What should happen to Aerith in the FFVIIR saga?

• She should die, it's her destiny

Votes: 395 57.7%
  • She should live, fuck destiny

Votes: 289 42.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ah. I had an elemental with ice on clouds armor plis a cast of hasteand then just went to town because nothing could hurt him. I didn't even notice that she could heal, because he kept piling on the dmg.

Overall setup to get through everything is something like
Cloud:Healing, 2 MP ups, 2 HP ups, elemental ice, revival, prayer and steadfast block I think. Twin stinger as weapon, chain bangle armor, champions belt accessory
Tifa:Same setup as Cloud but with a barrier for leviathan in place of prayer and no steadfast block because of lack of a slot. Mythril claws and supreme brace as armor, champions belt accessory
Aerith: magnify heal, time, revival, MP ups, HP ups. Guard stick, arcane bracelet and healing carcanet
I did the ice with element thing I was still taking damage on cloud, both materia maxed out

May 26, 2018
Maybe it's partly the voice actress being amazing, but I feel quite a bit more invested in Tifa than I was before. She honestly feels like the most relatable character of the bunch to me. Who wouldn't feel overwhelmed at times by all this shit lol.

One of the most underrated parts of the game is interacting with that Shinra manager. How there's all this tension between him and Barret through multiple encounters and he doubles down on the Shinra team propaganda out of fear.

Then when the shit goes down, Tifa tells him to get himself and others out, and he's like, "but you're Avalanche" and she says "I don't want you to die" and they both understand each other.

That's a great moment, and is the kind of material that makes the game more than the sum of its parts.

Tampler

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
Man, I've probably sounded harshed that I actually wanted to lol. This must have been discussed too a million times already, since I must be one of the later members finishing the game and we're already on page 280. I would have loved to join the discussion when things started to leak so I could read all of your impressions. Just for the record, for me, VII Remake is still a 9.5/10 game, I think the effort the team put into the project is phenomenal and something that the game industry itself should be thankful of. But yeah, I needed to express my anger at what the game tried to pull at my face during the last hour. I think I will warm up to the ending over these days, though.

Can't wait to hear more about Part 2.

My opinion matches yours exactly. Loved the game (my game of the year so far), but that last chapter just left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. On the one hand, I respect what they are trying to do. But at the same time, wish this game wasn't where they attempted it. Curious to see what happens in part 2...

On an unrelated note, I completely forgot that Rufus Shinra would appear in this. Been many years since I played the original, but I could have sworn he made his entrance much later in the original. Really enjoyed his Boss fight and overall design in this.

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
How do you stop Sephiroth getting absorbed into the lifestream and causing geostigma? Strap him to the rocket they shoot into the sun?

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ah. I had an elemental with ice on clouds armor plis a cast of hasteand then just went to town because nothing could hurt him. I didn't even notice that she could heal, because he kept piling on the dmg.

Overall setup to get through everything is something like
Cloud:Healing, 2 MP ups, 2 HP ups, elemental ice, revival, prayer and steadfast block I think. Twin stinger as weapon, chain bangle armor, champions belt accessory
Tifa:Same setup as Cloud but with a barrier for leviathan in place of prayer and no steadfast block because of lack of a slot. Mythril claws and supreme brace as armor, champions belt accessory
Aerith: magnify heal, time, revival, MP ups, HP ups. Guard stick, arcane bracelet and healing carcanet
Who's the final boss

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Who's the final boss
Fight 1: Shiva
Fight 2: Fat Chocobo
Fight 3: Leviathan. Use manaward when it does tidal wave
Fight 4: Bahamut. Have weapons with reprieve and Aeriths 2nd limit for mega flare
Fight 5: Pride and joy. Final shinra robot. Easier than bahamut honestly.
I did the ice with element thing I was still taking damage on cloud, both materia maxed out
With a fully leveled elemental? That's weird. Her attacks should be healing you....

Zaki2407

May 6, 2018
Well, I've been patient enough to not entered this thread for a few months. But now I've finished the game and I can look what you all been discussing here. 270+ pages? Wow...

