• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
LOL I love Cyril being unable to contain his grin during the Ricciardo reveal conference against Horner. How have I not seen this one before, nice job Netflix.

Although, Netflix tryna make him look like the bad guy but I'm rooting for him all the way.

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019
Yep, the unfortunate consequence of the format is you gotta give a narrative. I'll probably still watch S2 though (now with more Toto!).

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019
Wasn't the Netflix crew in their garage Germany weekend? Mercedes is not gonna have any screentime if their only race is full of banned content.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Ended up watching the whole season of Drive to Survive and that was actually surprisingly good.

Didn't like them overly focusing and being biased towards certain drivers and teams (Ricciardo and Haas).

I also always cringe when F1 proponents focus on the "risk" component in F1 in an attempt to legitimise it as a premier sport, and the show did that way too much.

I think in general though the narratives weren't really too overdone and actually usually seemed a fair representation. I think it's definitely going to make me pay attention to midfield rivalries more in the future and I'm quite looking forward to series 2.

As much as it'll be cool to have the championship rivalry be forefront this time, I wonder how open Mercedes and especially Ferrari are going to let their drivers and team members be though, as I see them having a much tighter leash on their PR.

Best bits were obviously Cyril and Horner sniping at each other.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can only assume that Hamilton not being given a knighthood at this point is to avoid the risk of embarrassment of another high profile black person rejecting the honour.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I often wonder why Murray Walker wasn't knighted for services to Motorsport. He was the voice of F1 for so long and seems like a genuinely decent human being, something that can't be said about many others who've been knighted.

DJMicLuv

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I often wonder why Murray Walker wasn't knighted for services to Motorsport. He was the voice of F1 for so long and seems like a genuinely decent human being, something that can't be said about many others who've been knighted.

Definitely. He was the voice I associated with F1 for all my childhood and teen years. His Murrayisms were classic and the drivers had a lovely relationship with him. He'd seen it all first-hand from day one and that sort of amount of experience can't be bought or faked. As you say he also seems like a sweetheart. He needs a 'Sir' while he's still around to appreciate it. God bless Murray Walker.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Honestly Martin Brundle has well surpassed Murray Walker as a commentator. No one's more the "voice of F1" more than him for me.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Its ok to be so utterly wrong from time to time :p

It seems few people remember Murray's first race commentary was in 1948...

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
And that stat relates to the quality of said commentary, how exactly?
Most people in here probably aren't able to draw conclusions on his entire body of work, but rather only a tiny subset of it. And the quality of his commentary just before he retired obviously isn't representative of the quality of his career.

It would be like somebody who only saw Schumacher when he drove for Mercedes calling him the most overrated driver of all time.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind a commentator getting shouty, but Croft's voice and tone can't pull it off, it's just a brutal assault on the eardrums. He's fucking awful, I'd honestly rather listen to Legard than that fourth rate darts commentator.

Sky need to poach Nichols and Palmer from 5Live.

Red Bull passed crash tests and 2020 engine installed and running on chassis dyno. Newey and his team now just need to match what Asaki did on the engine side and surpass the Mercedes chassis.

024gj9z.jpeg

:bow

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
And that stat relates to the quality of said commentary, how exactly?

We were talking about "the voice of F1" - whose parameters clearly indicate an individual who is synonymous with the sport. Until around 10 years ago he was commentating on a sport that was literally in existence in parallel with his career. Was it that hard to comprehend?

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
We were talking about "the voice of F1" - whose parameters clearly indicate an individual who is synonymous with the sport. Until around 10 years ago he was commentating on a sport that was literally in existence in parallel with his career. Was it that hard to comprehend?

Well as someone who only watched a few of his seasons and is not emotionally invested/attached to him, I can tell you that watching his races I just wished he would be quiet so Brundle could actually say something of substance.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind a commentator getting shouty, but Croft's voice and tone can't pull it off, it's just a brutal assault on the eardrums. He's fucking awful, I'd honestly rather listen to Legard than that fourth rate darts commentator.

Sky need to poach Nichols and Palmer from 5Live.

For what it's worth, I like Croft and the rest of the Sky crew. New to the sport, but I find his announcing to be solid and entertaining.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't mind a commentator getting shouty, but Croft's voice and tone can't pull it off, it's just a brutal assault on the eardrums.
For once I find myself in agreement with you. I watch the Channel 4 feed so every time I watch one of the videos in the F1 YouTube channel I have to literally turn the sound down, his fucking voice goes right through me.
Even If I didn't work most race weekends I wouldn't pay for Sky's live coverage as there's no way I can sit through an hour and a half of that.
I still pine for that one glorious year of the Brundle/DC combo.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Well as someone who only watched a few of his seasons and is not emotionally invested/attached to him, I can tell you that watching his races I just wished he would be quiet so Brundle could actually say something of substance.

Given that this is still an issue now with Crofty and before with James Allen, I'd say that's not all down to Murray, who was doing his job as the play-by-play guy.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
F1 TV audience crashes by 8.6m viewers following switch to exclusive Sky Sports coverage

If anything kills F1 it'll be this, nothing else. What a shambles.

With Hamilton dominating I imagine F1 viewership in the UK would have been as high as ever if it was on BBC.

Don't really get the hate that Crofty gets. We've lived in a world when Jonathan bloody Legard was commentator.

Don't get it either tbh. People just like to hate I guess (and ridicule the occasional mistake, as seen above).

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Di Resta is the new Brundle. The former hates "Hamilton" like the latter "hated" Schumacher.

Here in Italy we had Mazzoni ( Rai ) for many years but now we have Vanzini ( Sky Sport ). Mazzoni was much better...

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
The SSF1 crew and production gets a lot of misdirected hate which is actually aimed at the paywall. I think they do a great job.

I agree. And people are quick to forget that the road to Sky getting the exclusive rights started when the BBC binned their deal when they decided it wasn't as important as Wimbledon or Match Of The Day.

I remember the same tired arguements being said about top division football going to Sky in 1992 when the Premiership was created. That worked out pretty well, I think.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I agree. And people are quick to forget that the road to Sky getting the exclusive rights started when the BBC binned their deal when they decided it wasn't as important as Wimbledon or Match Of The Day.

I remember the same tired arguements being said about top division football going to Sky in 1992 when the Premiership was created. That worked out pretty well, I think.

F1 is in no way comparable to football lol

And the fact the BBC (rightly) decided Match of the Day and Wimbledon are more important is just another illustration of that.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017

For who

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly Martin Brundle has well surpassed Murray Walker as a commentator. No one's more the "voice of F1" more than him for me.
Brundle is a co commentator with a different role to that of the main commentator. Both important parts of the comm team but also both with jobs as different as the jack man and the wheel gun guy.

I'm not a huge fan of Croft if I'm honest.

Listening to the podcast with Walker only cemented that fact. He is the voice of F1 for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.