• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean...yeah you arent wrong.
SE is doing the most they can to commit without having to commit.

FFXV --- Pocket Edition
DQXI --- Switch version delayed for ages even though it was the first game to be announced for NX.

Their lipservice game is on point thats for sure.
They aren't doing it to piss off anyone. Pocket Edition probably is only getting a multiplat release to not get backlash for being Switch only as FFXV can't run on Switch. I agree that DQXI is a complete mess, but that's more on SE's management being a disaster in general, just look at VIIR and KH3 taking billions of years to be made -- they probably regret considering the Switch low effort for it tho.

People still trying to come up with logical defenses why its not viable for SE to release their classic post FF6 games on a Nintendo console.

You would think those excuses would dry down at least on Switch and when they have already Android/Phone version of FF7 and FF9 on the store.
It's not on Xbox too. I think this is a fair reason to believe VII - XII are never coming to any console not named Playstation.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Played a bit on my PC and it's fun. Have been waiting for it to go on sale, but I'll buy it on console instead if it's indeed coming.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
They aren't doing it to piss off anyone. Pocket Edition probably is only getting a multiplat release to not get backlash for being Switch only as FFXV can't run on Switch. I agree that DQXI is a complete mess, but that's more on SE's management being a disaster in general, just look at VIIR and KH3 taking billions of years to be made -- they probably regret considering the Switch low effort for it tho.

It's not on Xbox too. I think this is a fair reason to believe VII - XII are never coming to any console not named Playstation.
Where did I say that they are managing things like this to piss people off ? That's just how things are. They are hevanly invested in AAA and mobile....Switch came in later and they have to adjust to another viable system and see what they can bring to the console that's sitting between their two main income sources.

Xbox is irrelevant in Japan and it's the least favorable console when it comes to the JRPG audience. The people that wanna play SE games on consoles have a PS4 for the most part of at least a PC...so an additional Xbox version isn't needed for many of their smaller titles. Switch is a diffrent beast - shouldn't have to explain this post XB2 and Octopath Traveler.

Having said that ...yeah obv. the Classic FF games should also be on Xbox and they would perform well there as well.

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they're pretty much sending this dead on arrival to Switch. I hope Square doesn't have any sales expectations for this one.

Who's gonna buy dis?

Made the right choice the to repurchase on the PC.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It's fascinating what Square have done with FFXV. Never tried Pocket Edition on my phone but really interested to try it one day.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they're pretty much sending this dead on arrival to Switch. I hope Square doesn't have any sales expectations for this one.

Who's gonna buy dis?

Made the right choice the to repurchase on the PC.
In February over 3 million downloaded at least the first free episode of the Pocket Edition on mobile so there seemed to be some interest (no clue if there's a number for how many people bought how many of the rest of the episodes). Maybe for the right price it could sell decently on Switch.

extralite

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Obligatory "I'll play it if it has VR support" post. BTW why does Mobius not yet have VR support on Steam? Million Arthur was nice but all mobile class games could run in VR, so get to it SE.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
What other reason can you give for no Nintendo console receiving any post-VII Final Fantasy games despite them having both the hardware and customer-base to support such games? A grudge doesn't have to be Square's CEO slamming his fist on the table and shouting "NINTENDO MUST DIE!", it can simply just be Square Enix continuing to decide that those games simply aren't fit for a Nintendo console due to some illogical belief in tradition.

Is it the same reason why Xbox still doesn't have any FF games prior to XIII (excluding XI) lol

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
In February over 3 million downloaded at least the first free episode of the Pocket Edition on mobile so there seemed to be some interest (no clue if there's a number for how many people bought how many of the rest of the episodes). Maybe for the right price it could sell decently on Switch.

I downloaded it but then never actually launched it, so...

Free stuff on mobile doesn't always translate to $$$.

MillionStabs

Jan 11, 2018
"Look guys, we put FFXV on the Switch!"

*Double thumbs up to the camera as Seinfeld music plays in background*

Plum

May 31, 2018
Is it the same reason why Xbox still doesn't have any FF games prior to XIII (excluding XI) lol

Xbox doesn't have the same legacy with JRPGs and Final Fantasy itself that Nintendo does, it's very likely for slightly different reasons. Though both do likely just boil down to Square simply not taking anything but Playstation, PC and Mobile into account when it comes to porting those post-VII Final Fantasies.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What other reason can you give for no Nintendo console receiving any post-VII Final Fantasy games despite them having both the hardware and customer-base to support such games? A grudge doesn't have to be Square's CEO slamming his fist on the table and shouting "NINTENDO MUST DIE!", it can simply just be Square Enix continuing to decide that those games simply aren't fit for a Nintendo console due to some illogical belief in tradition.

