• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
I totally get what you're saying, but to me they proved Final Fantasy can work well in an open world. I'm not saying they executed perfectly by any stretch, but there's lots of things that were a great experience and with another crack at it with a better dev timeline I could see it being really special. Wasn't this the first open world game SE developed?

There's no realistic way that SE can develop an open world game with numerous unique continents and locations, with a lengthy main story, and excellent cutscenes. That's too many resources. That's why the Open World design is a mistake. The game doesn't benefit from it in any way. Everyone could've experienced everything they loved about the game even if it had a much smaller world size.

And if the game wasn't open world we would've had Noctis and co. as part of the invasion. And a more fleshed-out Tenebrae and Niflheim. And a much more fleshed-out story in general.

Last edited:

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
That looks awesome :D
Also, love Armiger Unleashed, the moves and particle effects are amazing.

Chaserjoey

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
The game is running really well on my laptop now that I upgraded to an SSD and added more ram.

There's something I noticed that I didn't when first playing: When leaving Keycatrich, on the radio, they said something about Luna, the safe havens, and the previous oracle (I forget her name...it was like Silva or something) and I've never heard it before. I might have been mistaken, but they made it seem as though they created the "save" havens around the map for people to be safe at night and they are protecting them. That's pretty cool that they sort of wrote the save spots into the story.
Sylvia Via Fleuret is Luna and Ravus' mother. She appears in Kingsglaive and has some backstory in the datalogs.

Grotto tucked away deep in the woods of the Malacchi Hills. After a recent string of incidents involving a speaking serpent who absconded with several small children, nearby residents dared not approach the mouth of the cave.

In their despair, the citizens called upon the aid of the former Oracle, Sylvia Via Fleuret. After luring the snake-like daemon into the hollow, the Oracle trapped it inside. While no other kidnappings have occurred since the sealing of the cave, one can still hear the hissing wails of the serpent within.

Perhaps coincidentally, several eyewitnesses say they spotted a woman marching toward the grotto a few weeks before the first incident was reported. The woman in question had allegedly lost her baby to a band of daemons and was presumably off in search of her stolen child. Any connection between these events, however, remains purely speculatory.

Oct 31, 2017
Ok seriously tho does anyone have advice for Costlemark

I'm lagging starting it because I'm still traumatized from that time where I stepped on some circle and it transported me to the entrance with no way back

Oct 31, 2017
Also I'm like halfway through Episode Prompto right now, and it's pure CRINGE honestly.

They didn't handle Prompto's backstory well at all, and they couldn't have made Verstael more generic if they tried. And the whole thing comes across as very forced.

Also I don't like how this game handles info scattered throughout the world. Way, way too convenient

That said, the effort put into the DLC is impressive. The area is beautiful, and quite large.

I also actually think it's pretty hard but that's because I'm terrible at shooters in general.

Oct 31, 2017
Jesus fucking christ someone give this guy a raise! My god!!!

I definitely think the people who were involved in XV's gameplay are super super talented. You can tell that they just had a lot of obstacles they had to overcome, like dealing with the incomplete engine and all the messes during development. But now they're more comfortable with it and they're able to produce some amazing results.

I'm not gonna lie, as much as I loved XIII's battle system, and as much as I like the ATB of previous games, I'm gonna be super sad if XVI isn't an ARPG and if there isn't some type of mechanic similar to warping. I think XV has the best gameplay in the series, warts and all.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I definitely think the people who were involved in XV's gameplay are super super talented. You can tell that they just had a lot of obstacles they had to overcome, like dealing with the incomplete engine and all the messes during development. But now they're more comfortable with it and they're able to produce some amazing results.

I'm not gonna lie, as much as I loved XIII's battle system, and as much as I like the ATB of previous games, I'm gonna be super sad if XVI isn't an ARPG and if there isn't some type of mechanic similar to warping. I think XV has the best gameplay in the series, warts and all.
Definitely man, these are hands down the best animations in gaming. I really love we still have this kind of over the top crazy games, thats my fav kind of games.

In a world were people are sometimes prefering more grounded takes in genres/games, ffxv feels so refreshing. The game goes out of its way to deliver an amazing action focused experience. Like having 4 weapons swapable on the fly and 4 characters too. Simply awesome.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
To be very candid for a moment, I do feel that part of the FF DNA has a fair bit to do with mild number crunching and theorycrafting and working with a set of given puzzle pieces to figure out combinations (some of them outright broken) - everything from Materia combos to absurdly inflated stats via drawing and junctioning (lol) to the hilariously broken shit like Red Mage + Ninja spam in Bravely Default.

If anyone's ever pulled that off in an action game, I don't think I've ever felt it was to a satisfying degree. That being said, FFXV isn't meant to be one of those types of games to begin with and instead has incredible action gameplay during its best moments. I personally do wish to see some form of big-budget return to ATB at some point, though.

There eventually was an NES/SNES-style spinoff (Bravely Default) - maybe someday we'll get an ATB or even FFX turn-order spinoff. That isn't a gacha game or crossover character nostalgia-fest like WoFF.

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely think the people who were involved in XV's gameplay are super super talented. You can tell that they just had a lot of obstacles they had to overcome, like dealing with the incomplete engine and all the messes during development. But now they're more comfortable with it and they're able to produce some amazing results

This was the main KH development team after all. Wonder who is still there.

