• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I didn't follow Resident Evil 2's release at the the time. Did people compare every little detail to the original game too?

not to this degree....the changes of RE2's story and such were kind of diffrent though. I understand people pulling their hair out because the story of the original is beloved whereas RE2's story isnt really the reason people like it.

At the same time, we dont have all t he information and how the story is being portrayd in the remake, so we should wait and not freak out before we have all the context of things.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shout out to Emerald in the FF server for pointing this out. This could prove Red is a party member!

So in the demo files the party is listed by the code WE000_ with the last number being their slot in the party. Cloud is 00, Barrett is 01, Tifa is 02, Aerith is 03 and Red is 04. Surely if he's got the same numbering pattern as the others and naturally follows on from Aerith (who joins the party before Red) then that means he's playable, right?

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Shout out to Emerald in the FF server for pointing this out. This could prove Red is a party member!

So in the demo files the party is listed by the code WE000_ with the last number being their slot in the party. Cloud is 00, Barrett is 01, Tifa is 02, Aerith is 03 and Red is 04. Surely if he's got the same numbering pattern as the others and naturally follows on from Aerith (who joins the party before Red) then that means he's playable, right?

I believe it!

Red is my favourite character, I don't want to wait another decade. 😔

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't follow Resident Evil 2's release at the time. Did people compare every little detail to the original game too?

No but you should have seen when people found out about the Remake not having spiders or plants. People really acted like it would be the worst game ever at the time.

Frunkle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are the odds that we get Yuffie in Midgar? Considering they're tying Wutai in with Avalanche.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are the odds that we get Yuffie in Midgar? Considering they're tying Wutai in with Avalanche.
If they were smart, they would use this as a way to tie her into the story in a more 'official' way. She doesn't have to join the party but have her fuck with the party a bit and then meet her again in part 2 where she joins them for real.

Samawati

Sep 15, 2019
I think there might be oblique mentions of her (e.g. the princess of Wutai, or maybe some idiot bandit hanging around outside the city environs) in the same way we may hear about the failed space programme, but I doubt we'll actually see her.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't bet on Yuffie being in Midgard... Well, she might be, but not playable. However, mentions to her and an early appearance wouldn't be so surprising. Heck, if there is one city where a materia-thief would go, I bet it would be Midgard. Would be more logical to encounter there trying to steal materias than in a random forest out of nowhere.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
The silence from SE is pretty weird, you think you'd at least want to give a demo release date
Demo has leaked. Nothing like this was ever planned by SE.

They probably wanted to time the demo for mid-February, to get maximum marketing and social coverage before the release of the game. Same as Capcom, who has released RE2Remake demo few weeks before the full game launched.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Demo has leaked. Nothing like this was ever planned by SE.

They probably wanted to time the demo for mid-February, to get maximum marketing and social coverage before the release of the game. Same as Capcom, who has released RE2Remake demo few weeks before the full game launched.
No I know it wasn't planned for it to leak, but since it has I was thinking like, damn get something up on Twitter at least, demo releases next week or something. But, maybe they had a lot of marketing materials and a big push prepared for the demo so they end up holding off anyways so it doesn't go to waste. Hell, maybe it's not even the finalized version for all we know. I just felt like the executives are probably making damn good money, for there to be no acknowledgment looks bad on their part, they haven't even mentioned the demo exists yet when people have played the whole thing.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I could see a Japanese writing team not quite grasping what would be controversial or not in the States (most Americans can't quite figure that out) - so they might have pulled away from that in a post- 9/11 America. However, in the original - Shinra had those intentions and did that with the plate fall, so the remake is just laying the foundtion for that earlier.

Also, in the original - Jesse does remark that she doesn't understand why the explosion was so big, saying that she "maybe made a miscalculation somewhere" - the game never really follows up with this. The remake, consequently, is basically saying that Jesse's bomb was fine, but the larger explosion ended up happening because Shinra wanted it to be more destructive.
Those are both valid points. I think there's something interesting about the explosion's size being Avalanche's mistake because it leads to interesting questions about blame and justification, but I agree that the original game only vaguely follows up on this thread, so this change isnt necessarily unacceptable. I'm mostly just skeptical because of SE's track record with reinterpreting FFVII.

Eh, I don't really like the physical ghosts that much, but Aerith is a Cetra and always knew more than she let on. She can hear the voices of the planet and sense spirits.

FF7 flashback to when Aerith was a child shortly after getting adopted by Elmyra:

Aeris
Mom. Please don't cry.

Elmyra
Aeris just blurted that out all of a sudden. When I asked her if something happened...

Aeris
Someone dear to you has just died. His spirit was coming to see you, but he already returned to the planet.

Elmyra
At that time I didn't believe her. But... Several days later... We received a notice saying my husband died... ...and that's how it was. A lot had happened, but we were happy. Until one day...

and when Tseng comes to take Aerith:

Tseng
But Aeris, surely you hear voices sometimes when you're all alone?

Aeris
No, I don't!

Elmyra
But I knew. I knew about her mysterious powers...
She tried so hard to hide it, so I acted as though I never noticed.

After rescuing Aerith from Hojo:

Cloud
...Speak with the Planet?

Tifa
Just what does the Planet say?

Aeris
It's full of people and noisy. That's why I can't make out what they are saying.

Cloud
You hear it now?

