Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
47692408_783139532059916_1775529098032754834_n.jpg

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Okay. I have a serious problem. This is the fourth time I've bought FF7. Originally on psx. Then PC. Then for ps3/psp/vita. Now switch. And after an hour I can say that this is the first time not on percoset I'm enjoying the fuck out of this game? Is it that its finally on nintendo hardware or because I'm taking a shit and playing the game? I don't know but I will now fully acknowledge my nintendo fanboysim and say I really think its the "irony" that FF7 is finally on a Nintendo console and it feels good. Feels so good.
Dude, I think i said the same thing on this same page lol

Edit: well on the last page lol

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Might get this. Enjoyed me some FF7 for a long time but only played through it maybe twice? With like 10 years between each lol. Was really hoping they would address the bugs and don't want to support them not addressing easy fixes but... my vacation is starting and I want something jolly atm haha

ugh decisions

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Might get this. Enjoyed me some FF7 for a long time but only played through it maybe twice? With like 10 years between each lol. Was really hoping they would address the bugs and don't want to support them not addressing easy fixes but... my vacation is starting and I want something jolly atm haha

ugh decisions
Encouragement

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Question: I have the option to play this on switch or on my vita (as an ps1 classic) I know that the "cheats" are only in the new versions but am I correct with assuming that the ps1 classic Version has no sound bug, open mouthed sephirot and so on?

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
How does this game hold up for people who haven't played it before? (Well, I played about 30 minutes of it on Vita)

I want something to play on Switch. I'm trying to decide if I should give it a go, but I'm having trouble finding impressions that aren't overly skewed by their nostalgia goggles. Am I going to ruin it by using the cheats? I'm not looking to spend 60 hours grinding in a JRPG.

$16 is pretty steep for a PS1 game that is frequently under $5 on other platforms. I'm also considering Wargroove, Hollow Knight, or Dead Cells, so it's up against some strong competition.

To give you some perspective - I played through FF VII for the first time in 2012, when I was 22 years old on my PS3, so I can convincingly say that I was free from any nostalgia and still I enjoyed the heck out of this game. It's a classic JRPG with some celver twists to the formula especially in the first act of the game and sure it might be dated graphically (yep, you have to admit that those chubby characters and fight sequences are just not pretty), but the atmosphere and the backgrounds still have a great sense of melancholy and what might feel outdated in terms of graphics will feel even more current and up-to-date thematically and story-wise. I really loved it when I first played it.

Fendajaz

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can someone please explain the music glitch? Just bought this. Hope it doesn't ruin my experience. Never finished FF7 back in the day.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Can someone please explain the music glitch? Just bought this. Hope it doesn't ruin my experience. Never finished FF7 back in the day.

Music track resets after fights. Track will start from beginning. And something about a wrong track playing later in the game at an important scenen

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
My 3 biggest issues with this port, which are all carryovers from other ports, are

- Resetting music bug
- 30fps battle menus (60fps on PS1)
- Sephiroth's mouth hanging open in an O shape for the entire game looking dumb as hell

V2ukIYE.jpg

6O5JoEx.png

Is that screen actually from the switch version? You say the sephiroth mouth bug is a carry over but that definitely does not happen on the PS4 version of the game from my experience. Nor do I see it in any let's plays of the PS4 version based on my quick YouTube search.

That mouth bug I do remember being a thing for the PC version.

Now in proper looping form

This bug seems to only happen if you get into a random battle when Jesse has been climbing the ladder already. No clue if it happens in the original but it's definitely a more edge case scenario than her always just sliding up.

Last edited:

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Is that screen actually from the switch version? You say the sephiroth mouth bug is a carry over but that definitely does not happen on the PS4 version of the game from my experience. Nor do I see it in any let's plays of the PS4 version based on my quick YouTube search.

That mouth bug I do remember being a thing for the PC version.
It was a screenshot of the PC version and I remember the PS4 version wrong. I'm looking on YouTube and his face definitely looks normal.

I'm glad they fixed that.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Currently (and slowly) playing through FF9 which I actually never got to play personally so this one will have to wait to be played, but I'll be buying it ASAP out of sheer respect.

This was the one that got away for Nintendo.

