Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
XV was originally Versus XIII, which was to be the last of the games from that story initiative. They're seeing this as validation that even internally at SE, they recognize the state XV released in wasn't entirely acceptable. They're implying that the rebrand and extra time wasn't enough to escape the game system/design shortcomings from its legacy (but that they were happy to have gotten WoFF).

It's a harsh take, but I can see how it connects.
I am aware of XV's dark past. I still can't see the correlation between this and a potential release of XV's complete edition though.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
The 2nd round of DLC is being doing entirely because of fan demand.

Back around August last year Episode Ignis in December was going to be the last new story content for XV, it was because the higher ups saw the Survey from June and demand from fans at PAX, Gamescom, Japan Expo that it was greenlit for them to do a 2018 round of DLC. They are literally only doing it because of fan demand. As for this version, how is it milking? It's just an edition that includes the DLC and updates from the sound of it, not any different than any other "GOTY/Complete" edition games you see, those aren't intended for people who already have it, but for people who has yet to jump on it.

I get want you want to say, but isn't "fan demand" the same as "it sold f'n good let's sell more" and isn't this milking? If not, what else?

I will probably buy this one and play some of the new stuff to try it out, just, at the time back, it felt awkward that a singleplayer RPG like this got "events" and shit. That screamed "Gam$s as a s$rvice" to me. But if people like it, what can I say. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Nothing against that.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Right, the story was segmented away and it shouldn't have been. But would it have even slightly worked if they dumped episode ignis in the middle of that's scenario? It wouldn't have even worked if they heavily edited it. It just doesn't fit. It works as it's own episode. The problem is why does the episode exist in the first place. It'd have been much better if the story elements were covered in the main game.
Oh yeah, I completely agree. They can't jam the episode DLC's in there the way they are, I don't get why people ask for that to happen.

Bazztek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I get want you want to say, but isn't "fan demand" the same as "it sold f'n good let's sell more" and isn't this milking? If not, what else?

I will probably buy this one and play some of the new stuff to try it out, just, at the time back, it felt awkward that a singleplayer RPG like this got "events" and shit. That screamed "Gam$s as a s$rvice" to me. But if people like it, what can I say. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Nothing against that.
No, I mean actual fan demand based on surveys that fans partook in and with the devs going and meeting fans at conventions like PAX, Gamescom, Japan Expo etc to get direct feedback from them, and the entire reason they even did the survey in the first place was because of so many people writing to them in the previous written feedback to things they wanted to see.

XV already broke even and profited and SE is in a very healthy position right now, BD2 is already moving onto their new IP aiming at next gen, and inspite of that the only reason they're doing the new 2018 DLC sutff is because of fans, it wasn't going to happen otherwise. Things like an Ardyn playable episode was never planned to begin with, nor was Luna ever going ot be a playable character either, they're making them because they're things fans want to see.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
The game's battle system received several patches and character swapping was added almost a year later, after they completed the work for each character through the DLCs. What stopped Off-road Regalia from being present at launch or within the launch window? Main story cutscenes were patched in, as well as heavy modifications to Chapter 13 of the game. Before the current age of DLC, those were considered Demo>Final Build change. How is that not incomplete? I guess we're in uncharted waters now.
They talked about all of this a lot in the last months if you're actually interested, e.g. this interview:
- What were your big regrets, and what would you have liked to have done differently?

Hajime Tabata: When we finished the development of the game, we had no bandwidth left at all. Obviously after it was released you start seeing and thinking about these things - there were a few things we were looking at afterwards, looking back with hindsight, and thinking maybe we could change some things there. And there were other things we wanted to include during the development but couldn't fit in - those were quite separate things really.

The things we really wanted to include from release - but because of scheduling we couldn't - there were two of them really. The first was the off-road Regalia, and the free-driving section - that's something we really wanted in there, but unfortunately couldn't. The other thing was that transition into the second half of the game, into the linear section, we wanted to make that a lot more gradual and softer, rather than an abrupt change. Obviously the things we realised after release - that's something slightly different.

