• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any thoughts about the parallel between Cloud figuratively creating new realities for himself in order to protect himself mentally/emotionally from people dying, and the "multiverse" of FF7R where new realities literally get created in order for people to carry on instead of dying (possibly for the audience's benefit)?

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the game finally and oh boy.

For me, my confusion about Aerith's fate kind of undersold the emotional impact of watching her death play out, along with the extended sequence of (admittedly cool) boss fights right after. Like I'd just been watching a friend of mine playing through OG FF7 for the first time and Aerith's death in that still has so much more weight to it even after all these years.

I'm not opposed to what they're doing in principle, I'm just a bit disappointed in the way the Aerith stuff in particular was presented.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
ed2CqbN.png

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
What if Jenova is second-guessing her choice in puppet. The fight at the end of Rebirth has her thinking damn my surrogate son has had his ass beat twice now, time to jump over to this Cetra girl.

Then in part 3 we have a creepy Jenova-possessed Aerith, rock-bottom redemption arc Sephiroth as he's been abandoned by his god and by humanity. Cloud, Zack + Sephiroth fight Jenova Aerith as the final boss.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
What if Jenova is second-guessing her choice in puppet. The fight at the end of Rebirth has her thinking damn my surrogate son has had his ass beat twice now, time to jump over to this Cetra girl.

Then in part 3 we have a creepy Jenova-possessed Aerith, rock-bottom redemption arc Sephiroth as he's been abandoned by his god and by humanity. Cloud, Zack + Sephiroth fight Jenova Aerith as the final boss.

I wouldn't expect this. They've gone at lengths since the original FF7 came out to say that Sephiroth was always in control and other shit and I wouldn't expect them to change that here, especially when it might undermine him.

Now her running interference for him more to fuck with the party? Yep, that's entirely her.

I expect she'll also be more at the forefront since otherwise she'd basically be MIA until the end of the game otherwise for the most part.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Gilgamesh VR mission has this great huge orchestral version of his Battle on a Big Bridge theme. How much money did they spend on music in this game? This alt track is just there in this very difficult and very optional post-game content. And you got to put in some real work and execution just to unlock its gauntlet and hear it.

View: https://youtu.be/Zrg63m_iu5A?si=VzsvAzfxcn9Re4qN

Any other game on this planet would have just brought back the already excellent prior version from the original fight, but not Rebirth. 1 in 100 players of this game might see this fight and they just went all out with it

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
I can see why someone would think it's Jenova in the ending cutscene but I just don't believe they'd do it *that* way.

Especially with Aerith standing there as her song starts to play and then giving a solemn "Goodbye…" to her friends.

It's Aeriths spirit at one with the lifestream and they just wanted a nicer parting to say goodbye than her pushing Cloud out of a timeline as Sephiroth walks in the door in the background to kill her.

Why does Aerith lead Cloud on? The same reason she gave him the Black Materia and said "whatever happens, I'm here for you." She knows she's enabling his delusion but that this point in time it's better for him than to try to break him with reality.

Also at that point, at one with the lifestream she probably knows that it's Tifas place to put him back together.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Seen a few people say that every thing Aerith says in the ending is a line she has already said. I agree she's acting very weird here and I absolutely understand the "she's acting like an AI emulating Aerith" vibe some people got. But I want to actually keep facts in check here. How many lines did she actually say?

The only one I definitely recognize is "And if I said I wasn't", in response to Cloud asking her if she's okay getting back. But her saying the same line to the same question isn't entirely out of reason for her. I don't recall her ever saying "It's like a second home to me", even though I feel like in my brain that's something she might have said about the church, I can't find her ever actually saying it.

Similarly, "I'll send up smoke" feels like an obvious reference to the mechanic with Cid but I don't recall her ever saying that before.

And I definitely don't think she's said the line about stopping meteor and putting everything she has into her prayers.

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also want to appreciate all the love and arrangements 'Price of Freedom' got in that last chapter. One of my favourite FF tracks that goes under the radar was finally able to escape Crisis Core.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
Anyone have any thoughts about the parallel between Cloud figuratively creating new realities for himself in order to protect himself mentally/emotionally from people dying, and the "multiverse" of FF7R where new realities literally get created in order for people to carry on instead of dying (possibly for the audience's benefit)?

They're letting the audience/Cloud down very slowly. Its not the hard reality of someone suddenly gone like the OG. It's more like they get to hang around and help you out for a while before helping you move on, a very slow goodbye.