Time to pay my respect and buy Final Fantasy VII on a Nintendo system. I haven't played it since it came out on PS1. Been a long time.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right back at ya. I enjoy IX, parts of X, and XII after the update a lot. I've played every mainline game and I spent a lot of time with XI, which was OK. Still haven't touched XIV. If you think three games since VII being good to very good is the definition of a consistent series, fine. But don't go pretending it's an isolated opinion that the series has been headed generally downhill for a good decade now. XV is quite possibly the worst Final Fantasy game ever made.
Final Fantasy XV has made it into several user voted best game ever lists (gameinformer springs to mind), as well as Era's own '100 definitive RPGs' list. I'm sure there's recency bias and I don't think XV belongs there, but you're kidding yourself if you think that people in general think XV is bad. It's just a few loud and salty fans.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
To give you some perspective - I played through FF VII for the first time in 2012, when I was 22 years old on my PS3, so I can convincingly say that I was free from any nostalgia and still I enjoyed the heck out of this game. It's a classic JRPG with some celver twists to the formula especially in the first act of the game and sure it might be dated graphically (yep, you have to admit that those chubby characters and fight sequences are just not pretty), but the atmosphere and the backgrounds still have a great sense of melancholy and what might feel outdated in terms of graphics will feel even more current and up-to-date thematically and story-wise. I really loved it when I first played it.

Thanks for your input. Bought it. I've never been really into JRPGs, so hopefully this gets me more interested in the genre.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Question: I have the option to play this on switch or on my vita (as an ps1 classic) I know that the "cheats" are only in the new versions but am I correct with assuming that the ps1 classic Version has no sound bug, open mouthed sephirot and so on?

The PS1 classic version should be the same as the physical version of the original PS1 release in every regard.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Currently (and slowly) playing through FF9 which I actually never got to play personally so this one will have to wait to be played, but I'll be buying it ASAP out of sheer respect.

This was the one that got away for Nintendo.

Time to pay my respect and buy Final Fantasy VII on a Nintendo system. I haven't played it since it came out on PS1. Been a long time.
I'd be interested to hear your feel on 9.

It won't. You shouldn't notice it really especially if you're using the "no encounters" cheat once in a while.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Same here, wouldn't have noticed the bug if I didn't read about it here.

Don't get me wrong, it's unacceptable that SE released the game(and FF9) in this condition, but I played through FF9 on the Switch a few weeks back and the bug didn't bother me.

There's definitely people who are more sensitive to these things than others, so YMMV.

The problem with 7 is that it even plays the wrong music in crucial scenes it seems. Does 9 have the problem of playing the wrong BGM?

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
Does this version have any of the issues that the PS4 version had like the music glitch?

Well good to see this crap here too. I guess I'll just avoid this OT and go ask other sites for answers instead.

Do I really need to defend the view that XV is a gigantic mess with poor mechanics, a story full of holes, and an endgame that was only saved by DLC that was actually better than the main game? I don't think I do. If you think that kind of stuff is crap, maybe stay away from debates about games in general?

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
Final Fantasy XV has made it into several user voted best game ever lists (gameinformer springs to mind), as well as Era's own '100 definitive RPGs' list. I'm sure there's recency bias and I don't think XV belongs there, but you're kidding yourself if you think that people in general think XV is bad. It's just a few loud and salty fans.

There are great analyses out there of all the reasons XV is a gigantic bomb and every time fans get angry that there are detractors, we get this same "oh, it's just a few people who hate it" retort. We've had this conversation man. It's not just a few salty fans. And definitive RPG lists or definitive lists of any kind (movies, music, etc.) can generally go the way of the dodo as far as I'm concerned. All they do is confirm 1) local bias 2) surface-level opinion and 3) the strength of a studio/creator to advertise itself.

If "people in general" don't think it's bad, there are certainly enough of them out there to piss off fans who give XV a pass because it... has flashy graphics and turned the game into a mindless one-button "open world" filled with nothing? These reactions aren't limited and they're definitely not just the product of salty fans who are, for some reason, hating on just one game in particular. Personally, XV being terrible freed up all kinds of time for me. In a way, it being a bad game was a favor, and it's not quite like I was expecting a masterpiece after the XIII debacle. I doubt other fans rip it just because they were disappointed yet another FF game tried and failed to be a middling anime with a "deep" narrative.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with 7 is that it even plays the wrong music in crucial scenes it seems. Does 9 have the problem of playing the wrong BGM?

