• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BourbonAFC

Oct 26, 2017
your favorite movie is one of the Few Godard movies I can stand. also Vivre Sa vie>breathless

Hey we actually agree on something!

I've grown pretty cold on Godard in general as I've gotten older. Vivre Sa Vie and Breathless are the only two I still really like. I was surprisingly not all that into Pierrot le Fou, even though I kept thinking I should like this. Maybe I owe it a rewatch, it has been years since I watched it.

Contempt is ok, too.

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
Well dogshit. The Peeping Tom disc Netflix sent is broke/ps4 won't play it. Guess I'm filling in with something else...

OP
OP
Flow

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA

I've grown pretty cold on Godard in general as I've gotten older. Vivre Sa Vie and Breathless are the only two I still really like. I was surprisingly not all that into Pierrot le Fou, even though I kept thinking I should like this. Maybe I owe it a rewatch, it has been years since I watched it.

Contempt is ok, too.
yo you get rid of your normal avy. rip. I am going to watch some more of his stuff next month

The Shepherd

Oct 25, 2017
What should I see tomorrow for my weekly Moviepass movie? Options are:

• Suburbicon
  • Thank You For Your Service
  • Geostorm
  • Only the Brave
  • Snowman
  • Boo 2!
  • Foreigner
  • Happy Death Day
  • Mountain Between Us
  • Victoria and Abdul
I would pick Only the Brave personally. I haven't seen it but I read up on the situation presented in the movie and it seems like it would be worth a watch. Also the reviews are pretty good too unlike some of the other films you listed.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
1. What's your favorite Movie?
Of 2017, Blade Runner 2049 or Baby Driver. All time, Spider-Man 2.
2. Who's your favorite director?
Denis Villeneuve
3. Who are your favorite actors/actresses?
Jon Hamm, Ryan Gosling, Ben Affleck, Andrew Garfield, Jake Gyllenhaal, Kevin Spacey, Miles Teller, Michael Fassbender, Michael B. Jordan, and many more.
4. Favorite Genre(s)?
I'll try just about anything but sometimes I struggle with those super abstract films that no one's ever heard of.
5. What's your favorite performance in film?
The most recent one that comes to mind is Hugh Jackman's final outing as Wolverine, I saw it three times in the theater and cried like a baby each time. He gave it his all and it shattered me to the core. I'm also willing to say just about anything Jake Gyllenhaal is in is incredibly captivating and he never fails to let me down, give him his damn Oscar.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa

• Suburbicon
  • Geostorm
  • Only the Brave
  • Snowman
  • Boo 2!
  • Foreigner
  • Happy Death Day
  • Mountain Between Us
  • Victoria and Abdul
Jigsaw is out this weekend as well (at least in the US) but obviously some people can't handle how intense those movies are. I've heard great things about Only the Brave and a mixed bag about Thank You For Your Service, sounds like just another one of those movies about soldiers with PTSD that we've seen a number of times. Safest bet is Only The Brave probably, the others have meh reviews.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

• Suburbicon
  • Geostorm
  • Only the Brave
  • Snowman
  • Boo 2!
  • Foreigner
  • Happy Death Day
  • Mountain Between Us
  • Victoria and Abdul

Only the Brave, or Victoria and Abdul if you have an AARP card

Or Snowman if you just need to see the worst film of 2017

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone catch The Square yet? Force Majeure was one of my favorite films in recent memory, so I'm very excited. Might try to see it this weekend if I have time.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Just watched Jigsaw tonight. Man, I absolutely love MoviePass, as one film is usually $14 in Nashville. So far, I have watched 7 films last month and watched 7 this month. May see Surbibicon this Saturday.

Oct 25, 2017
Here's what's playing near me that I have interest in seeing. Suburbicon, The Killing of a Sacred Deer, Wonderstruck, Goodbye Christopher Robin, and The Florida Project. Suburbicon is the only one playing at a normal theater, while all the others are at the art theater which will cost me 3 times the cost of seeing Suburbicon. Goodbye Christopher Robin and The Florida Project should probably go to the second art theater next week since they are older where it would only cost 1.5x the amount of Suburbicon. The other two will probably be a month, and might not even make it, so I may be risking them.

My heart tells me Wonderstruck>KofSD>TFP>GCR>Suburbicon, but my wallet is saying Suburbicon>*WAIT*>TFP>Wonderstruck>KofSD>GCR.

Re-Watching Django Unchained, was it insinuated Leonardo DiCaprio was banging his sister? lol
They certainly are quite close for siblings, that's for sure.