The issues we became aware of, and were concerned about, after release - there's a certain way in the story was presented. Final Fantasy 15, it's not just the main game, there's a variety of other stories and content surrounding that, and I think it was a good idea to do that - it creates a lot of entry points where people can get into the game from - but on the other hand, the people who've only played the main game, there's a feeling that you're missing out on some important part of the story. And even in the main game, the core story of the world, the mythos, it's kind of sparse and missing stuff. That's something we could have done a bit more clearly.

- It's an interesting one - I played it on day one, and I feel like I didn't play the complete thing. It's the first game I've played that's had a story patch. That's obviously not something you planned for.

Hajime Tabata: During development, we were working around the clock, putting everything we had into it and really killing ourselves to get the game made. It was a lot of effort - when we completed it and finished it, we felt like we'd put everything into it we could in the time we had, and it was the best result we could have made. When you look back on that, and think we had that limited time period, and our abilities were at a certain point - we were limited in what we could do. Now we've grown and developed as creators - we know how to do things a lot better. There's a feeling that if we do it now we'd be able to do it a lot better, which is why we've switched over to the service model. We want to continue to improve and add on to the game after release - that's the natural progression.

We made quite a lot of money off the game on day one - we made good profits off that - and we thought the best way to use that profit would be to thank the fans who'd played the game, to give back to them and use that to improve their experience. After doing a service model game, you learn a hell of a lot doing that, you realise certain things about games. It's been a rewarding experience doing it like that.

[...]

- In the final stretch, coming up to the release - I know there was a lot of pressure on getting it out on that date as it'd moved a few times - did you want to ask for another delay?

Hajime Tabata: Honestly, I didn't really think of doing it. The project had been going on for ten years at that point. Projects have a lifespan, and there's a certain limit you can take them to. You talk about limits - the team, the people making the game, they're already way beyond their limits of their stamina and capacity. If I was going to take that away - that psychological pressure - and overwrite that with a new objective and goal, that wouldn't have worked out, so that wasn't an option. There are people out there with the opinion that there's stuff we released after the game came out that should have been there in the start - that's fair enough, and I think it's a fair opinion - but there's just no way we could have done that physically.

Having said that, looking at the team we have now, one year after the game came out, we've powered up so much as game creators. We understand a lot more about the preparations and scheduling required to make things on this scale now, and there's the feeling that we're able to do so many more things. We want to take full advantage of that in the next project.

Phonomezer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The only way I would be on board with more FFXV is if they made a game based around Ardyn, set 1000 years before the current cast and fishing mini games.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

GaaS doesn't only refer to games with a multiplayer mode, any game that receives updates after launch is considered GaaS, even then, a lot of the updates were free, I'm not sure why you are using dollar signs as if they were ripping people off, hell even the price of the season pass is really low compared to the amount of content you get these days.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
No, I mean actual fan demand based on surveys that fans partook in and with the devs going and meeting fans at conventions like PAX, Gamescom, Japan Expo etc to get direct feedback from them, and the entire reason they even did the survey in the first place was because of so many people writing to them in the previous written feedback to things they wanted to see.

XV already broke even and profited and SE is in a very healthy position right now, BD2 is already moving onto their new IP aiming at next gen, and inspite of that the only reason they're doing the new 2018 DLC sutff is because of fans, it wasn't going to happen otherwise. Things like an Ardyn playable episode was never planned to begin with, nor was Luna ever going ot be a playable character either, they're making them because they're things fans want to see.

Ok, interesting.
Is the content good tho and really adds something to the game, specially the second batch?

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
The only way I would be on board with more FFXV is if they made a game based around Ardyn, set 1000 years before the current cast and fishing mini games.
Well, there's Ardyn DLC coming this year that hopefully is set in his past and not during the present time/main game, which would be super disappointing.

