• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
Qj24HYu.png

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Imagine calling people childish for having a valid conversation about the footage and not about the people constantly complaining about the tone of a conversation not matching up with what they would prefer.

Im calling an attitude childish for acting overdramatic over something outside of context of the game. If you play the game and it doesnt make sense with the rest of the changes, and one complains about it. that's fine.

But if people are falling over themselves at such an early stage before the game is even out just because of leaks from a demo that they havent even played, that's a problem

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Barret is overplaying it. I gave them the benefit of the doubt for the way they changed his skin colour (which turned out to be true) but the acting is really too much. What are they thinking?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Im calling an attitude childish for acting overdramatic over something outside of context of the game. If you play the game and it doesnt make sense with the rest of the changes, and one complains about it. that's fine.

But if people are falling over themselves at such an early stage before the game isnt even out just because of leaks from a demo that they havent even played, that's a problem
The only thing thats childish was your own post bemoaning anyone having a critical comversation about plot points we know about that were changed. No one was being over dramatic. At all. If you think saying "i think this is a bad change and undermines a lot of the moral ambiguity of their actions" is over dramatic then youre in for a very long year of over dramatic posts about this game.

People are allowed to dissect this without scrutiny and without having to be told theyre children because people like you don't like that theyre talkong about the footage in a particular way. Not to mention having that conversation does not preclude them from changing their mind if the actual outcome is done justice by the final release.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I'm not a huge fan of the change in concept, but it's also not that bad.

AVALANCHE is still an ecoterrorist organization trying to bomb facilities that have innocents in them. My understanding is that Shinra now makes the explosioan worse, which is really just an extension of their plan to demonize AVALANCHE in the original.

It does take some edge from AVALANCHE, but not that much, IMO.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yea I know lol. I hope they make it unskippable like the original lol

well I don't think summon cutscenes will be as long as they are now different

you have a scene of them entering the battlefield, then they stay and help fight for a while and then end with a big attack. I dunno how KotR will workin this manner tho

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
One of the first things you can do in Tifa's bar is talk to Jesse and she's distraught and wondering if she made the bomb the wrong way because of the destruction...there are multiple convos throughout the game about whether the ends justify the means and Barret specifically gets called out for the bombing later in the narrative when he's grandstanding about Shinra.

It's always best not to take the "bite" out of a narrative.

That narrative may not even be there anymore or it's been changed so drastically that this would fit in more naturally or there's build up via a different way.

I highly agree with you, I've always thought it this way. Imagine in the Prequels if Lucas brought in Nickelback as a friend of Anakin and became a sithlord that shouted out rhymes and poetry every scene he was in.

Genesis wasn't really Nomura's idea.

Genesis was Hideki Imaizumi's idea after collaborating with Gackt after he sang Dirge of Cerberus' theme song.

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
Oh you can download it directly on the PS4 if you use some homebrew store app. Guess I'll try that. Will report back

DrewM1788

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I haven't watched the videos and I won't since I want to play the demo for myself, but I really don't understand how this change is a big deal right now. Avalanche is still a terrorist organization. They still went there with the intent to blow up the reactor, and they knew that innocent people could potentially die as a result. Shinra making the bombing even worse doesn't take away any of the moral ambiguity especially considering Avalanche doesn't know that they meddled. This change is going to be put into better context later as well in setting up the Wutai conflict. I love that the remake is expanding on various things. This "change" is barely even a change to me. I guess maybe I'll feel different after playing the demo myself. We will see.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
There are some more stuff out in the wild in terms of file folders (weapons, minigames, spells) it seems to be from a Reddit post that links to a twitter account. Don't know the legitimacy of it.

EDIT: I just put reddit post instead of linking the twitter so no one accidentally presses it, can be stuff from the full game in there. https://www.reddit.com/r/FFVIIRemake/comments/eimmik/friendly_warning_beware_of_the_calamity_demo/

- Aerith's last one is obscured, but it looks like there's six weapons per character, with four being in the original and two new ones. Based on the recent information above it sounds like there's a portion where Red is playable but there isn't much to do with him, if it follows the original the game will basically be over by time he joins so it makes sense.

- Happy to see Enemy Skill is still around.

- Seal Materia is cool because that's the Japanese name of the Materia that had Freeze/Break/Tornado/Flare in the original. I wasn't sure if we were going to see any of those spells so soon.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
God forbid people have a day off for a major holiday. I swear to god, y'all crow about people getting time off and reasonable hours but the moment something you want comes out you turn into entitled brats. It'll be fun when it actually comes out, looking forward to it.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
The only thing thats childish was your own post bemoaning anyone having a critical comversation about plot points we know about that were changed. No one was being over dramatic. At all. If you think saying "i think this is a bad change and undermines a lot of the moral ambiguity of their actions" is over dramatic then youre in for a very long year of over dramatic posts about this game.

