What should happen to Aerith in the FFVIIR saga?

• She should die, it's her destiny

Votes: 395 57.7%
  • She should live, fuck destiny

Votes: 289 42.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2017
For some reason that made me realize this is a game where you're trying to find some cats that a five-year old kid lost at the playground, but also a game where you enter a singularity outside time-space continuum, fly around, cut some skyscrapers with your sword and fight the physical embodiment of destiny to the death. Really hammers down the tonal inconsistencies everyone is talking about..

I mean, the original itself was tonally inconsistent too.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
No? You might want to listen to her dialogue again. She says "and that's all there is to it? You sure there isn't something else going on?" and then a chapter later gets jealous at Aerith grabbing Clouds arm and joking around saying "MINE".

It's not about making Tifa a self absorbed character. It's discussing a specific issue about jealousy towards the other female character just for being close with the guy she likes. It's was a bad scene to include in the game and made her look bad in that moment considering the circumstances. They mostly cut it out with the jealous crap once chapter 11 is over which is a good thing.
I feel like Tifa had a similar line in the original though? I don't like it but it's not new

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason that made me realize this is a game where you're trying to find some cats that a five-year old kid lost at the playground, but also a game where you enter a singularity outside time-space continuum, fly around, cut some skyscrapers with your sword and fight the physical embodiment of destiny to the death. Really hammers down the tonal inconsistencies everyone is talking about..
This is literally every JRPG with sidequests

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Okay everytime I rewatch the Marlene scene with Aerith I get teary eyed. The VA from that kid was amazing.

I think she was awful in the original game but the Remake definitely made her worse at points. I think Cloud had to rescue her at least 10-15 times which is a fucking LOT for a character that is supposed to be a "badass"

I can say they did a much better job writing her and Aeriths friendship. The only time it was poorly done is when they felt the need to write in her jealousy and insecurity about Aerith. You have Jessie throwing herself at Cloud but no reaction yet Aerith just being there makes her jealous?

Like the other members of Avalanche she understands Jessie is just putting up an act, she is an actress. Hell, Wedge literally tells Cloud this.

Jun 11, 2019
No? You might want to listen to her dialogue again. She says "and that's all there is to it? You sure there isn't something else going on?" and then a chapter later gets jealous at Aerith grabbing Clouds arm and joking around saying "MINE".

It's not about making Tifa a self absorbed character. It's discussing a specific issue about jealousy towards the other female character just for being close with the guy she likes. It's was a bad scene to include in the game and made her look bad in that moment. They mostly cut it out with the jealous crap once chapter 11 is over which is a good thing.
Tbh, I didn't really immediately get jealousy outta that stuff in that graveyard, she was just scared shitless of the spooky mess.

Which is whole other can of worms I'm not particularly fond of. Either way, it's probably not a discussion getting into, I guess. Just ignore me lol

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'd much rather they skip the open world completely. Just keep being linear to really focus on the story telling. The SSD will no doubt help them to get rid of some of those slow moments where you constantly need to crawl under stuff.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Tifa had a similar line in the original though? I don't like it but it's not new
Not that I remember and definitely not during the sewers part since there isn't really the same choice outcome like in the remake that gives a scene before the other wakes up.

The jealousy part isn't new though if that is what you mean. She getd mad at Shinra HQ when they are in prison.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I think each chapter will be a different location with little to no connective tissue in part 2. Something like:
1. Kalm
2. Mythril Cave
3/4 Junon
5. Boat
6. Costa Del Sol
7/8 Corel
9. Golden Saucer
10. Dyne
11. Golden Saucer 2
12. Gongonga
13/14 Cosmo Canyon
15. Nibelheim
Golden Saucer at 9 just like Wall Market, beautiful

However, I feel like neither Cosmo Canyon or Nibelheim are penultimate, ultimate locations respectively. Like what would the final dungeon be. Nibelheim mansion?

