• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ear Mortal

Mar 9, 2022
Haha speaking of Babyseal he theorized that the idea Kitase had was that there will be multiple endings or at least more than 1.
Which I....don't really think it would work in a positive way unless one of them is just a "classic" bad/fail ending as we've seen in other games.

The Advent children stuff is Max's idea.

Yeah I agree. Nothing against any of the FF7 content creators though, I appreciate them even if I disagree on some things.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
They torpedo'd the FFX connection though by saying the Gi can't join the Lifestream. Otherwise we're gonna find an undead Shinra in Regenesis.
Well Gaia is a different planet, maybe the planets have their own personalities. I think it only made the connection stronger really. The Gi are "Unsent" because they are outsiders that the planet denied. There was nothing like that in Spira that I can recall. Everything there belonged there so typically everything returned to its Lifestream as usual except when people magically meddled with the process.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
And hard mode done. If I ignore the pain of materia swapping hard mode made this game go up for me quite a bit. There really as of now is no other combat that gives me the same endorphins by having this great balance of strategic decision making balancing itself against my ability to execute but you also only really get to experience the combat on that level in hardmode where a lot of the decision making starts to actually matter which is absolutely fine.

Only 7 legendary bouts left(already did Clouds). Bonds of Friendship is def creeping me out a bit given that one does seem to come down heavily to execution given the restrictions you play around with. Still really not what I hope they lean in further in the last game I do not enjoy these marathons of having to flawlessly execute and on failure having to redo everything. I rather have it be harder even but let you actually practice the parts you are trying to overcome at low cost(basically how the last fight goes with generous checkpoints).

edisnooM

Apr 22, 2024
Canada
I'm pretty sure the ultimania has confirmed that Noijima has basically finished the scenerio for part 3. I think they aren't changing major things concerning the story based on fan feedback. I think they just want to fill in extra fun things with fan feedback.

True maybe they were just taking their ideas for the Highwind, or Knights of the Round. :-)

I'd really hope they wouldn't start tearing up the script if they've already got it done. It's already going to be at least 3 years, don't pull a George RR Martin on us.

To be fair, nothing they talked about was outlandish?

No I don't think they said anything that hadn't probably already been discussed elsewhere, but it still makes me a bit nervous when a developer outright says they are watching something specifically for feedback.

Though as has been noted it might just be fun additions than actual story beats.

boredandlazy

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
And hard mode done. If I ignore the pain of materia swapping hard mode made this game go up for me quite a bit. There really as of now is no other combat that gives me the same endorphins by having this great balance of strategic decision making balancing itself against my ability to execute but you also only really get to experience the combat on that level in hardmode where a lot of the decision making starts to actually matter which is absolutely fine.

Only 7 legendary bouts left(already did Clouds). Bonds of Friendship is def creeping me out a bit given that one does seem to come down heavily to execution given the restrictions you play around with. Still really not what I hope they lean in further in the last game I do not enjoy these marathons of having to flawlessly execute and on failure having to redo everything. I rather have it be harder even but let you actually practice the parts you are trying to overcome at low cost(basically how the last fight goes with generous checkpoints).
I was one Aeroga spell from beating Odin in Bonds of Friendship but got greedy and was annihilated by his charge attack... 😭
I can breeze through the first 8 rounds, but Bahamut and Odin are completely RNG so the entire battle can fall apart in one unlucky moment.

Last edited:

Mephissto

Mar 8, 2024
I was one Aeroga spell from beating Odin in Bonds of Friendship but got greedy and was annihilated by his charge attack... 😭
I can breeze through the first 8 rounds, but Bahamut and Odin are completely RNG so the entire battle can fall apart in one unlucky moment.

I also had a wipe literally one cast away, same as you. I could do Bahamut reliably at that point somewhat. As long as I always took the wings out immediately.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
Not gonna lie, hearing things like this make me a bit nervous. Nothing against any of the parties involved, but I don't want FF7 written by fans (myself included). I want FF7 written by the folks who wrote FF7, for good or ill.
fwiw if Rebirth tells me anything is that it is all fun theory crafting and wishful favorite character pushing but the writers very much have their own idea luckily.

