• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.gamewatcher.com/previews/final-fantasy-xv-preview/12977

In general though, mouse and keyboard controls work extremely well. Left Mouse Button attacks, Right Mouse Button Blocks/Dodges, 'F' key Warps. When out of combat, LMB interacts and RMB both Sprints and contextually Crouches. Spacebar Jumps, which after playing Final Fantasy XII for so long felt weird to do. We'll require a bit more key customizing, and just generally getting used to Final Fantasy XV's combat system, but we could totally see us playing entirely with mouse and keyboard for the duration… especially in First-Person Mode.

First-Person Mode is arguably the biggest new addition to Final Fantasy XV: Windows Edition (and console Royal Edition), the first time a Final Fantasy game has allowed players to play entirely in first-person I believe. Cutscenes and certain contextual moments will be third-person still, similar to the recent Deus Ex games, but otherwise the entire game is playable in first-person – and we can say right now that it works astonishingly well.

First-Person is also something that, in our opinion, is more appropriate to mouse and keyboard. The most important part was, the mouse control of the camera felt like a mouse – not a control stick with acceleration, so clearly mouse and keyboard controls in First-Person haven't been rushed. Warp Attacks work particularly well, as you can manually aim at a tree and see a flashing target to jump too – then press the Warp key, jump to that tree, use the mouse to spin the camera back at your target and Warp/Attack them. We could probably do with a crosshair for ranged attacks like Magic, and some Interact prompts could be a bit fiddly if we got close, but overall it was just a matter of getting used to things.

large_vlcsnap-2018-02-20-15h01m50s891.png

[...]

Graphically, it looks utterly amazing. Just running through the fields, watching the grass sway, with the character physics in full motion and the draw distance to maximum is incredible, and we never saw the FPS drop below 60. The Square Enix rep, who's played a lot of the game on console, says he'd never noticed that Gladiolus had tattoos on his back – but now that his coat can flap about realistically you can see it. Hair looked great, which we normally wouldn't care about except it was particularly awesome on the furry Behemoth. The fog was thick and gorgeous, and the only thing you could see was the lights of the garage we started at several miles away. The draw distance is really quite good.

Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age was fantastic, but no matter what Square Enix did they'd never be able to hide that it's a PS2 game at heart. Final Fantasy XV is a modern game on modern hardware, with an engine that has been completely unlocked so it's one of the best looking games around. While First-Person Mode and Mouse and Keyboard controls might all seem like an odd fit for the game, it all works really well.

We're actually torn on how we're going to play Final Fantasy XV: Windows Edition when it comes next month on March 6. And we haven't even mentioned the Mods yet…

UPDATE: Video was taken down for some reason. New videos from another channel:

First-person mode:

GameWorks:

Combat (shows the new combat mechanic Armiger Unleashed included in the Royal/Windows Edition):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQkvo3FAUjo

Last edited:

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Considering buying this. Seems like a whilly different experience from its console version.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Hyping the first person mode huh. Didn't expect that. Wonder how well it plays during aerial combat.
Lol, right. Maybe it will change to third-person temporarily like with the blindside attacks shown here, otherwise I don't think it would even be playable without most people getting headaches and feeling like throwing up :D

Absolute0

Oct 27, 2017
I might play this on PC if the modding community gives cidney proper mechanic clothes not fan service garbage. Shit is so embarrassing. I liked some of what I played on PS4 pro but there was never a mode that felt good to play.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
First person mode just looks like a photomode hover cam. Wasn't expecting much but also not sure why anyone would want to play in first person where you can't appreciate Noctis' animations.

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
Lol, right. Maybe it will change to third-person temporarily like with the blindside attacks shown here, otherwise I don't think it would even be playable without most people getting headaches and feeling like throwing up :D
I'm willing to bet these guys are praising it without having even unlocked airdance yet.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
- the running, crouching is so uncanny valley.
- First person mode looks... weird, I dunno, it feels more like he is gliding
- the weapon effects should be invisible in fp mode

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
That draw distance but even more grass pops in when you walk closer, damn das a lot of grass my dudes.
Sounds like an awful way to experience the game, to be honest.

Should be useful to take screenshots of Gladio, though.
Yes, all the pics of Gladio.
Holy shit, all that grass makes the PS4 version look barren by comparison.
Every time someone mentions grass in games I remember grassgate back on gaf and then I remember when the PC version of GTAV came out the amazing grass it was "not a big deal".

lionpants

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Wow. Talk about a tacked on gimic to have something to hype. That first person mode looks like it had 0 effort put into it. No head bob, just gliding around, can't see your body, arms or weapons. The weapons just clip out in front of you. Why even bother? Who is even going to play like this?

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Wow. Talk about a tacked on gimic to have something to hype. That first person mode looks like it had 0 effort put into it. No head bob, just gliding around, can't see your body, arms or weapons. The weapons just clip out in front of you. Why even bother? Who is even going to play like this?
VR modders?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The combat looks SO bad in first person, christ. Like, almost Skyrim level bad, but at least the enemies still animate well.

PC version's visuals are impressive as hell though.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Durante thots on this when you have time? I assume they played at 1080p but still.