Anyway, managed to get in a double feature today, from director Abel Ferrera!

Body Snatchers: Part 1 of an Abel Ferrera duology. One of the most versatile sci-fi/horror stories gets its big 90s makeover, and not surprisingly, little is lost in the adaptation. Ferrera here takes things in a more intimate direction than previous adaptations, though hardly unsurprising given most of his output. The huge shift from a town/city setting to a military base does a nice job of changing up the scale of the invasion, here feeling more like a genuine genesis than one already in progress, and moving away from the usual scientist protagonist to a teenage girl already at her wit's end (nicely played by Gabrielle Anwar) does a lot to change the effect of the scenes that you know will be represented. It does a nice job of borrowing elements from the previous filmed adaptations while adding a lot of its own, even with something as simple making the core group of survivors related by family that alters the dynamic whenever their appointed hour arrives. It's a very moody film, less concerned with showing effects-driven pandemonium and more on the creeping danger of inevitability as the pod people carry out their plans, with Ferrera staging some really effective moments (the daycare scene being a particularly striking one), and while it makes as big of changes as it does, it's still very faithful to the tone of the story. If it falters, it's in the ending, as it feels like one that came out of compromise to give the studio something less downbeat and something more punchy that seems at odds with the rest of the film, and there is one truly abominable special effect that ruins the impact of an otherwise brave and daring moment that really could have landed harder had it had the budget to pull it off properly. Of the three adaptations I've seen, this ranks at the bottom, but that's hardly a condemnation: this is a good film with a lot going for it, and the shift in focus here does a great job of giving a familiar story new perspective.

The Addiction: Part 2 of an Abel Ferrera duology. Very stylish, very smart and very, very talky, this film puts on a refreshing and original spin on vampirism that goes beyond the obvious implications of the title, centering around a healthy heap of philosophical debate as our heroine of sorts copes with the changes in her new life. While it is very heavy on dialogue, Ferrera does not skip on the atmosphere and the horrors that come with the territory, and the film's visual palette does recall quite a bit of the old classics from the 30s, even beyond the decision to go with black & white. Anchoring the film is a rather terrific performance from Lili Taylor as Kathleen, who manages to deliver the tricky dialogue in a credible way while giving a sometimes too convincing physical performance as a woman having to swing wildly from pained withdrawal to measured patience while she has her next victim in her grasp. Her conflict, that she's not entirely on board with her newfound status as one of the vaunted undead, is a rather fascinating take that doesn't rely very much on the usual "woe is me" trope that a lot of vampire films are known for, making it feel quite realistic in spite of the stylistic touches for both the visuals and the dialogue: instead of being told they suffer at every turn, the film just straight up shows it and is all the better for it. Though the star, Taylor gets a lot of help from a surprisingly stacked cast, though it's hard for anyone to compare to Christopher Walken in this, who damn near steals the entire film as a kind of abstinent vampire with some worthwhile advice for Kathleen. I was really pleased with how well this was able to execute on its premise, and even though it can overwhelm you with the barrage of philosophical debates and the occasional photograph of real-life atrocities, it goes down far smoother than one might expect. Top shelf as far as I'm concerned, and one that I see myself coming back to before long.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
th

Wheelman: This was great. Grillo is fantastic. Super slick, great performance. This is basically the action version of Locke. Grillo is underrated. Feel bad for him actually.

th

I dont feel at home this world anymore: Also fantastic. Lead actors are amazing. Elijah Wood needs more movies like this. It walks a fine line of comedy and serious until the end where you get hit with just a wave of shit.

Netflix certainly making interesting movies.

OP
OP
Flow

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
I don't feel at home in this world anymore is one of my favorites this year. one of the better netflix originals too. people keep sleeping on it thanks to all the netflix shows overshadowing it.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't feel at home in this world anymore is one of my favorites this year. one of the better netflix originals too. people keep sleeping on it thanks to all the netflix shows overshadowing it.
Damn shame, but also i have no idea on the behind the scenes. Might not have existed ever if Netflix didnt do its thing so who knows. But yeah, Netflix is like a movie factory right now and i am really interested in what their viewing numbers are like. There is only so much space on the home page.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone catch The Square yet? Force Majeure was one of my favorite films in recent memory, so I'm very excited. Might try to see it this weekend if I have time.
I think it's a great movie, though opinions among people I talked with about the film seem fairly split. Many found the somewhat unorthodox structure of the film totally unappealing (there is something you can call the main plotline that forms the narrative axis around which the film revolves, but it mostly plays as a series of sketches surrounding common themes).