Nah. They'll get to Nibelheim and then there will some complete nonsense pulled by Sephiroth so they have to beat apathy to summoning their Buster swords using the power of awakening. Honestly I expect a couple of chapters pulled out their arses (also a chapter dedicated to Yuffie probably around Gonganga)

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Tifa and Aerith are supposed to be close friends but that never really came across in the original game, they did a much better job with their relationship in the remake.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Her family is almost assuredly dead, however like Biggs she could be alive. I hope so anyway, she is my favorite character in the game that isn't a core team member.
You know this could actually be a good change and I could see them thinking this way. Keep Jessie alive, but have her lose her family. Having her cope with the loss of that could be interesting, maybe that's why they introduced them.

DyCy

Oct 25, 2017

That criticism probably applies to any other rpg that has world ending stakes (for example The Witcher 3 also has space-time shenanigans while you're solving low stakes problems for random folks, including more lighthearted stuff).

It's normal for a big game to have some range in its tone, that doesn't mean it's a bad thing. The only thing that matters is the pacing, and FF7R is well handled on that front IMO.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
You know this could actually be a good change and I could see them thinking this way. Keep Jessie alive, but have her lose her family. Having her cope with the loss of that could be interesting, maybe that's why they introduced them.

I think it could cause her to drop the act she is always putting up and finally become serious about things. Although I do enjoy her playful banter.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Okay so I realize some people didn't like the J E N O V A orchestration in the beginning but having that and then suddenly hearing the original version was probably one of my favourite moments.
Like the other members of Avalanche she understands Jessie is just putting up an act, she is an actress. Hell, Wedge literally tells Cloud this.
Ehhh Jessies crush is very real but her clingyness is an act. I think the fact is they just didn't care to write any kind of relationship between Tifa and Jessie so they ignored any idea of her being bothered by Jessie being so OTT with Cloud.

Tifa and Aerith are supposed to be close friends but that never really came across in the original game, they did a much better job with their relationship in the remake.
I agree and hope they continue with it for the rest. The moments between them was pretty well done. There should be scenes of them doing things together in part 2.

I also want Red and Aerith to have buddy moments.

Mar 18, 2020
I'm not a fan of thirsty Jessie but part of that is probably the script difference in Japanese as well. Too many tropes🤢

That was probably because they knew she was going to bite it and didn't put in the effort

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Was Aerith's VA really inconsistent, or is it just me? It was always good but I swear it sounded like two different people were voicing her at times. Am I going crazy? I still don't have a sense of what she actually sounds like and I'm almost done with my hard playthrough.
I sort of agree with you that she was inconsistent sometimes, but I was subscribed to her youtube channel before she even announced she was gonna be in the same so I was already familiar with her. Think it was just me hearing her normal voice beneath Aeriths on occasion than anything lol. I think she did a great job overall

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Not that I remember and definitely not during the sewers part since there isn't really the same choice outcome like in the remake that gives a scene before the other wakes up.

The jealousy part isn't new though if that is what you mean. She getd mad at Shinra HQ when they are in prison.
Huh, I feel like I really remember a "so it's nothing more?" line from her, maybe it was actually from Aerith though

Tengrave

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
If Gongaga is in the next one as well, we are in for some serious time with Zack. I guess Vincent might just be the Red XIII of that game then. With the party but maybe not playable.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Also I'm saying it now. SE better make it four playable characters for part 2. We already had a 4th guest who assisted and really the only reason I can excuse three playable in Part 1 is because you almost never get a moment with all four party members playable.

VII has 9 party members and I don't want to be limited to three like the original. GIVE ME FOUR SE.

I want my dream team of Cloud, Aerith, Red and Cid.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, i don't think so. Both OG endings are "bad" endings for all parties, no need to complicate things further with another entity imo
Also we don't talk about DoC
0B3nL8E.jpg

The world doesn't end in FFVII or the compilation. There's something else at play here.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
I completely forgot Cait Sith appears in one of the CGI cutscenes for like 0.2 seconds. What the fuck was that about? LMAO

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
0B3nL8E.jpg

The world doesn't end in FFVII or the compilation. There's something else at play here.
If that was the case than why show the vision of Red 13 500 years in the future and why would that vision be concerning enough for Red to say this is our future if we don't defeat fate now, and give the party the agency to do it? The implication to me is that the excess use of liestream stop meteor is eventually unrecoverable for humanity or the plane't wellbeing

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017

Sephiroth is manipulating the team imo.
He's showing them visions of parts of what happened, like Midgar being destroyed, but not Holy saving the planet.