If you're interesting, here are the PC System Specs of the machine we played on:
  • CPU: Core i7-6700K Intel
  • RAM: 32GB DDR4-3000 Corsair
  • SSD: 500GB 850 EVO Samsung
  • MOBO: Z170 ASUS Maximus VIII Gene
  • GPU: GTX 1080 TI NVIDIA
Quite hefty certainly, but then the System Requirements aren't quite as mean. With this system we had literally everything running in Maximum Settings, and that includes all the new Nvidia enhancements such as Hairworks, Turf Effects, HFTS, VXAO, and even Ansel for mad screenshots which we had a go with (but sadly couldn't keep).

Graphically, it looks utterly amazing. Just running through the fields, watching the grass sway, with the character physics in full motion and the draw distance to maximum is incredible, and we never saw the FPS drop below 60. The Square Enix rep, who's played a lot of the game on console, says he'd never noticed that Gladiolus had tattoos on his back – but now that his coat can flap about realistically you can see it. Hair looked great, which we normally wouldn't care about except it was particularly awesome on the furry Behemoth. The fog was thick and gorgeous, and the only thing you could see was the lights of the garage we started at several miles away. The draw distance is really quite good.

Because that sounds pretty impressive.

SCENDO

Oct 27, 2017
Looks great. Reminds me of the footage from 2014 running on a dev pc:

We've come a long way.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I'm excited to finally play this game, but I have a question regarding the first person mode:
Forwhatpurpose.jpg

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
You can actually play it in first person.

The combat is basically holding attack button, and the game tells(with button prompt) when you need to hold down the defend button.

You can even hold the defend button to block everything. The animations are just eye candy and hardly factor into the gameplay.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
200_d.gif

First person will be interesting, but I bet it will be a gimmick that I'll try a for an hour and then I'll play the game how it was actually intended to be played.
How will you even know what's going on in combat around you and when to block an oncoming attack from behind...?
vot2XqC.gif

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Probably won't try this First Person Mode settings. For many reasons.

Actually the best I can do with the Windows Edition is playing at the lowest settings possible. But since I was already charged for the physical Windows Edition I can't complain lol.

Can anyone please tell me what the song is that plays in the first half of the video? I've been trying to find it but I always end up with either the demo version that was called GRATIA MUNDI by the fans or the faster version.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
200_d.gif

First person will be interesting, but I bet it will be a gimmick that I'll try a for an hour and then I'll play the game how it was actually intended to be played.
How will you even know what's going on in combat around you and when to block an oncoming attack from behind...?
Yeaah, the combat needs quite some changes to make it play well in first-person. Even in the normal mode you have issues knowing when some random attacks come in from behind and the Guard prompt is only displayed for heavier enemy attacks. So yeah, no clue how they're gonna handle this without either showing the Guard prompt for every attack or making adjustments to enemy attack AI like making enemies attack you only when they're in your view, lol, but that would obviously require more combat rebalancing since you'd get attcked less than in the third-person mode. Or maybe there's an easier solution that I'm missing right now.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I want I mod that makes noct's pants longer and either tucks them in or makes them go over his boots.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Probably won't try this First Person Mode settings. For many reasons.

Actually the best I can do with the Windows Edition is playing at the lowest settings possible. But since I was already charged for the physical Windows Edition I can't complain lol.

Can anyone please tell me what the song is that plays in the first half of the video? I've been trying to find it but I always end up with either the demo version that was called GRATIA MUNDI by the fans or the faster version.
Isn't that just the OST version?

Falk paging you just to make sure.

Bazztek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they had to rework how guns work for the first person view, probably not though using Cerberus had a scope in first person view on it, and Prompto's TPS controls could translate to FPS pretty well if they also have the first person view on character switching.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
Someone get this uploaded somewhere with less compression at 60fps.

That first person view with swords looks awful.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they had to rework how guns work for the first person view, probably not though using Cerberus had a scope in first person view on it, and Prompto's TPS controls could translate to FPS pretty well if they also have the first person view on character switching.
Oh, didn't think about Prompto. Isn't his normal pistol always auto-targeting though unlike the machine gun? Forced auto-targeting obviously wouldn't feel right in first-person mode.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I think there are easier, more effective ways to induce vomiting. I guess playing FFXV in VR could be interesting for people who want to puke to a Shimomura soundtrack.

ezgif-2168112475.gif

You know the first thing modders will probably do is a nude mod, right? lol

Considering that someone datamined the game's PS4 assets and found that the women had fully modeled nipples (and genitals?), you bet it will be.

Bazztek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, didn't think about Prompto. Isn't his normal pistol always auto-targeting though unlike the machine gun? Forced auto-targeting obviously wouldn't feel right in first-person mode.
Yeah his pistol works similar to Noctis using pistol with auto targeting action shooting, though using Bazooka and SMG with Prompto has the target reticle manual aiming. If they make his pistol and Noctis's have a reticle with manual aiming it could work well, though I doubt they'd go that far.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol, this First person thing looks awful because the animations of noctis attacks just clip through the screen, seems like some fan made fps mode, also looks like noctis walkspeed is really slow, this shows that this game was not made with this mode in consideration.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
This game needs to hurry up and come out. The only problem though is that I'll have to Uninstall TitanFall 2 and Doom to make space for this.

Anyway, I'm loving the new footage, but am annoyed, like everyone else, that they didn't capture their footage at 4K 60fps to get the absolute best quality out of Youtube. I'm really hoping for a steady 60fps at 1080p on a GTX1080 with most, if not all, Gameworks effects active.

Question though, was anyone able to tell from the video if the grass actually realistically reacted to the player? Doe it properly deform when stepped on? I couldn't quite tell. I know this was a touted feature of Turf Effects.