• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
maybe yuffie will still steal there party's materia but not because she wants to. maybe she'll be pressured into it by someone she knows in wutai. and she'll feel obligated because of the war

Its literally "her mission" so I can see this. Maybe she leaves a handful of "pity materia" and that is our starter gear. The only question is how they communicate because only Shinra seems to have freaking cellphones. (Maybe all those remnawave towers we restored?)

People were talking about starting with an action setpiece, if you don't want to jump straight to whirlwind maze, Wutai war is a good one. (Not necessarily even in Wutai, the first strike might be an attack on Junon or Midgar.) And we'd need a point-of-view character and Yuffie fits.

They could also do some Zack stuff but I bet he's going to recede into the background until the "reunion of worlds" gets going.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
So, like, are we still in the "this is a weird sequel type thing" camp with this, or is this just them massively overcomplicating the original plot?
Personally, I don't think it's a sequel. More like a reimagination with some meta side plots to keep players on their toes

To be clear, I view the OG plot and AC as not something that already happened but something that will happen. I believe that Sephiroth and maybe Aerith can tap into future memories and see it and work to it or around it but it's not something that happened in the past. To me, that would have been the case in a time travel plot instead of a multiverse plot that seems to be sticking to the general skeleton of the OG and AC.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
So, like, are we still in the "this is a weird sequel type thing" camp with this, or is this just them massively overcomplicating the original plot?

In terms of like, literary structure, I think you'd call it an expanded reimagining. Its a variation on the original.

In strict lore terms, its predicated on Advent Children having already happened to Sephiroth and Omni-Aerith. If that's enough to call it a sequel then so be it. But you shouldn't necessarily expect everything to be all-new like you generally would in sequels.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
It's both?

It's retreading the plot of the original game, but it's also inserting a new series of plot elements that follow from the consequences of the original game's ending.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland

Considering my own thesis is that there are characters who know the OG FF7 events and things will not go the same route after baiting the audience that they will, I have to say it's a sequel.

Rebuild of Evangelion for video games, basically. Ending sequence will probably be as trippy and divisive but ultimately happy for the characters.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Where did the concept of different worlds / universes and this convergence come from? How did Sephiroth even know they existed in the first place. Unless this is just knowledge of memories that Sephiroth acquired when he fell into the Lifestream?

Like his original goal was to summon Meteor and use the aftermath of its destruction to absorb all of the Lifestream as his own power when the Planet drew it in to heal the damage caused by Meteor.

Now it seems like he was to converge this multiverse into a singularity and quite frankly I don't understand the purpose behind this. What does he hope to accomplish by removing all timelines / universes into a single one. What is the end game and benefit from all of that?

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
It's both?

It's retreading the plot of the original game, but it's also inserting a new series of plot elements that follow from the consequences of the original game's ending.
That's the thing I actually am not sure about anymore. After the first game, I viewed the events of the OG as having already happened and Sephiroth either time traveling or switching timelines to start anew. I actually don't think that's the case anymore. Now I think there are characters who through the lifestream know the full flow of events and work with that knowledge. All other changes are due to it being a new adaptation.

The devs saying Advent Children follows up these games makes me think it's the future that will happen and Sephiroth is trying to change that and will fail. That said, I actually think the epilogue of the game will be different. I think there will be a post Advent Children epilogue of the gang all being happy. We briefly saw content Cloud in DoC but I think they'll show it clearly in-game. Like a five years later type thing

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
It's complicated, but I don't find it in a way that's too obtuse, at least to me. The complexities added in feel intended as largely allegorical rather than technical. Sure you could go over the minutia of the parallel universes or the state of Aerith, however I feel this is a bit "missing the forest for the trees".

Beelzebufo

Jun 1, 2022
Canada
Can I just mention yhe thing that surprised me most. Fucking Roche's fate. That genuinely shocked me. I did not at all expect them to go that route with that character. Just wow.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
How fast can you replay the dates etc? I'm struggling to remember the chapter structure, can you get to seeing new content pretty quickly?