I do think one of the scenes is among the funniest scenes I have ever seen in any movie, I literally burst out laughing so hard my wife thought it was inconsiderate to other members of the audience, hah.

Kazaam

Oct 26, 2017
London
Anyone catch The Square yet? Force Majeure was one of my favorite films in recent memory, so I'm very excited.

I would temper my expectations. It's not a bad film by any means, but it's not Force Majeure and it doesn't rise to the promise and expectations left by that film. It starts great, but it progressively falters to the point of dragging like a pointless slug. It can also reach at times overly moralistic tones when it forgets its satire roots and approaches themes with all the subtlety of a boot to the face. But again, it's not a bad film, it's better than a lot of things out there, just don't expect something as tight and balanced as Force Majeure. Some scenes are absolutely brilliant and it's also interesting to see him experiment stylistically, even though it's at the expense of consistency.
It had one of the greatest, albeit short, sex scenes in recent memory... I don't remember seeing a sex scene shot like that. It was hilariously uncomfortable and real at the same time
The way he approaches certain scenes combined with the use of music can remind at times of Sorrentino (but don't worry... that's just a rare feeling you can shrug off).
I'll maybe write later a more in depth review, but I do want to write first about a few smaller films that I think need to be more in the spotlight.

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
They certainly are quite close for siblings, that's for sure.

Anyway, managed to get in a double feature today, from director Abel Ferrera!

Body Snatchers: Part 1 of an Abel Ferrera duology. One of the most versatile sci-fi/horror stories gets its big 90s makeover, and not surprisingly, little is lost in the adaptation. Ferrera here takes things in a more intimate direction than previous adaptations, though hardly unsurprising given most of his output. The huge shift from a town/city setting to a military base does a nice job of changing up the scale of the invasion, here feeling more like a genuine genesis than one already in progress, and moving away from the usual scientist protagonist to a teenage girl already at her wit's end (nicely played by Gabrielle Anwar) does a lot to change the effect of the scenes that you know will be represented. It does a nice job of borrowing elements from the previous filmed adaptations while adding a lot of its own, even with something as simple making the core group of survivors related by family that alters the dynamic whenever their appointed hour arrives. It's a very moody film, less concerned with showing effects-driven pandemonium and more on the creeping danger of inevitability as the pod people carry out their plans, with Ferrera staging some really effective moments (the daycare scene being a particularly striking one), and while it makes as big of changes as it does, it's still very faithful to the tone of the story. If it falters, it's in the ending, as it feels like one that came out of compromise to give the studio something less downbeat and something more punchy that seems at odds with the rest of the film, and there is one truly abominable special effect that ruins the impact of an otherwise brave and daring moment that really could have landed harder had it had the budget to pull it off properly. Of the three adaptations I've seen, this ranks at the bottom, but that's hardly a condemnation: this is a good film with a lot going for it, and the shift in focus here does a great job of giving a familiar story new perspective.

The Addiction: Part 2 of an Abel Ferrera duology. Very stylish, very smart and very, very talky, this film puts on a refreshing and original spin on vampirism that goes beyond the obvious implications of the title, centering around a healthy heap of philosophical debate as our heroine of sorts copes with the changes in her new life. While it is very heavy on dialogue, Ferrera does not skip on the atmosphere and the horrors that come with the territory, and the film's visual palette does recall quite a bit of the old classics from the 30s, even beyond the decision to go with black & white. Anchoring the film is a rather terrific performance from Lili Taylor as Kathleen, who manages to deliver the tricky dialogue in a credible way while giving a sometimes too convincing physical performance as a woman having to swing wildly from pained withdrawal to measured patience while she has her next victim in her grasp. Her conflict, that she's not entirely on board with her newfound status as one of the vaunted undead, is a rather fascinating take that doesn't rely very much on the usual "woe is me" trope that a lot of vampire films are known for, making it feel quite realistic in spite of the stylistic touches for both the visuals and the dialogue: instead of being told they suffer at every turn, the film just straight up shows it and is all the better for it. Though the star, Taylor gets a lot of help from a surprisingly stacked cast, though it's hard for anyone to compare to Christopher Walken in this, who damn near steals the entire film as a kind of abstinent vampire with some worthwhile advice for Kathleen. I was really pleased with how well this was able to execute on its premise, and even though it can overwhelm you with the barrage of philosophical debates and the occasional photograph of real-life atrocities, it goes down far smoother than one might expect. Top shelf as far as I'm concerned, and one that I see myself coming back to before long.

