• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017

Portodutch

Feb 17, 2021
Curious what the Pirelli tyre choice will also do this race in terms of strategy.

Pirelli are skipping a compound and the C5, C3 and C2 are available. The lap time difference between the C5 and C3/C2 should be substantial.

Singh

Oct 26, 2017
IMG_20220310_080256.jpg
Thought this was a pretty cool set up.

www.astonmartinf1.com

AMF1 uses AMR21 chassis to create unique sim for Sebastian's home

Aston Martin Aramco Cognizant Formula One™ Team has delivered a cutting-edge simulator, based on an AMR21 R&D chassis, to the home of Sebastian Vettel.

Einhander

Banned
Apr 15, 2020
I hope we get Rosberg on commentary again this season. He's very insightful and has a chaotic "I don't give a shit" energy that's very funny when he throws it at Crofty.

We didn't see him towards the end of last season right? I do hope we get his commentary as I prefer him than Button and Palmer….

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
is the f1 fantasy site entirely unusable on iphone for everyone or just me? Can't see where to edit a team, it never shows me on reseteras team so if I search for a team it unjoins me. Such a crap website.

Lazlow

Oct 27, 2017
is the f1 fantasy site entirely unusable on iphone for everyone or just me? Can't see where to edit a team, it never shows me on reseteras team so if I search for a team it unjoins me. Such a crap website.

Not just you, it's trash on mobile. I'd have thought they would have a seaparate fantasy app at this point.

toad02

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
I live in Poland now but growing up in Brazil made me so used to hearing car noises coming out of the TV on Sunday mornings that I still consider it as the ideal F1 showtime.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I'd have probably extended zone 3 nearer to T8. It gives the driver a better run to overtake but because it's a bend it's a bit more of a risk/reward situation.

Oct 25, 2017
It sucks but I get why they went with 4 DRS zones. There just isn't a place for a big DRS zone even with the new changes.
They should have removed the chicane of turns 9/10 and merged those DRS zones.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
But only 2 detection zones? That means the car that passes gets to pull even further ahead after the next corner...

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK

They already did.

Turns 9 and 10 on that track map used to be turns 11 and 12.

But only 2 detection zones? That means the car that passes gets to pull even further ahead after the next corner...

This presumes the car will pass in the first DRS zone. Or that it will pass at all.

Albert Park is not known for it's overtaking.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017

Qronicle

Oct 27, 2017
Belgium
That is super cool. Random thought though...wouldn't the halo take up more of your vision since the displays are so close to the cockpit?
The idea is that your display settings / pov are setup so that everything is visually correctly scaled from where you are seated. The screens could be 20cm or 3m away, visually you would want everything the same size relative to your position. And the closer you can put the screens, the smaller they can be. (It's late, make that paragraph sound coherent in your own head :D)
Edit: basically you need to match your real life pov with the ingame pov settings, which you calculate using the distance to your screen and the screen size.

The halo will have the same effect as in real life. Because it's physically there, and we have two eyes that enable our depth perception, we can kinda look "beyond" it.

Last edited:

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
The idea is that your display settings / pov are setup so that everything is visually correctly scaled from where you are seated. The screens could be 20cm or 3m away, visually you would want everything the same size relative to your position. And the closer you can put the screens, the smaller they can be. (It's late, make that paragraph sound coherent in your own head :D)
Edit: basically you need to match your real life pov with the ingame pov settings.

The halo will have the same effect as in real life. Because it's physically there, and we have two eyes that enable our depth perception, we can kinda look "beyond" it.

So what I'm thinking of is this. Take your index finger from each hand and hold one in front of the other in front of your face. Focus on the finger farthest from you. As you move that finger closer towards you, the visual data from each eye for the finger closest to you will eventually intersect.

Now think of the finger closest to you as the halo bar and the finger farthest from you as the visual data you care about. A screen displaying that data is close to you, hence your focal distance is close vs far when racing irl.

It may not be an issue given the width of the cross-bar and the distance from the screens. Just random musings as I try to avoid working.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
So what I'm thinking of is this. Take your index finger from each hand and hold one in front of the other in front of your face. Focus on the finger farthest from you. As you move that finger closer towards you, the visual data from each eye for the finger closest to you will eventually intersect.

Now think of the finger closest to you as the halo bar and the finger farthest from you as the visual data you care about. A screen displaying that data is close to you, hence your focal distance is close vs far when racing irl.

It may not be an issue given the width of the cross-bar and the distance from the screens. Just random musings as I try to avoid working.

Even with a completely virtual halo that's being displayed on the same screen as everything else, so no benefits of focal length or anything like that, eventually you just stop seeing it.

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It sucks but I get why they went with 4 DRS zones. There just isn't a place for a big DRS zone even with the new changes.
No way, turns 9 and 10 on that map are the old turns 11 and 12, which are the signature corners of Albert Park. If they eliminated that chicane there would be riots.

Oct 25, 2017
No way, turns 9 and 10 on that map are the old turns 11 and 12, which are the signature corners of Albert Park. If they eliminated that chicane there would be riots.
People really care about the sanctity of Albert Park?
The season opening Albert Park race was always where our pre-season hype went to die because the circuit is tight, there is a chicane every 10 meters and nobody could overtake.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
All I know is i don't like this track in the F1 Game so hopefully the changes to it make it a track i like to race on

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Already listened to the Susie Wolff one. Interesting to hear her admit that she didn't think of herself as a top level driver.

Also interesting to hear distinctive twangs of a German accent popping up throughout the interview!

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Already listened to the Susie Wolff one. Interesting to hear her admit that she didn't think of herself as a top level driver.

Also interesting to hear distinctive twangs of a German accent popping up throughout the interview!
Having only heard of her through DTS, I honestly thought she was German at first. Never knew she was actually Scottish.

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017

Hah yeah most of the time I can hear David Coulthard and then just occasionally Toto popped in. Great interview and I can't imagine how she must have felt for suddenly being picked out as the best female at that event after finishing 16th when all she was interested in was being the best of anyone.

Halfway throughthe Mansell one now.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Hah yeah most of the time I can hear David Coulthard and then just occasionally Toto popped in. Great interview and I can't imagine how she must have felt for suddenly being picked out as the best female at that event after finishing 16th when all she was interested in was being the best of anyone.

Halfway throughthe Mansell one now.
Yeah, that's like getting a participation trophy at school!

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

Feel like it's a matter of time before we get a race weekend that's been severely affected by freight issuses. Joe Saward explains this really well in his last blog post about how COVID and now the war in Ukraine is affecting things:

joesaward.wordpress.com

joeblogsf1

Joe Saward writes about F1 and the world

Definitely, it was always a rare risk before but really ramping up in terms of delayed freight recently. Between delays going to Brazil last year, Haas at testing and now this.

Doesn't help that F1 still aren't sensibly placing races in terms of proximity. Like the two US races and Canada are all at three separate points in the calendar rather than together.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao, so apparently there have been a total of 1 overtakes for the lead in Australia ever. So maybe the ridiculous 4 DRS zones might actually be a good thing, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.