Deleted member 21858

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Also I'm like halfway through Episode Prompto right now, and it's pure CRINGE honestly.

They didn't handle Prompto's backstory well at all, and they couldn't have made Verstael more generic if they tried. And the whole thing comes across as very forced.

Also I don't like how this game handles info scattered throughout the world. Way, way too convenient

That said, the effort put into the DLC is impressive. The area is beautiful, and quite large.

I also actually think it's pretty hard but that's because I'm terrible at shooters in general.

That episode was pretty bad IMO.

It´s also such a SUPER cliche, holy shit...

"Ohhh will they accept me as a friend!?!?!? *cries*" cmon we heard that story about 5000 times and we know exactly how it ends. Terrible.

FrontierGamer

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
nqWA9I9.gif

Sublime elegance, and majestic epicity O_O

Bazztek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
During one of the XV ATRs Tabata listed devs working/credited on the game which included quite a few KH people involved in combat, enemies, level design and animation on KH1/KH2, and quite a few of those names he listed he mentioned were working on the game since Versus, but none of those names were the 20 or so KH1/2 people listed in the 2008 Versus trailer besides Hasegawa, and other than Nomura, Nojima and Shimomura. So my guess is those "new" Versus people were on it since 2010 since that's the only time they were hiring devs for Versus, and they merged them with Type-0 team in 2012 as we know. People like Ferrari, Wan Hazmer, Prasert Sun are confirmed to have joined Versus only in 2010 too, and both Ferrari and Hazmer were also on Type-0 since 2010.

a Question

Oct 28, 2017
lol don't start this. If Nomura was such a talentless hack he wouldn't be in charge of KH3 and VIIR.

Oh no Im not saying Nomura is talentless but whatever Tabata had at hand when he came to the project certainly was a mess to deal with in 2 years dev time that Nomura could not finish in 10 years.

Nomura obviously great director in art section but (from what I hear) he is known to be notorious and picky with details to the point of redoing whole thing from scratch just because he is not satisfied with lighting on the rock.

When square announced that FF7R is now done inhouse due to qulaity issues I assume that CyberConnect2 could not deal with Nomura's pickiness. I mean they saying that CC2 a studio that know on delivering polish product have quality issues?

During one of the XV ATRs Tabata listed devs working/credited on the game which included quite a few KH people involved in combat, enemies, level design and animation on KH1/KH2, and quite a few of those names he listed he mentioned were working on the game since Versus, but none of those names were the 20 or so KH1/2 people listed in the 2008 Versus trailer besides Hasegawa, and other than Nomura, Nojima and Shimomura. So my guess is those "new" Versus people were on it since 2010 since that's the only time they were hiring devs for Versus, and they merged them with Type-0 team in 2012 as we know. People like Ferrari, Wan Hazmer, Prasert Sun are confirmed to have joined Versus only in 2010 too, and both Ferrari and Hazmer were also on Type-0 since 2010.

Is or was Nomura on KH3? I remember right before E3, when Sony announced FF7 Remake, Pat speculated on SuperBestFriendcast that Nomura may be on another Final Fantasy project because of interview where Kingdom Hearts team stated that they are doing fine without him or he is not that much involved.

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ansel's super-res mode causes weird issues, which is forcing me to instead bump up the internal resolution beforehand. Kinda annoying.
Super-res
8189896e1b.jpg

Normal
aa35b73e46.png

Super-res worked fine with this shot, for some reason.
37e5815ef5.jpg

a Question

Oct 28, 2017
For those who have good eye, is Duscae demo had "slightly" better graphics or it was some type of filter trick?Like its give no huge difference?

Also how do you rate the ultra PC settings with 2013 demo? Though demo is intense with reflections and particles effects something about seemed to me ... off, besides frame rate.
Edit: Sorry if this topic was before. For some reason 2013 demo does something looking odd, maybe its textures quality?

Last edited:

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I did the "hidden" dungeon tonight. I had no idea it existed until I happened to read about it while looking up something else. Took about three hours of off and on playing (took time for dinner and just general stretching my legs). I'm not sure the end reward was really worth that frustration.

Some of the jumps that you need to do were made artificially difficult by the general floatiness that's already prevalent in the game. Then Noctis sometimes likes to roll when landing which didn't help things out. And then the 2D section had its own issues... good God.

a Question

Oct 28, 2017
I did the "hidden" dungeon tonight. I had no idea it existed until I happened to read about it while looking up something else. Took about three hours of off and on playing (took time for dinner and just general stretching my legs). I'm not sure the end reward was really worth that frustration.

Some of the jumps that you need to do were made artificially difficult by the general floatiness that's already prevalent in the game. Then Noctis sometimes likes to roll when landing which didn't help things out. And then the 2D section had its own issues... good God.

Would be those jumps easier in first person?

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Is or was Nomura on KH3? I remember right before E3, when Sony announced FF7 Remake, Pat speculated on SuperBestFriendcast that Nomura may be on another Final Fantasy project because of interview where Kingdom Hearts team stated that they are doing fine without him or he is not that much involved.
Tai Yasue is the Co-Director of KH3 and he deals with the day to day directing jobs required for the game. