• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
But one was brought from Force India. The other, Red Bull.

Sure, but what you have to ask yourself is why Renault would pay that amount of money for Ricciardo if they have someone of very similiar talents for way, way, way less money. It's PR. The fact that Ricciardo went to Renault was huge news, Ricciardo is one of the mmost sellable faces in F1 and a constant connection to Renault is worth endless amounts of money you would otherwise invest in Marketing. You can see in the Netflix documentary and even the F1 Youtube Channel that he is pretty much the poster child for the sport these days and that's why he was worth that kind of money for Renault.

Or maybe Cyril just wanted to stick it to Horner, that's entirely possible as well :D

Also, to be honest, I never really bought Ricciardo's "Renault is a work in progress, a new challenge, it's time for change" etc schtick, especially after seeing the "I want to win" stuff from the Netflix doc. Renault bankrolled him hard.

Yeah, it's clear that the difference in compensation between RIC and VER was a huge sticking point (and understandably so). But if he had a chance to go for Mercedes or Ferrari, I think there's no question he would have went for it even if they wouldn't have paid as much. But if you are either not going to be world champion for Red Bull or for Renault, you might as well chose the team you feel appreciated by and which pays you ridiculous amounts of money.

Haselbacher

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't watch the last couple of years.
But I am watching the Netflix docu of the last season at the moment. And now I am fired up!!!

massivekettle

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Looking forward to the new season, hopefully there is competition throughout the season

I guess we'll know for sure during qualifying on Saturday. However, Melbourne is not a proper litmus test from a chassis standpoint - Bahrain and China will provide a much more accurate pecking order.

My fear for this season is that Ferrari has truly built a rocketship and will be well clear - testing times suggest it should have a healthy buffer over everyone else, unless Red Bull and Mercedes have made serious inroads since testing ended. Red Bull is bringing forward its China upgrades to Australia, but conceded that even this package wouldn't be enough for them to overhaul Ferrari.

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017
I'm hoping some of the mid pack folks get some podiums this year. I'm a huge Hamilton fan, but I would like to see other teams on the podium.

I'm a huge Hamilton fan also. Too big if I'm honest :P But I'd love it if Renault pulled a Brawn and figured out some clever interpretation of the rules and Danny was world champion.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm a huge Hamilton fan also. Too big if I'm honest :P But I'd love it if Renault pulled a Brawn and figured out some clever interpretation of the rules and Danny was world champion.
I wouldn't mind Danny taking the championship. I just want to see teams other than Merc/Ferrari on every single podium.

Edit:
I'm really hoping for a Williams turn around. I want them to stay in F1 and become competitive again.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Does anyone expect the new front and rear wing regulations to introduce more racing this season? I hope it does!

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Leclerc will take wins off of Vettel on tracks where Ferrari are stronger.

Bottas wont take wins off of Hamilton on tracks where Mercedes are stronger.

Ferrari win 11 races and the WCC, Hamilton wins 10 races and the WDC.

I agree. And thankfully, Mercedes will finally have someone able to push Hamilton once Bottas is gone.

The guy was a complete disaster.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind Danny taking the championship. I just want to see teams other than Merc/Ferrari on every single podium.

Edit:
I'm really hoping for a Williams turn around. I want them to stay in F1 and become competitive again.

I would like to see Haas make some podium runs or Renault. Renault def has my fav lineup right now so I'm definitely rooting for them. Alfa I would like to see competitive too.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If true, Ricciardo earning almost 8 times more than Hülkenberg shows just how important image and likability really is. Those two are at pretty much the same level talentwise.

Let's not go get too ahead of ourselves here. Daniel has proved that he is a solid racer. Nico has not impressed me.

If he had, it would be him sitting in a top 6 car.

I do think Daniel decides he'd rather beat his teammate than go for race wins.

Max is near world championship material at this point. He has worked out most of his issues in the 2nd half last year.

Daniel probably knew he would get clobbered. And Renault must have given him a really nice offer.

NuMiQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Look forward to the new season. I'd love to see Hulk winning a few over Ric, considering the pay gap there.
Other than that, I still have very little clue as to how every team will actually perform on the track, even with reading all the stuff that came out of testing.
Here's to a hopefully interesting season!

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
  • Cars will no longer be scrutineered by the FIA before the race weekend. Instead, random checks by the stewards will occur and teams will self-scrutineer and sign a declaration that their car complies with the regulations.