Max says so himself in the end it's all just fun ideas but we are all wrong

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
random thought, maybe it was obvious and i just forgot, who was the voice aerith was randomly talking to at times? Like in costa del sol you hear her talking with someone else who mysteriously isnt there when someone actually walks in.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
random thought, maybe it was obvious and i just forgot, who was the voice aerith was randomly talking to at times? Like in costa del sol you hear her talking with someone else who mysteriously isnt there when someone actually walks in.
It's Red XIII. Aerith knows about his real voice/age before anyone else.

Oct 31, 2017
Credits roll. My friend is unleashing all theories on me right now.

I can say.... I almost thought Aerith wasn't dead since she "woke up," but it looks as if she'll have some communication with Cloud.

Even then.... hearing her say goodbye and then her song playing over the credits, y'all, I can't.

Oct 31, 2017
Its ruined you hear me? RUINED!!! /s

Square just shot themselves in the foot I don't know how you much you know about Rebirth culture (I'm an expert) etc. etc.

Hated her in remake, ended up being my favorite side character in this game. She's extremely un-cynical and just that perfect combination of being earnest while also so done with everyone and everything. Also her music is a bop.

Which part?

If it's the very very very last one, make sure both characters have a healing option. If its the part right before, make sure everyone has elemental coverage (and time attacks for when wings are stationary right before they cast the ground AoEs, otherwise sometimes spells miss). But yeah final boss is a pretty big difficulty spike and requires some degree of prep that most other regular bosses don't.

For the very final fight, just keep swapping characters nonstop as well. If you bait aggro with one, swap to the other, the CPU will usually dodge or perfect block as needed. Found this extremely helpful for stuff like skewer and octoslash.

I only died once on the final boss, and I liked the last fight the best, tbh.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I know a lot of what Cid did in OG FF7 wouldn't fly today but they might've toned him down a bit too much

Crashnburn85

Oct 25, 2017
California
I know a lot of what Cid did in OG FF7 wouldn't fly today but they might've toned him down a bit too much

I think I will reserve judgement until Part 3. The friction with Rocket Town and his past I am sure will bring out a saltier side of him, and if they follow the OG and the party basically turns him into the leader while Cloud is out, I am sure that will bring with it a lot of piss and vinegar. We'll see - right now he is sort of the stereotypical good-natured machinist - they just gotta give him some rougher edges on display once the party gets closer to him.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017

Started on working on that today working on Bahamut consistency for now (only had 3 attempts).

As someone that really hates the type of difficulty design this has especially them throwing you into the deep with 2 characters you barely played in addition I just had to think about what else they could do in part 3 to be more annoying.
And the thing that came to my mind was what if all these flawless execution challenges also had a tight time limit. x) Let's hope not...

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well Gaia is a different planet, maybe the planets have their own personalities. I think it only made the connection stronger really. The Gi are "Unsent" because they are outsiders that the planet denied. There was nothing like that in Spira that I can recall. Everything there belonged there so typically everything returned to its Lifestream as usual except when people magically meddled with the process.
are you saying that the planet is racist

The Quentulated Mox

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 10, 2022
Yeah, i'm not really into "Everybody's Pal Cid Highwind". like, sure don't make him abuse his wife, but at least keep him grouchy. He doesn't even react when his plane falls apart and turns into a boat! We have a painful dearth of characters who can believably get mad at all

edisnooM

Apr 22, 2024
Canada
fwiw if Rebirth tells me anything is that it is all fun theory crafting and wishful favorite character pushing but the writers very much have their own idea luckily.

Max says so himself in the end it's all just fun ideas but we are all wrong

True, or at least only 5% will be different than the OG. :-)

The fact that they've said they've got the scenario down and are close recording voice lines seems like it should be fairly insulated from outside opinion.

brain_

What is a tag? A miserable pile of words.
May 13, 2021
MO
I only died once on the final boss, and I liked the last fight the best, tbh.
Same, when he started Beyblade'ing at the end I was able to block and dodge enough and ended up getting a focused thrust and braver off to finish him with my HP in the red. It was hype AF and I'm sad others didn't get the same experience

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I somehow first tried the Sephi/Cloud legendary bout(decided to take a break on my Zack/Cloud attempts to just get Cloud's weapon level maxed). Like I know it's not as hard as the other one but I kinda expected to fail a few times regardless.

