Votes: 42 38.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Look, I'm not saying Las Vegas is a great place to go racing. I'd prefer them to go back to Indy instead of having another street circuit. But I was more pushing back against the complaints about the US getting another race.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about it a bit, they should just get rid of COTA if this new Vegas track is good. Unless they do the work to actually fix it up, id rather just see a new track.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about it a bit, they should just get rid of COTA if this new Vegas track is good. Unless they do the work to actually fix it up, id rather just see a new track.
COTA is the one chance the US has to see F1 in a purpose built circuit that also serves other race events/series is the ideal. Getting rid of it for a Street Circuit that only exists 1 time in the year is a massive downgrade. I have had great times at COTA, for both F1 and Indy.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Someone on Reddit put this together trying to figure out how the layout would work. Thats one long straight.

vzjivj9yfnq81.png

COTA is the one chance the US has to see F1 in a purpose built circuit that also serves other race events/series is the ideal. Getting rid of it for a Street Circuit that only exists 1 time in the year is a massive downgrade. I have had great times at COTA, for both F1 and Indy.
I like the track layout, but last year it looked like it was in need of a full resurfacing to smooth out all the bumps. Isnt the ground there sinking or something?

prateeko

Oct 26, 2017
Did anyone ever play PGR? That's all I can think about when I hear nighttime (obviously, why daytime) Vegas Race. It'll make for some great clips/still pictures, but I wonder how the actual racing will be?

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
I'm not totally against a third USA GP but I would like a more rounded WC. I kinda get why they like to - to grow the sport and America is huge so more people would get to see it but I thought perhaps a West coast race and a East coast race suffice.

Just think that Asia and Africa are really under represented and it be good to see more races there. Think they could easily drop a couple of European races and nothing will be missed.

I would like to see something like this (not in calendar order obvs).

1. Australia

Heritage races: (European leg)

2. Britain
3. Italy
4. Germany
5. France
6. Belgium
7. Spain

8. European GP

America's leg

9. Canada
10. USA (W)
11. USA (E)
12. Mexico
13. Brazil

14. America's GP

Asia leg

15 . Japan
16. Thailand/Indonesia
17. Malaysia
18. Singapore
19. China
20. India
21. Asian GP

22. Bahrain
23. Abu Dhabi

24. South Africa

Could maybe take out one of the Asia races towards another African race.

Would also like to see host countries rotate their races if possible. Perhaps silverstone one year, Donnington the following. Susaka one year, Fuji the next. Melbourne/Adelaide etc etc. Also like to see the European Grand Prix/Pacific to return. Make it a triple crown event (European, America's and Asia) with its own trophy. And again make it so that countries can apply to host the event for that year. Means countries like Finland, Vietnam etc could get in the calender now and again.

Havn't thought about this a lot. Honestly 😂

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Seems alil weird to see Audi partnering with Mclaren, but I dont see any other team that would be a better fit. Porche and RBR seems like a great fit though.

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Odd to me that VAG would let both of them do it rather than just the one,

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
Seems alil weird to see Audi partnering with Mclaren, but I dont see any other team that would be a better fit.

On the one hand, I'd really rather that they come in as a new team. But on the other, seems like Merc is supplying engines for too many teams- nice to see some diversity there.

Thanks for the summary. I was reading the OP and saw there were big changes to the car this year. Hopefully Mercedes pulls it together, though I do like hat Leclerc is doing well.

Shift+F1 did a season primer that you might find useful (apologies if this was linked earlier in the thread).

Last edited:

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder what the corner rooms will go for at the Cosmo. I usually stay there, and it's reasonable enough, but I'd be surprised if it's less than £1k a night on race weekend. I feel for anyone that gets the wrong side of the building. lol
I wonder if they will be closing off the rooftop area where the ice rink is in the winter. That has a great and easy view of the strip. Maybe they will charge to stand up there or something

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
This sounds like gatekeeping to me. The United States has a tradition of motorsport as well. And I think people tend to forget just how big the US is - the US is roughly the size of Europe in its entirety. How many European races are there? Given that the US is F1's fastest growing market, I think it's completely reasonable for there to be multiple races here.

They also have 1/3rd the TV audience of even just the UK, and while Texas was the most attended race weekend it was only just ahead of Silverstone and that's because Silverstone is at capacity.

There is possibly justification for a 2nd US race, although the fanbase doesn't yet support it even with a Drive to Survive bubble but 3 is insane when it'll be at the direct cost of a country with many times the F1 fanbase and many decades longer an F1 tradition losing a race entirely. But that's the current owners I guess.

