• FIA Formula One 2023 |OT| Catering to Every Budget

Votes: 42 38.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moss

Oct 27, 2017
HAM broke another Schumacher record this weekend. It was Hamilton's 16th consecutive season (07-22) to finish on the podium, Schumacher held the previous record of 15 (92-06).

HAM also extended his points finishes record to 250 which is a strike rate of over 86%.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. What's wrong with just simplicity and clarity?! They must surely have tested them beforehand so you'd have thought someone would have piped up and gone "Well, actually..."
If you're the design house that has been watching NASCAR and IndyCar coverage for longer than F1, it now looks 'consistent', i.e. bad.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
The new graphics seem very rushed. There were a few glitches during the race itself.

I don't give a shit about the driver numbers, just show me the team colors.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The graphics should improve pretty quickly like the last time they changed. But they made some of the same mistakes again which they learned the hard way last time. Probably rushed just to meet the new season start.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
Picking out one thing from the stats, the fastest laps of Lewis and George were 0.07 apart, so that's going to be fun.

Mick was within 3 tenths of Mag despite no late race softs run like everyone else (pretty much) had, so it really was that nerf that screwed him.

Zhou was really quick, no hero run late on for him either but well within touch of Bottas which for a much maligned rookie on his debut is damned good.

Latifi and Hulk well off the back of the field. One of them has an excuse.

NicknameMy

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Mick got turned around in Turkey, Brasil and now Bahrain all while in good position, all from behind without his fault.

Raceweek 2 - Saudia Arabia 25-27 March
OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Revel in your glory/shame accordingly. And suggest a new poll. It's as close to Fantasy League as I'm gonna get.

51951922388_2c9436d7f0_o.png

The title has also been changed so my fellow humans please rev your powerunits ready for Raceweek 2, Saudi Arabia

51951922398_31557d7dbb_o.png

KimonoNoNo

Oct 26, 2017
Call yourself a fan if you don't watch it live OP? ;-)

This nugget was fun to read, and says a lot about Charles' big-brain thinking. He knew Max would bomb-into the first corner so the key element was to think about the next DRS zone and repass him there. And it worked. Not just once, but twice.

the-race.com

'Max is aggressive, but so am I' - How Leclerc made his point - The Race

An epic fight for the win in Formula 1’s Bahrain Grand Prix did not need to turn sour for Charles Leclerc to send a message to Max Verstappen
I seem to recall Lewis using a similar tactic but in attack in that Brazil race last year. Get the opponent to defend air at the turn 1 esses, to get the better exit for the back straight DRS pass.

GUArutha

Apr 25, 2018
I really enjoyed this race! As a Sauber fan i'm delighted that both cars were in the points. Even though just to bad luck of an opponent.
I liked that the Alfas were shown much more than in the past. Probably because of Zhou and his nationality but nevertheless it was great to see.

I actually liked the new graphics. On TV they were good to read. But I missed the map of the circuit for pitstops.
What I don't like is that the media coverage of Alfa Romeo still is poor. If you follow english media they are almost nonexistent.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Oof, Lando is in contract with McLaren until 2025...

Ricciardo is also getting older. His dreams of ever being a WDC are fading pretty quickly. He would've been better off sticking with Red Bull, or at least waiting a year or two before jumping ship. Now all the top teams are pretty committed to their line ups. In another timeline I could see him ending up in Sainz current seat at Ferrari.
He definitely would not have been better off sticking with Red Bull. He was never going to be a WDC at Red Bull, Baku 2018 showed that it didn't matter if Daniel was quicker in a race, that was Max's team. His only option was to go somewhere else.

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Will Red Bull Power Trains finish the race?
I shall be attempting to keep things as neutral as I can, unless that becomes a clear trend 😂

While we all have our own bias and I have zero issue at all in revelling in another team/drivers misfortune (so long as it isn't enjoying an injury etc), I'm going to try and not stoke the fire in my capacity as OP where possible.

The polls are a bit limted as you can only have 7 choices which is just dumb.

Bungie

Oct 31, 2017
Will be interesting to see who's quickest in the speed traps this weekend. These things aren't entirely driven by the PU I know, but this is supposed to be the fastest circuit on the calendar so you imagine all the teams will be running reduced wings

nix6

Oct 28, 2017
McLaren back to Honda glory days (those recent ones) :(
Will have to cheer for Ferrari as my B team. Anyone but RBR.
I am kind of glad Ferrari is fast (when McLaren sucks) because they have tho most beautiful car. Hopefully everyone eill follow their design next season.

How long until Horner start shitting on Binotto?

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
So I only just manged to watch the highlights on Sky but was at least unspoiled. First time I've had the sports at home in years and I wasn't able to tune in, fml.

So, only saw the HLs, only seen Leclercs post race interview but here are my notes. Not read any of the thread yet to bear with.

New titles are shit. Completely devoid of any emotion at all.
Crofty announcing the grid starting from the back just felt weird. No idea why
Lol Bottas Start. What is dead may never die.
Kmag channeling his inner Deryck Whibley with is "In too deep" cover
Lewis showing that the hards are like driving on Ice.
FML McLaren how are you so slow
Hards prove to be utter shit
Angry Max after his 2nd stop just getting narked at his team
Surprise extra late pit stops just before a hot hot hot Red Bull Powertrains car causes a SC (that took forever to get the pack together)
Max trying to game the restart and Leclerc just chopping him (though possibly due to Red Bull Powertrains issues)
Red Bull Powertrains shenanigans ensue. ImOKWithThis.jpg
Way to go Ferrari, as expected Leclerc has Carlos in his pocket
Damage limitation for Merc and they are probably very happy with that result

Battle with Max and Charles was good, though interesting to hear Charles say he was giving up T1 to have the advantage later.

If Lewis can't be winning, I'm happy to be #ForzaFerrari for the season, just this once.

Brot where are you.

I shall now go back and read the thread.

To be honest, I didn't see the thread because it's in Hangouts. Was it ever posted in the OT proper?

Anyway, it's great to see a Ferrari 1-2 at the start of the season but that's also precisely why it doesn't matter.
I'm not getting excited unless they can perform like this after the summer break.

GUArutha

Apr 25, 2018
McLaren back to Honda glory days (those recent ones) :(
Will have to cheer for Ferrari as my B team. Anyone but RBR.
I am kind of glad Ferrari is fast (when McLaren sucks) because they have tho most beautiful car. Hopefully everyone eill follow their design next season.

How long until Horner start shitting on Binotto?

Alfa Romeo has the prettier car than Ferrari! :-)
I like the Ferrari car but yesterday in TV it looked a bit too dark for me. Hopefully under the sun it looks even better.

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
To be honest, I didn't see the thread because it's in Hangouts. Was it ever posted in the OT proper?

Anyway, it's great to see a Ferrari 1-2 at the start of the season but that's also precisely why it doesn't matter.
I'm not getting excited unless they can perform like this after the summer break.
Ah no it was never in OT Proper. I still have my FootyEra hat on and we've not been welcome in OT for about a decade 😂

I reckon Ferrari can do it, they should have no reason not to be able to, but then we've said that for years. This time they actually started well and hopefully won't have any suspicious meetings with the FIA followed by a surprising drop off in performance.

SeaRiver

Banned
Feb 9, 2022
How do you all follow F1 news between races/during the offseason? I've found that a lot of english speaking F1 newspeople/personalities are pretty overtly pro British drivers, anyone have any good english speaking twitter/instagram accounts they like?

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
Ah no it was never in OT Proper. I still have my FootyEra hat on and we've not been welcome in OT for about a decade 😂

I reckon Ferrari can do it, they should have no reason not to be able to, but then we've said that for years. This time they actually started well and hopefully won't have any suspicious meetings with the FIA followed by a surprising drop off in performance.
Ah, that's why I never noticed it until now. Thanks for hitting me up!

The issue is that Ferrari have proven again and again that they usually can't keep up with the development race during the season. I expect them to swap places with Mercedes at some point while Red Bull and Max drive off into the distance.

It's either that, or Charles will lose the title by less than 10 points.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
New fan because of Drive to Survive so that was my first real fully watched race. God damn didn't think it would be that exciting in it's real time format. Never cared much for sports besides maybe soccer. Think I might've finally found mine.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
How do you all follow F1 news between races/during the offseason? I've found that a lot of english speaking F1 newspeople/personalities are pretty overtly pro British drivers, anyone have any good english speaking twitter/instagram accounts they like?
Shift F1 podcast has pre- and post- race shows:

www.f1.cool

Shift+F1

nix6

Oct 28, 2017
Alfa Romeo has the prettier car than Ferrari! :-)
I like the Ferrari car but yesterday in TV it looked a bit too dark for me. Hopefully under the sun it looks even better.