Though Schroingersbabyseal pointed out that Terrier might be more Aerith's doing. On top of her talking about "her dream world", its basically Midgar (her home most of her life), except two people important to her are back: Zack obviously, but also Biggs, who she knew from the orphanage. Like she picked someone dead that was important to her, not someone important to Cloud, to help Zack out.

If Zack/Biggs back is Aerith's dream world, maybe Cloud's dream world is where he saved Aerith.

Nahbac

Nov 11, 2018
Also want to appreciate all the love and arrangements 'Price of Freedom' got in that last chapter. One of my favourite FF tracks that goes under the radar was finally able to escape Crisis Core.
Yes! It's finally been truly recognized as Zack's Theme and will hopefully see lots of use in part 3

TheMerv

Jan 1, 2022
So like the next game can't really start with a bunch of side questing and open region exploration with Cloud right? That would just be weird. I could definitely imagine a very uncanny snowboarding section with the most rancid vibes imaginable between Cloud and the rest of the party.

I guess more specifically there's going to be a sizable section with Tifa as party lead. It's interesting to imagine if they'll go as far as give you a full region as her instead of making her section totally linear.

Like if the opening of game 3 is a linear journey to the northern crater then the crater itself and THEN the Junon escape and then they dump Tifa off to hang with Clown then that means Cid is the party lead for whatever the equivalent first region is and that seems weird.

I wonder if post Junon escape but before finding Cloud they do Rocket Town and build up Cid as a character a bit before switching from Tifa to him. That way you could potentially sit with Tifa as team lead for a bit and do some Sidequests and region exploration as her.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So like the next game can't really start with a bunch of side questing and open region exploration with Cloud right? That would just be weird. I could definitely imagine a very uncanny snowboarding section with the most rancid vibes imaginable between Cloud and the rest of the party.

I guess more specifically there's going to be a sizable section with Tifa as party lead. It's interesting to imagine if they'll go as far as give you a full region as her instead of making her section totally linear.

Like if the opening of game 3 is a linear journey to the northern crater then the crater itself and THEN the Junon escape and then they dump Tifa off to hang with Clown then that means Cid is the party lead for whatever the equivalent first region is and that seems weird.

I wonder if post Junon escape but before finding Cloud they do Rocket Town and build up Cid as a character a bit before switching from Tifa to him. That way you could potentially sit with Tifa as team lead for a bit and do some Sidequests and region exploration as her.

Zack could sub in at any moment too, door is wide open for anything.

Oct 25, 2017

I'm feeling pretty confident that they're going to skip over some of the "filler" stuff that happened in the OG game between the Forgotten Capital and the Northern Crater and instead kick off Part 3 with a 2-3 hour long set piece at Whirlwind Maze/Northern Crater, in a similar vein to how Remake and Rebirth both opened with a similar length set piece.

God, this is pitiful.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

I made a post about it yesterday but I think Game 3 starts pretty linear all the way up to Mideel/Lifestream stuff before just completely blowing open in the second half a la FF6.

I also think pretty much every new location in Game 3 is getting moved up north.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
Seen a few people say that every thing Aerith says in the ending is a line she has already said. I agree she's acting very weird here and I absolutely understand the "she's acting like an AI emulating Aerith" vibe some people got. But I want to actually keep facts in check here. How many lines did she actually say?

The only one I definitely recognize is "And if I said I wasn't", in response to Cloud asking her if she's okay getting back. But her saying the same line to the same question isn't entirely out of reason for her. I don't recall her ever saying "It's like a second home to me", even though I feel like in my brain that's something she might have said about the church, I can't find her ever actually saying it.

Similarly, "I'll send up smoke" feels like an obvious reference to the mechanic with Cid but I don't recall her ever saying that before.

And I definitely don't think she's said the line about stopping meteor and putting everything she has into her prayers.

You made me check but even in Japanese, she says she will pray a lot and stop meteor.

"It's like a second home" is more like, "This place is of the Cetra," other languages are probably closer to the Japanese.

Although the last words are very weird. There's no promises (yakusoku) its more like... Cloud's just saying its certain that he will stop Sephiroth (kitto). So its not like Cloud's making a bad promise, there's literally no promises to keep.

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
what are the chances an actual answer to this ending will be based on feedback?

the way it is now feels purposefully non-committal.

I don't think they will care.

Majority opinion online is negative about the ending, but since huge influencers like Max love it, and the game reviewing superbly, it's just going to make them double down on everything they've shown so far.

They've gone too far not to.

