• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know that there are a hundred threads about these events right now, but this really deserves its own thread so that it isn't drowned out by the EVO/Wiz discussion.
Do you think you or someone could make the thread? I feel like I need to take a short break for my mental health. A lot of this stuff is starting to trigger stuff inside of me from my own abuse as a child.

DynamicSushy

Sep 7, 2019
The worse thing about these is that even at the time, literally every year, this occurs and women share their stories after every evo and every year evo would do nothing. I really hope the fgc uses this year to finally sort things out and more people share their stories
Yah, shit happened every year at EVO and pretty much every major. It was such a common occurrence that people just dealt with it. Now with everything that's happening, people are finally opening their eyes, and if they keep their focus, things can finally start to change.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
According to Crackpr0n he told very few people and firmly asked them not to speak about it openly, and James not among the people he told.

But I just wonder what about the rest of the boys Wizard harrassed
Big part of what Crackpr0n said are stuff that happened in public, this part for example:
"Valle, Watson, Ghetto D, Ingrim, MrWizard, Flipmeign, James Chen, Viscant and so many others became people I considered friends. And while people shit on each other, and we all did really stupid shit, everyone seemed like friends that cared.

So let's take a step back from here. I was born in '83. I was the baby of this group. Everyone was like 5-10 years older than me and I looked up to every single one of them. And I would try to join in and be part of the "boys talk" about sex and women and all that.

It wasn't hazing, but a lot of the old boys club would often have us do stupid shit just for a laugh, and they'd give us tokens or buy food for us if we'd be willing to do whatever stupid thing it was. Most of it was genuinely harmless. Scream something dumb really loud, shit along those lines.

Wizard was especially into this. He would pay people hundreds of tokens to do things like take off their clothes and jump in the water hazard pools for certain amounts of times. 99% of the time, it was young boys. There is only a singular instance I know of where it wasn't a young boy, and that singular instance, she was allowed to do it in the future, in whatever clothes she liked and only for a few seconds. But for all the boys (out of recollection 12-16) it was like 10-15 minutes, we HAD to be in our underwear (under the reasoning that it would be colder) and they were always challenges at the time so we couldn't prepare change of clothes, towel, or anything like that."

I doubt anyone named there didn't know about this.

As I said, talking about the in public stuff, not CrackPr0n's personal experience with MrWiz.

Edit: Never mind, James specificaly said he didn't know about it.

Last edited:

DynamicSushy

Sep 7, 2019
Unfortunately the people and place you will find the receipts and memory of all the bad deeds the FGC has done over the past 20 years is in rkappa
Kappa makes me so disappointed. From my limited time in that sub, you could tell there are some really smart people there who literally waste their time communicating with the rest of the idiots.

Oct 25, 2017

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Do you think you or someone could make the thread? I feel like I need to take a short break for my mental health. A lot of this stuff is starting to trigger stuff inside of me from my own abuse as a child.
I'm about to step out and clear my head for a bit, but when I get back in, I'll try to write one up if someone else doesn't first.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
It's great that he's taking a stand now, but it's hard to believe the OGs, who were part of the scene since the start, especially west coast side and those who are part of inner circle didn't knew, at least, as much as Watson did.
Maybe for some, but all the anecdotes James has ever shared about the early FGC suggests that he was really sheltered compared to most of his friends.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
So many people posting "I'm shocked and won't be participating at Evo" like they didn't know MrWiz was shady as fuck for years, far beyond this specific incident

better late than never

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles

David follows suit shortly after James.

David, James, Steve, and Sajam now. Who else?

How so? I have never seen a company being so fast on punishing someone after these kind of accusations. They didnt even wait for the next day to announce this at office hours

It's bizarre because regardless of what theories we have about much Evo knew about the allegations against Wiz before hand, the community is in no way served from them not acting on it as soon as possible. Responding as soon as possible was the right thing to do.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Well shit. MK11 is out at EVO entirely. I have a feeling the entire event is done.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was pretty sure Evo Online was going to be cancelled earlier today, now it feels like a 99 percent chance

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Now it's just waiting for the other games to pull out I guess. EVO is dead this year. I can't imagine it'll stay dead, but Wiz will probably have no hand in it in the future.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
MK is out? Microsoft will likely do something about KI now. Then we got Skullgirls (which thanks to Mike Z is already mired in controversy) and Them's Fightin Herds.

Just shut it all down.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Between MrWizard and D1, given they're "officials," alongside so many top-players are we getting to the point where the FBI needs to come in? There is systemic child exploitation clearly happening.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
MK is out? Microsoft will likely do something about KI now. Then we got Skullgirls (which thanks to Mike Z is already mired in controversy) and Them's Fightin Herds.

Just shut it all down.
Tbh it'd be funny if everyone pulled out except for Them's Fighting Herds and they just decide to do a stream and tourney themselves.

Oct 27, 2017

I grew up with Mike and never heard this story either. That said, despite regularly visiting that Golfland since I lived nearby, I wasn't as close to that group as he was. There were definitely some suspicious people who attended there that looked like they were preying on kids, but at the time I didn't suspect any of that group.

ZeroCDR

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely disgusting.

Good on everyone pulling out of evo so far.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Much respect to NRS for pulling MK11 from EVO Online and for Capcom pulling their involvement too.
(and of course Max, UltraDavid, James Chen, etc. - I just wasn't expecting the big companies to do so)

AMAGON

Prominent Member
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
User banned (one month): inappropriate commentary in a sensitive thread; history of similar infractions
Low Tier Gawd won

msboo001

Oct 25, 2017
I've been following this all day. FGC and Smash scene needs to burn down so they can rebuild. EVO is a posioned name, another yearly event in Las Vegas can take its place. As tired as this all makes me, it is good all of this shit is coming out in the open. 2020 is a dark year but I hope it is also a turning point.