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
Now it seems like he was to converge this multiverse into a singularity and quite frankly I don't understand the purpose behind this. What does he hope to accomplish by removing all timelines / universes into a single one. What is the end game and benefit from all of that?

We don't know how it works, but the asses on Reborn says that by doing so, he can create eternity. That's a cliff notes on the exchange between him and the Cetra just before the demon wall fight. It involves returning all life to the planet, including that in alt timelines, and meteor is the means to achieve that.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
How fast can you replay the dates etc? I'm struggling to remember the chapter structure, can you get to seeing new content pretty quickly?

Pilot the bronco through corel to costa del sol, fast travel to golden saucer, use the fast travel kiosks there to head for the haunted hotel.

The long part is you have to play through part 2 of loveless QTE every time. Though I think you can just leave the controller idle if you've got or don't care about the Jhonny trophies (two S performances with Tifa and Yuffie.)

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Pilot the bronco through corel to costa del sol, fast travel to golden saucer, use the fast travel kiosks there to head for the haunted hotel.

The long part is you have to play through part 2 of loveless every time.
Thanks! You have to get an S rank in Loveless with the different characters for Johnny's thing anyway right? My first time through had Barret, Red and Aerith. How do I get the others?

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! You have to get an S rank in Loveless with the different characters for Johnny's thing anyway right? My first time through had Barret, Red and Aerith. How do I get the others?
You gotta go on Tifa and Yuffie dates each. If you had gotten Tifa, you would have only had to do Yuffie to get everyone in two dates.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
It's funny that after the theories from the first game, Rebirth ended up following the structure of the OG hitting many of the same beats with the Zack section being relegated to small segments here and there before coming to a head in the end. I'm expecting the same to play out in the third game. There will still be a Zack/Aerith section that has small moments occasionally since them reuniting was the one thing foreshadowed a lot in Rebirth so I'm actually surprised it didn't happen here. And of course it will come to a head in the finale. But before that?

I'm expecting the same general path of the original. Rebirth ends with the party going to the Northern Crater with Cloud about to crack just like the original, weapons and large materia been foreshadowed, Tifa lifestream scene been foreshadowed, Rocket Town will clearly get its spotlight cause Cid damn sure needs it. The only thing I think will substantially change is Wutai which is clearly set up to be a major story element instead of an optional one like Gongaga in this game.

And honestly? I can live with that. Do the initial Northern Crater scene right and I'm happy. Nail the lifestream scene between Cloud and Tifa and I'm thrilled since that's one of the best parts of the OG in my opinion. Give me some epic kaiju battles and high stake set pieces like a train heist, underwater level, and a fucking space romp. Let us have an epic blast in our return to Midgar. I thought they messed up Aerith's death big time and it did huge damage to the ending but I'm less invested in the ending of FF7 itself since it's just a cool boss romp. Whatever convoluted nonsense they come up with in the ending won't bug me as long as they give me everything else.

Last edited:

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022

I think the way it works is everyone that participates gets a trophy if you S rank it (maybe less rank is acceptable too.) Red, Barret, Aerith, and Cait Sith always participate (Doesn't Cloud have a trophy too?), so just doing Tifa and Yuffie is enough. The S rank requirements are pretty low, there's SS and SSS ranks as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Can I just mention yhe thing that surprised me most. Fucking Roche's fate. That genuinely shocked me. I did not at all expect them to go that route with that character. Just wow.
I was fully expecting him to end up like this, personally... except in part 3. Before Rebirth I thought he'd be a recurring character that we'd see slowly decay throughout the three games. Instead he got Hojo'd and then robed up in the span of like two scenes. I really have no idea what they can do with him now other than have him show up for the reunion along with Broden. Maybe he'll be the one to turn into Jenova for her Whirlwind Maze fight?

Last edited:

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Since we're about a month from release, I made a focused thread for Part 3 ideas and wishes (rather than endless debate of shipping and Rebirth's ending, lol):

www.resetera.com

A month later, what are your ideas for Part 3 of the FF7 remake series? [Open spoilers]

Random ideas incoming! Please share yours! Final Fantasy VII Resolve: The resolve to fight. To move on after loss. To live. And resolving fragmented spacetime... -- ACT I -- Similar to how Rebirth opened at a different point in time, Resolve opens with a paralogue: Cid and Vincent on their...