People are allowed to dissect this without scrutiny and without having to be told theyre children because people like you don't like that theyre talkong about the footage in a particular way. Not to mention having that conversation does not preclude them from changing their mind if the actual outcome is done justice by the final release.

All i'm saying, is the people saying "FF7R is ruined" for one small change at the beginning of the game for something they have none of the context are silly.

I say to those people, your not gonna have a fun time if this is the response to a single change from the original, again, out of context of the rest.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
- Aerith's last one is obscured, but it looks like there's six weapons per character, with four being in the original and two new ones. Based on the recent information above it sounds like there's a portion where Red is playable but there isn't much to do with him, if it follows the original the game will basically be over by time he joins so it makes sense.

- Seal Materia is cool because that's the Japanese name of the Materia that had Freeze/Break/Tornado/Flare in the original. I wasn't sure if we were going to see any of those spells so soon.
Taking it with a huge grain of salt since anyone can create folders etc. All and all it looks good if they end up being true in the final release.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All i'm saying, is the people saying "FF7R is ruined" for one small change at the beginning of the game for something they have none of the context are silly.

I say to those people, your not gonna have a fun time if this is the response to a single change from the original, again, out of context of the rest.
Who said final fantasy 7 remake was ruined? Quote me that person.

Oct 27, 2017
Murfreesboro, TN

I think that

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't watched the videos and I won't since I want to play the demo for myself, but I really don't understand how this change is a big deal right now. Avalanche is still a terrorist organization. They still went there with the intent to blow up the reactor, and they knew that innocent people could potentially die as a result. Shinra making the bombing even worse doesn't take away any of the moral ambiguity especially considering Avalanche doesn't know that they meddled. This change is going to be out into better context later as well in setting up the Wutai conflict. I love that the remake is expanding on various things. This "change" is barely even a change to me. I guess maybe I'll feel different after playing the demo myself. We will see.

Avalanche aren't terrorists. And yes, it's a pretty big deal because the fallout sits squarely on Shinra's lap. It changes the way Avalanche is even supposed to be seen as because 1.It was an accident in the original that Barret said was a necessary cost to pay, 2.If we want to have something that Avalanche was unjustly blamed for, then there is the plate. The purpose right now is "Shinra bad, Avalanche good", which we already knew but at least leave the player the interpretation of whether or not Avalanche's actions were justified (which to me completely were justified and justifiable).

Maybe they will redeem this later but for now it's pretty baffling.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My original post was in response to someone saying "original >>>>>>>>>> remake" over the singular plot point they have no context of. Im not going to quote that person.
So no one actually said what your previous post stated was what you were calling out as childish and over dramatic, and you had to essentially make something up that no one actually said to prove that point? Who is acting childish and over dramatic again?

Great contribution. Apparently telling people not to make stuff up in order to call people childish is what really is childish.

DrewM1788

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Avalanche aren't terrorists. And yes, it's a pretty big deal because the fallout sits squarely on Shinra's lap. It changes the way Avalanche is even supposed to be seen as because 1.It was an accident in the original that Barret said was a necessary cost to pay, 2.If we want to have something that Avalanche was unjustly blamed for, then there is the plate. The purpose right now is "Shinra bad, Avalanche good", which we already knew but at least leave the player the interpretation of whether or not Avalanche's actions were justified (which to me completely were justified and justifiable).

Maybe they will redeem this later but for now it's pretty baffling.

I would hope you knew what I meant by calling Avalanche a terrorist organization. And we've already seen in the trailers that Barret has the same story beat and likely the same character arc. "You all gotta look at the bigger picture here. Nothing worth fighting for was ever won without sacrifice." At that moment, the bombing probably killed many, many innocent people and Barret is still arguing for it's justification. He's not showing doubt or questioning the explosion.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017

The folder names are using the Japanese names (like Hard Breaker instead of Hardedge) so I'm assuming that Seal is referring to the Japanese name instead of the English one. That said it's feasible to translate the Japanese names of both the Seal and Contain Materias as "Seal" though, especially if you're just a developer making folder/file names for internal use and don't need to make the nuances really clear, so there's a good chance you're right!

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
So no one actually said what your previous post stated was what you were calling out as childish and over dramatic, and you had to essentially make something up that no one actually said to prove that point? Who is acting childish and over dramatic again?