Bazztek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, interesting.
Is the content good tho and really adds something to the game, specially the second batch?
They havn't gone into detail yet on the 2018 batch of DLC but have said they plan on making it more focussed in them than the current Episode DLCs since they aren't spread as thin now as they were last year.

Bazztek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are the DLCs any good ?
Yeah sure, there're around 2 hours each for each episode. Gladio's is more focussed on the combat and is in a dungeon, Prompto's feels more character focussed and has an open area to mess around in, Ignis's feels more setpiece story focused and has more setpiece action sequences.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Wait a second....there is a second season pass now?

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Was talked about since September. Likely 3 pieces of DLC with the first one being about Ardyn, another one likely about Luna, and the third one we don't know yet. Hopefully they'll reveal the roadmap for this year's content soon.

The most recent comment on the 2018 content:

Bazztek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, one is Ardyn's Episode, one about Luna though not specifically confirmed in regards to her yet but heavily implied, and a mystery one.

Though I have a hunch that the three DLC will be in reference to things that were on the survey, and since the only characters with story stuff in regards to them on it were Ardyn, Luna and Cor, the third one may be about Cor. And if it is about Cor I kinda hope it's taking place in the past with his time with Regis, since we already know what he's doing in the present.

Imtehman

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
any idea when the PC version is coming? i've been holding out playing it on my ps4, the wait is been damn long

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
It really depends if you've enjoyed the base game or not, I liked them personally, they helped fleshing out the story and some characters characters a lot, I wouldn't recommend them for someone who wasn't a fan of the game or it was ok at best for him/her though.

Thanks, not a fan of the game, but I really like the story and the characters. So I will give the game a try again, and then the DLCs if I get back into it.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
No FFXV at launch is the very definition of Early Access. It was not finished they were adding patches later on to how it should have been at release after all this time.

Also comparing it to Horizon Zero Dawn is weird since that game was legit complete day one. Only patches was features like photo mode etc. Not actual content in the game that should've been in launch unlike FFXV. And the Frozen Wilds is one big expansion DLC that's it I don't see why that is a problem too.

Then again this is Koozek defending FFXV 24/7 as if you work for them from way back before it's release even time to add another to the ignore no point arguing with you.

Slow down there, cowboy.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Goddamnit era. I want one final, definitive, ultimate, royal, imperial, GOTY edition with EVERY update in existence. Is that too hard.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
all that's left is some more story added in to flesh out the main story and fix the summons or a new summoning system. The game to me has so much damn content with that season pass.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Is the game worth playing as it is right now. I've been trying to hold off while they continue to tweak it. I was going to sell my ps4 and get the Xbox version because of the xbox one x.

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
Is the game worth playing as it is right now. I've been trying to hold off while they continue to tweak it. I was going to sell my ps4 and get the Xbox version because of the xbox one x.

If you can find the Deluxe Edition at 30$, I'd say yes.
I don't like the game but you might enjoy it.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
I mean you could since the foundation of the game won't magically change fundamentally, but maybe wait just a bit to see the roadmap for the 2018 content they promised (free story updates for the main game and new DLC) - hopefully this month still. Then you could decide if you want to wait another few months to see how the first round of story updates will have turned out to be and if they are an actually substantial improvement to the narrative. The end of this year will definitely be the when all updates are done, though, and you will get the definitive experience with all the new and extended cutscenes, gameplay improvements, and the two Season Passes.

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No FFXV at launch is the very definition of Early Access. It was not finished they were adding patches later on to how it should have been at release after all this time.

Also comparing it to Horizon Zero Dawn is weird since that game was legit complete day one. Only patches was features like photo mode etc. Not actual content in the game that should've been in launch unlike FFXV. And the Frozen Wilds is one big expansion DLC that's it I don't see why that is a problem too.

Then again this is Koozek defending FFXV 24/7 as if you work for them from way back before it's release even time to add another to the ignore no point arguing with you.