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
So... I finished the game last night and posted here saying that I would try to piece my thoughts together on the ending.

As I played the game, I had already theorized that the remake was operating on some kind of "New Game +" timeline from the original game and that Aerith and Sephirot were their PS1 counterparts. The scenes with Sephiroth at the beginning alluding to a reunion would make the player think he's talking about the Nibelheim incident, but when the Whispers started appearing and were always trying to keep the game events as close as possible to the original game, I figured out there was someone/something trying to mess with the timeline.

I thought the foreshadowing with Aerith (her knowing how events would play out, the shady camera shots whenever something suspicious came up and the flashforwards) would lead to the reveal that Sephirot and Aerith came back to the planet at the end of the original game, reincarnating on another timeline thanks to the Lifestream. I thought this would lead to an interesting dynamic between these characters and the rest of the group since Aerith would surely keep stuff hidden from them in order to succeed again in her mission.

Overall, I really liked the game up until Chapter 18. The changes up until that point were all on point with the original game and setting. However... that last chapter was really upsetting. First of all, I want to say that I have no problem with this being a sequel, with the story having big changes and I even supported the project regularly in here whenever people argued about them rewriting the game and ignoring the original. Whoever wants to play the original story can do it by playing the original game, that's fine. The remake needs to be its own thing.

But... the ending was just slapped on this because...? It doesn't flow into the game tone at all, it doesn't follow the same setting and worldbuilding rules from the rest of the game neither. Why are we travelling to another dimension in which Midgar is getting destroyed, buildings floating in the sky, while Aerith is spouting nonsense dialogue that the other characters just ignore, and we get Zack flashbacks with absolutely no relation to what is happening or what Cloud is feeling? Like, they had the perfect moment to tease the Zack/Cloud twist when Hojo mentions it upon meeting Cloud, but they slapped Zack into the ending just because.

Did we really have to raise the stakes like this? The entire Midgar climax was perfect as it was. Did we really need a floating city-enormous monster destroying everything finale? We already got the Jenova fight, the Rufus fight, the two machine bosses... if it was in my hands, I would have ended the game with Sephirot waiting for the group at the end of the highway, and then introducing the alternate timeline twist with actual dialogue between him and Aerith/the group.

It saddens me to say that I can't justify Nomura's choices anymore. I'm a big fan of him, he has built my favorite stories and characters over the course of gaming's stories, but he is really hitting low recently for me. I've grown tired of his narratives. It's evident that he has become a fan of alternate timelines, time travels and multiverse stories, and he's inserting it in his new works. So now we're getting it in every new game of him regardless if it even fits the product he is making. Final Fantasy VII Remake is a case of the director not respecting the work he is making, shoehorning certain ideas and plotpoint just for personal enjoyment?, over making a cohesive body of work with a coherent vision.

And well, if it was the first time he pulled this kind of stuff, I wouldn't be mad. But as I already said, he is one of my favorite creators in this medium. I've followed his career, interested in whichever project he worked on because I knew I would connect with it. But these years have been rough. Really rough. He has become an unfocused creator. He comes up with new ideas, interesting takes on his own creations, but can't commit to what has already been created. The finale of KH's first arc felt like it changed from all the build-up done in the spin-offs to KH3, in which he became more interested in exploring multiverse ideas. And the focus on the Xehanort conflict switched to give more importance to the plot points introduced in Chi. We've already had other cases of Nomura obsessing over a concept and recreating it in every new game (does anyone remember the ensemble cast concept that he pulled up with KH2, Crisis Core, Type-0. (I know he didn't direct it)..?)

I was also starting to fed up with Nomura's objective of trying to make something out of the content he wanted to create for Versus. While Kingdom Hearts is the worst offender out of it and I had assumed VII would reuse some of Versus concepts, I thought Aeris being dead, lingering souls wandering the planet and Rufus challenging Lupus/Ravus Nox Fleuret would be it. Yet we got city destruction setpiece with a gian enemy! Destiny's crossroads! Ghosts guarding up a gate preventing the protagonists to fight against fate!

