• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Modern SE doesn't like anthropomorphs, so I'm not counting on Red XIII even being present at all.

I'll be pleased to find out I'm just being paranoid.
Not that there was a doubt in my mind, but Kitase already confirmed him to be in the first game, so I wouldn't worry!
Them not wanting to do the work on Red doesn't really hold weight because surely it'll be less work for them to do for part 2, so they might as well do it now
While that's true, Part 1 is probably going to be the hardest one to develop considering they had to lay down the foundations for about everything: many assets, animations, designs, systems, visual effects... as well as getting used to UE4.

Of course, for future releases, they'll still have to accomodate the game for an overworld, create a shitton of new assets for the new locations (most widely different from Midgar and the reactors) and design a battle system for 3 or 4 playable characters, so I don't expect the development time to be dramatically shorter, but hey.

Essentially, I could see them treating Red XIII as being playable as a necessary "sacrifice" to actually get the game out as soon as possible, especially considering how "expendable" he is for the Midgar portion (unless they heavily expand on the Shinra HQ post-Red XIII breakout). Having him be a non-playable support character would, I guess, speed things up (but only if they only have a very barebones character in him, with not many combo/skills variety).

They already had problems with the whole "moving in-house" deal in 2017, so I'd imagine they're eager to get this out asap, dunno.
Oh, look what else was datamined!

Screenshot_20200101-232659_Messenger.jpg
Can't fucking wait to see him. Hands down one of my favourite FF characters ever. Such a good boy.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Not having him in the Shinra building would be require major changes that people would not be comfortable with I'm guessing but yeah, him showing up right at the end would make you wonder if he shows up in this part. I think he makes it in though
I don't think anybody is saying Red won't show up at all. It's just some people are not expecting him to be as full-fledged playable characters as the the rest of the party members. I think people are expecting Red to be either guest character, or playable character with fewer depth compared to the rest of the party members in terms of skills/weapons/etc.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
It is kind of wild to me how poorly handled this entire thing has been so far, to not even be acknowledge as something that exists, let alone anything else. That this will be thoroughly picked apart by the time they even announce it is absurd and makes them seem completely out of touch with what their audience is capable of.

But I am super excited to play it, of course.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
It is kind of wild to me how poorly handled this entire thing has been so far, to not even be acknowledge as something that exists, let alone anything else. That this will be thoroughly picked apart by the time they even announce it is absurd and makes them seem completely out of touch with what their audience is capable of.

But I am super excited to play it, of course.
I was going to say that it's probably due it being holidays and all of that, but videogame companies (S-E particularly) can be especially tone-deaf when it comes to stuff like this. What I'm sure of is of S-E being pissed, Nomura specifically going by his reaction to KH3 being leaked in 2018.

playable character with fewer depth compared to the rest of the party members in terms of skills/weapons/etc.
Yeah, if he's in the game as a playable character, I don't expect him to be any other than this,. Maybe a couple of weapons and a few skills here and there, but I can see a big overhaul in his character come Part 2. A little taste.
Please call him Nanaki. This is very important.
I usually do, but most people calling him Red XIII in this forum has gotten to me. I feel bad now :_

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tornak if you look at my previous posts you'll see that

Red has the same type of code as the rest of the party which is pretty telling that he'll be playable but only for a little due to him only having one weapon.

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More good signs towards Red being playable:

Screenshot_20200101-234912_Discord.jpg

Screenshot_20200101-235514_Discord.jpg

Red and the party's weapons have the same code but Avalanche's have a different code.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Tornak if you look at my previous posts you'll see that

Red has the same type of code as the rest of the party which is pretty telling that he'll be playable but only for a little due to him only having one weapon.
Oh, shit, somehow missed that. With that and your latest posts (thank you for bringing them btw!), it does bode very well indeed.

Tbh, I'd always been on the playable camp, but the last month or so I've veered more towards the NPC supporting character one even if I was mostly guided by marketing (or his lack thereof so -relatively- close to the game's launch, especially considering how consistent S-E has been with trailers and new coverage).

It wouldn't have been a dealbreaker for me even if he's a favourite of mine, but this does make me very happy if so. Controlling him is going to be a joy, he needs to be fast as fuck.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
So how high are the chances that this game will go beyond midgar? I wouldn't be mad if the game ends in the area the first disk ends with in the original game.

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, shit, somehow missed that. With that and your latest posts (thank you for bringing them btw), it does bode very well!

Tbh, I'd always been on the playable camp, but the last month or so I've veered more towards the NPC supporting character one even if I was mostly guided by marketing (or his lack thereof so -relatively- close to the game's launch, especially considering how consistent S-E has been with trailers and new coverage).

It wouldn't have been a dealbreaker for me even if he's a favourite of mine, but this does make me very happy if so. Controlling him is going to be a joy, he needs to be fast as fuck.