If that was the case than why show the vision of Red 13 500 years in the future and why would that vision be concerning enough for Red to say this is our future if we don't defeat fate now, and give the party the agency to do it? The implication to me is that the excess use of liestream stop meteor is eventually unrecoverable for humanity or the plane't wellbeing

Same reason. Red is seeing the abandoned Midgar and thinks "Everyone died and we lost".

Lulu

Oct 25, 2017
Sephiroth is manipulating the team imo.
He's showing them visions of parts of what happened, like Midgar being destroyed, but not Holy saving the planet.

Same reason. Red is seeing the abandoned Midgar and thinks "Everyone died and we lost".
That's what I mean. That vision was enough to give the party the motivation to stop fate because it was a "bad ending". No need to throw in another random party

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Hmm I see not everyone is much of a fan of the meta textual nature of the plot changes in remake. Personally I REALLY enjoyed it. I like the theme of defying fate and also the prospect of getting an alternate timeline, or even ways of exploring ways they may not be able to escape it if that's the case.

it may not be as easily digestible in a diegetic literal sense, but personally I'm fine with the game getting abstract. That's just me though.

Weeros

Apr 11, 2020
Sephiroth is also talking about the planet naturally ending / becoming something like the cosmic dust one day, but not him, because it's his plan to basically merge with the planet..

Although if he now already has these future seeing powers from just having floated in lifestream, I'm not sure how much powerful he needs to become. But in the original it was at God/planet range so maybe there's still room to grow.

Byvar

Oct 26, 2017
Here's an idea I had:
Sephiroth shows it to the party after they've defeated the whispers, no? Which means this is what they're headed toward in the current Remake timeline, not the one everyone had visions of before...
Considering the original FFVII has the Lifestream (which Aerith is part of) appear right before impact and stop Meteor, I suppose this might happen if Aerith survives in this timeline and doesn't become part of the Lifestream. Which I guess would end in Aerith still having to die to save the planet even if they can save her where she died in the original timeline.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Replaying on HM after having the ending sink in, and I honestly love the changes.

This is so much more interesting than a straight up remake, and they handled how they approached it really well.

I have no idea if they'll stick the landing, but this is even better than I'd hoped for. Such a great way to reinvigorate the story while staying respectful to the original.

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
Tbh, I didn't really immediately get jealousy outta that stuff in that graveyard, she was just scared shitless of the spooky mess.

Which is whole other can of worms I'm not particularly fond of. Either way, it's probably not a discussion getting into, I guess. Just ignore me lol

Tifa was jealous — watch the scene and when Aerith grabs Cloud's arm the camera briefly splices to Tifa with a surprised/annoyed look on her face.

I don't understand the criticism that Tifa was jealous; it doesn't diminish her. Strong women aren't unemotional women. And feeling something is not the same as making a big deal out of it.

I feel like it's another awkward case of posters having trash ideals of what good characters are like.

Feb 13, 2018
New Jersey
I just finished it and...are there going to be concurrent realities going on? One that follows the story as we know it and another were Zack and Cloud reach Midgar? Is Aerith still going to die? How did Jenova know it's fate? As Tifa said, "Well...now what?"

Lulu

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished it and...are there going to be concurrent realities going on? One that follows the story as we know it and another were Zack and Cloud reach Midgar? Is Aerith still going to die? How did Jenova know it's fate? As Tifa said, "Well...now what?"
we don't know if zack surviving and the one we are playing it is the same, I think they are. There's nothing specifically that refutes Cloud not being brought and left in Midgar by Zck

Feb 13, 2018
New Jersey
Replaying on HM after having the ending sink in, and I honestly love the changes.

This is so much more interesting than a straight up remake, and they handled how they approached it really well.

