• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
After the initial backlash to what he did on Cross Assault he doubled down on his shit, arguing how calling for someone to get raped is an intrinsic part of the FGC, among other stuff. He only apologized for those comments.
And don't forgot Marn and some other dude making light of the shit the very next day. It was a time to self-reflect on their bullshit and they decided it was a time to make jokes.

Oct 25, 2017
After the initial backlash to what he did on Cross Assault he doubled down on his shit, arguing how calling for someone to get raped is an intrinsic part of the FGC, among other stuff. He only apologized for those comments.

This was one of the most recent tweets that I believe Miranda has made on this subject. I think until she says anything different you might want to respect her wishes.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017

This was one of the most recent tweets that I believe Miranda has made on this subject. I think until she says anything different you might want to respect her wishes.

I'm fine with her forgiving him, but I thought when I first learned of it, and still think, that he should make a public apology for his public actions. A better one in any case.

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017

It's the same people that bring up Aris in every thread like this. Then the above tweet gets posted, and then bring his name up again when in another thread.

Oct 25, 2017
Considering what's happened recently that's not to say that Miranda hasn't changed her mind or doesn't still have some level of misgivings about her experiences with Aris, but until she says otherwise I would take what she says at face value.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

SuperYan forgiving him is a personal matter.

Doesn't change the fact he never publicly apologized for his actions and never faced any repercussions for it. And that is extremely relevant to what's currently going on in the FGC.
It's the same people that bring up Aris in every thread like this. Then the above tweet gets posted, and then bring his name up again when in another thread.
You mean it's the same people that always defend Aris.

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017

Doesn't change the fact he never publicly apologized for his actions and never faced any repercussions for it. And that is extremely relevant to what's currently going on in the FGC.

Wasnt he banned from WNF commentary?

Oct 25, 2017

Doesn't change the fact he never publicly apologized for his actions and never faced any repercussions for it.

I think the point might be that by bringing it up you're not necessarily helping, supporting or respecting Miranda's wishes.

You can have your own judgement or feelings about it and say that he hasn't done enough, but it would seem that the person who was most affected by his public actions specifically doesn't want people in her words; 'shitting' on him. So people are entitled to point that out.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wasnt he banned from WNF commentary?
Was he? What I remember is Capcom didn't do a damn thing and still kept him on the show for the rest of the week. And he has been commentating Tekken since forever.
I think the point might be that by bringing it up you're not necessarily helping, supporting or respecting Miranda's wishes.

You can have your own judgement or feelings about it and say that he hasn't done enough, but it would seem that the person who was most affected by his public actions specifically doesn't want people in her words; 'shitting' on him. So people are entitled to point that out.
Oh really? What I see is people like you trying to use Miranda as a shield so that nobody dares bring up anything negative about your fave.
Because garbage-tier behavior like Aris's doesn't permeate throughout the rest of the community? What are you confused about, exactly?

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017

Whatever happened, whatever apology was said behind closed doors, it's all kind of a moot point since he's been allowed to prop up and attract more people to the toxic elements of the fgc. Horrible stream chat behavior, derogatory jokes, and just the whole kappa bullshit culture. Aris should have been outed from the scene a long fucking time ago.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Was he? What I remember is Capcom didn't do a damn thing and still kept him on the show for the rest of the week. And he has been commentating Tekken since forever.
Aris was banned from commentary for a few weeks/months. I think it came around the same time that Marn said something really stupid about the whole situation as well, 'cause he got roped into it too.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh really? What I see is people like you trying to use Miranda as a shield so that nobody dares bring up anything negative about your fave.

Fair enough, you're entitled to that view. I would say that you've demonstrated that you don't care what Miranda thinks and there is very little else to say on the subject.

She happened to post the below tweet earlier today which I would take to mean that she has had several other unpleasant experiences. By all accounts she's a decent person and deserves far better from people. I hope you can agree with me on that.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
It's not a fucking conspiracy, it's the most prominent example of this kind of behavior not just being visible, but it literally being filmed and most of the people in that room being okay with it.

People always try to deflect this because Miranda forgave Aris but the behavior of the community around this incident is in many ways just as concerning.

Deflect, obfuscate, whine, anything but actually own up to your bullshit and fix it.

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a fucking conspiracy, it's the most prominent example of this kind of behavior not just being visible, but it literally being filmed and most of the people in that room being okay with it.

People always try to deflect this because Miranda forgave Aris but the behavior of the community around this incident is in many ways just as concerning.

Deflect, obfuscate, whine, anything but actually own up to your bullshit and fix it.
fair enough

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, an active example should have been set then that was never set.

Guess it should have been obvious, you don't show respect for someone in a fighting game until they show they can punish your bullshit. Why should it be different in real life

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
Regardless of whether you think aris should be forgiven, what he said as justification of it that in his mind removing sexual harassment from the fgc means the fgc would no longer exist as its that ingrained. That should never forget especially as it was the mindset less than 10 years ago

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I am shocked by the text in spoilers...
...and the peephole giving on the urinal...
Who knows how many people will come forward... since at least 1997, that's a lot of years.