Last edited:

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever

shippers are some of the funniest people on the internet

Sephiroth using Aerith's death to fuck with Cloud should not even be a hot take, that is something he would totally do

(I'm not saying Max's theory is right but it's a million times more likely than Aerith surviving and marrying Cloud and having a dozen cetra babies with him or whatever they think is gonna happen in part 3

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
I would so 100% be here for Jenova impersonating Aerith or Cloud hallucinating Aerith, but it again creates a weird POV break at the end of the game, as we end the game on Aerith's POV after the party has flown away. It can't be Cloud hallucinating her at that point because he has left, and if it's Jenova, it'd be a fourth wall break where she's keeping up the persona for the audience? It starts to get quite messy for me.

Again, I'm so here for Jenova!Aerith in theory, though, it would be great. When I played through the end of Chapter 5 the other day, I was reflecting on how much I wish FFVII utilized Jenova more and that we got more cosmic horror with her. But noooo, there's always time for another Sephiroth monologue...

It's nothing new, sadly, and I'm really sorry for the streamers who have to deal with the absolutely idiotic portions of the fandom, and the appalling comments that are thrown in their direction. I was recently horrified by Aru cataloging a portion of the harassment and comments she has received over the years:

View: https://twitter.com/DeputyARUUU/status/1768366173580644712

I just glanced through that, and I did not need to know the name Clerith exists....

I hate portmanteau shipping names so much, lol. Clerith, Cloti, Zerith -- they all sound like medication! ETA: Take your Cloti before breakfast, your Clerith before bed, apply Zerith to the affected area, take your Sefkiura as needed, etc.

Last edited:

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I can see why someone would think it's Jenova in the ending cutscene but I just don't believe they'd do it *that* way.

Especially with Aerith standing there as her song starts to play and then giving a solemn "Goodbye…" to her friends.

It's Aeriths spirit at one with the lifestream and they just wanted a nicer parting to say goodbye than her pushing Cloud out of a timeline as Sephiroth walks in the door in the background to kill her.

Why does Aerith lead Cloud on? The same reason she gave him the Black Materia and said "whatever happens, I'm here for you." She knows she's enabling his delusion but that this point in time it's better for him than to try to break him with reality.

Also at that point, at one with the lifestream she probably knows that it's Tifas place to put him back together.
These are fair points. It does seem like they would code it in a more... sinister light, if it were Jenova.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I don't recall her ever saying "It's like a second home to me", even though I feel like in my brain that's something she might have said about the church, I can't find her ever actually saying it.

In Japanese she says she's safe "because it's the place of the Cetra". Definitely a new line.

but also Biggs, who she knew from the orphanage.

Huh, that never occurred to me, but it makes perfect sense!

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the game an hour ago and been reading theories. I have no idea what happened in the ending, there were so many "is she dead or not?" moments, is Zack gonna come to the Remake/Rebirth timeline, etc etc. However, I am completely on board with whatever SE is cooking with this one. I feel like playing OG FFVII now to try to make my own theories on how they'll proceed with Part 3.

BTW did Vincent actually join the team once? Like was there like a 0.1% chance he would join the party once in a while as a non-controllable party character like Nanaki was in Remake? He joined the team because he has beef with Sephiroth, but was nowhere to be seen in any of the cutscenes of the battles with him WTF

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I said this the other day but I get the appeal of the Jenova theory. They really build up the whole "she can take the form of anyone" thing throughout the whole game and it doesn't feel like it's there just to gaslight Cloud into thinking Tifa isn't real because long after that is resolved the Cetra bring it up again.

But I think it's too simple for that to be the only thing happening here and people either need to ignore or invent stuff to make it fit.

1. It doesn't acknowledge the entire plotline of the multiple timelines, the rainbow light, or the pink glitch effect. We see Cloud make a timeline where Aerith is saved with the visual language of how Zack made new timelines. We see reality switching back and forth from that and a world where she dies several times during the scene. There's clearly more going on here.

2. I totally agree the scenes with Aerith after her death are weird, creepy, and uncanny. Cloud is clearly seeing her when nobody else does. Her dialogue feels off, the delivery feels off, she doesn't feel right. But people keep adding more to this that isn't true, like "all her dialogue is stuff she said already". Plus it's worth pointing out this isn't the first time Aerith has acted off. Cloud himself calls her out on not being herself in the other world (presumably because that was a differrent Aerith).

