D8v7o0aUIAA6Zgy.jpg

D8v7oztUEAA8Knu.jpg

D8v7o0KUYAA_7k_.jpg

Those renders are so good that they almost deserve its own thread lol

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
When it comes to companies trying to nickel and dime me, I have very, very little patience.

Also, all of my favorite parts of VII take place after you leave Midgar. I never wanted to spend that much time there.
You do you, but if you aren't at least willing to wait things out until they're more concrete, you might end up missing out on a good thing. Fact of the matter is that a lot of important variables are still up in the air, not the least of which is whether the game will actually end up being good, so you're just kinda shouting at the top of your lungs for nothing right now.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
I am so incredibly excited to play a reimagined version of my favorite game. but I'm a little disappointed that it seems a couple summon materia are locked behind more expensive versions :/ I guess this is ff7 in 2020, huh.

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason I thought he said this part will be releasing on 2 blu ray discs because its aka filled with so much content and that the first disc is solely Midgar. Guess I heard it wrong.

I never played FFVII but people make it seem like Midgar is like 4 hours of the original 40+ hour game.

Watching that fight, it looks like a typical FF game, nothing breathe taking but I still want to play this.

I really liked FFXV, that boss fight in this trailer did nothing for me. Somewhat underwhelming.

First time players took between 10-17 hours for Midgar, I took about that... it was the first disc out of three. It was soo insane though back in the day... you go through the whole city and then to just get out and your in the big ass world on foot.

not sure why ppl are surprised I knew this is how they would do it... that its 2 blurays shit is just pr speak... its probably because they textures are just really big lol.

Ive said for years they will make three full releases out of this game... but they will have to save a good amount and add a good amount for the third release, because the only reason it was 3 discs in the OG release was because the third disc was just the last dungeon you fight Sephiroth at, but the game let you revisit every town including Midgar..

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
they should have remade FF7 at the tail end of the PS2 gen, this multi episode, 10 year development cycle stuff is just nonsense

FF7 with FFXII's visuals would have been perfect

even now i would prefer it to this tbh

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
okay guys, im going to need you to please help me gif all the times tifa shows up in this trailer beating the shit out of enemies. i need it....

Feb 16, 2018
Can't remember the last time I've been this excited for a new Final Fantasy. I'm hoping we see Red XIII next trailer.

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
It looks really good but sadly it seems it'll take years for the whole game to be remade.

Wonder if they'll push Red XIII or anyone else earlier into the story.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
is one whole game in Midgar really that bad? I always felt they could have done much more with the townspeople and the other Plates that we never got to explore. Midgar always felt like that hybrid cyber/steampunk I've always wanted.

we might finally get to see loveless lol

As much of one as I am

Oh cool I'm not alone. but that motorcycle man, it was calling my name. I always felt bad about missing it the first time around.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
no way they are gonna take that long... 3 years max having to sale a part 2 on another system is bad enough.. late 2021 would be ideal
If it's just Midgar, either they fill in alot of the later plot points into the city, or we are waiting another 2-3 years at least for the second part. The world is much larger than just Midgar and if most of that time is creating the city and stuff to do there, then think about how they deal with the larger world. The other cities. Do they do Junon in a similar fashion or what? How about Golden Saucer? How do they handle these places and how you travel between them?

If they go with the same level of scale as we are seeing here, we are talking a very, very long time. The alternative to this is how they solved the second half of FFXV, which was an absolute mistake and a horrid way to handle it.
Hope you like riding a train from place to place without any actual exploration.
HD towns are hard guys.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
There are definitely better ways around it, but due to the way SE operates, the only way to do FF is to blow things out as much as possible and then take years or decades to actually complete a game. It started with XIII and that continues to be the trend. It took them close to 5 years to make XIII, 10 to make VersusXIII, and we are closing in on 4 years with FF7R. SE needs to desperately look at restructuring and rethinking how they handle the FF franchise because it looks it takes them years to just figure out how to put together the basics of a game. Literal years.

It takes time to develop games, but this is ridiculous on a completely different scale.
I mean, yeah. I see people are very surprised in this thread but anyone who's played the original game knew that extrapolating FFVII to modern development standards was insane, MAYBE not as insane as the first part just being Midgar but insane nonetheless. Open world games like TW3 are very expansive but they reuse a lot of assets and locations like Novigrad, while big, are still at a manageable scale. Remaking FFVII this way makes me think Square Enix is either very crazy or very brave, but as frustrating as it might be I still think is commendable.

This could be the first step in creating games on a new scale we've never seen before.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You do you, but if you aren't at least willing to wait things out until they're more concrete, you might end up missing out on a good thing. Fact of the matter is that a lot of important variables are still up in the air, not the least of which is whether the game will actually end up being good, so you're just kinda shouting at the top of your lungs for nothing right now.

