• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
ey5o_gtvcaen3a1-jpg.6300

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
twitter.com

☆オードリーAudrey☆ on Twitter

“#FF7RUltimania Sephiroth appearances (continued) 16) Ch 18- Illusion (appears at the end of Midgar Highway) 17) Ch 18- Unknown (appears at the other side of the Wall of Fate) 18) Ch 18- Unknown (Fights Cloud and the others)”

final_fantasy_7_remake__cloud_vs_sephiroth__by_venom_rules_all_ddq0jj9-fullview.jpg

In chapter 17, in front of JENOVA, it says it was a black robed man that "everyone can see." What does everyone see? Does TIFA see a black robe, or does she see an image of Sephiroth?

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017

So it's pretty obvious now Hollow is about Aerith. It makes me wonder specifically about this part in the lyrics.

"With your every smile
Hiding something more
Dark mysteries
Lurking beneath"

We already know this but it's clear Aerith is hiding a lot and I wonder how that will eventually play out when she is revealing what she knows. With the whispers gone it makes it even more curious as to why she doesn't just spill shit lmao

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
In chapter 17, in front of JENOVA, it says it was a black robed man that "everyone can see." What does everyone see? Does TIFA see a black robe, or does she see an image of Sephiroth?

Tifa at least saw Sephiroth because the first thing she says when entering the Presidential office is "where is Sephiroth?".

Rats

Oct 25, 2017

ekka4shiki

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
twitter.com

☆オードリーAudrey☆ on Twitter

“#FF7RUltimania Sephiroth appearances (continued) 16) Ch 18- Illusion (appears at the end of Midgar Highway) 17) Ch 18- Unknown (appears at the other side of the Wall of Fate) 18) Ch 18- Unknown (Fights Cloud and the others)”

final_fantasy_7_remake__cloud_vs_sephiroth__by_venom_rules_all_ddq0jj9-fullview.jpg

She saw Sephiroth-figure like Palmer and everyone else.

I mean, let's say if she just saw a black robe man there, it still didn't explain her non-reaction. He's Marco, black robe man number 49. You'd think Tifa would recognize her close neighbour back at the slum.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
so with the soundtrack out at 156 songs

Your new home for music - Android Apps on Google Play

Enjoy millions of the latest Android apps, games, music, movies, TV, books, magazines & more. Anytime, anywhere, across your devices.

it's missing some songs compared to https://store.na.square-enix-games....e-original-soundtrack-special-edit-version-cd
www.jp.square-enix.com

TRACKLIST | FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK

This sprawling selection of tracks from the long-awaited title spans seven discs and features "Hollow," the brand-new theme song from composer Nobuo Uematsu!

one of those songs is Stamp

Anyone have a list of the other missing songs?

I'm guessing it's missing disk 8 in general?
qaPWRvd.png

which disk 8 in general is confusing because the set calls itself a 7 disk set lol.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Disc 8 is just the Jukebox songs for the special edition.
Ah. So they are likely all the missing songs from the soundtrack then. Now I need to figure out a way to legally get them so I don't have to just go to youtube to listen to the missing songs as I need to own the Stamp theme.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
After reading the Q&A I am even more confused about the ending of REMAKE (and I beat FF7, albeit more than 15 years ago).

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't remember if I pointed this out: but the official title for OST track that plays after your first vision of Sephiroth in chapter 2 is titled "CYCLE OF SOULS". I am willing to bet this is an allusion to the nature of time in Final Fantasy VII remake. Not timelines, but time-cycles. Time as per the lifestream is cyclical and oft-repeating.

www.jp.square-enix.com

This sprawling selection of tracks from the long-awaited title spans seven discs and features "Hollow," the brand-new theme song from composer Nobuo Uematsu!

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember if I pointed this out: but the official title for OST track that plays after your first vision of Sephiroth in chapter 2 is titled "CYCLE OF SOULS". I am willing to bet this is an allusion to the nature of time in Final Fantasy VII remake. Not timelines, but time-cycles. Time as per the lifestream is cyclical and oft-repeating.

www.jp.square-enix.com

Could be, but it could also just be a reference to living beings originating from the lifestream and returning to it after death to then incarnate into new living beings, i.e. the cycle of life

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There are tons of missing songs from the just-released OST, including all three of my top three tracks from the game.... Where they jump from the train on the way to the second reactor, the theme on the trek towards the pillar (where the Turks theme kicks in) and the cutscene right before going through the singularity portal.