The Turbanator

It's been probably been written already or maybe even with its own thread, but i didn't see threadmark, but i just saw a news of suspension
www.vg247.com

EVO suspends one of its organisers over accusations of paedophilia and sexual harassment

EVO organisers have moved to suspend one of their own following paedophilia and sexual harassment allegations.

but it's not suspension that's needed, it's child protection services/FBI investigation.
1997... ESPN promoted... dammit.

OP
OP
The Turbanator
Oct 25, 2017
I am shocked by the text in spoilers...
...and the peephole giving on the urinal...
Who knows how many people will come forward... since at least 1997, that's a lot of years.

The Turbanator

It's been probably been written already or maybe even with its own thread, but i didn't see threadmark, but i just saw a news of suspension
www.vg247.com

EVO suspends one of its organisers over accusations of paedophilia and sexual harassment

EVO organisers have moved to suspend one of their own following paedophilia and sexual harassment allegations.

but it's not suspension that's needed, it's child protection services/FBI investigation.
1997... ESPN promoted... dammit.
Sorry, I'm not doing a great job as OP, haha. I'll threadmark the official statement by EVO and any other important posts.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Esports team BDG also won't partake in EVO.

Hopefully a lot more players/commentators/esports teams does the same.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not. I signed up on the 29th and decided not to participate after everything that's happened. Last I saw in the tournament discord before I left, they still plan on running the tournament but they completely understand if people drop out beforehand.

How did you unregister? I signed up the other day but after all this I really don't want to take part anymore.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
How did you unregister? I signed up the other day but after all this I really don't want to take part anymore.
I don't think you can after the deadline due to how smash.gg works. The runners in the discord said that the alternative is to simply not check in during the check in period, and you won't be counted. That's basically what I have to do.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you can after the deadline due to how smash.gg works. The runners in the discord said that the alternative is to simply not check in during the check in period, and you won't be counted. That's basically what I have to do.

Yeah I just checked the discord and saw them saying the same thing. Guess I just won't check in then. Thanks.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inappropriate derail and trolling in a sensitive thread
EVO always treated the Mortal Kombat scene like absolute trash. The absolute worst was when they gave Injustice 2 Top 16 time slot to stream Tekken 7 Arcade (a game no one outside Japan/Korea had experience in) pool play instead. Especially after the previous year it gave one of the best storyline matches in the MKX grand finals.

EVO never was about celebrating fighting games but instead pandering to the various games made in Japan. Nothing of value is lost if it dies.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think they should explicitly say why they're opting out of EVO.

EVO always treated the Mortal Kombat scene like absolute trash. The absolute worst was when they gave Injustice 2 Top 16 time slot to stream Tekken 7 Arcade (a game no one outside Japan/Korea had experience in) pool play instead. Especially after the previous year it gave one of the best storyline matches in the MKX grand finals.

EVO never was about celebrating fighting games but instead pandering to the various games made in Japan. Nothing of value is lost if it dies.

What a fucking weird and repellent take. "I'm glad EVO is fucked because they didnt respect Mortal Kombat, not because its a suitable outcome for when the director of it is outed as a sexual predator" I mean the bizarre anti-Japan codicil is just icing on the shit cake that is your post

Deleted member 5593

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think they should explicitly say why they're opting out of EVO.

What a fucking weird and repellent take. "I'm glad EVO is fucked because they didnt respect Mortal Kombat, not because its a suitable outcome for when the director of it is outed as a sexual predator" I mean the bizarre anti-Japan codicil is just icing on the shit cake that is your post

Lol, good job putting words into mouth.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017

you're really gonna come into this thread to bitch about how EVO didn't treat MK with enough respect?

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious how this would have developed out if EVO was held as always in Las Vegas like the other years

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World

please don't use this thread to vent about your timeslot gripes

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
My heart goes to all the victims that had to go through something like this or similar. I'm glad all this disgusting stuff is coming to light, we are making long overdue progress. Sadly the arcade scene used to be fucking rampant with this disgusting behavior and pedophiles circling like vultures preying on little kids. Growing up in different countries as a young child, I was taught by other kids at a very very young age to always watch my back & surroundings when entering arcades in particular & watch out for pedophiles. So many common stories of other young kids getting groped/molested/raped and even kidnapped in some cases.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, good job putting words into mouth.

I just quoted you. There's no other way to read your post. It's entirely about how they deserve it for disrespecting Mortal Kombat and glorifying Japanese games. If it wasnt related to EVO it would be a total fucking non sequitur.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does Joey "Mr. Wizard" Cuellar profit from EVO? He is the president, no?

So should EVO not be disbanded/cancelled over this?

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

This is not the thread to complain about NRS getting the shaft in time slots.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017

Boo fucken hoo. What a thread to post this drivel in

MizerMan

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think this is the time (or thread) to talk how MK is treated.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017

this is not the place nor the time for this.