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
I was backreading and I'm surprised people or someone thought Tifa wouldn't be involved in the lifestream sequence next game. Feel like that was one of the things most obviously foreshadowed in Rebirth. There's a scene where Cloud is vulnerable talking about how he feels like there's multiple people inside him and Tifa says she'll save him this time and then they almost kiss. Probably the most blatant bit of foreshadowing so far for the next game tbh.

Thing with the lifestream sequence is that it isn't a magical scene where Tifa does some hocus pocus and fixes Cloud hence the theories of Aerith replacing her there are pretty dumb. It's a look back at Cloud's past and his insecurities that have driven him his own life. These all center around Tifa, specifically wanting to impress her growing up and that driving him to want to be a hero that she would notice. There's no emotional catharsis to anyone other than Tifa in these scenes. Can you imagine trying to replace her with Aerith in those scenes? "Damn Cloud you had a crush on Tifa the whole time, that's crazy". Same with the ultimate reveal that grunt Cloud actually defeated Sephiroth and kept his promise to Tifa in Nibelheim. Just from an emotional perspective, it will be Tifa in that segment

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't think we're going back to the Forgotten Capital outside of cutscenes. There really isn't anything to do there and I can't see the party wanting to spend an extended period of time lounging around where Aeris got killed.

I'd be so sad, TBH lol

The "City made of Giant Sea Shells" was so damn cool.

I want this stupid sea house!

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Part 3 can move the Knights of the Round to the Forgotten Capital and make it part of the main quest

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
i'm not sure if anyone will agree with me, but i really prefer the original look of the forgotten capital
latest

and why was there an elevator instead of the crystal staircase?
latest

It's such a drag how little you see of it in Rebirth (I kept darting my eyes to the corner of the screen to just look at it during cutscenes). ....It just became a boss lair. :(

No more cool fish hologram guarding the secret stairs lol

forgotten_capital_fish-png.11676

Kotetsu534

Dec 31, 2022
The way the Forgotten Capital was portrayed was my single biggest disappointment with the game, but I've tried to make my peace with it. The original is one of my favourite locations ever. Such a great design and it's introduced with such forboding threat, but in a way that makes clear it's not the place itself that's dangerous. It's isolated, abandoned, eerie, no random encounters, but You Can Hear the Cry of the Planet playing builds the threat... then you explore it, go to sleep, it's night time...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's such a drag how little you see of it in Rebirth (I kept darting my eyes to the corner of the screen to just look at it during cutscenes). ....It just became a boss lair. :(

No more cool fish hologram guarding the secret stairs lol

forgotten_capital_fish-png.11676

I don't know what Rebirth's devs have against spiral staircases, but this, combined with Nibel Manor, clearly shows they hate them.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Question, Tseng at the Temple of the Ancients didn't put the keystone in the slot in the original but he does in Rebirth. Is there an explanation why some thing's have changed? Does it flow better, I'm not sure because I'm a huge fan of the OG version.

Also, Vincent usually joins the party but not in Rebirth. Did I do something wrong? FYI, I'm playing as Aerith in the Temple now.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Where did the concept of different worlds / universes and this convergence come from? How did Sephiroth even know they existed in the first place. Unless this is just knowledge of memories that Sephiroth acquired when he fell into the Lifestream?

Like his original goal was to summon Meteor and use the aftermath of its destruction to absorb all of the Lifestream as his own power when the Planet drew it in to heal the damage caused by Meteor.

During the last flight Aerith asks Sephiroth how can he want an eternity of loneliness. So I assume he just wants to destroy everyone and everything and live as a god or something of that nature. Basically still the same idea as the original.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
Question, Tseng at the Temple of the Ancients didn't put the keystone in the slot in the original but he does in Rebirth. Is there an explanation why some thing's have changed? Does it flow better, I'm not sure because I'm a huge fan of the OG version.

It wasn't shown, but its implied that he did use they keystone? He opened the way and then some version of Sephiroth stabbed him and was already inside, adding urgency to the party. We don't see any of this, just talk to an injured Tseng.