I was thinking more about the shape of the car. those curves….
colorwise , as McLaren fan, I dont like red either. :)
I agree that Alfa looks top.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
on fantasy F1 is there a way to see the current driver/constructor pricing? I have $4.5m dollars and wondering if its worth swapping alonso out or not. Happy with the rest of my team at the moment (after an emergency McLarendectopy)

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
New fan because of Drive to Survive so that was my first real fully watched race. God damn didn't think it would be that exciting in it's real time format. Never cared much for sports besides maybe soccer. Think I might've finally found mine.
oneofus.jpg

Welcome, have a look at some of the podcast/video suggestions in the OP if you have a thirst for more F1 stuff.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Beyond the grid does great interviews with people in F1 past and present. WTF1 are on insta & twitter.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Cool talk. Intresting Max talks about the restart. Was odd he stayed right. Seems he couldnt move left because it was stuck haha

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
on fantasy F1 is there a way to see the current driver/constructor pricing? I have $4.5m dollars and wondering if its worth swapping alonso out or not. Happy with the rest of my team at the moment (after an emergency McLarendectopy)

Edit your team and remove Alonso to check?

Changes aren't permanent until you save them, there's no way to lose money by checking.

Oct 25, 2017
I follow Tami (@ Vetteleclerc) on Twitter. She's surely pro Ferrari as you can imagine, but it must be someone nice to follow even if you're not a Ferrari fan. Also, she translates articles from trustworthy sources from Italy and Germany. If you check her profile now it's all celebrations from yesterday though lol

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Cool talk. Intresting Max talks about the restart. Was odd he stayed right. Seems he couldnt move left because it was stuck haha

This is what I like to see.
"Competitors" who arent haters....hopefully itll mean fans will be less toxic.
I hope the whole seeason goes Ver/Lec and they stay friendly with each other.

In before "fuck Redbull, fuck Christian Horner hes a terrible human being, fuck Max because he is entitled and spoiled"
Jeeezzz guys chill the f out.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

In before "fuck Redbull, fuck Christian Horner hes a terrible human being, fuck Max because he is entitled and spoiled"
Yeah. Lewis was also asked about social media etc talking about "karma"
He gave a mature answer also.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
Any suggestions for classic races to watch? Figured that might be a good way to get my money's worth out of F1TV

Well, I have just the thing for you. During the 2020 quarantine, F1 started to show some old races on YouTube and, without that much else to do, I decided to start watching old seasons, from 1993 onwards. Don't really know why I choosed that year, maybe my memories from that season, Senna at his peak, last Prost season, Schumacher starting to show, anyways.

Not all races from older seasons are available in F1TV rigth now, so the ones that are not there were provided by a famous megatorrent that lists every race from 1978 onwards. Every single one of them (if you are interested, send me a message). I have marked races that I'm sure are available at F1TV with italic (plus, some more could be available after all this time).

The following list goes from 1993 to 2009 and it's very personal: some races I liked to rewatch after all those years would be classified as "common and nothing special" by most people, so there's that. But there's also some great classics, hope it helps.

• Europe GP: Mighty Senna lap, outstanding Barrichello performance, fun wet race to watch 93
  • Monaco GP: another Senna mighty showing
  • British GP: Senna and Prost dicing for position for a few laps, great scrap between two legends
  • Japan 93: Easy Senna win when, finally, McLaren seemed to have gotten the active suspension right, the Irvine episode

• Belgium GP: damp conditions, Schumacher starts from the back and drives an impressive race. I'm not a Schumacher fan, pains me to admit it
  • Japan GP: Damon Hill's finnest hour as a racing driver. Extremely wet race, really entertaining. A true classic, oftern forgot
  • Australia GP: Mansell's last roar, Schumacher divebombs Hill out of the race

• San Marino GP: the most fascinating thing about this race is seeing Schumacher runnning out of talent
  • Belgium GP: another Schumacher tour de force around Spa
  • Italy GP: I'm still gutted that Alesi didn't win this one as I was back in the day and after rewatching it. One of the highlights of that season for me

• Europe GP: great Alesi drive, he was outstanding in damp track conditions. Very entertaining race
  • Monaco GP: a classic, four cars runnning at the end
  • Spain GP: Schumacher's master class. Makes everyone else look silly in extreme wet conditions
  • Italy GP: Schumacher in that Ferrari should not have won this, but he did

