• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Venuslulu

Oct 28, 2017
I mean does the name "watchmen of fate" even takeaway from the Sephiroth clone theory? Seems like pieces of Seph still.

The name likely refers to Sephiroth thinking it's his fate to join the planet. They are there to make sure it happens or something.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
in all my years involved with ff7 i personally have not met a single person who gave a shit about genesis, but he must have some fans out there some place...

Well I know Tumblr and fanfic communities love him. I'm just unsure of how many and how loud that group actually is.

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
  • Aerith and Tifa are double heroines. One has a western-style look and the other an eastern-style look.

It's rather strange in a way: I had read that the Japanese still regret Aerith's death and are still angry with Nomura. They also said that Aerith's personality represented the soul of the Japanese woman. But since Aerith does have a western look, I guess it's a little confusing.
I can' t wait to see the final result.

Ubernube

Oct 27, 2017
It could be a new department. XV is three years old now.
I doubt it, most corporations tend to have departments like that, they just often not have a lot of power depending on who they're dealing with. A dev like Taro for example would probably never listen to them, assuming Enix would even bother having them work with him (I mean, 2B's booty and self destruct is a thing). Also FFXIV is introducing the Viera, which is basically a bunny girl race with skimpy outfits, so skimpy outfits and boobs is not exactly something they probably have much issue with, assuming they even have contact with that team. They can probably at most suggest things and devs listen as, or if, they want to.

Ethics can also be translated to code of conduct - and every large organisation has either departments or functional roles within organisations dealing/responsible for those kind of things.

You know, bribery, theft of information, sexual harassment, inappropriate depiction, etc.

Basically what he said.

Last edited:

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
It's rather strange in a way: I had read that the Japanese still regret Aerith's death and are still angry with Nomura. They also said that Aerith's personality represented the soul of the Japanese woman. But since Aerith does have a western look, I guess it's a little confusing.
I can' t wait to see the final result.
The soul of Japanese women? Mah days, this sounds like the opinions of a nutjob basement dweller.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
This all sounds great! I'm intrigued by "The watchmen of fate" and hope they have lots of new elements like that, also glad they're modernising but not removing the Wall Market section.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
The soul of Japanese women? Mah days, this sounds like the opinions of a nutjob basement dweller.
Don't know about the original text but that sounds like a try at translating the term "Yamato Nadeshiko" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamato_nadeshiko.

I don't want to speak too much on that cause I don't have the cultural background but at face value it seems like restrictive view of societal gender roles where ideals are subscribed to women through the male lens.

Mostly chiming in to maybe clarify what soul of japanese women could be cause that just kinda sounds weird.
Rip x) snail me.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
What if they have an unskippable cutscene of Cloud spending a good few minutes changing clothes and erasing his make up in the sewers.

Outfit-changing spins don't work in realistic settings, Mr. Strife.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I see we're playing the Watchmen of fate bingo! Alright, how about... Them being good willed Cetra trying to help Aeris out, despite their look? Dunno.

Nov 4, 2017
Square Enix ethics department?

blanche.gif

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
"watchmen of fate"? Fuck they're going to let you save Aerith aren't they? Jesus fuck.

Hell yes. Definitely not in the first playthrough, but I wouldn't mind at all if a player could do it in a new game plus after some considerable effort.

Frankly, I feel like the original game doesn't do enough with her death and it'd be more entertaining with her around.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
If Cloud doesn't look like he's about to walk the runway of Rupaul's Drag Race I will be disappointed.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Ethics can also be translated to code of conduct - and every large organisation has either departments or functional roles within organisations dealing/responsible for those kind of things.

You know, bribery, theft of information, sexual harassment, inappropriate depiction, etc.

Oct 27, 2017
"watchmen of fate"? Fuck they're going to let you save Aerith aren't they? Jesus fuck.
That's not at all the impression I got. More that the characters will have these entities hanging around them during the game and not knowing what fate they are trying to prevent happening. Aerith always had a connection with supernatural beings (although originally that was only the voice of the planet), I do get the impression she will realise what her own fate is before it happens though and still accept it though. But we'll see.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
I hope you can change names. I want aeries please and i want cloud to seduce don corneo. As an 11 year old, it opened my mind up......

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
What if they have an unskippable cutscene of Cloud spending a good few minutes changing clothes and erasing his make up in the sewers.

Outfit-changing spins don't work in realistic settings, Mr. Strife.

It'll be far, far better if he has to stay in drag until he gets back to a safe house.

Frunkle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good for Square Enix to have an "Ethics Departement" but, my dude, if you still need a fucking Ethics Department to tell you how not to design your female characters in the year of our lord 2019 maybe just think about that for a couple of minutes.

You're right, they shouldn't have one. That's totally the solution to this.

pauloshinobi

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I am not expecting a literal transcription of the original game, but man I'm really afraid of these nomurazations dumbing down by over explanation and removal of subtlety some parts of the plot.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Additional info on watchmen of fate.
-watchmen of fate is not the same as the black haze from Advent Children... but it might have some connection at the very deep level.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
Everything sounds great to me.

I'm intrigued about the watchmen of fate and totally cool with them expanding the lore providing the core plot doesn't change.

I need to hear more!

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
ethics depo needs to order some beef on those arms

This reminds me of some kind of fetish(?) I recently noticed on social media. Super muscular Tifas, like super-heavyweight bodybuilder muscular Tifas. I wonder what that was about and what sparked it, lol.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
It'll be far, far better if he has to stay in drag until he gets back to a safe house.
I actually assume he'll get back to his regular threads in the mansion before falling down the trap, as we see Cloud already looking like his usual against the ninja turtles and Aps.

As long as we get the "chopping, ripping, smashing" threat, I'm good.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't particularly like the Honey Bee scene in the original game and based on how other Japanese developers have handled similar issues I'm pretty wary of it.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
Even the entry for her under that trope noted her being "more stubborn, coy and mischievous than the standard" in the original game.
A lot of people associated Yamato Nadeshiko characteristics with Aeris only because she wears dresses and sells flowers, that's it. Having a kind heart isn't exactly THE defining trait for her but unfortunately the image stuck just like Tifa's size issue overshadowing Aeris's more extroverted, headstrong and trollish personalities.

Tifa fits the trope way more personality wise being more reserved and nurturing with a strong determination. After she gets over her inner conflicts of course, character development yay.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
What if these watchmen of fate are ... The Fayth? Kitase did say that X and VII are the same universe right?

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Tifa fits the trope way more personality wise being more reserved and nurturing with a strong determination. After she gets over her inner conflicts of course, character development yay.
Funnily enough, I checked and the page also mentions this (that Tifa matches it better than Aerith does).

TVTropes really has everything covered, sheesh.