DTC

Oct 25, 2017
The Forgotten Capital actually looks insanely good in Rebirth. I really want to go back to it again without all of the Whispers flying around

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
The Forgotten Capital actually looks insanely good in Rebirth. I really want to go back to it again without all of the Whispers flying around

Too late, its now the whisper capital.

But setting the final stages of KotOR there, if its not used for anything else, seems like a good idea. Maybe the equivalent of gilgamesh isle.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I was fully expecting him to end up like this, personally... except in part 3. Before Rebirth I thought he'd be a recurring character that we'd see slowly decay throughout the three games. Instead he got Hojo'd and then robed up in the span of like two scenes. I really have no idea what they can do with him now other than have him show up for the reunion along with Broden. Maybe he'll be the one to turn into Jenova for her Whirlwind Maze fight?
He's with Rufus and Hojo in the helicopter so my hope is he gets Hojo'd up. Someone said he could make a good encounter in the return to Midgar which is true. My bullshit hope is Hojo turns him into a body horror motorcycle man.

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018

I wish photo mode let you take them out of the shot.

If it could let you take out the character models, the Whispers should have been an option too.

I took some really great photos during my playthrough... but some of the really good shots were marred by a damn Whisper going through the screen, it was annoying.

He's with Rufus and Hojo in the helicopter so my hope is he gets Hojo'd up. Someone said he could make a good encounter in the return to Midgar which is true. My bullshit hope is Hojo turns him into a body horror motorcycle man.

He can either get Hojo'd up, or that doctor we meet in Corel (the one who saved Tifa and Barret) is able to do something about him and all the other robed men.

I can't imagine they introduced that doctor in the game for no reason. He was searching for a way to cure the black robes, and he was very interested in getting a blood sample from Cloud too.

I really do think he will have some role to play when Cloud is stuck in a wheelchair. He might draw blood from Cloud then, and then use that for his research for a cure.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California

DTC

Oct 25, 2017
Get ready for this take.

After the Cloud + Tifa scene in the Lifestream, you meet up with Aerith, play as Cloud + Tifa + Aerith in a lifestream dungeon area, and you beat up some of the Cetra because they are controlling/influencing the weapons to destroy humanity.

It's a silly idea but one I can see this dev team doing lmao

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
Get ready for this take.

After the Cloud + Tifa scene in the Lifestream, you meet up with Aerith, play as Cloud + Tifa + Aerith in a lifestream dungeon area, and you beat up some of the Cetra because they are controlling/influencing the weapons to destroy humanity.

Weapons are part of the lifestream white/black stuff now, the ambiguity of the original is gone IMO. White weapons are shown to be benevolent and fighting a spiritual war underground, even helping Tifa out. Partial or fully Black weapons will be needed to wage war on mankind. It also fits with Sephiroth's MO, destroy all life (especially humans) to feed the planet, spread hate and misery to corrupt the lifestream into black. The only effective difference in terms of the Weapon's behavior is they won't bother to attack Sephiroth up north.

Of course Sephiroth could still have some minions or a macguffin controlling the Weapons for some reason that you can take out or something. But I bet they will be aligned with him regardless, not a neutral party.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Not getting to explore The Forgotten Capital more disappointing but Shinra Manor was the biggest disappointment. You get to see some of the first floor and then you're spending 99% of your time in some generic underground facility. You don't get to go upstairs. No safe. No remake of this...

final-fantasy-vii-sephiroth.gif

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
Get ready for this take.

Honestly, I don't think this scene will be that dramatically different in the next game. I think there will be a fight against some Lifestream thing in there but I actually don't expect Zack or Aerith in this sequence. I have a feeling Cloud will deal with their deaths after this sequence when he is himself. In the OG, there was an optional scene where Cloud remembers how Zack died and I think it'll be non-optional but I believe it will be after the lifestream in a different place. I think remembering and accepting their deaths is something that will get its own place in the story to give it weight instead of just forcing it into the scene where Cloud remembers the truth because there's just too many different things happening there

Valus

Nov 21, 2017

The long part is you have to play through part 2 of loveless QTE every time. Though I think you can just leave the controller idle if you've got or don't care about the Jhonny trophies (two S performances with Tifa and Yuffie.)

