• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Great OT, esp the sub-title, lol.

I have bought the game and will start it as soon as I finish my current game.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
The zones that can be explored at the start of the game are very big but I wanted to know how far you could go...but you're pretty much confined to the desert.

The path to Ozmone Plains are blocked by trees (and werewolves)

20180202233010_1zaskk.jpg

Barheim passage is blocked by 2 Seeqs...for no reason lol

No ferry available to the north bank of the Estersand.

Mosphoran Highwaste is blocked by imperial soldiers :(

Even the path to the Sandsea is blocked !! What could they possibly survey ?

My only recourse left was to go through the Zertinan Caverns ! So I fled every encounter to find....sand blocking my way :(

Now I know for sure that the desert is the only area that you can explore at the beginning. Didn't think they'd go through the effort of blocking the way everywhere ! Still, what is already available is gigantic to begin with. Even snagged myself a Diamond Armlet !

After 6 hours of playtime I should maybe get that sunstone back to Old Dalan...

coolasj19

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, Texas
I restarted the game in NG+ mode because I actually want to the play through the game one day. Putting it on essentially easy mode is my best recource in this instance.

So how much challenge is even left for me? I'd like it to challenge me at least a tiny bit. Maybe with weapon stats and the license board and gambits? Getting to overcome a few roadblocks would be nice.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Eh, I'm not going to stress about the jobs too much.
I was going to stress about completion, but coincidentally looking up that trophy guide earlier made me not stress about that either.

I'm stress free.

Well, that's a lie. I'm stressing about time that I don't have to play the game. :(

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I restarted the game in NG+ mode because I actually want to the play through the game one day. Putting it on essentially easy mode is my best recource in this instance.

So how much challenge is even left for me? I'd like it to challenge me at least a tiny bit. Maybe with weapon stats and the license board and gambits? Getting to overcome a few roadblocks would be nice.

Not much, to be honest. You are level 90, that saves you 20-40 hours of grinding at least.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Man this game is harder than I remember. I've died a few times. I think my equipment is probably bad but how do you know what's worth buying?

Also remembering that the story didn't grip me the first time round and isn't gripping me now.
All the characters look the same to me, they don't have enough individual personality to make me really care about any of them, except maybe Balthier.

Namyu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are some good early unlocks on the license board? I'm guessing getting Libra on people and also stuff like +HP is a good idea

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Somebody please tell me there's a smoking deal on this game on some site somewhere. Really wanna grab it

pandemonium

Oct 25, 2017
Found the Seitengrat on last playthrough and it was a wrap. I need to play through again with different jobs. I really messed it up the first go round.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing this for a second time (first was the vanilla PS2 edition), and I think I must be the only person who hates the Zodiac job system. It severely restricts player choice and I don't get how this is seen as a positive.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
The is one of my favorite games ever so I'm definitely going to triple dip and get the PC version here soon. I'm at the end of the game on PS4 working towards the end game hunts, I'm about level 70 and it's about time to go put the wood to
Gilgamesh's second fight

Great work on the OT, OP!

I've been playing this for a second time (first was the vanilla PS2 edition), and I think I must be the only person who hates the Zodiac job system. It severely restricts player choice and I don't get how this is seen as a positive.

What's restrictive about it other than locking your characters into specific roles? In the vanilla version everyone started to be the exact same character about halfway through the game. Now you have set roles that add more structure, strategy, and nuance to the combat. But you're fully in control of how to develop your characters.

M.J.

Oct 25, 2017
When I played vanilla FFXII on release, I used a guide to get the Zodiac spear, as well as a guide for grinding spots. Had so much fun grinding and doing hunts that I'm almost afraid to buy this now that it's out on PC, for fear of getting sucked in. :D

Plus I'm feeling cheap and I have a backlog... We'll see if that changes though.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Someone remind me, is there any loot that I shouldn't sell other than teleport stones and gysahl greens?
The only things you absolutely should not sell are teleport stones and great serpentskin. Otherwise, it's only a matter of strategic selling if you care about it. For instance, for some of the most powerful equipment in the game, they share bazaar ingredients and you can cheat the system by selling the ingredients together and abuse the overlap. i.e. if one thing requires item A and item B, and another thing requires item B and item C, if you sold them all separately, you'd need two item Bs, but if you sold them together you'd only need one. But this isn't something you'd worry about until later in the game. I can't remember all of the ingredients this applies to, but gemsteel is one of them.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Picked this up this past holiday. It'll be my first time playing XII. For some reason I never actually got around to it back in the day. I think I was just obsessed with WoW or something. Looking forward to checking it out.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely love FF12, it's easily my favorite FF. It's just such a happy game that's a joy to play. I'm going to buy this later on in the year when I get some time to play it.

I've never played the international version. I know they reworked summons but is magic still pointless after darkra or can it be a viable choice? Is 'range' still a pointless distinction due to how targeting and AOE works and bows are basically swords with a different animation?

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Feels good picking this up day one for $30. Humble monthly discount plus rewards for past purchases feels good. I don't understand how they make money over there.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I forgot that when you get the gambits from Penelo, you don't actually get to configure them until later. Was confused for a bit there, wondering if the game was bugged or something when the menu item didn't show.