I have no idea if they'll stick the landing, but this is even better than I'd hoped for. Such a great way to reinvigorate the story while staying respectful to the original.
I agree. I already know what happens in FFVII, I don't want to play that game again. I respect Square's ambition to tell the story differently and bring something radically new to the familiar.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I never played the original so I was a bit confused with the ending. Now that I've read about it, I'm super excited. I understand people being upset about this not being a proper remake, but I'm always happy to see them experiment with new stuff and ideas.

I mean, having a Final Fantasy VII where Aerith doesn't die, for example, would be amazing. How different would everything be if that didn't happen? And if they're doing the overlapping timelines, that's even more exciting to me.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Tifa was jealous — watch the scene and when Aerith grabs Cloud's arm the camera briefly splices to Tifa with a surprised/annoyed look on her face.

I don't understand the criticism that Tifa was jealous; it doesn't diminish her. Strong women aren't unemotional women. And feeling something is not the same as making a big deal out of it.

I feel like it's another awkward case of posters having trash ideals of what good characters are like.
This is silly nonsense and seems very defensive over criticism towards a videogame character.

The issue isn't Tifa having a common human emotion. It's her prioritizing that emotion during an inaproppriate moment when her friends and home are at risk of being crushed. It was a poorly placed scene during a crisis. Even worse is they decide to have this chat while Aerith is STILL passed out lmao

alpha

Oct 25, 2017

Regarding Aerith I died laughing when she did that. She's always been more straight up about how she feels about stuff than Tifa, but that was such a chad power move that it was hilarious.

Tifa was like "wait da fuq" when that went down lol.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Everyone did die, humanity is wiped out within 500 years

In the 23 years since I've played the game, I've never thought that. Midgar's abandoned and humanity moved on - you can heard children's laughter in the ending.
The real-life equivalent is Chernobyl; it being empty doesn't mean humanity is dead.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Hell house on hard was amazing. prolly best combat system in a jrpg for me.

drooling at the possible improvements for the next game... tag team moves maybe?

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
In the 23 years since I've played the game, I've never thought that. Midgar's abandoned and humanity moved on - you can heard children's laughter in the ending.
The real-life equivalent is Chernobyl; it being empty doesn't mean humanity is dead.

EGM: At the very end of FFVII, we see the epilogue to the whole story that takes place 500 years later, so really, you still have another 497 years' worth of games and movies to fill in....

Kitase: Ha, maybe I'll try to do that. In a way, I consider that epilogue to be the true happy ending of FFVII. Well, it's a happy ending even though all the human beings are destroyed. [Laughs]

The party might have stopped Sephiroth, but humanity still paid the ultimate price for abusing the planet as much as they did.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
The ending was left ambiguous for a reason. They definitely wanted players to question whether or not Holy deemed humanity not worthy of keeping and the game makes it very clear that it could happen. The entire goal is to protect the planet.

Kitase also mentioned everyone dying at the end of VII and it seems consistent with him since he wanted to kill a lot of characters originally. It's possible the Remake will go with Holy wiped out humanity or they'll just leave it up to interpretation again.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
as far as improvements go, tag team moves would be great yeah. Also being able to maybe set some behaviours for characters you're not controlling ? (Like auto using barrier for instance when it's down).

I feel also that stuff like deadly dodge could be part of the base moveset. It doesn't feel so necessary that I feel it's taking up a slot, but then not having it will sometimes feel weird

Jun 11, 2019
as far as improvements go, tag team moves would be great yeah. Also being able to maybe set some behaviours for characters you're not controlling ? (Like auto using barrier for instance when it's down).

I feel also that stuff like deadly dodge could be part of the base moveset. It doesn't feel so necessary that I feel it's taking up a slot, but then not having it will sometimes feel weird
Being able to adjust ai behavior feels like a must, really hoping something like that makes its way into the sequel

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
we don't know if zack surviving and the one we are playing it is the same, I think they are. There's nothing specifically that refutes Cloud not being brought and left in Midgar by Zck

Different stamp. One is a bloodhound (current timeline) and the other is a Boston terrier (alternate timeline).

Status
Not open for further replies.