You don't actually have to redo the QTE. You can just pause and skip like any cutscene. And still get S at the end.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
Having Tifa standing there holding hands with Cloud while Aerith is singing about her love to Cloud is so weird lmao.
Fun fact: NPTK as a song and the choice in singer was influenced by Nomura watching The Greatest Showman and both the Aerith date Rosa performance and Tifa date Rosa performance are lifted straight from the movie. There's a scene where Zac Efron's character watches Jenny (the Aerith pastiche) sing while smiling by himself just like Cloud does in the performance in the Aerith date. Another scene where Jenny is performing, Efron is watching it with Zendaya's character and they slowly hold hands during a crescendo just like Cloud and Tifa do in the Tifa date. Both are earily similar to the scenes from the game. It's cool how they were able to put the movie that influenced the song into scenes in both dates

Valus

Nov 21, 2017
Part 3 can move the Knights of the Round to the Forgotten Capital and make it part of the main quest
I really thought they were gonna tie in the KOTR origin to the shadow blood queen. Especially considering how the summon made no real sense in the original. Like tease their origins via the stories we hear and maybe get their cards.

Oh well, they left the queen story open enough that it can still be connected in part 3.

Apr 17, 2018
Fun fact: NPTK as a song and the choice in singer was influenced by Nomura watching The Greatest Showman and both the Aerith date Rosa performance and Tifa date Rosa performance are lifted straight from the movie. There's a scene where Zac Efron's character watches Jenny (the Aerith pastiche) sing while smiling by himself just like Cloud does in the performance in the Aerith date. Another scene where Jenny is performing, Efron is watching it with Zendaya's character and they slowly hold hands during a crescendo just like Cloud and Tifa do in the Tifa date. Both are earily similar to the scenes from the game. It's cool how they were able to put the movie that influenced the song into scenes in both dates

You just blew my fucking mind.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
7/10 for me

Story for the most part was a 9/10 but god damn did everything else slowly chip away at me. Way too much fluff and the game simply doesn't respect people's time. That last boss was straight dog water too. Nothing compared to Seph in remake.

They also botched Aeriths death. No water burial scene? Like wtf man. Also this weird meta multi universe thing is dumb. I enjoyed the Zach parts a lot but then they just took that concept way too far.

Honestly, I can wait 6 years for the next one. I hope they take all the time in world to properly test everything and make sure the pacing isn't horrible. I couldn't even enjoy the ending due to being just frustrated with that whole boss rush. Idk just kinda jaded by this experience. It sucks because the game overall is great but damn does it need some cutting.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
I was backreading and I'm surprised people or someone thought Tifa wouldn't be involved in the lifestream sequence next game. Feel like that was one of the things most obviously foreshadowed in Rebirth. There's a scene where Cloud is vulnerable talking about how he feels like there's multiple people inside him and Tifa says she'll save him this time and then they almost kiss. Probably the most blatant bit of foreshadowing so far for the next game tbh.

Thing with the lifestream sequence is that it isn't a magical scene where Tifa does some hocus pocus and fixes Cloud hence the theories of Aerith replacing her there are pretty dumb. It's a look back at Cloud's past and his insecurities that have driven him his own life. These all center around Tifa, specifically wanting to impress her growing up and that driving him to want to be a hero that she would notice. There's no emotional catharsis to anyone other than Tifa in these scenes. Can you imagine trying to replace her with Aerith in those scenes? "Damn Cloud you had a crush on Tifa the whole time, that's crazy". Same with the ultimate reveal that grunt Cloud actually defeated Sephiroth and kept his promise to Tifa in Nibelheim. Just from an emotional perspective, it will be Tifa in that segment

Haven't seen the posts you are talking about but since they kind of did the livestream sequence already in Rebirth with Tifa, I expect it'll be quite different than the original and maybe revolve more around what's happened to Aerith and Cloud not accepting that.

I still think it'll be Tifa lead, for sure.