• Monaco GP: wet race where Schumacher dominates the field and Barrichello gets an outstanding second place for Steward
  • France GP: you won't see many great races at Magny Cours, but that's one of them
  • British GP: Villeneuve spent half a minute stuck on the pitlane and still won
  • Germany GP: Berger's mighty send off on the amazing old Hockenheim. His last win after few days his father had passed away and after some very loud confrontations with Briatore, a great moment
  • Hungary GP: Hill, in a Arrows, almost won this one. A heartbreaking end, but an enjoyable classic nonetheless
  • Belgium GP: damp track + Spa + Schumacher, you can work out the rest
  • Italy GP: fun race to watch because it wasn't dominated by the main title contenders
  • Austria GP: impressive performance from Trulli in the Prost, mainly due to Bridgestone tires, but still, very cool and sadly not at all representative of what Prost's team would achieve in its history
  • Japan GP: Ross Brown is the great strategist behind Schumacher's success. That's probably one the first races where you can appreciate his genious behind a crazy Irvine strategy to improve Schumacher's shot at the win
  • Europe GP: the title decider, Schumacher, again, tries to divebomb his rival out of contention. Doesn't work

• San Marino GP: somewhat tense race because McLaren concealed Hakkinen's car so nobody knew the issue that caused his retirement. Schumacher puts on an impressive sequence of laps and eats Coulthard's lead into the end. Great race to watch
  • Canada GP: this race had some pretty mighty crashes at turn one, red flag and a safety-car period. None of those things were common back then
  • Belgium GP: a classic. It'll be present at every list of greatest races of all time
  • Luxemburg GP: great Schumacher vs. Hakkinen duel at the ending of the season
  • Japan GP: amazing title decider between Hakkinen and Schumacher, even though Schumacher kinda buckles under pressure here

• Brazil GP: great Barrichello drive in his home town only to end up in bitter disappointment, something that would become almost a tradition in his carreer: impressive drives at Interlagos only to finish in tears
  • Canada GP: have ever heard about the "wall of champions"? Well, started here
  • France GP: damp track, Jordan leading and an impressive showing from Barrichello and Frentzen, one of great races from that season full of them
  • Italy GP: really fun race to watch, Hakkinen losing it after making a mistake under pressure, Frentzen once again wins in a Jordan
  • Europe GP: there's a lot to talk about this one, but it was wet, had a scary and monstruous crash and Frentzen threw his shot at the championship away by basically turning his car off at pit exit, such a heartbreak
  • Malaysia GP: have you ever saw a driver trying very very very hard to go slow in order to let his team mate win? Schumacher does this here, is kinda of amazing

• Europe GP: changing conditions make this race a great moment of the season
  • Canada GP: starts to rain and makes the race very entertaining
  • France GP: Coulthad's finnest moment in F1, an impressive drive from start to finish. Schumacher and Hakkinen had nothing on him
  • Germany GP: incredible Barrichello performance and his first win at the old Hockenheim
  • Belgium GP: mighty scrap between Hakkinen and Schumacher and one of the finn's greatest drives

• Malaysia GP: a monsoon happens in this one
  • Brazil GP: Montoya shows Schumacher that his easy life is ending (not really) but it's a great scrap
  • Austria GP: everybody remembers Barrichello giving the win the following year, but here he does the same, giving Schumacher a podium position
  • Germany GP: last race in the old Hockenheim. Great performance by the powerful BMW V10 pushing the Williams
  • Italy GP: impressive Montoya vs. Barrichello duel
  • US GP: weird race after the 9/11

• Autralia GP: shunt at the start, six cars out of action
  • Austria GP: Ferrari gonna Ferrari
  • Europe GP: after what happened in Austria, Ferrari lets things more loose between its drivers and Barrichello seizes the opportunity
  • British GP: recover drive from Barrichello and action between Montoya and Schumacher early on
  • Italy GP: very popular Ferrari 1-2 on home soil
  • US 2002: Schumacher pays back the shitshow that happened in the Austrian GP, americans were not impressed

• Australia GP: Coulthard's last win
    Malaysia GP: Raikkonen's firs win
  • Brazil GP: absolutey crazy race, rated as high as Belgium 1998
  • San Marino GP: great race from both Schumacher brothers after their mother had died
  • Austria GP: Raikkonen and Schumacher battle
  • British GP: Barrichello's finnest moment as a racing driver, humbleded Schumacher in this one
  • Germany GP: mighty Montoya performance
  • Hungary GP: the first Alonso win where he gets to put a lap over Schumacher
  • US GP: Montoya pretty much loses his shot at the title in a incredible sequence of bad luck and decisions

• Monaco GP: any race that broke off Schumacher's dominance that year is great
  • US GP: last proper grand prix at the IMS, man watching those V10s screaming down the straight must have been something else
  • France GP: could a 4 pit strategy work? Well, if you got a car that's light years ahead of competition and Schumacher...
  • Belgium GP: great Raikkonen drive
  • Italy GP: fairly entertaining race, Ferrari show and celebrations at the end