Are those tracks, and any of the other missing ones, anywhere online?

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Finally beat the game. I really hate this kind of ending. So many things are left for players to piece them together. So many things left unexplained. I dont know how I can understand anything had I not played the OG FF7 and Crisis Core. I agree with some explanation in OP. This game feels like the dev is trolling with the die hard FF7 fans who want everything to remain unchanged from the OG.

Oct 31, 2017
Okay 1: the last two hours of the game are nearly fucking perfect

2:

During the ending, the scene with Marle; the plate appears to be partially fallen, right?

Oct 31, 2017
There are tons of missing songs from the just-released OST, including all three of my top three tracks from the game.... Where they jump from the train on the way to the second reactor, the theme on the trek towards the pillar (where the Turks theme kicks in) and the cutscene right before going through the singularity portal.

Are those tracks, and any of the other missing ones, anywhere online?

there might be an "OST Plus" which was a thing for FFIX and XIII/XIII-2 I think

that, or we'll just have to wait for people to eventually upload the "unreleased tracks"

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Cloud dies and is replaced by Nanaki wearing Cloud's outfit, awkwardly trying to stay on two legs.

Rods

May 1, 2020
Okay 1: the last two hours of the game are nearly fucking perfect

2:

During the ending, the scene with Marle; the plate appears to be partially fallen, right?
I already made a huge post about this with images and everything, the plate that's partially broken is sector 6 because of the Zirconiade fight (the one that's intact is sector 7).

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
lvcwjpsxak3h.png

One reason I'd like to see Aerith survive in the different universe, is because her walking out the sleeping forest would be an emotional final shot.

I don't think the alternatives would be as powerful.

Four big story changes according to the Ultimania

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
So to re-iterate, these are the big 4 story elements that the Ultimania says are new for the Remake:

1)
"What does Aerith know?". The text notes Aerith frequently knows things she shouldn't. The examples given are ch 8 where she knows Cloud is a SOLDIER, ch 10 where Tifa calls her out for hiding something from her (about the plate falling), and her knowing Marlene's name. About her meeting Marlene, her shushing gesture after apparently giving Marlene a vision is described as "What you saw just now is a secret for just the two of us". A screenshot of Cloud's division of Aerith's OG death during the church scene in ch 8 is stated to be "An influence of meeting Aerith?".

2)
"What is the goal of the phantom Feelers [Whispers]?". It provides a table of all the Whispers' actions and reasons for them throughout the game, though the reason for them appearing around Zack is given as 'unclear'. The text states, "apparently, what the Whispers regard as 'fate' seems to be the story of the original FF7... if that's the case, now that Cloud and co have crossed over the destroyed Whispers' wall of fate, the destination of Cloud and co's journey from here on is a point of interest."

3)
"Who is the Sephiroth that appears at the end?". This comes with a table listing Sephiroth appearances - illusions, Sephiroth copies (clones), Cloud's memories of Sephiroth from the past, and lastly, "?", described as "someone who is not a black cloaked man, who can be recognised by people other than Cloud as Sephiroth."

The text states after listing them, "out of these, the one whose identity cannot be guessed even if you have knowledge of the original game, is the Sephiroth who appears at the end. Furthermore, the 1st type of Sephiroth [the illusions] has strictly speaking two patterns: 1) a Sephiroth called forth from within Cloud, and an Sephiroth of an unknown origin. Furthermore, the black cloaked men who can be seen as Sephiroth, due to the influence of Jenova's cells which allow them to project illusions but, at the start of the story Cloud only sees the form of Sephiroth.

4)
"What meaning does Zack's victory have?". The text states that the scene of Zack being chased by Shinra and being shot to death was, depicted in the OG and in Crisis Core, Zack's last moments (his death). But the text continues, "this event of "Zack finishing off the Shinra troops and surviving", is an unexpected development." In one of the captions it also that while the setup was the same as in those OG and CC versions, "the result [of the event] differs greatly".