Early Access games are work in progress that people test them out and give feedback so they can make further improvements to make these games as good as possible. This isn't quite the same as what FFXV is or was. It was known before it's launch that FFXV would get DLC episodes and a multiplayer mode thus the season pass, like it happens with most big games. Other features such as off road driving, playable bros are things that the team was either planning since always and couldn't deliver cause of time time constraints or included them because fans kept asking for them, which happens often with some games. Tabata and his team were from the start very clear that they want a close relationship with the fans in order to please them and make the game as enjoyable as possible.

Also, i don't think the last part is true. Koozek is not defending FFXV, he is just stating his opinion and i've seen him quite a few times saying what he doesn't like about the game.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

[Worth It At Any Price] > > > > > > > X > > [Bargain Price]

I actually bought it over again for 1X after having it for a full year on PS4 (but never finishing it). The story is clearer and the questing/hunt setup is so much more user friendly than before. If you've got room in your budget/free time/shelf for a "definitely worth a try" sort of game, this is a good choice. It's anything but perfect, but there's so much fun to be had if you do get into it.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if this will be announced the same day they announce the 2018 plans for the game.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
d028cc768c39beace71b9681ce3b05b8.gif

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
It's a shame that the whole Bahamut wing he wore was never seen in game. Totally mocking the gods and loving it.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame that the whole Bahamut wing he wore was never seen in game. Totally mocking the gods and loving it.
Bahamut wing?^^

What if it's symbolizing his love for his old and lost black Chocobo pal? :sob:
Does Ardyn's black wing represent his black chocobo?

Recall the black wing Ardyn is sometimes seen carrying. Now, consider this concept art that features Ardyn riding a black chocobo while a crowd showers praise upon him:

In particular, consider two things this concept art tells us: First, it informs us that some 2000 years ago — before the public was poisoned against him, turned on him, and killed him because of the person the "Izunia" name originally belonged to — Ardyn was glorified. Second, it tells us that he had a black chocobo.

Those things in mind, a question presents itself: Did Ardyn's executioners also execute his chocobo? Is that what Ardyn's wing represents: a lost companion?

Obviously, it's at least in part a reference to Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII, but it can still serve a function specific to this game and this character, just as so many other references throughout the game are more than Easter Egg alone.

For this fan, it's remarkable how much the notion humanizes Ardyn, who has long since lost his humanity in every sense of speaking. Sure, once one learns that he was scorned by the Crystal and the gods for helping people who were suffering, albeit in a way they didn't approve of, one is already aware that he was given a raw deal. At the least, one is aware of this in an academic sense — and for some of us, that and the lore associated with him is sufficient to make him an interesting character.

Unlike some Final Fantasy villains with unfair treatment in their backstories, we do learn that Ardyn had been doing genuinely good things before betrayal and divine indifference left him abandoned some 2000 years ago. While one may feel an inkling of a sense of injustice for him, there are ever present reminders that he has done inexcusable things to people who had nothing to do with his suffering. Even if the Starscourge is actually influencing his negativity some level, he's still very much aware of what he's doing and why. And it's extremely petty.

Without being able to apply more than just the betrayal he faced to Ardyn's past, it could be difficult to feel for him as much as one would like to. However, looking at that concept art above, as well as the piece depicting him with his arms shackled above his head … picturing him possibly having gone on a long, lonely adventure to save innocent people with just his trusted chocobo for company (maybe he's had this chocobo its whole life, or maybe he met it in the wild during the journey); doing these great things; receiving the gratitude and love of people everywhere like Oracles receive in the present; and then being betrayed by someone trusted — seeing those looks of thanks and adoration twist into repulsion and loathing; watching his beloved companion be dismembered before him; feeling helpless as he is stripped of clothing and dignity, then shackled and perhaps tortured; eventually slipping away into what should have been the release of death only to then become aware of the contamination caking his very soul, rendering it unable to find rest within the literal heart of the now contemptuous world he had tried to save; and finally finding himself back in the realm of the living that had become nothing but pain and horror to him …

Headcanon or not, fanfiction or no — it's the push needed to make Ardyn fully into a fascinating character, simultaneously pitiable and detestable. He needs this so that we can feel the compassion for him that Noctis was able to in the end.

