• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Coming Home?

• No

Votes: 191 49.6%
  • No

Votes: 194 50.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

PaddingtonDidntDoIt

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 8, 2018
For all the complaining/eulogising about the IT'S COMING HOME stuff, it's worth recalling that the first images of the second, 1998 version of the song, are of exactly that moment.

Also, it led to this:

That's hilarious. What a comeback for southgate. Really deserved to do it like this.

Can people please stop mixing up sport and politics. They have nothing to do with each other. The England football team aren't representing Brexit or whatever.
Politics and sport are completely intertwined. No matter how much we wish they weren't.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure this wasn't something adapted during the game, but rather discussed before the game. Mexico did the same in all the games they played, high pressing and wasting a lot of energy in the first half and maybe up to 65-70 minute and then almost dying in the last 20 minutes. When they manage to score in their high tempo period it worked for them, when they didn't they failed (Sweden and Brazil).

As I said before Brazil didn't really look like they are struggling against Mexico at any point during the game. Even if Mexico would have scored Brazil looked sure to score too.

And I'm not saying that Tite is a bad manager, quite the opposite. Just a bit inflexible when things don't go his way. Maybe it's just a wrong observation, I don't know.
Yes, the plan and the fact that Mexico waste a lot of energy was well known and was a before game thing. But Brasil was struggling against Mexico. In the first half they weren't able to break past the 5-3-2 on defense of Mexico.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Fell down a rabbit hole on YouTube of soccer clips. Found one with the ten most famous penalty kicks legit half are Italy and England misses, like come on lol. But Italy turned that record around for the most part, looks like England is as well

Well... we've won one.

I'd probably quite like to not have to find out if we can win two.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
It's all fun in hindsight laughing and criticising Januzaj and Macheda but both had very successful youth careers.

You don't seriously believe scouts and what not saw those two matches and immediately hyped them up do you? No scouts watched them for long periods of time before that. It's only the media and fickle people who barely watch football.

Januzaj moreso was the best youth player at the club. And he's just failed to kick on since then, some say he has an attitude problem whereas Macheda just couldn't adapt to the full-fledged adult game.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
My twitter is full of 'its coming home' memes and I love it. Some of them are hilarious.

I love British humour.

At least if we crash out of the tournament the 'its coming home' will stay strong for the euros and the next world cup. If we end up winning this thing they won't make as much sense and won't be as funny.

Oh my God, imagine if we actually did win it and Skinner, Baddiel and the Lightning Seeds made a sequel song. It's 2018, let's go full meme and full circle.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Why would you think anyone was laughing at scouts??? Obviously it's the fans/media we are laughing at, this is what we were exposed to, not a detailed scout report.

Weird reply.

'Had an international team bidding war after just two goals'

No it was after years of being great at youth level, it was sped up after the two goals because they thought the other might call him up sooner than expected if he stayed in the first team.

Obviously he's ass now. But hindsight.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
'Had an international team bidding war after just two goals'

No it was after years of being great at youth level, it was sped up after the two goals because they thought the other might call him up sooner than expected if he stayed in the first team.

Obviously he's ass now. But hindsight.
An international bidding war hyped up by fans and the media. That stuff goes on all the time and no one cares but all of a sudden it's big news because of two goals against Sunderland

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Managed to get my worktimes changed tomorrow. Kick-off for first game is 4 PM, was supposed to work 10 AM-6 PM. Now I work 6 AM-2 PM. Bring it on!

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Last five games between Uruguay and France.

Friendly, 05/06/13: Uruguay 1-0 France
Friendly, 15/08/12: France 0-0 Uruguay
World Cup, 11/06/10: Uruguay 0-0 France
Friendly, 19/11/08: France 0-0 Uruguay
World Cup, 06/06/02: France 0-0 Uruguay

so excited

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
9GoEjNv.gif

Ready for tomorrow.

PaddingtonDidntDoIt

Banned
May 8, 2018

THREE poachers eaten by LIONS.

It's coming home, lads.

This is horrible, don't applaud the death of 3 human beings. Poachers themselves have a bad life and have no choice but to fight and kill Lions to sell off. If any one should be killed by these lions it's the non-Africans who are creating and fuelling this market.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017

so excited
Ah historical stats and their significance, so number of goals went up 100% from 12 -> 13. If this trend kept up during the years they never met this means there will be 32 goals in total tomorrow! crazy

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
This is horrible, don't applaud the death of 3 human beings. Poachers themselves have a bad life and have no choice but to fight and kill Lions to sell off. If any one should be killed by these lions it's the non-Africans who are creating and fuelling this market.
Uh no. Poachers are fucking awful.

They have caused multiple animals to go extinct. The market for it is bullshit too but they are the ones going out and killing these animals.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope France is able to score a lot tomorrow. I don't want to see a 1 goal game.
Human lives are not so important that entire species should go extinct because of them.

An accidental death I absolutely will sympathize. Someone hunting down endangered animals for money? Fuck that.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I see Brazilians are underrating Belgian defenders. Kompany/Vertonghen/Alderweireld to score from a set piece!

Its the opposite actually. Era spent the entire cup talking about how the brazilian defense is trash and how stupid they looked in most plays.... yet only switzerland scored so far. And it isnt just this cup, the entire qualifiers the brazilian defensive system was the strongest point, not the attack. That's Tite trademark

Of course vertonghen - kompany - alderweireld can score from a setpiece, but its no more likely than any other belgium player scoring from any other situation (except for courtois scoring a bicycle kick i guess). Headers are not free goals against us like some believe.

Funny thing is, era trashes brazil defence while praising Uruguay's.... yet brazil was way more solid in the qualifiers than them. And so far in the cup faced better opposition.

PaddingtonDidntDoIt

Banned
May 8, 2018
I really hope France is able to score a lot tomorrow. I don't want to see a 1 goal game.

Human lives are not so important that entire species should go extinct because of them.

An accidental death I absolutely will sympathize. Someone hunting down endangered animals for money? Fuck that.
You are in a privileged position to say this. Poachers aren't hunters. They need to feed themselves and their families. Rather than killing humans, they choose to hunt animals.

By your logic, you should show zero sympathy to soldiers sent to Iraq and have died there. Since they had no reason to be there. This whole argument stops if you say you have no sympathy for these either and your logic is consistent. Otherwise, you show you have no understanding of African and poverty stricken regions at best.

Magni

so excited

The 2002 and 2010 WCs were pretty much friendlies as far as France was concerned.

They're playing to win this time around. (or so I hope anyways).

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. Fuck poachers. There's no difference in taking a human life, or that of a Lion.

It is only fitting a Lion killed them. Sometimes you just get what you deserve.

I don't understand how you can sympathize with poachers.

Oct 26, 2017
If England win people in this country won't shut up about it for half a fucking century. There'll be babies called 2018.

Who's the underdog out of the ones left? I'm rooting for them. Unless it's England, obviously.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are in a privileged position to say this. Poachers aren't hunters. They need to feed themselves and their families. Rather than killing humans, they choose to hunt animals.

By your logic, you should show zero sympathy to soldiers sent to Iraq and have died there. Since they had no reason to be there. This whole argument stops if you say you have no sympathy for these either and your logic is consistent. Otherwise, you show you have no understanding of African and poverty stricken regions at best.
I don't think you get what poacher means

Oct 27, 2017
London
Everyone in England's bracket can be called an underdog. The other bracket is seriously stacked. The one who scores first in the Sweden game will decide the winner I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.