Italy shouldn't have 2, much less this 3rd one wherever that's supposed to be either mind. And Monaco should probably be considered the French GP if we have to keep it.

Seems alil weird to see Audi partnering with Mclaren, but I dont see any other team that would be a better fit. Porche and RBR seems like a great fit though.

Presumably "Porsche" would be supplying both Red Bull teams but what's interesting here is if Audi does in this world come in as a partner/owner to McLaren they will be obligated to also supply someone else if asked. And potentially a 3rd depending on where the others goes and if Andretti comes in as a new team.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
I was just reading that the Vegas night race is going to be run at 10pm local. Lolwut? Literally not a good time for anyone to watch it.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
The US has the best attended race, and is the fastest growing market for F1, but the fan base isn't actually there to support a second race. Lol yeah, sure. Ok pal.

The US has a tiny fanbase compared to most of the countries that 2nd and 3rd race would be at the expense of.

You are essentially arguing a country where less than 1 million and 0.3% watch each televised race, and that's probably a bubble figure, deserves 3 races at the expense of a single race somewhere where 3 million and 5% watch them.

Of course none of these decisions are made by any of these metrics, no matter how either of us want to read them. Las Vegas turned up with a very large pile of money just as Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, Baku, Singapore and several more did and all of that is what you get when you sell a sport to venture capitalists.

Last edited:

Waveset

Oct 30, 2017
Glad to see the back of Paul Ricard. And I love Monaco, its a weird anomaly in the calendar and it needs to stay if only for varieties sake, but it normally gives us a story as well.

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The US has a tiny fanbase compared to most of the countries that 2nd and 3rd race would be at the expense of.

You are essentially arguing a country where less than 1 million and 0.3% watch each televised race, and that's probably a bubble figure, deserves 3 races at the expense of a single race somewhere where 3 million and 5% watch them.

Of course none of these decisions are made by any of these metrics, no matter how either of us want to read them. Las Vegas turned up with a very large pile of money just as Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, Baku, Singapore and several more did and all of that is what you get when you sell a sport to venture capitalists.
You act like where races are held is a zero-sum game when it absolutely is not. Liberty and FOM couldn't care less about where the races are held, so long as they make as much money as possible. Races in the US aren't at the expense of races anywhere else. It's not like Liberty are flipping a coin trying to decide between Las Vegas and Hockenheim. If Hockenheim had enough cash to keep having the race, they would have it. But the fact is, they don't have the money, so there currently isn't a race at that circuit. That's all there is to it. Fairness, or some notion of motorsport tradition, or whatever, has absolutely nothing to do with any of this.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
The Vegas race is going to be spectacular, I have no doubt about it.

Too many US races? Welcome to modern Liberty F1, I guess. US fanbase may be relatively tiny now but it is *highly* exploitable (and also growing pretty damn quickly).

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to when I can walk into my local Target or Walmart and buy a Ferrari, Mercedes, or Red Bull hat :P

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Oh now that would be cool. Maybe they wouldn't cost sixty fucking dollars, too!

I have bought two sixty dollar Ferrari hats because I love Ferrari and I'm a sucker
Actually thinking about it I've lived in Nascar central before and never saw any of that merch there so maybe I'm getting my hopes up.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
The US has the best attended race, and is the fastest growing market for F1, but the fan base isn't actually there to support a second race. Lol yeah, sure. Ok pal.

Something tiny can be growing very quickly and still be tiny.

The US is a huge potential market, so I can see why FOM want to cater to it, but they are really putting the cart before the horse by announcing a 3rd race before the 2nd race has even been run for the first time.

You act like where races are held is a zero-sum game when it absolutely is not. Liberty and FOM couldn't care less about where the races are held, so long as they make as much money as possible. Races in the US aren't at the expense of races anywhere else.

Vegas is literally coming at the expense of races elsewhere. There is a limit to the number of races that can be run in a season, for both practical and contractual reasons.

If Vegas is run instead of Monaco or Paul Ricard then that's a huge win, but if it's run instead of Spa that will be a crime against motorsport.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Something tiny can be growing very quickly and still be tiny.

The US is a huge potential market, so I can see why FOM want to cater to it, but they are really putting the cart before the horse by announcing a 3rd race before the 2nd race has even been run for the first time.

Vegas is literally coming at the expense of races elsewhere. There is a limit to the number of races that can be run in a season, for both practical and contractual reasons.

If Vegas is run instead of Monaco or Paul Ricard then that's a huge win, but if it's run instead of Spa that will be a crime against motorsport.
I'd argue that the main problem is not street tracks like Vegas or the Miami GP and more having races in places like Jeddah.