I don't think I understand Zantetsuken really cause I feel like I should have gotten hit by that on Odin but somehow not, I took so many hits there I feel Sephiroth was healing me up throughout it a couple times. Also I feel I got massively lucky on Bahamut not casting gigaflare either despite fucking up getting wings down three times cause I got interrupted during a cast.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So where did the Gi originally come from?
space-tim-curry.gif

boredandlazy

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Started on working on that today working on Bahamut consistency for now (only had 3 attempts).

As someone that really hates the type of difficulty design this has especially them throwing you into the deep with 2 characters you barely played in addition I just had to think about what else they could do in part 3 to be more annoying.
And the thing that came to my mind was what if all these flawless execution challenges also had a tight time limit. x) Let's hope not...
I've been away from home for a couple of days, and managed to do it first time after I got back. 😂
Nervous as hell during the Odin fight. As I said, RNG. The Odin fight went almost flawlessly, I managed to stagger him a second time just as he cast spatial distortion so I didn't even have to worry about him capturing one of my characters.

Funnily enough I almost died to the second fight too. Lightning based enemies are such a pain in the ass.

Just one more legendary challenge, and then I can do the final two chapters on hard for the plat.

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
You know it's funny because on one hand this revelation that the weird ghost people are aliens and that's why they haven't returned to the planet makes sense and lines up really well with what we learn in Advent Children about Jenova's cells in the lifestream. But at the same time it definitively renders the FFX connection non-canon and proves that despite the language used about the Cetra being the original species, humans did not come from space too.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You know it's funny because on one hand this revelation that the weird ghost people are aliens and that's why they haven't returned to the planet makes sense and lines up really well with what we learn in Advent Children about Jenova's cells in the lifestream. But at the same time it definitively renders the FFX connection non-canon and proves that despite the language used about the Cetra being the original species, humans did not come from space too.
I forget where this was mentioned, but it was also established that the universe also has its own lifestream, and when planets die, their lifestream joins the universe's lifestream. This lore bit renders Dirge of Cerberus completely contradictory since Omega Weapon's plan to take Gaia's lifestream to a new planet no longer makes sense.

Dirge was not written by Nojima, and it leaves me wondering if Nojima came up this new lore tidbit with a willing disregard of Dirge's story lol.

Mephissto

Mar 8, 2024

The GI had their own planet and it died / their the lifestream of their planet dried up and it was absorbed by Gaia.

I forget where this was mentioned, but it was also established that the universe also has its own lifestream, and when planets die, their lifestream joins the universe's lifestream.

Any idea where that was mentioned? Don't recall it and it wasn't during the Bugenhagen cinematic which I alread checked.

Last edited:

Mephissto

Mar 8, 2024
I forget where this was mentioned, but it was also established that the universe also has its own lifestream, and when planets die, their lifestream joins the universe's lifestream. This lore bit renders Dirge of Cerberus completely contradictory since Omega Weapon's plan to take Gaia's lifestream to a new planet no longer makes sense.

Dirge was not written by Nojima, and it leaves me wondering if Nojima came up this new lore tidbit with a willing disregard of Dirge's story lol.
oh it wasn't in the game. It's something that a dev mentioned somewhere in an interview (lol).

Ah, got you. Seems weird though since Bugenhagen kinda implies that thats it once the planet dies. Then again Bugenhagen is clearly not all knowing. But since the Gi seemingly did not return to an "universe lifestream" I am not sure about that dev haha.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
Dirge itself is the official source of the universal lifestream! Maybe it contradicts itself, haven't played it.

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
Guess I'm gonna be the asshole again, but I don't think Nojima and Co. like, care very much that some of their ideas don't really make sense when stacked up against each other (cough Rebirth ending cough).

