• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I am glad I didnt buy the F1 package. There is no reason to watch the races anymore other than tradition. Hamilton is an absolute monster of a driver, but if you give him a car with no competition, then it will always be the same. Redbull is worst than last year, Williams is a joke, McLaren is a waste, and the rest are just there to create a sense of competition.
I know F1 has always have dominant cars and drivers, but there is nothing unpredictable like in the past, no Pastor Maldonado winning, or a Rookie Vettel, Hamilton winning.
I'll keep watching as always, but damn is becoming a borefest.

kasane

Oct 30, 2017
Not back then.

It was basically a rule change to stop the Schumacher-Ferrari domination.
If Mosley was still FIA president there would be snipers shooting Hamilton's tyres by this point,
They literally fucked them in 2005 because their car was designed for quick stints since Schumacher can pump out quali laps lap after lap. The rule was so stupid it was abolished the very next year

Also by 2007 tyre wars was gone since bridgestone became the sole supplier of F1

As much as most of the things went right in Schumachers career, if everything ABSOLUTELY did he would be a double digit world champion. Fucking ridiculous

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
I am glad I didnt buy the F1 package. There is no reason to watch the races anymore other than tradition. Hamilton is an absolute monster of a driver, but if you give him a car with no competition, then it will always be the same.

I'm a big Hamilton fan, and I've said this before, but it is a shame seeing him driving away at the front of a race. I think he's the best overtaker in F1 history, so I'd prefer it if they were closer and he was starting 4th or 5th. That's when he really shows he's a cut above the rest.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I'm a big Hamilton fan, and I've said this before, but it is a shame seeing him driving away at the front of a race. I think he's the best overtaker in F1 history, so I'd prefer it if they were closer and he was starting 4th or 5th. That's when he really shows he's a cut above the rest.

I think even with more comparable cars, Hamilton would still win. He has a tremendous talent, and having no teams to give him a real challenge will only make some people say he was not that great, but just had a better car.

kasane

Oct 30, 2017
I think even with more comparable cars, Hamilton would still win. He has a tremendous talent, and having no teams to give him a real challenge will only make some people say he was not that great, but just had a better car.
Schumacher already experienced that, people saying he had no competition. Maybe he was just THAT much better than other people plus the combination of staff that willingly followed him on Ferrari.

Fredo

Oct 30, 2017
Hamilton went into constant hammer time. He has now reached the hammer zone. It's not clear who can prevent him from winning the championship.

kasane

Oct 30, 2017
Pray that Hamilton sprays champagne on Putin again and the russian snipers go to work.

Knowing Hamilton thought it will somehow help him in some wau. #Blessed 🙏

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to see Hamilton beat Vettel / Schumacher's record of 13 wins in a season and Vettel's 9 wins a row if he's going to dominate a season. But the long straights and slow corners in Baku makes me think Ferrari should be closer to them at that race.

Overdoziz

Oct 26, 2017
I am glad I didnt buy the F1 package. There is no reason to watch the races anymore other than tradition. Hamilton is an absolute monster of a driver, but if you give him a car with no competition, then it will always be the same. Redbull is worst than last year, Williams is a joke, McLaren is a waste, and the rest are just there to create a sense of competition.
I know F1 has always have dominant cars and drivers, but there is nothing unpredictable like in the past, no Pastor Maldonado winning, or a Rookie Vettel, Hamilton winning.
I'll keep watching as always, but damn is becoming a borefest.
We gonna pretend last race didn't happen?
Bahrain was amazing.

Sylmaron

Oct 28, 2017
I'd like to see Hamilton beat Vettel / Schumacher's record of 13 wins in a season and Vettel's 9 wins a row if he's going to dominate a season. But the long straights and slow corners in Baku makes me think Ferrari should be closer to them at that race.
That would be even more boring. Even Alain Prost looked pretty bored when waving the flag. Hopefully more of a race in Baku.