Hey...thats the guy that did Driller Killer. I am definitely checking out more of his work because DK was pretty damn good.

kaospilot

Oct 25, 2017
I was surprised when I found out The Snowman was meant to be so bad, from the one trailer I saw, I thought it might be alright.

I'm going to see The Shining on Halloween night, really looking forward to it. It's been a while since I've seen it and I've never seen it on the big screen.

CUD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw Poltergeist for the first time at the cinemas. A lot more humour than I was expecting and less scary too but still plenty of tense moments. I much prefer older films like this that aren't full of jump scares. Overall I really enjoyed the film.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont feel at home this world anymore: Also fantastic. Lead actors are amazing. Elijah Wood needs more movies like this. It walks a fine line of comedy and serious until the end where you get hit with just a wave of shit.

Oh man, I forgot I saw this movie. I don't think I wrote about it yet, but yeah it grew on me over time. At first I was very lukewarm on it, felt unfocused on its tone, but at the same time I find myself kind of "getting" it more and more and the relationship of the characters felt incredibly natural. Melanie Lynske's character is someone I found myself relating too quite a bit, wonderful performance.

And I tip my hat to Macon Blair for a solid first film. You can see the influence from the Jeremy Saulnier movies he was in (Green Room/Blue Ruin).

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
wait what! there is a 4k version? noice
A batch of US version came with wrong bonus content disc, then it promptly went out of print. So I nabbed the superior UK version with better content (it also came with a tiny artbook), but I couldn't redeem its digital copy code.

I gave it a quick spin to Leon's VK test, it looked phenomenal.

ohkay

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I need to get around to picking up a 4K bluray player...and then a copy of 4K Blade Runner

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Night of the Demon (1957)

Absolutely loved this classic British horror, from the same director that gave us Cat People so the black and white cinematography is truly on-point. I mean, this is a gorgeously shot film, up there with the likes of The Spiral Staircase, only a good ten years later. So it feels very old-school as a result, almost in between something from the 1940s and what Hammer Horror would put out there as it deals direct with satanism and cults.

It's also about a cursed piece of paper. Sounds a little dumb, sure, but the mystery it slowly reveals is well told and plotted, though I disagree with a reveal early on that shows a little too much (and apparently the director was against it as well). It takes a little away from that finale.
Like, if the entire movie was about the occult and the mystery, and you wonder if its real or not, and then at the end it literally has satan show up, that would have been one of the biggest final second twists in movie history. I mean, the dude is mangled like a doll by a 50 foot demon, pretty shocking for 1957.

Dimiskont

Oct 25, 2017
Hello to all. First time posting here and I hope that you will forgive me for not answering the questionnaire but I really lack the ability to pick specific preferences.
Still I really like Italian cinema (Pasolini, Bertolucci), Japanese (Kurosawa, Kobayashi) and Russian cinema (Eisenstein, Kalatozov).

Meyerowitz Stories
I enjoyed this little dramedy. Somewhat lightweight but the good acting and witty dialogue really makes it enjoyable. Adam Sandler acted unexpectedly well and the cinematography was really sweet.
Jean deserved more screen time though.

Boy eating the bird's food
I decided to delve more into my country's cinema but boy this was a hard watch. Not because this was a boring film. Actually the director managed to overcome the tiny budget focusing
on the main actor's great physical acting and the film has an intensity that easily immerses the viewer. It reminds me somewhat the Dardenne brothers' films in its sparse, minimal storytelling and
the way the camera follows closely the main character wandering through the city.
It is a very bleak film taking place in a financially stricken country and portraying a destitute man who constantly tries to overcome his hunger and keep his bird alive.
It strikes a little too close to home for many Greeks who the last years have seen their lives take a turn for the worst.
The film can be bit too abstract and there is a tendency by the filmmaker to extract some shocked reactions by the audience but it is an interesting
recommendation for those interesting in the global arthouse cinema.

Oct 27, 2017
Hello FilmEra!

1. Favorite movie?

Talk to Her.

2. Favorite director?

Almodovar.

3. Favorite actor?

Philip Seymour Hoffman.

4. Favorite genre?

All of them.

5. Favorite performance?

Philip Seymour Hoffman in The Savages.

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017

Contempt is ok, too.
Contempt and Le Fou are so good to me. I'm a bit of a stan though. Band of Outsiders is even pretty damn good to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.