Yeah I was the same these last few months but this has really brought my hype back. Red is my favourite character in 7 so it wouldn't have felt right without him.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Not really shocked that Red is playable. The internet has a tendency to overreact when things are not shown right away.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
There is a lot of stuff being datamined from the Demo about the full game now folks, if you want to be blind to all the new things in the remake I suggest you stay away from these threads and anything FF related from now on.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Seeing the final part of the demo in context just now really sells what they are going for with
the bomb explosion. subverting the audiences expectations of the explosion and making shinra even more heinous an entity by having Heidegger himself give the command really puts it into perspective that these dudes are the baddies

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
Seeing the final part of the demo in context just now really sells what they are going for with
the bomb explosion. subverting the audiences expectations of the explosion and making shinra even more heinous an entity by having Heidegger himself give the command really puts it into perspective that these dudes are the baddies

I agree. Heidegger almost seemed surprised when Shinra confirmed he should finish the job.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People gonna be in for a shock when Red XIII turns out to be Lightning in a red wig.

Spikemouth

Nov 30, 2018
I can't wait to play a small portion of the game and then wait many years for the next small portion to be released... ;)

Although, I am concerned that part 1 is being released on PS4, months before PS5 is released. Say this does take another 4 years or so to fully complete the entire game, will these other parts still be released on PS4? I would like to hope that Square Enix is preparing FF7 Remake to also be a launch title on PS5.

All jokes aside, I do in fact look forward to the demo and the game to be released. No matter how long it took or will take to complete, I'm extremely appreciative that Square Enix and the developers would put this much effort into this remake. They didn't have to do this for us, so I'm extremely grateful that they are.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I think more moral ambiguity is better. Until Reactor 5 it's better to keep Shinra's true evilness hidden so that you question Avalanche's morality more. Avalanche is committing acts of terror that are killing innocent people for some unproven belief that using mako is bad for the planet. You don't get perspective on how Shinra really is until he meets you at reactor 5, and then later when he orders the Sector 7 plate destroyed. Making Shinra cartoonishly evil too soon kinda diminishes the buildup to the plate drop.

Looking over the dialog, what President Shinra says at Reactor 5 may hint that Shinra was blowing up his own reactors to try and destroy Avalanche.

Barret
Don't give a damn 'bout none of that! This place's goin' up with a big BANG soon! Serves y'all right!

President Shinra
And such a waste of good fireworks, just to get rid of vermin like you...

Barret
VERMIN!? That's all you can say... VERMIN! Y'all Shinra're the VERMIN, killing the planet! And that makes you King VERMIN! So shu'up jackass!

This makes it sound like Shinra set the reactor to explode. He does come out of the reactor after the party leaves. If this was the case, I think it best to save the reveal for Reactor 5.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Say this does take another 4 years or so to fully complete the entire game, will these other parts still be released on PS4?
I think the chances of Part 2 getting a PS4 version are very slim. I think Square will want to make full use of the power of next-gen consoles to avoid compromising on the open-world aspect that will be introduced in part 2. SSDs and much more powerful processors will make a huge difference.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I think more moral ambiguity is better. Until Reactor 5 it's better to keep Shinra's true evilness hidden so that you question Avalanche's morality more. Avalanche is committing acts of terror that are killing innocent people for some unproven belief that using mako is bad for the planet. You don't get perspective on how Shinra really is until he meets you at reactor 5, and then later when he orders the Sector 7 plate destroyed. Making Shinra cartoonishly evil too soon kinda diminishes the buildup to the plate drop.

Looking over the dialog, what President Shinra says at Reactor 5 may hint that Shinra was blowing up his own reactors to try and destroy Avalanche.

Barret
Don't give a damn 'bout none of that! This place's goin' up with a big BANG soon! Serves y'all right!

President Shinra
And such a waste of good fireworks, just to get rid of vermin like you...

Barret
VERMIN!? That's all you can say... VERMIN! Y'all Shinra're the VERMIN, killing the planet! And that makes you King VERMIN! So shu'up jackass!

This makes it sound like Shinra set the reactor to explode. He does come out of the reactor after the party leaves. If this was the case, I think it best to save the reveal for Reactor 5.

i think everyone knows that what shinra are doing isnt "good" at the very beginning. if your trying to sell them to be evil enough to drop an entire sector of their own civilians just to kill a few rebels, its gonna have to be expanded on, and i think this shows that well

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
P
I can't wait to play a small portion of the game and then wait many years for the next small portion to be released... ;)

Although, I am concerned that part 1 is being released on PS4, months before PS5 is released. Say this does take another 4 years or so to fully complete the entire game, will these other parts still be released on PS4? I would like to hope that Square Enix is preparing FF7 Remake to also be a launch title on PS5.

All jokes aside, I do in fact look forward to the demo and the game to be released. No matter how long it took or will take to complete, I'm extremely appreciative that Square Enix and the developers would put this much effort into this remake. They didn't have to do this for us, so I'm extremely grateful that they are.

presumably part 1 will get some sort of ps5 port, probably when it launches for the pc and series x as well

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Please call him Nanaki. This is very important.
This bothered me in the game as a kid. It's going to bother me even more in the remake. "Well I have a name, I'm capable of sharing it with you, it's easily pronounced and it's part of my identity... But that weird guy that wanted me to fuck a Cetra called me Red XIII so why don't you just do that too?"

Speaking of, I'm sorry for the purists that will be let down when the game doesn't imply it was a dog to get jiggy with a girl. I'm sure it will harm the narrative.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Dont have screenshot but Rufus has assets referring to 'right gun' and 'left gun'

Basically Dante in a lab coat 👍