Further: "Also, the scene of Zack carrying an unconsious Cloud and Cloud and Aerith leaving Midgar passing by eachother. That this is a scene that is impossible in reality, is also clear from the existence of two Clouds. Because the two of them don't recognise each other's presence, it can be guessed that it isn't that they are in the same time and place, but at present nothing beyond that is understood." It also then mentions the changed Stamp design after Zack's victory. And then in a caption: "The Buster sword Zack entrusted to Cloud is also carried by Zack, this is a odd scene. If Zack lived, shouldn't it be that he didn't give the sword to Cloud...?"

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So to re-iterate, these are the big 4 story elements that the Ultimania says are new for the Remake:

"What is the goal of the phantom Feelers [Whispers]?". It provides a table of all the Whispers' actions and reasons for them throughout the game, though the reason for them appearing around Zack is given as 'unclear'. The text states, "apparently, what the Whispers regard as 'fate' seems to be the story of the original FF7... if that's the case, now that Cloud and co have crossed over the destroyed Whispers' wall of fate, the destination of Cloud and co's journey from here on is a point of interest."

Thank you!

Questions:

1. Can you translate what the Whispers are doing at the end of Chapter 17 when they surround the Shinra tower? I still do not understand what is going on there.

2. Can you possibly explain or find any explanation in the Ultimania as to why the Whispers create that large wall? If Cloud and company were to leave midgar, why are they preventing them now? or are they just preventing Sephiroth, or something?

3. I also do not understand this paragraph below. What are the two patterns of Sephiroth that occur within Cloud? Maybe you can clarify.

The text states after listing them, "out of these, the one whose identity cannot be guessed even if you have knowledge of the original game, is the Sephiroth who appears at the end. Furthermore, the 1st type of Sephiroth [the illusions] has strictly speaking two patterns: 1) a Sephiroth called forth from within Cloud, and an Sephiroth of an unknown origin. Furthermore, the black cloaked men who can be seen as Sephiroth, due to the influence of Jenova's cells which allow them to project illusions but, at the start of the story Cloud only sees the form of Sephiroth.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
3. I also do not understand this paragraph below. What are the two patterns of Sephiroth that occur within Cloud? Maybe you can clarify.

Fairly sure it's just indicating that prior to Ch.17, all present forms of Sephiroth are illusions: Either as illusions with no physical form (ch.2), or illusions with cloaked men (ch.3, ch.8). In the latter instances they are not the same as Ch.17, as Tifa and Aerith do not see Sephiroth in those instances, so it's still just something in Cloud's mind.

Crashnburn85

Oct 25, 2017
California
So, apologies if this has been discussed before, but there are a massive amount of pages to get through in these threads...

In the Chapter 14 resolution with Aerith, I'm trying to understand the driving factors behind the statements Aerith makes:
  1. Mentions that everyone dies eventually and "...we need to make the most of the time we have..."
    1. Is this hinting at her knowing about her fate per the OG FF7?
  2. "I'm glad I met you Cloud...I am grateful for all the words we've shared. For all the moments and the memories. You've made me more happy than you know. And I'll always cherish what you've given me "
    1. My first impression of this, being that they haven't really spent a lot of meaningful time together thus far in the story, is more her thanking/making amends with the "memory of Zack" which essentially lives on in Cloud. With their previous dialogues about Aerith's past boyfriend (Zack), and the similarities to Cloud, it feels like she likely has some impression of Zack in Cloud's persona. Anyone else get that?
  3. "But whatever happens, you can't fall in love with me...Even if you think you have, it's not real." -- **cue grown man tears*
    1. So my impression is that this supports the #2 statement where she would have some impression that Cloud has been driven by Zack's memories and persona, and thus the feelings he has for her are not his own, but remnants of Zack. It may also play into #1 where she has some understanding of her fate and thus the warning to not fall in love with her is tied to the heartbreak that would be born from that outcome.
This was honestly one of my favorite scenes in the Remake (can't believe some people won't see it if they've been hot for Tifa throughout the game!), and I really appreciate the potential allusions and intricacies the conversation held when considering the above. Just wondering what the general consensus was around the hints in her dialogue.

Rods

May 1, 2020
So, apologies if this has been discussed before, but there are a massive amount of pages to get through in these threads...