Overdoziz

Oct 26, 2017
Since when do we determine where we race solely on the fanbase size (potential) anyway? Can't imagine there's a bunch of F1 fans in the middle east.

Oct 25, 2017
People say Monaco is in danger because it doesn't have a contract but I get the feeling F1 will be happy to keep them around without all the special arrangements they had compared to all the other venues.
Spa is always the one at risk but from what I get it's proximity to the Netherlands is going to save it for the time being.
It sounds like Paul Ricard will be the one to pay the price here.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I have just the thing for you. During the 2020 quarantine, F1 started to show some old races on YouTube and, without that much else to do, I decided to start watching old seasons, from 1993 onwards. Don't really know why I choosed that year, maybe my memories from that season, Senna at his peak, last Prost season, Schumacher starting to show, anyways.

Not all races from older seasons are available in F1TV rigth now, so the ones that are not there were provided by a famous megatorrent that lists every race from 1978 onwards. Every single one of them (if you are interested, send me a message). I have marked races that I'm sure are available at F1TV with italic (plus, some more could be available after all this time).

The following list goes from 1993 to 2009 and it's very personal: some races I liked to rewatch after all those years would be classified as "common and nothing special" by most people, so there's that. But there's also some great classics, hope it helps.

• Europe GP: Mighty Senna lap, outstanding Barrichello performance, fun wet race to watch 93
  • Monaco GP: another Senna mighty showing
  • British GP: Senna and Prost dicing for position for a few laps, great scrap between two legends
  • Japan 93: Easy Senna win when, finally, McLaren seemed to have gotten the active suspension right, the Irvine episode

• Belgium GP: damp conditions, Schumacher starts from the back and drives an impressive race. I'm not a Schumacher fan, pains me to admit it
  • Japan GP: Damon Hill's finnest hour as a racing driver. Extremely wet race, really entertaining. A true classic, oftern forgot
  • Australia GP: Mansell's last roar, Schumacher divebombs Hill out of the race

• San Marino GP: the most fascinating thing about this race is seeing Schumacher runnning out of talent
  • Belgium GP: another Schumacher tour de force around Spa
  • Italy GP: I'm still gutted that Alesi didn't win this one as I was back in the day and after rewatching it. One of the highlights of that season for me

• Europe GP: great Alesi drive, he was outstanding in damp track conditions. Very entertaining race
  • Monaco GP: a classic, four cars runnning at the end
  • Spain GP: Schumacher's master class. Makes everyone else look silly in extreme wet conditions
  • Italy GP: Schumacher in that Ferrari should not have won this, but he did

• Monaco GP: wet race where Schumacher dominates the field and Barrichello gets an outstanding second place for Steward
  • France GP: you won't see many great races at Magny Cours, but that's one of them
  • British GP: Villeneuve spent half a minute stuck on the pitlane and still won
  • Germany GP: Berger's mighty send off on the amazing old Hockenheim. His last win after few days his father had passed away and after some very loud confrontations with Briatore, a great moment
  • Hungary GP: Hill, in a Arrows, almost won this one. A heartbreaking end, but an enjoyable classic nonetheless
  • Belgium GP: damp track + Spa + Schumacher, you can work out the rest
  • Italy GP: fun race to watch because it wasn't dominated by the main title contenders
  • Austria GP: impressive performance from Trulli in the Prost, mainly due to Bridgestone tires, but still, very cool and sadly not at all representative of what Prost's team would achieve in its history
  • Japan GP: Ross Brown is the great strategist behind Schumacher's success. That's probably one the first races where you can appreciate his genious behind a crazy Irvine strategy to improve Schumacher's shot at the win
  • Europe GP: the title decider, Schumacher, again, tries to divebomb his rival out of contention. Doesn't work

• San Marino GP: somewhat tense race because McLaren concealed Hakkinen's car so nobody knew the issue that caused his retirement. Schumacher puts on an impressive sequence of laps and eats Coulthard's lead into the end. Great race to watch
  • Canada GP: this race had some pretty mighty crashes at turn one, red flag and a safety-car period. None of those things were common back then
  • Belgium GP: a classic. It'll be present at every list of greatest races of all time
  • Luxemburg GP: great Schumacher vs. Hakkinen duel at the ending of the season
  • Japan GP: amazing title decider between Hakkinen and Schumacher, even though Schumacher kinda buckles under pressure here