The world of FF7 itself is a good example of that. Like, Midgard and surrounding regions (like what we visit in Rebirth) are essentially "The West", a mishmash of various western mythologies and cultures (Nordic, Greek, Celtic, Jewish) being blended together without much rhyme or reason, but also there is a Japanese language being plastered all over, and the mob boss named "Don Corneo" lives in the Chinese castle. None of this makes any sense. If Nojima thinks something is/sounds cool, he puts it in.

And don't even get me started on the ethnicity and how Wutaians (very clearly Asian/Japanese coded) and being able to blend in perfectly well with the "western" population of Midgard.

Last edited:

convo

Oct 25, 2017
You know it would be a really funny side-quest in the next game where you have to help the people that look like the changed wanted posters and Reeve having to apologize.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
Guess I'm gonna be the asshole again, but I don't think Nojima and Co. like, care very much that some of their ideas don't really make sense when stacked up against each other (cough Rebirth ending cough).

The world of FF7 itself is a good example of that. Like, Midgard and surrounding regions (like what we visit in Rebirth) are essentially "The West", a mishmash of various western mythologies and cultures (Nordic, Greek, Celtic, Jewish) being blended together without much rhyme or reason, but also there is a Japanese language being plastered all over, and the mob boss named "Don Corneo" lives in the Chinese castle. None of this makes any sense.

Midgar is hyper-Tokyo, c'mon. A place already filled with technology, English advertising, multi-cultural influence (but especially "Western"), trains that literally encircle the heart of the city, old buildings completely demolished or absent, and increasing poverty. Wutai is "old" Japan, whose values were increasingly forgotten as it was reduced to tourism in the capitalist age, which is one way of looking at famous shrines and temples these days. Funny how the conflict between these two keeps ramping up in the compilation.

There's a lot that doesn't make sense in FF7 but it's weird to single out cultural mish-mashing as one of the bigger problems. It's a very time-honored tradition in Dungeons & Dragons, which was a huge direct influence on the first FF.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
There are people who are Asian outside of Wutai who aren't Wutaian, Tifa being the most prominent one. Her mother is from the Junon Republic.

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
Midgar is hyper-Tokyo, c'mon. A place already filled with technology, English advertising, multi-cultural influence (but especially "Western"), trains that literally encircle the heart of the city, old buildings completely demolished or absent, and increasing poverty. Wutai is "old" Japan, whose values were increasingly forgotten as it was reduced to tourism in the capitalist age, which is one way of looking at famous shrines and temples these days. Funny how the conflict between these two keeps ramping up in the compilation.
K, how do you explain Junon, Mideel, Gongaga, Cosmo Canyon, Corel etc? To be clear, I'm not saying that you are wrong, but the Tokyo influences are just another thing thrown into the blender.
There's a lot that doesn't make sense in FF7 but it's weird to single out cultural mish-mashing as one of the bigger problems. It's a very time-honored tradition in Dungeons & Dragons, which was a huge direct influence on the first FF.
I didn't say it's "a problem", let alone one of the biggest ones. But it's the indication of approach to the lore and world building as a whole, it's pointless to ponder whenever or not the mechanics of Lifestream as presented in Rebirth are compatible with FFX, when I'm pretty sure the authors weren't really bothered with it. Yes, the Gi plot line doesn't make sense if the game was supposed to share the universe with FFX, but also Aerith preforms sending dance in the Temple of the Ancients twice. Contradiction is the name of the game here.
There are people who are Asian outside of Wutai who aren't Wutaian, Tifa being the most prominent one. Her mother is from the Junon Republic.

First things first, Tifa and Aerith. Interestingly, both of their first names are derived from the same origin: the Tiferet, a particular sefira, or branch, of the Sefirot in the Kabbalah. Now, I'm not gonna get into the discussion about whether or not that makes Aerith or Tifa Jewish, since it's just their first names and they clearly don't think they're Jesus.

Since Tifa, like Cloud, comes from Nibelheim, that would make her Danish too, wouldn't it? Though her last name, Lockhart, is actually of Scottish/German origin, from the words "lock" and "hart", meaning "hardy".