To be honest, even if there was, I wouldn't have noticed outside of maybe a couple of scenes.

Again, this does not mean that how SE released the game is acceptable, it's completely unacceptable and SE owes it to everyone who bought the game to fix the bugs.

Ruffstuff

Oct 27, 2017
Basingstoke
OK so I first played this game when It came out... I was 6 I got to disk 2 and gave up, but always rated it as one of my favourite games. Now i'm a "grown-up" I've decided I shall complete this gem of a game. So after my "first" 8 hours i'm now wondering how naive I was back then... Cross-dressing, Brothels, implied male orgy that stuff went straight over my little head. but so far iv'e fallen back in love with Final Fantasy.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are great analyses out there of all the reasons XV is a gigantic bomb and every time fans get angry that there are detractors, we get this same "oh, it's just a few people who hate it" retort. We've had this conversation man. It's not just a few salty fans. And definitive RPG lists or definitive lists of any kind (movies, music, etc.) can generally go the way of the dodo as far as I'm concerned. All they do is confirm 1) local bias 2) surface-level opinion and 3) the strength of a studio/creator to advertise itself.

If "people in general" don't think it's bad, there are certainly enough of them out there to piss off fans who give XV a pass because it... has flashy graphics and turned the game into a mindless one-button "open world" filled with nothing? These reactions aren't limited and they're definitely not just the product of salty fans who are, for some reason, hating on just one game in particular. Personally, XV being terrible freed up all kinds of time for me. In a way, it being a bad game was a favor, and it's not quite like I was expecting a masterpiece after the XIII debacle. I doubt other fans rip it just because they were disappointed yet another FF game tried and failed to be a middling anime with a "deep" narrative.
I would love to see these analysis of why FFXV is a bomb. All the actual quantifiable evidence shows it's a success. Usually when people are asked to give evidence of it not being a success they just say 'b..b..but look at the fan reception'.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
I would love to see these analysis of why FFXV is a bomb. All the actual quantifiable evidence shows it's a success. Usually when people are asked to give evidence of it not being a success they just say 'b..b..but look at the fan reception'.

I am not measuring it's failure in terms of sales. Do you know how many terrible games, movies, and albums sell gangbusters? I mean, by that measure the Eagles' greatest hits comp is the best album of all time and cinematic art stopped with Gone with the Wind. Give me a break. Usually when people talk about how good a thing is, they have more to say than "IT SOLD WELL! LOOK! NUMBERS!"

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am not measuring it's failure in terms of sales. Do you know how many terrible games, movies, and albums sell gangbusters? I mean, by that measure the Eagles' greatest hits comp is the best album of all time. Give me a break.
Okay but even in terms of how people rate the game, I'm just not seeing the evidence of it being hated and the worst FF ever made. You were the one who said there was a wealth of evidence, and id like to see it. Because user ratings are positive, it ranks on greatest games lists and won many GOTY awards, and has a great MC score. I don't understand what this evidence is that it's a critical failure and a bad game. Just because it's not as good as most other FFs?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I bought this yesterday for some reason. I had already bought it on PS4. What's wrong with me.

Does the 3X speed disable achievements?

Last edited:

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
Okay but even in terms of how people rate the game, I'm just not seeing the evidence of it being hated and the worst FF ever made. You were the one who said there was a wealth of evidence, and id like to see it. Because user ratings are positive, it ranks on greatest games lists and won many GOTY awards. I don't understand what this evidence is that it's a critical failure. Just because it's not as good as most other FFs?