I never asked for this remake. The last thing I wanted was Square Enix wasting a huge chunk of their creative talent on it, which was why the outsourcing was fine for me.

Now, that huge chunk of talent will be locked away for another decade, if not more than that. Meaning less actually new games from them.

May 31, 2018
The combat looks so good. They really outdid themselves.

Right?! It looks so good. We haven't even seen yet how to get around Midgar. Like I said earlier, imagine if they turn Midgar into the size of GTAV. Nobody will care about it "being in the same city for the whole game" then. I'm fairly confident that even if it's not that grand of a scale, it won't get "old" at all.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
2 discs of Midgar? TWO???
Come...on.

What is this?
Is this going to cross gens by the time we get the full FFVII remake?

How many years ago was this announced? I mean, the original FFVII didn't take this long to make did it?
Watching that boss battle, with all the bespoke animations and thinking "Wow, if they go this all in on all the bosses we aren't getting the full FFVII experience next year at all", and sure enough...

Why couldn't we have what we asked for all those years ago at the PS3 unveiling?
FFVII with upgraded graphics and the same basic gameplay and story.
You know: turn based. Like it should be.

Surely that would have fit onto one bluray and have been available before I'm able to collect social security...(I was a teenager when FFVII came out, do the math)

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Man, as much as I'd LOVE to own that $330 1st class edition, I just can't see spending that much for a statue. Gonna go with the deluxe edition instead.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I mean, yeah. I see people are very surprised in this thread but anyone who's played the original game knew that extrapolating FFVII to modern development standards was insane, MAYBE not as insane as the first part just being Midgar but insane nonetheless. Open world games like TW3 are very expansive but they reuse a lot of assets and locations like Novigrad, while big, are still at a manageable scale. Remaking FFVII this way makes me think Square Enix is either very crazy or very brave, but as frustrating as it might be I still think is commendable.

This could be the first step in creating games on a new scale we've never been before.
SE isn't the group to pioneer this and frankly, shouldn't even attempt it. They'll do it, but it'll take far too long to actually get there to really matter.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This could be the first step in creating games on a new scale we've never been before.

While this is true and it's the reason I'm reluctantly okay with something like FF7-1 and FF7-2, no one asked Square to spend 5 years working on Midgar.

If the original project was tough enough to scale up to modern standards, how does it help you spending all this time and money on Midgar alone?

Project management at Square is fucking terrible at the best of times.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
is one whole game in Midgar really that bad? I always felt they could have done much more with the townspeople and the other Plates that we never got to explore. Midgar always felt like that hybrid cyber/steampunk I've always wanted.

Yes. Midgar was such a small part of the original story. Since Midgar is one game on its own, there is either going to be a lot of new filler material, a lot of rearranging of events, or the entire remake will take eight or ten parts. They''ll still be working on the Remake when the PS6 launches.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
The idea that all of Midgar could be an open world Los Santos and you get to ride around on a motorcycle with a giant number of different visitable locations is so damn exciting. It's possible that could be why it's on two discs.
That would defeat the purpose of Avalanche. They aren't joyriding round Midgar, they are a terrorist group. They are constantly HITTING reactors and running, blending into the slums. It is a frantic existence. The pace was dictated by the missions at hand. Living underneath the rotting pizza, scurrying around in the secret passages between sectors, running from Shinra and hiding until the coast was clear.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Just watched the boss battle demo again and you can tell it cuts between several play-throughs during the battle (you can see some camera fades between angles and also the HP for each character vary widely between cuts).

Wonder why they cut several together for the demo? This isn't common right?

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I never asked for this remake. The last thing I wanted was Square Enix wasting a huge chunk of their creative talent on it, which was why the outsourcing was fine for me.

Now, that huge chunk of talent will be locked away for another decade, if not more than that. Meaning less actually new games from them.
You can choose to hate this from the get-go, or you can choose to at least give it a chance. The only one who stands to gain or lose anything is you.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017

Don't forget to pre-order the Digital Deluxe edition so you can all the summon DLCs.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
How many years ago was this announced? I mean, the original FFVII didn't take this long to make did it?

this a joke? between 1997 and 2001 they released VII-X

they really pumped them out back then,

FF7 took about 3 years i think, which was really long for them cuz this was a massive jump in tech over 6

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So you were disappointed by a game you didnt want and werent looking forward to? Must have been tremendously disappointing to you to find out you didnt want a game you..already didnt want?