I don't know. We didn't need this in this game. The finale missed the mark, was over the top and I think its purpose was to create controversy and serve as an another "shock moment! haha" for social media after the internet kept hyping up the "Nomuraaaa" narrative just like what happened with Hideo Kojima. We're now getting incohesive, incoherent stories that rely on shock value related to fanfiction material.

I liked the metacommentary about the fans trying to keep the remake as close as possible as the originals and the characters fighting against it. But in this case I think Nomura forgot include a God character that created the universe and then became uninterested in the world he had created.

Man, I've probably sounded harshed that I actually wanted to lol. This must have been discussed too a million times already, since I must be one of the later members finishing the game and we're already on page 280. I would have loved to join the discussion when things started to leak so I could read all of your impressions. Just for the record, for me, VII Remake is still a 9.5/10 game, I think the effort the team put into the project is phenomenal and something that the game industry itself should be thankful of. But yeah, I needed to express my anger at what the game tried to pull at my face during the last hour. I think I will warm up to the ending over these days, though.

Can't wait to hear more about Part 2.
Great post. You echo a lot of my thoughts on it.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, I've been patient enough to not entered this thread for a few months. But now I've finished the game and I can look what you all been discussing here. 270+ pages? Wow...

Same, avoided entering this thread until I completed the game. Took me about a week of constantly playing.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One of the most underrated parts of the game is interacting with that Shinra manager. How there's all this tension between him and Barret through multiple encounters and he doubles down on the Shinra team propaganda out of fear.

Then when the shit goes down, Tifa tells him to get himself and others out, and he's like, "but you're Avalanche" and she says "I don't want you to die" and they both understand each other.

That's a great moment, and is the kind of material that makes the game more than the sum of its parts.

Agreed. I was kinda hoping he would appear again at some point to see if his perspective had changed at all, but I don't remember seeing him or his family among the survivors after the plate fell...

Weeros

Apr 11, 2020
I wanted it to stay the same.

Stop using vague definitions like "same". Same could be exactly what you have on PS4 and Switch and frickin' iOS now, or it even kinda mean a 90%-70% retread that the "remake" was. There's a huge spectrum.

Do it like this: "I wanted the main story elements to stay the same. I wanted them not to break the internal logic of the story with nomuraisms. I wanted the graphics, audio and systems to be updated, and I wanted additional content that expands the characters and setting."

See? Now people know what you mean by "same".

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like how Scarlet is still blatantly evil even when she's on national television, and how little Midgar's citizens seem to care. Just how often does she go around stomping news cameramen?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a hardcore fan of FFVII, played all the games except for Before Crisis, hell I even genuinely and unironically enjoy Advent Children and Crisis Core additions to the canon.

And well, I loved what was done with the Remake. It's a what-if story, a tangent to the original.
It allows for a new story that both newcomers and veterans can enjoy.

The game isn't without faults, there are some empty moments and it can be as beautiful as ugly looking (midgar.png anyone ?), but story wise, I love it.

It's far, far more interesting than 1:1 remakes imho.

Oct 25, 2017
Stop using vague definitions like "same". Same would be exactly what you have on PS4 and Switch and frickin' iOS now. There's a huge spectrum from that to what we had in the "remake".

Do it like this: "I wanted the main story elements to stay the same. I wanted them not to break the internal logic of the story with nomuraisms. I wanted the graphics, audio and systems to be updated, and I wanted additional content that expands the characters and setting."

See? Now people know what you mean by "same".
The reply was in regards specifically to the story so why would he have to say all that lol

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
On weapon it adds the element to attack, on gear it adds the element to defence. Same as in the original.
No, it makes a difference. If elemental + element is on your weapon, you do elemental damage. If it's on your armor, you gain elemental resistance.
Lol now it all makes sense. Yeah put it on your armor to get defensive immunity. If it's on your weapon you'll heal her instead cos you'll be doing ice dmg
I wish I had 2 magnify materias, one for barrier and one for heal

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stop using vague definitions like "same"
I was responding to the person that said nobody wanted the story to be the same. I wanted the story to be the same.

As in... not changed. As in, no timetravel multiverse bullshit with a botched reveal of the main villain and a license to write a completely new story after the events of Midgar.