I think you've participated in a bunch of the conversations on Era about why this game is massively flawed and disappointing (one example, though I don't know if you're in this one: https://www.resetera.com/threads/why-all-of-the-final-fantasy-xv-hate.6669/ ). If you don't think there's ample evidence for disappointment, just do an Era search. You'll find lots of it. Here's another one: https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...ntasy-xv-was-a-mediocre-disappointment.71886/

Beyond what Era thinks, I'm sure you've read the reviews that have come back to the game after all of the DLC and fixes were implemented, and I'm sure you've noticed that there are nearly as many mixed and negative fan reviews of the game at Metacritic as there are positive reviews (I actually trust fan reviews over reviews from "professionals" who have to write their impressions on a deadline, often before finishing the game). I'm sure you're aware of the combat and interface issues lots of people had with it, including players who otherwise seemed to enjoy the game (see Kirk Hamilton and Jason Schreier's uh... oddly indecisive take on the game - you can start here https://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-xv-s-user-interface-is-so-bad-1792396935 ). And then there's the issue players and critics have had with the "pay to see the true ending" model the game employed (check out https://www.pastemagazine.com/artic...asy-xv-is-a-fragmented-experience-and-th.html), along with the bizarre decision to leave many of the game's most important events... wait for it... out of the game.

Then you have this US Gamer article, which I think is maybe the most interesting of them all: https://www.usgamer.net/articles/what-we-think-of-final-fantasy-xv-over-one-year-later

Yes, there are people that enjoyed it, but even then their enjoyment is qualified all over the place. It amounts to, "Yes, I know these problems exist, but I've found a way to look past them." Which is fine, but it's also an admission that the game has a ton of problems.

But this is all just circumstantial evidence in a way. I could spend a long time cataloging all the debates over this and all the people that find clear, obvious flaws with the game, not to mention with the way that Square managed the experience from a business perspective. I imagine it would take much longer to amass the kind of evidence I need to change anyone's mind, so I'll stop there. If you like the game, great, but I have no idea why trashing it causes so many knee-jerk reactions from fans. I love a lot of terrible games too! It's OK!

As for "critical failure," I didn't use that term. I said it was a bomb, as in I think it's terrible. I think I also called it a mess with bad mechanics. You're right in that it managed to survive critical reaction despite all its flaws, but I think that's more the result of glowing, infinitely forgiving fans than anything else.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think you've participated in a bunch of the conversations on Era about why this game is massively flawed and disappointing (one example, though I don't know if you're in this one: https://www.resetera.com/threads/why-all-of-the-final-fantasy-xv-hate.6669/ ). If you don't think there's ample evidence for disappointment, just do an Era search. You'll find lots of it. Here's another one: https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...ntasy-xv-was-a-mediocre-disappointment.71886/

Beyond what Era thinks, I'm sure you've read the reviews that have come back to the game after all of the DLC and fixes were implemented, and I'm sure you've noticed that there are nearly as many mixed and negative fan reviews of the game at Metacritic as there are positive reviews (I actually trust fan reviews over reviews from "professionals" who have to write their impressions on a deadline, often before finishing the game). I'm sure you're aware of the combat and interface issues lots of people had with it, including players who otherwise seemed to enjoy the game (see Kirk Hamilton and Jason Schreier's uh... oddly indecisive take on the game - you can start here https://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-xv-s-user-interface-is-so-bad-1792396935 ). And then there's the issue players and critics have had with the "pay to see the true ending" model the game employed (check out https://www.pastemagazine.com/artic...asy-xv-is-a-fragmented-experience-and-th.html), along with the bizarre decision to leave many of the game's most important events... wait for it... out of the game.

Then you have this US Gamer article, which I think is maybe the most interesting of them all: https://www.usgamer.net/articles/what-we-think-of-final-fantasy-xv-over-one-year-later

Yes, there are people that enjoyed it, but even then their enjoyment is qualified all over the place. It amounts to, "Yes, I know these problems exist, but I've found a way to look past them." Which is fine, but it's also an admission that the game has a ton of problems.

But this is all just circumstantial evidence in a way. I could spend a long time cataloging all the debates over this and all the people that find clear, obvious flaws with the game, not to mention with the way that Square managed the experience from a business perspective. I imagine it would take much longer to amass the kind of evidence I need to change anyone's mind, so I'll stop there. If you like the game, great, but I have no idea why trashing it causes so many knee-jerk reactions from fans. I love a lot of terrible games too! It's OK!

As for "critical failure," I didn't use that term. I said it was a bomb, as in I think it's terrible. I think I also called it a mess with bad mechanics. You're right in that it managed to survive critical reaction despite all its flaws, but I think that's more the result of glowing, infinitely forgiving fans than anything else.
I said from the start that any negativity was a small selection of loud users and that the quantifiable evidence says the game is well liked. And your response is...to recycle the small selection of loud users on era? Hell even the UX article you posted is from someone who actually likes the game.