3. Red XIII senses her and recognizes it as Aerith. She says "goodbye" long after Cloud would stop being able to hear her. Neither of these things line up with her being Jenova and I don't think they can be handwaved away.

I'm not really sure what I think at this point. I'm definitely down for the theory but I seriously doubt it's that simple. It just requires us to ignore way too much.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
It's not like he's saying Aerith is now Jenova, dunno what some people are up in arms about lol.

I said this the other day but I get the appeal of the Jenova theory. They really build up the whole "she can take the form of anyone" thing throughout the whole game and it doesn't feel like it's there just to gaslight Cloud into thinking Tifa isn't real because long after that is resolved the Cetra bring it up again.

But I think it's too simple for that to be the only thing happening here and people either need to ignore or invent stuff to make it fit.

1. It doesn't acknowledge the entire plotline of the multiple timelines, the rainbow light, or the pink glitch effect. We see Cloud make a timeline where Aerith is saved with the visual language of how Zack made new timelines. We see reality switching back and forth from that and a world where she dies several times during the scene. There's clearly more going on here.

2. I totally agree the scenes with Aerith after her death are weird, creepy, and uncanny. Cloud is clearly seeing her when nobody else does. Her dialogue feels off, the delivery feels off, she doesn't feel right. But people keep adding more to this that isn't true, like "all her dialogue is stuff she said already". Plus it's worth pointing out this isn't the first time Aerith has acted off. Cloud himself calls her out on not being herself in the other world (presumably because that was a differrent Aerith).

3. Red XIII senses her and recognizes it as Aerith. She says "goodbye" long after Cloud would stop being able to hear her. Neither of these things line up with her being Jenova and I don't think they can be handwaved away.

I'm not really sure what I think at this point. I'm definitely down for the theory but I seriously doubt it's that simple. It just requires us to ignore way too much.

What she said at the ending cutscenes does sound a little weird. But yeah her staying behind and even saying goodbye after they took off, that'd mean she's not simply his hallucination or Jenova I think.

I'm leaning towards the ending Aerith being both Cloud's mindfuck + also the lifestream/ different timeline Aerith lol.

Just saw this, whoa, it's way longer now than the last time I saw it lol

Last edited:

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
It's nothing new, sadly, and I'm really sorry for the streamers who have to deal with the absolutely idiotic portions of the fandom, and the appalling comments that are thrown in their direction. I was recently horrified by Aru cataloging a portion of the harassment and comments she has received over the years:

View: https://twitter.com/DeputyARUUU/status/1768366173580644712

The ff7 'fandom' has been peak weird with a serious misogyny and bullying problem for a long time. Especially the types going after Aruuu, I recognise some of those names as longtime brigaders and harassers and wondering when their shipmates will finally step up and clean house instead of rewarding them with likes or adopting their moronic talking points (like gloating over Aerith being murdered, something we can see frequently on this site. Celebrating violence against women, totally not creepy or fostering an unwelcoming environment right...) These are people who have decided their idealised version of a fictional woman is more important than the well-being of the multiple real women they've targeted, they're so unserious yet they run rampant and anytime this is brought up it's usually ignored or met with apathetic both sides shit. Unfortunately the accessibility of your average streamer only seems to embolden them.

Last edited:

Z'ard

Mar 5, 2019
Ukraine
How certain are we that the bulk of Rebirth takes place in the Beagle universe?

I've seen one screenshot of Junon that shows both Beagle and Terrier in the same spot. Do any other Stamps show up in the Rebirth main game (meaning, not any Zach/Aerith segments)?
There was Beagle stamp in Gongana that i can remember from the top of my head.

Z'ard

Mar 5, 2019
Ukraine
I don't think we were fighting with OG Aerith in the end but overall seems pretty accurate. Ultimania comes out in April hopefully we'll have more info that will solidify/dissmiss some of the theories.

Then again i don't think devs are going to give us a lot with the way they crafted the ending. In the end of remake the questions were is Zack in different world because of stamp? Is this post AC Sephiroth and Aerith? That's about it.

Now? Hoo boy.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
I believe
I don't think we were fighting with OG Aerith in the end but overall seems pretty accurate. Ultimania comes out in April hopefully we'll have more info that will solidify/dissmiss some of the theories.

I'm actually thinking that Aerith in the Sephiroth battle is the same Aerith as the one who Cloud saves, and opens her eyes.