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
If you're going to dominate you may as well do it completely like Vettel did in his Red Bull peak. I still think everyone is overreacting, China is usually dull if there isn't a safety car and Mercedes were well beaten in Bahrain until LeClerc had engine problems.

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
If you're going to dominate you may as well do it completely like Vettel did in his Red Bull peak. I still think everyone is overreacting, China is usually dull if there isn't a safety car and Mercedes were well beaten in Bahrain until LeClerc had engine problem

kasane

Oct 30, 2017
Im really hoping Bott
That would be even more boring. Even Alain Prost looked pretty bored when waving the flag. Hopefully more of a race in Baku.
He looked bored cause his teams fucking car is shit, i cannot believe he was saying their engine is almost mercedes levels and he even said " nobody can deny that, thats a fact ".

Sylmaron

Oct 28, 2017
Im really hoping Bott

He looked bored cause his teams fucking car is shit, i cannot believe he was saying their engine is almost mercedes levels and he even said " nobody can deny that, thats a fact ".
Maybe a combination of both. It's true Renault has a major reliability problem and that is already becoming an image problem which is even a bigger problem if you're selling cars with the same name.

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I love about people that watch F1 (it's unclear whether to call some of them fans or not because all they seem to do is gripe about the sport) is that their views change by race. After Bahrain, 2019 was shaping up to be one of the best seasons ever. After China, this is shaping up to be one of the worst years of the turbo hybrid era.

And after each race, we always get folks saying this is the last race they're going to watch and they're done with F1. To which I say, good, see you later (you'll be back in two weeks of course).

This is an awesome sport that, by the way, has often been this way, by which I mean "boring" with not a whole lot of overtaking. Last year I watched through a bunch of races from the 90s, and a few years back rewatched every race from 2007 to today. Generally speaking, it's long been the case that a) there's not a whole lot of overtaking and b) there are OP drivers and teams that dominate which leads to "boring" championships. You don't have to go back too far before the start of this season to find multiple seasons where Brundle hopes out loud that new regulations will lead to a more competitive field.

I think these regulations are great. You know what's shit? Refuelling. You know what looks like absolute garbage? Grooved tires. You know who was a crap commentator? James Allen. 2000s races are about 10% less watchable because Allen won't stop saying the fast cars are "scything" through the pack. You know what looks awesome now? The cars, and the presentation. And this field of drivers is probably the most talented we've had in ages and ages. Go look at 2009 for instance to see a long list of scrubs that somehow were blessed enough to get a seat.

The only thing F1 needs more of is bad weather. I don't know how you get that aside from luck (there have been one or two seasons that have had a ton of rainy races and it was awesome -- wasn't 2009 one, and 2008 was also bad from memory, Spa being the stand-out). Last year wasn't rainy at all and this year's been bad so far. We need it to fucken bucket down at some of these circuits for some good times.

Endrix

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2018
The only thing F1 needs more of is bad weather. I don't know how you get that aside from luck (there have been one or two seasons that have had a ton of rainy races and it was awesome -- wasn't 2009 one, and 2008 was also bad from memory, Spa being the stand-out). Last year wasn't rainy at all and this year's been bad so far. We need it to fucken bucket down at some of these circuits for some good times.

I'm not sure it's a good idea, because they often delay or stop the races altogether with rain, but it's quite easy. Do the races in countries where it rains a lot at the time of the race.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Not reading the thread because I'm watching on catchup, but I just have to highlight Brundle saying "Really a complete mirror image but in reverse". He didn't think that one through!

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
The cars looked better in the late 80s, early 90s and as dangerous as it was, it was at least far more exciting on the track.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
One thing I love about people that watch F1 (it's unclear whether to call some of them fans or not because all they seem to do is gripe about the sport) is that their views change by race. After Bahrain, 2019 was shaping up to be one of the best seasons ever. After China, this is shaping up to be one of the worst years of the turbo hybrid era.

And after each race, we always get folks saying this is the last race they're going to watch and they're done with F1. To which I say, good, see you later (you'll be back in two weeks of course).