Is the reception to the game unanimously positive? No. Is it mostly positive with some detractors, absolutely. Is the game flawed. Yes. Is the game bad. No. It's as simple as that.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
I said from the start that any negativity was a small selection of loud users and that the quantifiable evidence says the game is well liked. And your response is...to recycle the small selection of loud users on era? Hell even the UX article you posted is from someone who actually likes the game.

Is the reception to the game unanimously positive? No. Is it mostly positive with some detractors, absolutely. Is the game flawed. Yes. Is the game bad. No. It's as simple as that.

I'm beginning to think you aren't reading what I'm writing. The idea that this is a "small" or otherwise isolated opinion is pretty much refuted by a Google search and by the sample available at Metacritic. When roughly half your sampled fans have mixed or negative reactions to a game, it's pretty hard to make the argument that critical reactions are small and limited.

Also, the UX article I posted had a mix and I acknowledged that. I don't think we're going to getting anywhere with this conversation, do you?

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm beginning to think you aren't reading what I'm writing. The idea that this is a "small" or otherwise isolated opinion is pretty much refuted by a Google search and by the sample available at Metacritic. When roughly half your sampled fans have mixed or negative reactions to a game, it's pretty hard to make the argument that critical reactions are small and limited.

Also, the UX article I posted had a mix and I acknowledged that. I don't think we're going to getting anywhere with this conversation, do you?
I think we're making ground actually. Where are you getting that half the user reviews are mixed or negative on MC?

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
It's not even a question. Play it on your Vita.

The Switch version is an absolute train-wreck that should be avoided at all costs. Makes me fucking sick.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NVM

Edit: You know what? You're right. Fixed.
Okiedoke, well at least you should know any complaints you have with the game I probably agree with. It's only my 11th favourite main line FF. The issues just don't stop me liking the game.

On subject, I bought this. I'm really excited to get back into the game. It's been a few years!

Last edited:

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
Makes you wish the kind of budget and time put into the Switch port of Dragon Quest XI could be put into these FF ports.

xHGB8FUh.jpg

It's a bummer the reaction to all the FF ports didn't have a similar fan outpouring to the Chrono Trigger PC port.

At least it seems like the Sephiroth mouth thing doesn't apply here? Still going to refrain from getting this unless there's an update down the road.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
I just realized how much greater this game is for the Switch with just being able to put it in sleep mode. Back in the day I would wonder how much longer for a save point. Even last night I forgot and was falling asleep while playing trying to get to the next save point before I realized I was ok the switch.
Still save at every save point though.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017

My impression was it was meant to somehow evoke a firing squad maybe? I know that in the past whenever a person was to be executed by firing squad they might give them a cigarette and a blindfold. At least that's how I've always interpreted it.

Word. But I still don't quite get. Is it the ad saying that they're basically executing the competition? I feel like it's a really obscure reference...?

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Is it the ad saying that they're basically executing the competition?
Yes. Pretty much "You can only get this kind of experience on a CD, so cartridge games are only fit for a firing squad now" or even "people that make cartridge games are so out of date, they don't even deserve to live anymore".

It's hilariously extreme, but that's why people still remember it.

Last edited:

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Oh man, I got this on a whim yesterday after watching the trailer and realizing I was smiling the whole way thought. I haven't done much since then except play the game, keep saying i'll go till the next save pt and next thing I know its 3 hours later haha.

The 3x speed is a godsend, there's so many slow parts of this game.

The music loop bug I didn't realize was a bug at first, I just thought the music was a lot mroe repetitive than I remembered. (I think it still is, but the bug certainly doesnt help).

If any game needs a crt filter its this, the sharp models on the blurry background is pretty annoying. I feel like trying to sharpen the blurry background also makes certain parts of the background harder to make out.

Being as I only ever played this as a kid, I think this is the first time I'm truly appreciating the story (flaws and all).

I'm surprised they haven't just done some quick hd remaster yet. I know they're doing the remake, but feels like they coulda got away with something a bit easier by just remaking the backgrounds, updating models slightly and making controls for anything on the overworld not ass.