In the Chapter 14 resolution with Aerith, I'm trying to understand the driving factors behind the statements Aerith makes:
  1. Mentions that everyone dies eventually and "...we need to make the most of the time we have..."
  2. "I'm glad I met you Cloud...I am grateful for all the words we've shared. For all the moments and the memories. You've made me more happy than you know. And I'll always cherish what you've given me "
    1. My first impression of this, being that they haven't really spent a lot of meaningful time together thus far in the story, is more her thanking/making amends with the "memory of Zack" which essentially lives on in Cloud. With their previous dialogues about Aerith's past boyfriend (Zack), and the similarities to Cloud, it feels like she likely has some impression of Zack in Cloud's persona. Anyone else get that?
  3. "But whatever happens, you can't fall in love with me...Even if you think you have, it's not real." -- **cue grown man tears*
    1. So my impression is that this supports the #2 statement where she would have some impression that Cloud has been driven by Zack's memories and persona, and thus the feelings he has for her are not his own, but remnants of Zack. It may also play into #1 where she has some understanding of her fate and thus the warning to not fall in love with her is tied to the heartbreak that would be born from that outcome.
This was honestly one of my favorite scenes in the Remake (can't believe some people won't see it if they've been hot for Tifa throughout the game!), and I really appreciate the potential allusions and intricacies the conversation held when considering the above. Just wondering what the general consensus was around the hints in her dialogue.
I still believe when Cloud says he's coming for her, the first thought that crosses her mind is the AC talk between the two of them.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

1) Aerith knows her fate is coming soon.

2) I think she knows they'll still spend more time together but again, she sees herself as dying soon.

3) Her death is going to hurt him and he's also not himself so those feelings may not be true to him according to her. It's definitely a reference to his identity issues.

I still believe when Cloud says he's coming for her, the first thought that crosses her mind is the AC talk between the two of them.

100% agree.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
The bit about Zack all but confirms multiple timelines, in my eyes.
Most certainly, yeah.

Which makes me wonder: what's the endgame with an alternative reality where Zack survives? Will it eventually cross over with the main one? Will it "just" be there to show us how fucked up the Planet would be were Cloud not be on his OG path?

The mere existence of such a plot device and actually showing Zack so early is something that, imo, really hurts (or can hurt) future games by robbing many important moments of their original effectiveness. Because the overall original journey seems to be the plan still, unless they're misleading us.

I wonder if they feel that they have a powerful enough plot beat here that makes this all worth it. As in, I'll still strongly feel this is a mistake, regardless. But yeah, I'm very curious.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Most certainly, yeah.

Which makes me wonder: what's the endgame with an alternative reality where Zack survives? Will it eventually cross over with the main one? Will it "just" be there to show us how fucked up the Planet would be were Cloud not be on his OG path?

The mere existence of such a plot device and actually showing Zack so early is something that, imo, really hurts (or can hurt) future games by robbing many important moments of their original effectiveness. Because the overall original journey seems to be the plan still, unless they're misleading us.

I wonder if they feel that they have a powerful enough plot beat here that makes this all worth it. As in, I'll still strongly feel this is a mistake, regardless. But yeah, I'm very curious.

I share your concerns. I think it's unlikely to resolve itself in a clean, satisfying way. But hey, I'd love to be proven wrong.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I share your concerns. I think it's unlikely to resolve itself in a clean, satisfying way. But hey, I'd love to be proven wrong.
Yeah, I'm trying to be optimistic myself, but the big new plot points and scenes added in this game leave me pretty worried.

Honestly, while I'd prefer that not be in the game (or rather have it after Zack is introduced), a potential window into what kind of world and characters result from Zack surviving is, ngl, interesting. But, above all, I find it worrisome and unnecessary.

And I don't want to go there, but this whole ordeal really feels fanservicy.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Most certainly, yeah.

Nah it might work out great. Imagine Cloud tells his whole story, and later on Sephiroth clarifies the whole story for everyone, and in the picture you see Zack instead of Cloud. Would still be super wild

Rods

May 1, 2020
Nah it might work out great. Imagine Cloud tells his whole story, and later on Sephiroth clarifies the whole story for everyone, and in the picture you see Zack instead of Cloud. Would still be super wild
Yeah, just because we see Zack in that one scene, doesn't mean he will show up later on with your party.
And if you don't know what happened in Nibelheim, you still don't know that Cloud thinks he's Zack in the incident.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
So we really going multiverse route right now?
If so, I'm hella hype about the possibilities..