- Same equipment and level
- She lost her consciousness in real world
- She thanks Cloud for saving her
- After battle she says to Cloud, "Let's go, everyone is waiting" (Japanese script)
- Then she disappears for a bit
- She takes a detour to pull Zack into the rift before meteor hits
- She arrives a bit later when Cloud calls for her to wake up

A lot of the interdimensional travel with Cloud and Aerith seems to be related to them sleeping / being lights out.

- Cloud transfers to sleeping "wheelchair Cloud" in Terrier world for a bit when he sleeps in Gold Saucer
- Cloud travels to other worlds while Barret is carrying him, Barret says his eyes were twitching like crazy
- Zack touches sleeping Aerith's hand in Terrier world, and Aerith feels that in the main world

Kreim

Dec 6, 2017
I'm sorry I'm now distracted by the concept of Cloud thinking Aerith is chilling back at the capital, as Cloud shreds up the mountain on snowboard while the crew looks on in disbelief.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
I'm sorry I'm now distracted by the concept of Cloud thinking Aerith is chilling back at the capital, as Cloud shreds up the mountain on snowboard while the crew looks on in disbelief.
You see, this actually has me so weirded out. What is the logical reason for the party to still follow Cloud without saying: 'hey look man, you are kinda weird rn'

TheAquaticApe

Oct 25, 2017
The party animal quest is bugged for me in post game. I beat the bike score but the quest line never updates. Bummer. It's the only quest I didn't do. I looked on Reddit and it appears to be a common bug now since the patch.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
You see, this actually has me so weirded out. What is the logical reason for the party to still follow Cloud without saying: 'hey look man, you are kinda weird rn'
With this version of the cast, there's really no good reason they wouldn't have staged an intervention by now and tried to figure out what the heck is going on with him. Except, I guess, if they did that they'd be deviating from OG and despite the themes they're trying to push they're very unwilling to do that.

I'm just glad they left out the whole Marlene hostage tape during Cait Sith's betrayal, because the realistic outcome from this Barret would have been him ripping that cat's head off.

The party animal quest is bugged for me in post game. I beat the bike score but the quest line never updates. Bummer. It's the only quest I didn't do. I looked on Reddit and it appears to be a common bug now since the patch.

I had this issue before the patch and before beating the game. Shinra Middle Manager is supposed to be near the games and you have to talk to him first to challenge his scores, but he just wasn't there for me.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017

So far the only explanation is that they think all of Cloud's actions are due to cellular degradation. Which is a bit weak reason — these versions of these characters should know better.

At least it's heavily implied that Tifa and Aerith have hashed out that there is something seriously wrong going on, but that makes their ship tease with Cloud just feel wrong.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
With all the who's who with Aerith and Schrödinger's Aerith status, one little moment that haunts me is Aerith in Costa del Sol talking about her future self. Aerith herself says she's counting on her future self, and that Cloud will love her when he meets her. It's all so retrospectively bittersweet. I guess time will tell if we will actually meet her 'future self' in some form again. (Ironically, OG Aerith would be a past version of herself... urgh, my brain.)

The ff7 'fandom' has been peak weird with a serious misogyny and bullying problem for a long time. Especially the types going after Aruuu, I recognise some of those names as longtime brigaders and harassers and wondering when their shipmates will finally step up and clean house instead of rewarding them with likes or adopting their moronic talking points (like gloating over Aerith being murdered, something we can see frequently on this site. Celebrating violence against women, totally not creepy or fostering an unwelcoming environment right...) These are people who have decided their idealised version of a fictional woman is more important than the well-being of the multiple real women they've targeted, they're so unserious yet they run rampant and anytime this is brought up it's usually ignored or met with apathetic both sides shit. Unfortunately the accessibility of your average streamer only seems to embolden them.

Absolutely, the misogyny and bullying is atrocious, and is often really glossed over by the fandom. It's never been good -- reading that personal recount on Twitter was a harrowing reminder -- but it's gotten so much worse. And as you said, I think accessibility is sadly a huge part of it. I'm always flabbergasted when people prioritize fictional characters over treating actual human beings with respect, let alone active ongoing harassment. It's insane, and can be so insidious, too.

I should also not be surprised that people have been rude to Briana White in her streams, but it's still so awful to read. Whether it's Max, Aruuu, or White herself -- absolutely unacceptable.

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels uncomfortable with the dead Aerith jokes. All the impalement references have long gotten old.

Yes! I feel like the party couldn't go too long into Part 3 without addressing the discrepancy with Cloud's mood in comparison to Aerith's death. I'm really curious to see how they weave in story beats from the original game with the changes from Rebirth.

just a four year wait

it's fine

fineeee