I don't remember specifics off the top of my head but there are quest turn in items
Edit:

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/191202-final-fantasy-xii-the-zodiac-age/75598817

The only things you absolutely should not sell are teleport stones and great serpentskin. Otherwise, it's only a matter of strategic selling if you care about it. For instance, for some of the most powerful equipment in the game, they share bazaar ingredients and you can cheat the system by selling the ingredients together and abuse the overlap. i.e. if one thing requires item A and item B, and another thing requires item B and item C, if you sold them all separately, you'd need two item Bs, but if you sold them together you'd only need one. But this isn't something you'd worry about until later in the game. I can't remember all of the ingredients this applies to, but gemsteel is one of them.
Thanks! I had no idea about that bazaar trick, but yeah, that stuff is ways off.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Also the difference between 20% and 25% off on that price is $2
Sure. Just trying to help people out by providing the (to my knowledge) current lowest price, which is $30.79 at GMG with code JUSTFORYOU.

On topic: I've currently on the fence, never played FFXII before. Is it worth the current going price of ~$30? Are its systems too complex for someone to just jump into and not follow a guide?

Namyu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure. Just trying to help people out by providing the (to my knowledge) current lowest price, which is $30.79 at GMG with code JUSTFORYOU.

Yeah I meant to that guy not you, he seemed upset that he couldn't get a 25% compared to a 20 and I'm all about saving money but it's barely a difference at all in this case.

Shades of Black on a character with high magic is extremely good.

Haven't heard of that one. So far I've got Steal, Libra and First Aid and the latter two seem pretty useless.

I forgot that when you get the gambits from Penelo, you don't actually get to configure them until later. Was confused for a bit there, wondering if the game was bugged or something when the menu item didn't show.

Same. Spent a good 2 minutes in the menu wondering where the hell it was lmao

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't heard of that one. So far I've got Steal, Libra and First Aid and the latter two seem pretty useless.
It's free and casts a random black magic spell. Random from the entire list of black magic spells, which means you can even cast the really powerful stuff early on, for free.

The other technicks that are extremely good are the break ones. Shear, addle, expose, wither, etc. They lower enemy stats and they stack. Absurdly good.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Still can't believe I'm finally playing a properly updated version of FFXII. Just picked it up on Steam and man the 60fps is just so good. That and being able to properly set my controls to inverted or non are amazing. Have it set to High at 60fps and not a single hiccup yet. I'm very impressed with this version so far. Spent so many hours on this game back when it came out but I couldn't go back to it recently due to the x-axis not being adjustable. Tried on the PS emulator and I couldn't get the performance how I wanted. This is a dream come true!

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
Once a job is selected, is that it? No respeccing/resetting correct?
Yep, that's right. What some players did on the console version was to avoid assigning the party any jobs at all, wait until the point when the second jobs unlock, save the game and make a copy of the save file. Then you can dish out the primary and secondary jobs, and that way you've got a save file on hand to start from a blank slate in case you screw up. It didn't sound very fun to me, but some people opted for it.

Last edited:

xania

Oct 27, 2017

I'm not a fan either. I was very disappointed with the International version for the restrictions, especially since I don't feel like there's a wide enough variety of jobs to make up for the whiplash of going from the vanilla licence board to the job system. This version is a tad better because 2 jobs lets you get more diversity, but I really wish this had 2 licence boards to choose from, FFX-style (as a side note, no one ever complains FFX's Sphere Grid doesn't have enough strategy despite everyone being able to learn everything eventually in a similar fashion.)

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
(as a side note, no one ever complains FFX's Sphere Grid doesn't have enough strategy despite everyone being able to learn everything eventually in a similar fashion.)

FF7 characters also ends up being the same with very few distinctions. Always felt to me like a shallow argument that somehow only managed to hit FF12.

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017
Technicks don't seem great so far besides Steal

They are largely situational (e.g. Bushi with mage armor can use Shades of Black effectively against groups/fliers).

Souleater is generally good if you want to have someone using axes/hammers since it will allow them to benefit from the weapons' high attack without the randomness, though it heals undead.

Wither/Addle/Expose/Shear are comically overpowered, but aren't available until very late.

Last edited:

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
(playing ps4 version but feel it's appropriate here)

been awhile since i played this... is it possible to get by on only 3 characters properly leveled? about a quarter to halfway through the game and never got around to using anybody other than blathier, fran and vaan. i don't really feel like grinding the rest out

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
(playing ps4 version but feel it's appropriate here)

been awhile since i played this... is it possible to get by on only 3 characters properly leveled? about a quarter to halfway through the game and never got around to using anybody other than blathier, fran and vaan. i don't really feel like grinding the rest out

You can beat the game with only 3 people but in many situations having someone you can swap out makes a world of a difference.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a fan either. I was very disappointed with the International version for the restrictions, especially since I don't feel like there's a wide enough variety of jobs to make up for the whiplash of going from the vanilla licence board to the job system. This version is a tad better because 2 jobs lets you get more diversity, but I really wish this had 2 licence boards to choose from, FFX-style (as a side note, no one ever complains FFX's Sphere Grid doesn't have enough strategy despite everyone being able to learn everything eventually in a similar fashion.)
It's not like I'm opposed in any way to job systems either. In fact, I loved X-2's and even FFV's systems because they didn't arbitrarily lock characters into jobs for the entire game. XII's just feels like a backwards step in that regard.

Laguna

Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona
I have a question about the lore friendly combination, which one would be the best party? I would like to use Basch, Ashe and Balthier but Im not pretty sure if is a good one.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
the game def has the better intro out of all recent final fantasies, i was engaged. am not fully convinced yet, but it has me engaged at least. will have to play more than 7 hours. hopefully itll get better