No, i am responding in general to posts being what i think is over-dramatic about this before the game is out, starting with the quote i just mentioned. No one said "FF7R is ruined", but i am responding to those few people i think are making similar sentiments. No i am not talking about anyone and everyone expressing concern or calling into question the change. Just those that i think are going overboard. if that is better clarification for you there you go. Maybe i didnt phrase it well enough and i apologize to those i unintentionally insulted. But that was the jist of my point

Mar 29, 2018

Great contribution. Apparently telling people not to make stuff up in order to call people childish is what really is childish.
NB not to future quote :)

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
At that point, you're already in the point of no return for Midgar so it makes sense
RedXIII maybe only having 1 weapon & not getting much play time makes me question how much of Midgar is really getting expanded. Obviously it makes sense in FF7, but remakes Midgar is suppose to be it's own game.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RedXIII maybe only having 1 weapon & not getting much play time makes me question how much of Midgar is really getting expanded. Obviously it makes sense in FF7, but remakes Midgar is suppose to be it's own game.
Most of the expansion is probably before the Shinra Tower, which will probably still be the final dungeon (along with the highway chase).

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Well he joins right as it ends so that makes a lot of sense to be fair. They'd have to change too much to have him come earlier

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty big change I've seen storywise
The bomb doesn't even do anything, it's president Shinra who actually follows through and destroys the reactor purposely

I'm not reading the spoiler but let me take a guess because there was one thing that stood out as really bizarre in this demo.

In the original game they make it clear the "good guys" are terrorists.

They don't have Shinra strangely order their machines to go berserk which spreads the blame of this catastrophe to the bad guys.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Shinra blowing up the reactor themselves seems like an attempt to shy away from placing responsibility on the protagonists for what is an act of terrorism (which, to be clear, I think is an interesting aspect of the original). It also seems like it'll soften the blow of the plate fall which will seem very expected if Shinra is already doing this sort of thing.

As for Aeris being haunted by supernatural beings, my main concern is that it turns her into a stereotypical magical princess of an ancient forgotten race. The fact that everything about Aeris seems so mundane in the original is part of what is so interesting about the world. If she starts glowing and exhibiting supernatural abilities it's going to change something fundamental about the world and its presentation.
Eh, I don't really like the physical ghosts that much, but Aerith is a Cetra and always knew more than she let on. She can hear the voices of the planet and sense spirits.

FF7 flashback to when Aerith was a child shortly after getting adopted by Elmyra:

Aeris
Mom. Please don't cry.

Elmyra
Aeris just blurted that out all of a sudden. When I asked her if something happened...

Aeris
Someone dear to you has just died. His spirit was coming to see you, but he already returned to the planet.

Elmyra
At that time I didn't believe her. But... Several days later... We received a notice saying my husband died... ...and that's how it was. A lot had happened, but we were happy. Until one day...

and when Tseng comes to take Aerith:

Tseng
But Aeris, surely you hear voices sometimes when you're all alone?

Aeris
No, I don't!

Elmyra
But I knew. I knew about her mysterious powers...
She tried so hard to hide it, so I acted as though I never noticed.

After rescuing Aerith from Hojo:

Cloud
...Speak with the Planet?

Tifa
Just what does the Planet say?

Aeris
It's full of people and noisy. That's why I can't make out what they are saying.

Cloud
You hear it now?

Aeris
I, I only heard it at the Church in the Slums. Mother said that Midgar was no longer safe. That is... my real mother. Someday I'll get out of Midgar... Speak with the Planet and find my Promised Land. ...That's what mom said. I thought I would stop hearing her voice as I grew up, but...

As for the intro to this demo, the voices she is hearing are chanting One Winged Angel. It could be a symptom of Sephiroth taking over the Lifestream or his followers beginning reunion, his voice in the Lifestream is becoming clearer and more dominant. Aerith would sense that.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god if this is a sign of how discourse over this game is gonna be, nitpicking every little thing, I don't know if I can do it

Y'all are only comparing this new plot point in the context of the original. We don't know what else remake is gonna do

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, well I've got a consistent speed finally going at around 2mb so its gonna take around 3 hours to finish. Don't expect anything from me until then or if someone else gets to it before then.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Comparing the game to the original is obviously inevitable but yeah..... It's doing it's own thing which was obvious awhile ago. I personally don't expect it to replace the og. It'll be great for different reasons.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't follow Resident Evil 2's release at the time. Did people compare every little detail to the original game too?