• Brazil GP: great Barrichello drive in his home town only to end up in bitter disappointment, something that would become almost a tradition in his carreer: impressive drives at Interlagos only to finish in tears
  • Canada GP: have ever heard about the "wall of champions"? Well, started here
  • France GP: damp track, Jordan leading and an impressive showing from Barrichello and Frentzen, one of great races from that season full of them
  • Italy GP: really fun race to watch, Hakkinen losing it after making a mistake under pressure, Frentzen once again wins in a Jordan
  • Europe GP: there's a lot to talk about this one, but it was wet, had a scary and monstruous crash and Frentzen threw his shot at the championship away by basically turning his car off at pit exit, such a heartbreak
  • Malaysia GP: have you ever saw a driver trying very very very hard to go slow in order to let his team mate win? Schumacher does this here, is kinda of amazing

• Europe GP: changing conditions make this race a great moment of the season
  • Canada GP: starts to rain and makes the race very entertaining
  • France GP: Coulthad's finnest moment in F1, an impressive drive from start to finish. Schumacher and Hakkinen had nothing on him
  • Germany GP: incredible Barrichello performance and his first win at the old Hockenheim
  • Belgium GP: mighty scrap between Hakkinen and Schumacher and one of the finn's greatest drives

• Malaysia GP: a monsoon happens in this one
  • Brazil GP: Montoya shows Schumacher that his easy life is ending (not really) but it's a great scrap
  • Austria GP: everybody remembers Barrichello giving the win the following year, but here he does the same, giving Schumacher a podium position
  • Germany GP: last race in the old Hockenheim. Great performance by the powerful BMW V10 pushing the Williams
  • Italy GP: impressive Montoya vs. Barrichello duel
  • US GP: weird race after the 9/11

• Autralia GP: shunt at the start, six cars out of action
  • Austria GP: Ferrari gonna Ferrari
  • Europe GP: after what happened in Austria, Ferrari lets things more loose between its drivers and Barrichello seizes the opportunity
  • British GP: recover drive from Barrichello and action between Montoya and Schumacher early on
  • Italy GP: very popular Ferrari 1-2 on home soil
  • US 2002: Schumacher pays back the shitshow that happened in the Austrian GP, americans were not impressed

• Australia GP: Coulthard's last win
    Malaysia GP: Raikkonen's firs win
  • Brazil GP: absolutey crazy race, rated as high as Belgium 1998
  • San Marino GP: great race from both Schumacher brothers after their mother had died
  • Austria GP: Raikkonen and Schumacher battle
  • British GP: Barrichello's finnest moment as a racing driver, humbleded Schumacher in this one
  • Germany GP: mighty Montoya performance
  • Hungary GP: the first Alonso win where he gets to put a lap over Schumacher
  • US GP: Montoya pretty much loses his shot at the title in a incredible sequence of bad luck and decisions

• Monaco GP: any race that broke off Schumacher's dominance that year is great
  • US GP: last proper grand prix at the IMS, man watching those V10s screaming down the straight must have been something else
  • France GP: could a 4 pit strategy work? Well, if you got a car that's light years ahead of competition and Schumacher...
  • Belgium GP: great Raikkonen drive
  • Italy GP: fairly entertaining race, Ferrari show and celebrations at the end

• Malysia GP: Alonso starts his championship winning campaign
  • San Marino GP: absolutely historic last third of a race. Schumacher and Alonso going for the win, incredible stuff
  • Monaco 2005: great strategy from McLaren, which was very unusual, renders a cool win for Kimi. That's the race where he went on a binge afterwards which ended up on the tabloids
  • Canada GP: great strategies from Ferraris, awesome drive from Raikkonen
  • US GP: it isn't that great of a race, but it is unusual with only six cars startting and a piece of F1 history
  • Italy GP: V10s last hurrah through the long Monza straights, last Montoya win =(
  • Belgium GP: another solid Raikkonen performance that yeat, it's crazy how McLaren threw the championship away
  • Japan GP: absolutely god like performance from Kimi Raikkonen. WHAT A RACE

• Bahrein GP: great Schumacher performance
  • Australia GP: Montoya runs out of talent at the formation lap =)
  • Hungary GP: crazy wet races with everything happening and a very popular first win for Button in a Honda
  • Turkey GP: Massa would turn out almost invincible in this track. This was his first win and one that humbled his more famous team mate
  • China GP: wet race with strategy playing a big roll and helping to define the stage for the title decider
  • Brazil GP: lot's of stuff happens in this one: Alonso gets the title that seemed far away weeks earlier, Massa wins at home and Schumacher puts up a great drive from the back in what was his retirement at the time.