I can forsee absolutely no issues with this. None.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
How long before the Honda engines starts exploding and someone starts blaming the red bull chassis

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
2019 RULE CHANGES
  • There are now 5 dry-weather tire compounds. From hardest to softest designated as C1 to C5 respectively. Three compounds will be selected by Pirelli ahead of the race and color coded and named as White Hard, Yellow Medium and Red Soft.
I know this change was discussed last season (maybe before), and while I see the reasoning for those new to the sport/completely unfamiliar with the different sidewall colors... I'd rather be able to look at a tire and know what actual compound it is, not just relative to those on offer for a given race.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
What do you think about the new onboard graphics?

Here is the old one:
yZzF5rK.jpg

I like them, they're less video gamey, I always disliked that blue gradient above the halo because you couldn't see the nose of the car and it layered on top of the track too. My only real complaint with the new ones is the map is too big and the thin white lines are annoying.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's better. the new one is far more clean and less cluttered.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Supporting Alpha Romeo this year. Kimi is my favorite driver and the car looks amazing.

DHC-Shannow

Oct 29, 2017
Manchester, England

Here is the old one:
yZzF5rK.jpg

I like them, they're less video gamey, I always disliked that blue gradient above the halo because you couldn't see the nose of the car and it layered on top of the track too. My only real complaint with the new ones is the map is too big and the thin white lines are annoying.

The all or nothing braking bothers me (and did with the old graphics too) but other than that a definite improvement.

Last edited:

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017
Both have a video game vibe, the new just seems a bit cleaner and flat. Not sure I like...

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully that UI is a work in progress, and doesn't have all elements active at any given time...

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Poor guys. It will be 2007 all over again, only this time Vettel/LeClerc will be like Alonso/Hamilton. Imagine having the best car, yet losing the title.

I was hoping a 2007 but with Vettel in Kimi's role. We'll see. Ferrari is looking good, and I'd be surprised if Vettel bottled 2 years in a row. We shall see. I think Leclerc is an incredible talent, but I doubt he'll put Vettel's title chances in jeopardy from the getgo.

Vegeto

Oct 26, 2017
Frankfurt
Mercedes might not have the best car in the first races, but I am sure they will have by mid of the season. Lewis will win the title again. I wish Seb would finally be a champion again, but I don't believe in Ferrari and to be honest I think Leclerc will here and there a few points from him.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Here is the old one:
yZzF5rK.jpg

Utter trash.
The only thing they got right is putting the speed below the Halo.

Everything else GARBAGE!!!
Heavy Braking FLASH?!?!
MAX SPEED FLASH!?!?! - But still accelerating?!?!
The Turn Indicator and Map and random white line borders?
Who is all this shit for!?!

The F1 Season Launch special is on. Why am I watching this?

To see people dying inside.

Some choice quotes from 2019 Drive to Survive Documentary episode 1

Nico Hulkenburg -: Ive never regretted becoming an F1 driver...but I think its time to move on

Lewis Hamilton -: It was great to meet the fans before the season, sharing the love, I feel so blessed.......(Mic still live) What the fuck are we doing here?

Kimi Raikonen -: I was drunk so it was OK.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some choice quotes from 2019 Drive to Survive Documentary episode 1

Nico Hulkenburg -: Ive never regretted becoming an F1 driver...but I think its time to move on

Lewis Hamilton -: It was great to meet the fans before the season, sharing the love, I feel so blessed.......(Mic still live) What the fuck are we doing here?

Kimi Raikonen -: I was drunk so it was OK.

Okay, now I need to watch this.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
I've never been interested in F1 before. But in the last few days I saw RUSH ( excellent movie) then I binge watched F1 drive to survive now I am fully invested in the sport.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Okay, now I need to watch this.
You really do. I was watching Rush the other day (a movie so good even my wife loves it), and i kind of had the realization that you know what? Nothing really much had changed about the character of the drivers and teams. Massive egos, massive spectacles, massive politics and oh yeah there's some racing too. I cannot think of a single other sport that basically has changed so little. You get more sound bites and shit being flung in one F1 documentary then you get in the entirety of inside baseballs and the American football one, whatever it's called. I guess when someone knows they can die at any moment in that track, you're not exactly going to hold anything in. Because you may never get a chance to say it. Another one of my favourits

Gunther Steiner (team principal HAAS): Maybe Grosjean didn't come to the party because he knows he doesn't deserve food

Status
Not open for further replies.