Aeris
I, I only heard it at the Church in the Slums. Mother said that Midgar was no longer safe. That is... my real mother. Someday I'll get out of Midgar... Speak with the Planet and find my Promised Land. ...That's what mom said. I thought I would stop hearing her voice as I grew up, but...

As for the intro to this demo, the voices she is hearing are chanting One Winged Angel. It could be a symptom of Sephiroth taking over the Lifestream or his followers beginning reunion, his voice in the Lifestream is becoming clearer and more dominant. Aerith would sense that.
What I like about Aeris in the original game though is how deliberately she seems to come across as a weirdo that hears voices. She's carrying around a materia that her mom gave to her but it doesnt even do anything, she hears voices when no one is around, and the only "power" she seems to have that makes her different from other people is that she can get flowers to grow in the church. It would have been so easy to make her an explicitly glowing magical girl with the fate of the world in her hands and I really like that they didnt.

It's the same reason I dont like that in a recent trailer Barret dramatically talks to Cloud about the planet "crying out"

The original game is very deliberate about making the plot threads about the ancients and the planet being alive this sort of underpinning that then, once you get to Cosmo Canyon, gets given new context and becomes something else entirely.

Deleted member 56266

Banned
Apr 25, 2019

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of Red being playable, this is a pretty good sign he will be;

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Remaking the Midgar portion of FF7 and not having Red Playable is just about the dumbest thing I can imagine. No way in hell he isn't playable lol.
I always said that if you are going to make this game JUST about the Midgar portion, at the very least, you better hit every beat in the original. You could re-arrange the beats or add MORE beats (I EXPECT there to be more beats given that you SHOULD be doing more in Midgar), but the original beats BETTER be there because there' s no excuse NOT to have them.

Last edited:

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
What I like about Aeris in the original game though is how deliberately she seems to come across as a weirdo that hears voices. She's carrying around a materia that her mom gave to her but it doesnt even do anything, she hears voices when no one is around, and the only "power" she seems to have that makes her different from other people is that she can get flowers to grow in the church. It would have been so easy to make her an explicitly glowing magical girl with the fate of the world in her hands and I really like that they didnt.

It's the same reason I dont like that in a recent trailer Barret dramatically talks to Cloud about the planet "crying out"

The original game is very deliberate about making the plot threads about the ancients and the planet being alive this sort of underpinning that then, once you get to Cosmo Canyon, gets given new context and becomes something else entirely.
Eh, no, they explicitly say Aerith can hear the voices and see ghosts in Midgar. And she makes it clear she's aware of her people and the magical destiny she has to go to North Crater.

Barret is talking shit. He always led Avalanche like an evangelist leading a cult. He can't actually hear the voices and saving the planet is just an excuse to enact his revenge on Shinra for destroying Corel.

Remember that the original Avalanche was formed by people from Cosmo Canyon who tried to hear the voices of the planet:

Barret
There was this guy who studied 'Planetary Life' here. He couldn't take things the way they were, so he went to Midgar to form AVALANCHE. Wanna hear more?

Cloud
- Go on

Barret
Guess you could say this is where AVALANCHE was born. I always wanted to come here... And... I finally...... made it. A lot... happened...

Barret is a wannabe hippy who wants to believe this stuff so he doesn't feel guilty about killing innocent people.

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reason people think we won't get Red in this part? You got him in Midgar in the original...

Mainly because he'll show up right at the end and some people think SE won't bother making him playable for the end of part 1 but I disagree with that. At this point there's more evidence proving he'll be playable.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
im not judging the story changes without seeing the whole picture and how it will be connected together.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a reason people think we won't get Red in this part? You got him in Midgar in the original...
I think people are thinking this way due to several factors

1. In the original Red is at the end part of Midgar section. It would be too late to have him as full-fledged member if he will be used only at the very end. It make sense for dev's point of view to not put as much resource into a character that will barely be playable in the entire game compared to the rest of full-fledged party members.
2. They haven't shown Red in any promotional material so far. Even pre-release preview book that is coming out on Feburary in Japan has this as it's cover
EMORItBUEAApyEv

Ser_Luke

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 30, 2019
Mainly because he'll show up right at the end and some people think SE won't bother making him playable for the end of part 1 but I disagree with that. At this point there's more evidence proving he'll be playable.
Seems like they are assuming that's the end and there won't be post game content after the end or added content that wasn't in the original before leaving Midgard.

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Them not wanting to do the work on Red doesn't really hold weight because surely it'll be less work for them to do it for part 2, so they might as well do it now

EDIT: Also he's not in the marketing because he hasn't been revealed yet. Why would they just reveal Red on a Japanese book cover lmao

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
There'll be some kind of post game content so it doesn't really matter how close to the end they add another party member. And they need to do that work eventually anyway so may as well do it now.

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada
I think people are thinking this way due to several factors

1. In the original Red is at the end part of Midgar section. It would be too late to have him as full-fledged member if he will be used only at the very end. It make sense for dev's point of view to not put as much resource into a character that will barely be playable in the entire game compared to the rest of full-fledged party members.
2. They haven't shown Red in any promotional material so far. Even pre-release preview book that is coming out on Feburary in Japan has this as it's cover
EMORItBUEAApyEv
Not having him in the Shinra building would be require major changes that people would not be comfortable with I'm guessing but yeah, him showing up right at the end would make you wonder if he shows up in this part. I think he makes it in though