• Malysia GP: Alonso starts his championship winning campaign
  • San Marino GP: absolutely historic last third of a race. Schumacher and Alonso going for the win, incredible stuff
  • Monaco 2005: great strategy from McLaren, which was very unusual, renders a cool win for Kimi. That's the race where he went on a binge afterwards which ended up on the tabloids
  • Canada GP: great strategies from Ferraris, awesome drive from Raikkonen
  • US GP: it isn't that great of a race, but it is unusual with only six cars startting and a piece of F1 history
  • Italy GP: V10s last hurrah through the long Monza straights, last Montoya win =(
  • Belgium GP: another solid Raikkonen performance that yeat, it's crazy how McLaren threw the championship away
  • Japan GP: absolutely god like performance from Kimi Raikkonen. WHAT A RACE

• Bahrein GP: great Schumacher performance
  • Australia GP: Montoya runs out of talent at the formation lap =)
  • Hungary GP: crazy wet races with everything happening and a very popular first win for Button in a Honda
  • Turkey GP: Massa would turn out almost invincible in this track. This was his first win and one that humbled his more famous team mate
  • China GP: wet race with strategy playing a big roll and helping to define the stage for the title decider
  • Brazil GP: lot's of stuff happens in this one: Alonso gets the title that seemed far away weeks earlier, Massa wins at home and Schumacher puts up a great drive from the back in what was his retirement at the time.

• Canada GP: that race had lots of things happening, such as drivers black flagged due to ignoring red ligths(!). Oh, and a Hamilton guy won for the first time in F1
  • British GP: outstanding drive from Kimi, starts his championship winning campaign
  • Europe GP: as great as Belgium 1998, seriously. Watch it!
  • Japan GP: absolutely insane wet race, same level of the European GP

• Monaco GP: great Hamilton drive, poor Massa performance under rain (yeah, it's a trend)
  • British GP: Hamilton's master class under rain. Massa spins 5 times and finishes a lap behind
  • Belgium GP: the whole Hamilton pênalti at the end of a very fun race
  • Singapore GP: shitshow from Ferrari at the pits, Piquet crashes on purpose so that Alonso has a shot at the win
  • Italy GP: Vettel shows the way to the whole field in a goddamn Toro Rosso
  • Brazil GP: everybody should watch this, it's more than a race, it's a thriller

• Australia GP: small underfunded team shows up and wins. It won't ever happen again
  • Germany GP: Webber's first win was a very emotional one and one that he had to fight hard to get
  • Belgium GP: outstanding drives from Raikkonen and Fisichella
  • Monza GP: banzai Barrichello strategy pays out huge at the end

kolsonk

Jul 6, 2021
From the 2nd to last race of last season to the 2nd race this season, the turnaround to Jeddah is crazy. I think this circuit is really going to showcase the new cars well

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
From the 2nd to last race of last season to the 2nd race this season, the turnaround to Jeddah is crazy. I think this circuit is really going to showcase the new cars well
Merc likely to get pumped. All high speed corners. Less bumpy will mean they can ride a fraction lower but I doubt it will be enough.

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Rumours circulating that it's not the standard part which failed for RBR.

Not entirely surprising given that only RB powertrain cars failed but still.
Apparently Motorsport.com reported that it wasn't a standard part that failed. Very odd that it did both RBs in over the space of a few laps though. I only watched the HLs but did Checo report any of the same other issues Max did or did his car just blue screen mid corner out of nowhere?

I don't think Binotto will wade in like Toto does so it'll likely remain more civil from the top. Though I don't really recall massive moments between Lewis and Max last season out of the car or even really in interviews. They might not have been as friendly, but Max and Charles are literally friends. It'll all depend on how close the fight is. If they are competing tooth and nail then teeth and nails are going to get used in the fight if it'll help. Stopping that is very very difficult. It'll help a bit that they won't ever get told they have to move over for the other but they are absolutely going to come together on track more than once if it really is them both going 23 rounds together.

Toxicity doesn't just come from the fans though, hopefully well have a little less of it from certain other people.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
I read a theory that suggested they had miscalculated fuel loads, which is why both cars failed around the same time. I doubt we'll know the true reasons for a while.

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently Motorsport.com reported that it wasn't a standard part that failed. Very odd that it did both RBs in over the space of a few laps though. I only watched the HLs but did Checo report any of the same other issues Max did or did his car just blue screen mid corner out of nowhere?
Checo started reporting issues around lap 56 or 57. Just "losing power", he didn't have the steering issue Verstappen had.

Status
Not open for further replies.