But alas, that was too much to ask.

Graphics, audio, combat, and other systems have nothing to do with the story. I expected those to be updated because I played the massive bait and switch that is the demo.

crimilde

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 26, 2017
How do you stop Sephiroth getting absorbed into the lifestream and causing geostigma? Strap him to the rocket they shoot into the sun?

Sephiroth was able to retain his sense of self in the Lifestream by focusing on his hatred for Cloud. Cloud's memories of him are what help him keep coming back.

You'd need to off Cloud for Sephiroth to have no tether to the human world.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm a hardcore fan of FFVII, played all the games except for Before Crisis, hell I even genuinely and unironically enjoy Advent Children and Crisis Core additions to the canon.

And well, I loved what was done with the Remake. It's a what-if story, a tangent to the original.
It allows for a new story that both newcomers and veterans can enjoy.

The game isn't without faults, there are some empty moments and it can be as beautiful as ugly looking (midgar.png anyone ?), but story wise, I love it.

It's far, far more interesting than 1:1 remakes imho.

I also unironically enjoy Advent Children. There's dozens of us!

MillionStabs

Jan 11, 2018
Significantly less interested in the next game now that I've beaten this. Sephiroth boss fight/ One winged Angel blew its load, weight of the sacrifice of the Avalanche crew and Zack is gone, now there's no telling how dumb it's gonna get with Nomura's Kingdom Hearts bullshit in the story. Maybe once I watch Max's videos about it and see some more info I'll turn around on it, but initial reaction to that ending is bad

Also Roche really showed up for one chapter and then dipped, huh?

Last edited:

Weeros

Apr 11, 2020
I was responding to the person that said nobody wanted the story to be the same. I wanted the story to be the same.

As in... not changed. As in, no timetravel multiverse bullshit with a botched reveal of the main villain and a license to write a completely new story after the events of Midgar.

But alas, that was too much to ask.

Graphics, audio, combat, and other systems have nothing to do with the story. I expected those to be updated because I played the massive bait and switch that is the demo.

I still have no idea if you're ok with the topside mission. Or Jessie flirting with Cloud some more. Or the Shinra building expo. Or not showing Avalanche base. I hated the points where the story added the contrived timeline elements and I don't like that much meta in my good story, but I have no idea if I agree with you or not.

I dislike the argument "purists just wanted it to be 1:1 remake", which you see now just everywhere now. Hope we could do better here, that's the point of this whole conversation, isn't it? Not just to declare your hate but try to get why someone else found it the greatest thing ever. At least that's what I'm trying to do and I've gotten some really good responses and understood other people's point of views.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Significantly less interested in the next game now that I've beaten this. Sephiroth boss fight blew its load, weight of the sacrifice of the Avalanche crew and Zack is gone, now there's no telling how dumb it's gonna get with Nomura's Kingdom Hearts bullshit in the story. Maybe once I watch Max's videos about it and see some more info I'll turn around on it, but initial reaction to that ending is bad

Also Roche really showed up for one chapter and then dipped, huh?

I assume Roche will show up again in a later part. Didn't really have anywhere else they could have shown up in part 1.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still have no idea if you're ok with the topside mission.
No not really. Felt like filler that just slowed everything down and pushed off everything I was looking forward to. The core gameplay is good, so it wasn't intolerable to play through stuff like that, but I'd skip it if given the choice. It added nothing, and would ultimately be inconsequential in teh grand scheme of things. This is why Midgar is only maybe 8 hours in the original game. There's bigger and better things to get to, so wasting time on pointless side stuff isn't adding anything to the experience.

The entire Shinra building mission is fucked IMO because all the added filler ruins the tension. Especially when you get out of your cell and see the trail of dead bodies leading to the president. Don't even get me started on the Tifa monkey bars shit. That might be the most painful gameplay experience in the whole Remake, because it just seemed to exist ONLY to pad out the playtime... which wasn't needed at all. That goes for shit like "The Drum" which was at least an hour long "puzzle" section with way too many combat encounters where you're just going through the motions until it's all over. Again, didn't add anything to the experience, and is the moment in teh game when I turned it down to easy so everything would go faster and I could button mash through all the combat because I just couldn't be bothered anymore. The only time I turned the difficulty back up was the Rufus fight, which was excellent, but then I turned it back down because I just wanted to see the end for myself and put the game down forever.