I was willing to give it a chance earlier even though I didn't ask for it. That all went out the window when it became clear how much the cost for the full experience is going to be.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
2 discs of Midgar? TWO???
Come...on.

What is this?
Is this going to cross gens by the time we get the full FFVII remake?

Watching that boss battle, with all the bespoke animations and thinking "Wow, if they go this all in on all the bosses we aren't getting the full FFVII experience next year at all", and sure enough...

Why couldn't we have what we asked for all those years ago at the PS3 unveiling?
FFVII with upgraded graphics and the same basic gameplay and story.
You know: turn based. Like it should be.

Surely that would have fit onto one bluray and have been available before I'm able to collect social security...(I was a teenager when FFVII came out, do the math)

If the first release is Midgar only, there's no way it's released in its entirety before a new console launch.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
This HAS to be 3 parts if the first game is Midgar only. I'm curious how they are gonna release the game. Are all parts gonna be on PS4? I'm worried about parts 2-3 looking way better because they are on next gen.

Lastdancer

Nov 1, 2017
There are definitely better ways around it, but due to the way SE operates, the only way to do FF is to blow things out as much as possible and then take years or decades to actually complete a game. It started with XIII and that continues to be the trend. It took them close to 5 years to make XIII, 10 to make VersusXIII, and we are closing in on 4 years with FF7R. SE needs to desperately look at restructuring and rethinking how they handle the FF franchise because it looks it takes them years to just figure out how to put together the basics of a game. Literal years.

It takes time to develop games, but this is ridiculous on a completely different scale.

Interesting you mentioned FFXIII. Tell me, how many years did it take for FFXIII-2 and Lightning Returns after that?

Once this first game is out, I would imagine most of the gameplay systems and framework would be finished. I don't expect as long a time for the additional follow-ups.

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so fucking excited for this. Everything looks amazing so far. I'm still bitter and disappointed it's being split into three parts, cause I'd rather it just be a full complete game. It's not going to fully finish until like the end of the PS5... ugh. But regardless, I'm there day one.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
So why are they calling the first game just Final Fantasy VII Remake? With it being the first part of multiple, you would think it'd be Final Fantasy VII Remake Part I, or have some other subtitle or something. Makes me wonder what the rest of the releases will be titled. I dunno, the title of the first game is just weirdly definitive for just one part of a greater whole.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not even mad that the whole game is in midgar. If they're true to their word and they really beefed it up I honestly couldn't be happier. I love midgar as a setting and any chance to explore and get a whole lot more of it is something I wanted since I was a wee barn. The rest can wait imo.

DHR54

Oh well.
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
2 discs basically says they are cheating the graphics with prerendered cut scenes like KH3 had. I bet it's likely because of 4K needs that it goes on 2 discs.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

Yeah, this is another thing. This affects FF16 and any other larger games many of the staff would like to work on. I'm part of the problem because I was ecstatic about getting a remake, but the amount of time and effort this will end up taking, it might not be worth it.

Ricelord

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So how are they really going to do the rest of the game, If Midgar is the first half of the two parts (one part of three if they do three parts) and midgar itself is two disc.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Midgar being two discs and the entirety of this game, because SE as a studio is taking this long just to make assets for one locale, is pretty emblematic of the problems the studio has had getting ANYTHING completed under a timely schedule ever since the PS3/360 generation.

Seems they just finally decided to cut their losses and turn their inability to properly plan and scope a project into a way to sell multiple $300 deluxe editions.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Interesting you mentioned FFXIII. Tell me, how many years did it take for FFXIII-2 and Lightning Returns after that?

Once this first game is out, I would imagine most of the gameplay systems and framework would be finished. I don't expect as long a time for the additional follow-ups.
FF7 has more more content to follow up on, Midgar is like 5% of the game.

CassioAug

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
I think that people are reading in "just Midgar" too literally. Probably, with the extended content, we will see more than the same city over and over again... the story is being adjusted and it will be explored more. I'm sure they wouldn't do an entire RPG in a repetitive portion of the same city.

My biggest fear is not the content of the 1st part. But how they're gonna charge it... is it gonna be 60 dollars for the entire 1st part? (the base game)
Or they're gonna charge more since it's 2 discs?

And is only 2 parts confirmed, or they're planning on extending it to 3 or maybe even more parts?

May 26, 2018
So why are they calling the first game just Final Fantasy VII Remake? With it being the first part of multiple, you would think it'd be Final Fantasy VII Remake Part I, or have some other subtitle or something. Makes me wonder what the rest of the releases will be titled. I dunno, the title of the first game is just weirdly definitive for just one part of a greater whole.

DLC

Final Fantasy 7 Remake: Junon
Final Fantasy 7 Remake: Kalm