Now, I don't remember where it was that I heard that Nomura apparently said he designed Aerith as distinctly more "Western" and Tifa more "Eastern" to show their dichotomy, but I do remember there was that whole "fiasco" in 2019 from the JP fandom that complained about Aerith's face and thus she was redesigned to be "cuter" for the final game. (Tokyosaurus has a good video covering it.)

But at the same time, nowhere in any official source like the Ultimania or any interviews that I can find can confirm if Tifa is meant to be specifically "Asian". She certainly has some genetic traits that match East Asians, but then again, straight black hair and deep reddish-brown eyes aren't exclusively Asian traits. (And as far as I can tell, neither she nor Aerith have the distinctive "Asian fold" at the front of their eyes that is partly responsible for why some East Asians seem to have smaller-looking eyes.) There are plenty of people of the Mediterranean who are Caucasian, but also have such traits, and they aren't necessarily mixed-race or descended from Asians. Granted, there is quite a bit of cross-culture finagling going on there thanks to their proximity to the Middle East, which has been a thing since ancient history and partly why many European languages have origins in Proto-Indo-European.

But ya know what, if people wanna headcanon Tifa as having Japanese ancestry or something, go for it. She at least looks the part.
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFanta...7_characters_had_real_world_ethnicities_part/

Last edited:

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
K, how do you explain Junon, Mideel, Gongaga, Cosmo Canyon, Corel etc?

I didn't say it's "a problem", let alone one of the biggest ones. But it's the indication of approach to the lore and world building as a whole, it's pointers to ponder whenever or not the mechanics of Lifestream as presented in Rebirth are compatible with FFX, when I'm pretty sure the authors weren't really bothered with it. Yes, the Gi potline doesn't make sense if the game was supposed to share the universe with FFX, but also Aerith preforms sending dance in the Temple of the Ancients twice. Contradiction is the name of the game here.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFanta...7_characters_had_real_world_ethnicities_part/
They've never distinctly outright said it but between Advent Children and Remake she is clearly meant to look Asian. Her pops doesn't look it much but we've never seen her mom so I always have assumed she's mixed white and Asian.

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
They've never distinctly outright said it but between Advent Children and Remake she is clearly meant to look Asian.
I would lie if I've said that I'm seeing this. She looks like a semi-realistic anime person to me, same as everyone else in the party. Like, here's Tifa next to Aerith, who supposed to be a "western" (Caucasian?) one. Can you really tell any difference in the ethnicity? They both look similar except Aerith has a longer/slimmer face

GHcTr4jaQAA7ea8
GHcTr4mbAAAkj-e

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't feel like the game treats races as distinct ethnic/regional specific traits.

There are black people in several very different locations. Most characters have epicanthic folds if you look closely, by the way even when they have more distinctly European features otherwise.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I would lie if I've said that I'm seeing this. She looks like a semi-realistic anime person to me, same as everyone else in the party. Like, here's Tifa next to Aerith, who supposed to be a "western" (Caucasian?) one. Can you really tell any difference in the ethnicity? They both look similar except Aerith has a longer/slimmer face

GHcTr4jaQAA7ea8
GHcTr4mbAAAkj-e
I'm not going to get to deep into this before it turns into some eugenics shit lol. The game is heavily stylized even compared to something like Advent Children but Tifa's skin tone (when the lighting hasn't gone to shit) and rounder face are apparent. The hair type and style are another giveaway.

Just looking at it on the surface she does Asian martial arts, they gave her the "sexy" Cheongsam dress and the Kimono in Wall Market, her hairstyle in Costa del Sol is very Asian, etc. Like I said before, she's likely meant to be mixed but they haven't shied away from the "Asian" side of things at all. Compare that to Aerith who has distinctly Western style everything. Then there's Nomura/Nojima's intentions with their different personalities perhaps embodying elements of Eastern and Western culture.

There's Marlene, Madam M, and the Shinra Middle Manager as well who aren't specified as Wutaian but look Japanese.

