Regulatory capture is very real.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

Imagine currently you pay for electricity to power your house. Currently you are able to run all your appliances etc via your electricity unimpeded other than paying for what you use at a nominal rate. (which is semi-neutral for the most part).

Now Instead of a flat usage rate etc. imagine on top of that you also had to pay to access each appliance. Where you would have to pay extra to access your toaster, your fridge etc.

Right now ISPs are currently imposing Data Caps like the electric company but not on a per byte basis but are capping people and charging overages NOW they want to be able to charge people to access certain content like a cable package. So they are pretty much double dipping on consumers. That's why removing net neutrality is bad.

The only brightside if this does pass is that it also raises the idea that maybe ISPs need to be regulated like electric utilities and be broken up so if this does go through this may start a battle that now ISPs should be treated like utilities. So even if we do lose this huge battle this opens the door for us to totally fuck ISPs even more by more regulation and breaking them up to opening people up to way more choices kinda like Electric companies today but with the volatility currently even if the FCC does make this happen. It could get blown away again by the next administration.

There is a lot going on with this. But honestly it shouldn't get this far and allow ISPs to be able to bundle content like cable today. Big companies like VZ, Comcast, ATT see the writing on the wall and have been unloading their less profitable lower speed internet service and acquiring media companies in preperation of being able to now bundle internet content.

wolfshirt

Oct 28, 2017
Los Angeles
Undo Obama regulation
Create jobs somehow
non-sequitur about impoverished rural america
Anti-market ideologues scaring trump voters

If he told us that ending net neutrality would also "protect our childen", too I would have won Lobbyist bingo

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Okay, so when this obviously passes in December, what is the next move? Do ISPs immediately start changing the way they do business, or do they wait for the courts to settle it again?

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So with Google/SpaceX plan to launch their satellite network in 2019/2020 wouldn't that effectively undercut Comcast/Vertizon's/ATT's ability mess with people's internet? There would finally be another provider for everyone int he country.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
So with Google/SpaceX plan to launch their satellite network in 2019/2020 wouldn't that effectively undercut Comcast/Vertizon's/ATT's ability mess with people's internet? There would finally be another provider for everyone int he country.

Pretty sure that satellite internet isn't going to replace any sort of fiber or cable networks where latency matters unless there's been some massive breakthroughs that I wasn't aware of.

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017