Or the fact that FFXV is already at 30 fps on the base consoles, so getting it on Switch would make it look worse than the blurry mess that is Doom.

It doesn't have to be some controversy and yeah, there have been non-mainline Final Fantasy games on Nintendo consoles.

Seriously look at the context of this situation, not something out of EGM from 1999.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Or the fact that FFXV is already at 30 fps on the base consoles, so getting it on Switch would make it look worse than the blurry mess that is Doom.

It doesn't have to be some controversy and yeah, there have been non-mainline Final Fantasy games on Nintendo consoles.

Seriously look at the context of this situation, not something out of EGM from 1999.

See:

I'm not talking about FFXV, I'm talking about VII-to-XIV.

Oct 27, 2017
I really do find FFXV truly fascinating from the first reveal right through to its current situation. This is a game that has since its original form (versus XIII) been discussed for around 12 years and Square continues to fuel discussion with mobile games, DLC drops, free content updates, events, the existing anime on YouTube, the film on Netflix, and even further content into 2019. When all is said and done, by hook or by crook they have created the 'world of FFXV' they so desperately wanted to build without having to even make FFXV-2 for all intents and purposes. I dig FFXV (despite some puzzling usability issues and other creative issues) so I enjoy much of the stuff surrounding it. I think if this releases on Switch that is a wise move because it is about reaching as many audiences as possible with the FF brand and this condensed experience is a simple and possibly effective entry point to start new players to the franchise with (which the mobile version also works at). It wouldn't surprise me at all to see pocket editions of other SE titles as entry points to respective series.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PC only got FF because they did an easy port and it sold boatloads. Mobile sales also surprised them.

I think SE are dumb and don't think Nintendo and Xbox fans want the FF games. First time one does come and sells a shit load, we'll see them quickly change their tune. Mark my words.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PC only got FF because they did an easy port and it sold boatloads. Mobile sales also surprised them.

I think SE are dumb and don't think Nintendo and Xbox fans want the FF games. First time one does come and sells a shit load, we'll see them quickly change their tune. Mark my words.

Nintendo is a different story but Xbox has had multiple chances. With mediocre games like Final Fantasy Type 0, they sold basically nothing. I don't know that we ever got a platform breakdown of sales for XV.

Bartend3r

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My good lord. I wish SE would let this freak die already and start working on something else.

Toa Axis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
My good lord. I wish SE would let this freak die already and start working on something else.
Square has a wide variety of teams working on a wide variety of projects. FFXV and its related content has not and will slow or halt production on what other teams within Square Enix are doing.

Plus, this is a port, and ports in the industry typically don't have loads of resources or manpower thrown their way.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Xbox doesn't have the same legacy with JRPGs and Final Fantasy itself that Nintendo does, it's very likely for slightly different reasons. Though both do likely just boil down to Square simply not taking anything but Playstation, PC and Mobile into account when it comes to porting those post-VII Final Fantasies.

No. At least for FFVII and FFX that's not the case. FFVII was published by Sony in the West yet the only other platform it's on is Mobile/PC for over 20 years at this point. Just like Octopath was published by Nintendo in the West, so same rule applies. Same for FFX. Also published by Sony in the West. There's your simple reasoning for why those two have never appeared outside of PlayStation, and why they never will. Sony doesn't seem to consider PC/Mobile consoles and don't mind if the games they publish appear on them, as we've seen with other 3rd Party games published by SCE/SIE, such as Nioh.

As for VIII, IX, & XII, no idea but there's clearly a hidden contract we don't know about and Sony was involved in some capacity with these games. Notice how everything after XIII is literally on everything under the sun. And it doesn't just refer to FF, KH is similiar and other PS1/PS2 era franchises. Generally, anything Square-Enix after the PS2 era is on everything. KH 1&2 have never appeared on anything but PlayStation systems and they are PS2 era Square games. Not even Xbox has the collections.

There is a simple possible explanation to all I just said. Back in the PS1/PS2 era Sony bought a good chunk of Square's stock when they entered the financial dilemma we all know about. Even after merging with Enix they were still in trouble, no doubt that's why Sony chipped in to publish FFX outside of Japan. My understanding is that Sony most probably had some form of funding or money related aspect to all these games (Excluding VII/X since those are straight published so they are self explanatory) That is why VII-XII and PS1/PS2 era games haven't left PlayStation systems (Outside PC's) and probably brand loyalty is a fraction of the reasoning too I imagine. For example, Dissidia NT FF is PS4 exclusive because it was directly developed in collaboration with Sony and it uses straight PS4 architecture, which they helped optimize for arcades cause it literally is running on a PS4 on arcades. And of course, FFVII:R being "First on PS4" etc. Square just prefers Sony and I don't there's any myth to that. Doesn't mean they have a secret vendetta against Microsoft or Nintendo. Just means they have favoritism towards Sony above all else, while still supporting the other two with their own unique games utilizing each of their platforms.