The lore hasn't gotten into if only Wutaians have typical Asian features and that there was some long ago diaspora of people to the Eastern continents at some point but yeah there are Japanese signs all over Midgar along with some people who look Asian. Its not a completely divorced thing where Midgar is full of only European people. Its definitely a cultural mish-mash but so is a lot of stuff in the Cyberpunk genre. VII just tends to lean more Dieselpunk.

In the end, its better not to worry too much about how they sort of threw different cultures into a blender. They had to retcon some of the Native American elements of Cosmo Canyon so not to offend now that people know better and then there's Gongaga that seems styled after South East Asia but the people there don't have distinct features of the region.

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't feel like the game treats races as distinct ethnic/regional specific traits.

There are black people in several very different locations. Most characters have epicanthic folds if you look closely, by the way even when they have more distinctly European features otherwise.

I'm not going to get to deep into this before it turns into some eugenics shit lol. The game is heavily stylized even compared to something like Advent Children but Tifa's skin tone (when the lighting hasn't gone to shit) and rounder face are apparent. The hair type and style are another giveaway.

Just looking at it on the surface she does Asian martial arts, they gave her the "sexy" Cheongsam dress and the Kimono in Wall Market, her hairstyle in Costa del Sol is very Asian, etc. Like I said before, she's likely meant to be mixed but they haven't shied away from the "Asian" side of things at all. Compare that to Aerith who has distinctly Western style everything. Then there's Nomura/Nojima's intentions with their different personalities perhaps embodying elements of Eastern and Western culture.

There's Marlene, Madam M, and the Shinra Middle Manager as well who aren't specified as Wutaian but look Japanese.

The lore hasn't gotten into if only Wutaians have typical Asian features and that there was some long ago diaspora of people to the Eastern continents at some point but yeah there are Japanese signs all over Midgar along with some people who look Asian. Its not a completely divorced thing where Midgar is full of only European people. Its definitely a cultural mish-mash but so is a lot of stuff in the Cyberpunk genre. VII just tends to lean more Dieselpunk.

In the end, its better not to worry too much about how they sort of threw different cultures into a blender. They had to retcon some of the Native American elements of Cosmo Canyon so not to offend now that people know better and then there's Gongaga that seems styled after South East Asia but the people there don't have distinct features of the region.
Ergo: anime people. Cultural/Ethnic mashup of the world makes no sense, don't think about it. There is no point obsessing over details because details don't matter, the story isn't some intricate web of connections, it's being assembled by smashing together Lego blocks.

And that's fine, that's how tons of stories are made, what annoys me is when creators are trying to imply there is something deeper beneath the surface. Like Nojima invoking Jung/Yogachara, and then you start looking into that and realize it doesn't really mean anything or those two philosophies are even particularly compatible with each other. And then you realize that Nojima probably read some books about those and was like "Hey, that part is neat, I'm gonna put it in the game".

And to be clear, this isn't like a major criticism or anything, hell Kojima does that a lot and people consider him like a deep thinker or whatever. My point is that those things (games/movies/shows/books ect) aren't really usually as thought out as some people assume.

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020

The world of FF7 itself is a good example of that. Like, Midgard and surrounding regions (like what we visit in Rebirth) are essentially "The West", a mishmash of various western mythologies and cultures (Nordic, Greek, Celtic, Jewish) being blended together without much rhyme or reason, but also there is a Japanese language being plastered all over, and the mob boss named "Don Corneo" lives in the Chinese castle. None of this makes any sense. If Nojima thinks something is/sounds cool, he puts it in.

And don't even get me started on the ethnicity and how Wutaians (very clearly Asian/Japanese coded) and being able to blend in perfectly well with the "western" population of Midgard.
I don't see the correlation at all. Final Fantasy has always taken influence from several different cultures and mythologies, those being blended together in certain areas for a fantasy world isn't the same thing as a new plot point clarification putting to rest an old debate on how seriously one should consider an easter egg to be canon.
Ergo: anime people. Cultural/Ethnic mashup of the world makes no sense, don't think about it. There is no point obsessing over details because details don't matter, the story isn't some intricate web of connections, it's being assembled by smashing together Lego blocks.
It only doesn't make sense if you are expecting it to adhere to the way the real world is. And even then, the world is currently moving to a place where it wouldn't matter either. Like I live in an area with a lot of diversity. I can go walk down a street and see different businesses owned by people of different ethnic and cultural backgrounds. Does my town make no sense? I'm just not sure what it is you're trying to say here.