The knee-jerk reactions will never stop.

I remember seeing after Australia a tonne of "lol good job Ferrari gave Merceses easy title season over". After one race.

Can't help but feel Verstappen would dominate Hamilton in the same car.

Really, and have you forgotten he matched Alonso in his rookie year?

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure China used to be a good track at one point as there used to battle through the t1 complex unless I'm thinking of a different circuit. I still enjoy qualifying though and like it more than most races.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
I'm sure China used to be a good track at one point as there used to battle through the t1 complex unless I'm thinking of a different circuit. I still enjoy qualifying though and like it more than most races.
Malaysia had a very similar opening complex and was also a better circuit overall.

China is an okay track, but it's poor in comparison.

Ty4on

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
At least we have a race to point to next time someone asks why we don't have two mandatory pit stops.

We got to see some of the cars' pace too. RBR look like they're still a step behind Ferrari from the very weak first stint and Verstappen was only able to get ahead of Lec and fight Vettel thanks to the undercut. Gasly still way behind Verstappen, but also quite a bit faster than F1.5 when not stuck behind them.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Malaysia had a very similar opening complex and was also a better circuit overall.

China is an okay track, but it's poor in comparison.

Yeah was probably Malaysia. I was thinking Shanghai would be a far better circuit without the final corner and that's exactly what Malaysia is. Without the final corner VET, VES would have gone into t1 side by side.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
Glad I went to sleep. F1 decided to celebrate their 1000th race with a parade. Also, Ferrari need to stop shitting on Charles. It's fucked up.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Just now finding out that the Nismo TV Super GT coverage is no longer a thing this year :(

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watching the Indycar this weekend, and I think Long Beach would be one of the few street circuits I'd be more than happy for F1 to return to on the calendar.

GravisMors

Oct 29, 2017
Glad I didn't stay up for that snoozefest.

Those rule changes can't come fast enough, this is the F1 I left years ago and came back to same mess...sigh. (it's always been like this I'm just bored with merc always being on top)

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Can't help but feel Verstappen would dominate Hamilton in the same car.

I like Verstappen. But people really need to stop thinking Hamilton would get smashed by any of the new guys.

Hamilton is an exceptional driver. Like sure Max got the headlines with his Brazil 2016 drive. But Hamilton drove as well if not better that race in front.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Ehh... I've stopped watching live, and I've been an F1 fan for more than a quarter of a century.

Ferrari can't outdevelop Mercedes, so we're now looking at possibly their most dominant season ever.

Deadman

Oct 29, 2017
The team that has won both titles for 5 years in a row has started this season with three 1-2 victories.

It's not an overreaction to expect them to cruise to a 6th title.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
If a driver like Rosberg can beat Hamilton with the same equipment then Verstappen would give him a proper run for his money.

Let's put it this way. Sure I think Verstappen would be able to beat Hamilton in a race when given the same equipment, probably even a couple races. But to beat him consistently over a season is a whole other ballpark.

Rosberg has gone on record saying the incredible mental toll it took on him to beat Hamilton. Litterally to the point of "I need to lose another kilogram on my legs so I can gain 3 hundreds of a second". And Rosberg himself is a very good driver. But that championship nearly destroyed him mentally, and then he still needed things like Malaysia to go his way.

A championship isn't just won on raw pace, but also consistency and mental fortitude. Verstappen has the potential 100%, so has LeClerc. But at the moment I don't think he's there yet. He's had a very good start of the year though and I hope he keeps this up.

Endrix

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2018
The team that has won both titles for 5 years in a row has started this season with three 1-2 victories.

It's not an overreaction to expect them to cruise to a 6th title.

I would agree with you just looking at the scores, and I fully expect Merc to win this year, but I do think the 'cruise' is an overreaction. Of the 3 races, 1 was completely dominated by a Ferrari driver from practice until a few laps before the finish line. He broke down, yes, but it's too soon to say if that was a sign of things to come or just a fluke.

Status
Not open for further replies.