Anyway, there you have it. My hands really hurt right now from typing all this Lol but hopefully this clears some things up for people.

Last edited:

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Can it really be that hard to understand how a huge company like SE with dozens of teams and external partners can work on tons of projects simultaneously? Do you really think this port of the Pocket Edition is holding up FFXVI or any other new games?
E7CctJB.png

Please read this thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/square-enix-projects-ot-please-be-exciting.62421/

Bartend3r

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can it really be that hard to understand how a huge company like SE with dozens of teams and external partners can work on tons of projects simultaneously? Do you really think this port of the Pocket Edition is holding up FFXVI or any other new games?
E7CctJB.png

Please read this thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/square-enix-projects-ot-please-be-exciting.62421/
I understand it. Just ironically wanted to express my dispise for SE to continue working on this game. Well, whatever.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
It's already on the windows store with KB/M support so this seems obvious.

Last edited:

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017

Tried the free part. Its a really good and enjoyable version of FFXV.

Been waiting for it to come on the Switch because I dont enjoy virtual joysticks

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
How is the battle system of PE compared to the main game? I'm all down for the visual downgrade, but I really enjoyed the battle system of the main game as well.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
How is the battle system of PE compared to the main game? I'm all down for the visual downgrade, but I really enjoyed the battle system of the main game as well.
From one review, based on the mobile touchscreen-based version:
[...]

Square Enix smartly chose not to attempt recreating a controller setup for Pocket Edition and instead embraces an automated experience. Everything is touch based and unlike the recent port of Square's Life is Strange to mobile, it makes sense here. The third-person camera angle of the original game is dropped in favor of an isometric viewpoint ideal for the point-and-move controls. In combat, everyone attacks without input but it's on me if I actually want to make it through each encounter in a timely manner. Noctis's rush technique requires me to hold down on an enemy for a moment as the rush gauge quickly fills before he flies in for the attack. I can touch the available icons to switch between Noctis's three prime weapons or use a one-time-use magic attack I pick up along the way.

Despite the fact everyone will attack on their own, I can't just sit idly by and watch the battles unfold. Well, I can for a lot of them because this game is super easy but that ease is contingent on me actually paying attention. I need to be ready to heal at a moment's notice. It's on me to dodge or parry an attack when the icon presents itself and my team won't activate their special moves without me tapping the icon when it appears.

Outside of battle and movement around the different areas I explore, touch controls are sparsely implemented. When in the car or atop a Chocobo, it's on auto-pilot with just a few, non-critical steering options at my control. Late in the game, my handling of the car becomes crucial in one of the few action sequences that really works here, but it's a fleeting experience.

[...]

It's hard to knock such an ambitious project for minor failings, but where there are so many they add up to a pretty big problem. Despite loving most everything the developer did with the controls, Pocket Edition's context-based icons can be rather iffy. Noctis's parry often requires an incredibly quick response to work, leading me to just hover my hand over the screen in anticipation of the icon. Taps of my partner special attack icons don't always register, and when they do it can massively screw up the action.

For instance, when I hit the icon for one of Prompto's special moves, the camera moves to him. If he's far away from the action as he's wont to be, it means I may miss a chance to hit a parry or dodge. The larger the battlefield, the more likely it is this will happen. Far more annoying than that is when the game misreads my finger taps, moving my character when what I really want to do is attack. Other times it'll just decide to send Noctis in a completely different direction all on its own.

[...]

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
There's controller support? Do you need to do anything special to enable it?

Sorry, it wasn't a controller I used it was KB/M I only tested it out briefly going to edit my original post. However an Xbox controller can already control the mouse and different buttons can be set to different keyboard inputs so it should still work.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just got Royal Edition this weekend on the PS4 and I'm having a good time. I looked up Pocket Edition on the iOS App Store and it looks a little toned down in comparison - though I bet some of the cutscenes would be hilarious.

Oct 27, 2017
If Pocket Edition HD was updated to include adaptions of all the currently available DLC episodes and had the promise of receiving versions of the upcoming DLC too, I would be all in.

It'd be cool to have the ability to toggle between the current character designs and some World of Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts-esque cartoony character models too, while I'm dreaming.

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
Is it weird I am more interested in this version of FFXV than the actual console version? I played some of the main version when it releases but this art style feels more like classic FF.