• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I am at the end of FFVII for the first time, and it's really a completely different experience watching these trailers having played the game.

One of the GOAT games. Very excited

Simon-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
oy9nik0.gif
Reminds me of her victory pose.

Chaserjoey

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
Heads up, this is the "white guy doing an impression of what he thinks a black guy sounds like" himself.

john-eric-bentley-8.9.jpg

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

DeSolos

Nov 14, 2017
This hits me right in the kokoro. All the memories... It's so good.

And the voice acting/localization/voice direction is so on point. Hasn't been this good since FF12. Please Square, who ever did this, give them a raise, use them always, and teach other teams how this was done.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Barret's Voice Actor is the weak link, as far as voice casting is concerned. I don't know if the character was supposed to sound like a preacher that leaped from a Blaxploitation movie from the 70's (either in the original Japanese release or Western localization), or that's the direction the casting director had given to Barret's voice actor for the Remake.

But it's making me go into fits of laughter whenever Barret appears on-screen. And I don't know if that was the intention.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
With regards to the original, Cloud couldn't be any more on point. Everything in this trailer is perfectly faithful to Cloud in FFVII. I like how they're playing up his Midgar personality about who he thinks he is.

I love how they repurposed the memorable scenes in 2015 to the game we see today. The close up of the little girl's eye from the original CG trailer now shows the reactor blowing up, and Jessie and Biggs talking about Cloud from the PSX 2015 trailer is there too. Nomura gets this shit right for people who've followed the game for over four years now.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Barret's Voice Actor is the weak link, as far as voice casting is concerned. I don't know if the character was supposed to sound like a preacher that leaped from a Blaxploitation movie from the 70's (either in the original Japanese release or Western localization), or that's the direction the casting director had given to Barret's voice actor for the Remake.

But it's making me go into fits of laughter whenever Barret appears on-screen. And I don't know if that was the intention.

English Barret is way too hammy. The Weeb Barrett has a much more subdued delivery.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

He was a Mr. T parody in the English localization.

Potentially even in Japanese too.

I think he is FF"s first black main character so he might not have aged all that well and they should've updated that a bit more.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like how people are complaining about flashy jumps in the remake of a game where a tiny young woman can suplex a several hundred meter tall mutant

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
It's like a fanboy nostalgic dream, it really seems like they are nailing this which is surprising considering how bad Square Enix has been since 2006.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Barrett is hot and thats all that matters, i dont need anyone else

gimme that sailor costume

Barrett sounds like a white guy doing an impression of what he thinks a black guy sounds like.

I'm definitely going with the Japanese dub when I play.
so youd rather listen to a japanese person voice a black character than a black person

yknow thats no different than wanting to hear a white va.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Cloud sounded good. What I've heard of Tifa so far and knowing that it is Britt Baron (one of my favorite actors from GLOW) makes me think Tifa will be good. Sephiroth is voiced by Tyler Hoechlin (they love their Superman actors for this role) so I'm guessing he'll at least be servicible. And, for me, those are the only 3 that matter.
He sounds just as bad as everyone else.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I dunno what ya'll are listening to. The voices sound great. Honestly, Jessie sounds remarkably well acted. I really like Cloud's voice in particular.

Jun 1, 2019
Barrett is hot and thats all that matters, i dont need anyone else

gimme that sailor costume

so youd rather listen to a japanese person voice a black character than a black person

yknow thats no different than wanting to hear a white va.

I'd rather listen to a voice track that is at least inoffensive to my ears rather than listen to a voice actor that's coached up to sound like a stereotype, the perfomance borders on offensive to me.......But at the same time I can also step back and not put that all on the voice actor too. TBH I've had a problem with Barrett ever since I was a kid, all of my friends and I took issue with his character but we looked past it because we had very little representation in video games back then. Barrett was written terribly and was kind of buffoon-ish, but at least he was kinda cool and had some bad ass moments so we all reluctantly embraced his character. I was hoping Square would scale back on Barrett's character a bit and make him less of a stereotype but nope. I can look past it (again) and realize he's just a product of the time ( The Mr. T comparison makes it easier to digest though, I never put 2+2 together for some reason so props Lunar Wolf for pointing that out), but I don't want to listen to his voice, it bothers me and I can't help it.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Starting to get pretty excited for this. After FF XV and KH3 I'll try to manage to my expectations, but dang if all that nostalgic music doesn't get me pumped up.

Oct 25, 2017
He was a Mr. T parody in the English localization.

Potentially even in Japanese too.

I think he is FF"s first black main character so he might not have aged all that well and they should've updated that a bit more.

This is a very good point. Although to be fair to the new VA, the original game doesn't really get into more of Barrett's serious, more mellow side until after they leave Midgar and get to Corel (which the remakes won't cover until the next game). For this entry though, hopefully his performance at least mellows out whenever we get to see Barrett act as a father to Marleen onscreen and maybe the events involving the Sector 7 plate later into the Midgar portion of the story help mellow him out a bit too?

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
lol i can't wait to see cait sith or red get one of these trailers. Making those characters work in this style is the real challenge.

bigbaldwolf86

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The music just gets me hooked back in so fast. Why isn't it March already!!!!

Nov 8, 2017
The music is so phenomenal and attention to all the details is amazing. I only completed FF7 for the first time a couple years ago so, without nostalgia glasses, it seems like this is staying true and giving us the remake deserving of the FF7 moniker. So stoked to play this, I'm only sad it's just Midgar. Hopefully it's not too long of a wait for the rest of it.