Of course Noct is able to do it: he's the King of Light, the Chosen who will bring the Dawn. He's us as we really would like to imagine we could be. You expect him to pity the villain who has hurt him so much even if we can't — but as the player, you've probably bonded with a chocobo during your travels. For that matter, you've even bonded with a car and experienced heartache at watching it "die."

For this fan at the least, making this connection added a valuable dimension to the character.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Bahamut wing?^^

What if it's symbolizing his love for his old and lost black Chocobo pal? :sob:
Does Ardyn's black wing represent his black chocobo?

Recall the black wing Ardyn is sometimes seen carrying. Now, consider this concept art that features Ardyn riding a black chocobo while a crowd showers praise upon him:

In particular, consider two things this concept art tells us: First, it informs us that some 2000 years ago — before the public was poisoned against him, turned on him, and killed him because of the person the "Izunia" name originally belonged to — Ardyn was glorified. Second, it tells us that he had a black chocobo.

Those things in mind, a question presents itself: Did Ardyn's executioners also execute his chocobo? Is that what Ardyn's wing represents: a lost companion?

Obviously, it's at least in part a reference to Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII, but it can still serve a function specific to this game and this character, just as so many other references throughout the game are more than Easter Egg alone.

For this fan, it's remarkable how much the notion humanizes Ardyn, who has long since lost his humanity in every sense of speaking. Sure, once one learns that he was scorned by the Crystal and the gods for helping people who were suffering, albeit in a way they didn't approve of, one is already aware that he was given a raw deal. At the least, one is aware of this in an academic sense — and for some of us, that and the lore associated with him is sufficient to make him an interesting character.

Unlike some Final Fantasy villains with unfair treatment in their backstories, we do learn that Ardyn had been doing genuinely good things before betrayal and divine indifference left him abandoned some 2000 years ago. While one may feel an inkling of a sense of injustice for him, there are ever present reminders that he has done inexcusable things to people who had nothing to do with his suffering. Even if the Starscourge is actually influencing his negativity some level, he's still very much aware of what he's doing and why. And it's extremely petty.

Without being able to apply more than just the betrayal he faced to Ardyn's past, it could be difficult to feel for him as much as one would like to. However, looking at that concept art above, as well as the piece depicting him with his arms shackled above his head … picturing him possibly having gone on a long, lonely adventure to save innocent people with just his trusted chocobo for company (maybe he's had this chocobo its whole life, or maybe he met it in the wild during the journey); doing these great things; receiving the gratitude and love of people everywhere like Oracles receive in the present; and then being betrayed by someone trusted — seeing those looks of thanks and adoration twist into repulsion and loathing; watching his beloved companion be dismembered before him; feeling helpless as he is stripped of clothing and dignity, then shackled and perhaps tortured; eventually slipping away into what should have been the release of death only to then become aware of the contamination caking his very soul, rendering it unable to find rest within the literal heart of the now contemptuous world he had tried to save; and finally finding himself back in the realm of the living that had become nothing but pain and horror to him …

Headcanon or not, fanfiction or no — it's the push needed to make Ardyn fully into a fascinating character, simultaneously pitiable and detestable. He needs this so that we can feel the compassion for him that Noctis was able to in the end.

Of course Noct is able to do it: he's the King of Light, the Chosen who will bring the Dawn. He's us as we really would like to imagine we could be. You expect him to pity the villain who has hurt him so much even if we can't — but as the player, you've probably bonded with a chocobo during your travels. For that matter, you've even bonded with a car and experienced heartache at watching it "die."

For this fan at the least, making this connection added a valuable dimension to the character.

Nice theory but a reallllll stretch at this point.