• Canada GP: that race had lots of things happening, such as drivers black flagged due to ignoring red ligths(!). Oh, and a Hamilton guy won for the first time in F1
  • British GP: outstanding drive from Kimi, starts his championship winning campaign
  • Europe GP: as great as Belgium 1998, seriously. Watch it!
  • Japan GP: absolutely insane wet race, same level of the European GP

• Monaco GP: great Hamilton drive, poor Massa performance under rain (yeah, it's a trend)
  • British GP: Hamilton's master class under rain. Massa spins 5 times and finishes a lap behind
  • Belgium GP: the whole Hamilton pênalti at the end of a very fun race
  • Singapore GP: shitshow from Ferrari at the pits, Piquet crashes on purpose so that Alonso has a shot at the win
  • Italy GP: Vettel shows the way to the whole field in a goddamn Toro Rosso
  • Brazil GP: everybody should watch this, it's more than a race, it's a thriller

• Australia GP: small underfunded team shows up and wins. It won't ever happen again
  • Germany GP: Webber's first win was a very emotional one and one that he had to fight hard to get
  • Belgium GP: outstanding drives from Raikkonen and Fisichella
  • Monza GP: banzai Barrichello strategy pays out huge at the end

I managed to find that torrent from Reddit and downloaded the majority of the seasons. With the folders being almost 1.6T, my hard drive is weeping. It will be worth it though.

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
People say Monaco is in danger because it doesn't have a contract but I get the feeling F1 will be happy to keep them around without all the special arrangements they had compared to all the other venues.
Spa is always the one at risk but from what I get it's proximity to the Netherlands is going to save it for the time being.
It sounds like Paul Ricard will be the one to pay the price here.
And nothing of value was lost.

How's magny cours holding up these days.

O Vet

Oct 30, 2017
Personally I wouldn't mind more races in the US. But I would like the tracks to be good, doesn't really matter where in the world they are.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Odd to me that VAG would let both of them do it rather than just the one,

maybe a 'some eggs in both baskets' thing? If I were either team I'd be cautious about them pulling the plug if they don't get quick results (if I were McLaren in particular as they'd need an engine supplier/ramp up, whereas Red Bull have a decent 'in house' engine donated to them as a start point)

wonder if that might mean McLaren get RedBull/Porsche/VAG engines?

Goron3

Alt account
Banned
Nov 24, 2020
Another race in the U.S isn't really problem. If anything, I think it will encourage even more sponsors and possibly manufacturers to enter (VAG is almost certainly happening).

The main issue is that we have too many races in the Middle East. Bahrain, Qatar, Saudi and Abu Dhabi taking up four slots for such a tiny population and market is the reason why the calendar is so populated.

Portodutch

Feb 17, 2021
I dont mind new tracks, gives also the teams less data to work with not having data from the years before.
One thing i am not a fan of is that every new track seems to be 6+ km in length.
Which means around 50 Laps and if you only have one real overtaking spot on a track then it gives the drivers less chances to do so.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
How would such a purchase work exactly? Will the cars turn into Audis? They're already McLarens? Or will it be Audi powered McLarens or the other way around?

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
How would such a purchase work exactly? Will the cars turn into Audis? They're already McLarens? Or will it be Audi powered McLarens or the other way around?

Can't remember where exactly I heard it (may have been Joe Saward) but supposedly BMW want the road car business while Audi want the F1 team

prateeko

Oct 26, 2017
Can't remember where exactly I heard it (may have been Joe Saward) but supposedly BMW want the road car business while Audi want the F1 team
I vaguely remember hearing such a rumor a little while back but not anything substantial. Would that mean BMW buys up McLeran for the assets or they also keep the road going/consumer "brand" and Audi/VW group gets all of the F1 assets (and in term rebranded them Audi or Porsche?

1 gift from Blent

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from Blent Blent!

This is a day raffle that will expire in 24 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

Blent said:
I have a code for a three-month iRacing subscription to give away.

It was from the recent simracing Humble Bundle, but I don't have the kit to make the most of it, so I may as well give it away to someone who would appreciate it.

This is not an April Fools. I am genuinely offering this.

This is my first attempt at a giveaway so sorry if I do anything wrong. I will run it for 24 hours and then the winner will be chosen at random.

Note: This offer is for new memberships only. It does not apply to current or lapsed iRacing accounts and cannot be combined with any other promotion.

The redemption deadline is June 1, 2022, 11:59:59 PM PDT.

These are our awesome prizes:

• iRacing iRacing: Three month subscription - Won by Qronicle Qronicle (3 entries)

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Very kind of you blent. I shan't enter as there's no way I could come close to doing it justice 😂

Hopefully it doesn't get poached by someone who just clicks on every gitbot going. I had that once and it sucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.