I could rant endlessly about the things I didn't like here and I don't think there's anything anyone could say that would make me understand the point of view of people that liked this Remake. Unless you just don't care about the story at all and are in it for the combat and visuals. Then I can understand.

StormBrute

Oct 26, 2017
The "Tifa not reacting" kinda goes with probably my biggest gripe that Tifa overall seemed kinda off most of the remake. Her general lack of convictions, self blaming and passive attitude seemed kinda weird and I don't remember her being this much of a worrywart in the original. This is capped by her just being slightly troubled by Sephiroth but not that much more. She seemed pretty distant most of the time, and the interactions I liked the most wtih her bizarrely was on the stairs, or when she's confused about Cloud saying "5 years"
Frankly, I imagined she was tougher in the original but perhaps that was just my projection(there's always room for that without voice acting).

Her characterization in Remake isn't completely absent some nuance but at times it still comes off as pandering to fanfic writers to me.
Maybe it's partly the voice actress being amazing, but I feel quite a bit more invested in Tifa than I was before. She honestly feels like the most relatable character of the bunch to me. Who wouldn't feel overwhelmed at times by all this shit lol.

Though I'll admit, there were a few too many "Cloud steps in to save/protect Tifa" moments for my liking.
Yeah, it absolutely kills me to say this, but despite her VA being great, they absolutely butchered Tifa's character to make her into some "waifu." She's not allowed to react to stuff beyond being sad and meek (anger at Shinra beyond clenching her fist once? anger at Sephiroth? trying to keep Cloud in sector 7? nah, that's too aggressive, she just has to be sweet and understanding).

What's more, every moment where she displayed confidence or took action on her own in the original has been replaced by someone else doing it for her, and she is constantly portrayed as completely useless and in need of saving by whatever other man is in the scene. The vast majority of the time it's Cloud grabbing her and pulling out of the way of something falling even though it adds NOTHING to the scene beyond wanting to have another moment of her being completely useless, but Barret gets in on it too and they even have Leslie push her out of the way of Abzu! Leslie! Tifa can't do ANYTHING by herself in this game.

They try to pull some BS "oh she's totally empowered, go girl" by giving her two moments where she displays her strength by punching random enemies that mean nothing to the plot at all (the Eligor fight and one of the test subjects after saving Red XIII). It's like they wanted to distill her character down into a friendly shy girl trope and chopped everything else about her off. The stupid ending I can compartmentalize as stupid new stuff, but I can't ignore Tifa's characterization in the same way. It's absolutely the worst portrayal of any of the characters in the game and made me mad as it went along.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Tifa was always the soft-spoken, considerate girl who could beat stuff up. Aerith was the one with more agency despite being the healer archetype.

It was deliberate role reversal based on their aesthetics. If anything, Tifa does more this time around than in the original. Fleshing out her character only shows that she's always been demure and supportive towards Cloud. Which I guess doesn't resonate with some people's image of her.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that scene doesn't imply Genesis is the next villian. Quite the opposite.

But don't take my word for it, read the segment from the Crisis Core Ultimania.

Genesis vs. Seph rematch without Genesis' inability to heal from wounds (thus being at full strength) would be a fight I'd love to see in the remake, if they retconned it to bring him in the plot earlier than DoC in the new timeline.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Tifa was always the soft-spoken, considerate girl who could beat stuff up. Aerith was the one with more agency despite being the healer archetype.

It was deliberate role reversal based on their aesthetics. If anything, Tifa does more this time around than in the original. Fleshing out her character only shows that she's always been demure and supportive towards Cloud. Which I guess doesn't resonate with some people's image of her.

I've never once heard of the devs corroborating this but perhaps you have some sources? Seems like a boring oversimplification.

She was somewhat of a blank slate.

Status
Not open for further replies.