Last edited:

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
So in my grind on the zack/cloud bout I learned I want to be grabbed by bahamut something I did not do in my sephi/cloud run.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
They've never distinctly outright said it but between Advent Children and Remake she is clearly meant to look Asian. Her pops doesn't look it much but we've never seen her mom so I always have assumed she's mixed white and Asian.

For Remake there is an interview where they decided that Tifa would have an "Asian" look and Aerith a "Western" look (their words, equating white European with "Western".) The juxtaposition also suggests that its a consideration rooted mainly in the waifu wars.

Oct 31, 2017
Besides Gilgamesh, are there any other secret bosses to know about? Do we have additional bosses via the combat simulator as we did in Remake? I got the Corsair Compass in Ch. 13 before finishing the game, and I'm going back to 13 to clean up the side quests and check out what I missed in the Golden Saucer, to which I ended up doing a lot of stuff there.

I'm also curious what Johnny has in that chest.

Oct 25, 2017

This is mentioned in Rebirth.
Midgar has a large Wutaian population, because a lot of them immigrated there for work to help build the city, before the war.

Tifa being the most prominent one. Her mother is from the Junon Republic.

I don't remember this.
She grew up in Nibelheim in Trace of Two Pasts.

My theory is that they were the natives of the previous planet Jenova attacked.
We know from Advent Children that she used to use the husks of planets to travel across the cosmos to find new ones.
So I think she rode the remnants of their homeworld to Gaia and they were along for the ride.

brain_

What is a tag? A miserable pile of words.
May 13, 2021
MO
My theory is that they were the natives of the previous planet Jenova attacked.
We know from Advent Children that she used to use the husks of planets to travel across the cosmos to find new ones.
So I think she rode the remnants of their homeworld to Gaia and they were along for the ride.
I've got the same theory, except that they ran from Jenova to Gaia and she tailed them

CypherSignal

Oct 25, 2017
Besides Gilgamesh, are there any other secret bosses to know about? Do we have additional bosses via the combat simulator as we did in Remake? I got the Corsair Compass in Ch. 13 before finishing the game, and I'm going back to 13 to clean up the side quests and check out what I missed in the Golden Saucer, to which I ended up doing a lot of stuff there.

I'm also curious what Johnny has in that chest.
Deep in the combat sim, yes, there are a couple unique bosses and other noteworthy match-ups, and some bosses have expanded or unique attacks/mechanics than when you fought them previously.

Most notably, "Rulers of the Outer World"'s Gilgamesh uses far different attacks than when you fight him in his dojo, and there's a Virtual Sephiroth that has an entirely different moveset and script than the final boss.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah.
That doesn't say they were from the Republic though.
It's a Republic era photo.
I think the implication is there because Nibelheim didn't seem to ever be particularly wealthy or feature the "grasslands" mentioned in the picnic photos. Its just a small slice of info but it gave me the impression that Tifa's mother's family is not originally from Nibelheim either way.

xenosys83

Mar 19, 2024

I imagine the main scenario will be free from fan feedback and theory input, but outside of the classic turn-based system, a lot of VII Rebirth was essentially a legacy fans wet dream in terms of the diversity and amount of content on offer. It wouldn't surprise me if Hamaguchi took some fan feedback post-Remake on-board and filled out the world with some suggestions of what fans wanted included in the game.

It evidently took inspiration in different ways from almost every PS1+ era title and somehow managed to incorporate them all into this game without it looking goofy or out of place. You have the FF8-style card deck game, the gambit system from 12 in Gears and Gambits, the folio system which is a lite version of the sphere grid from 10, the stagger system from 13, the open-world philosophy of 15. Then you've got all the classic mini-games from 7 and then some.

From looking through various forums and social media over the last couple of months, long time fans of the series mostly seem to love the game even if some aren't too keen on the story choices/direction towards the end.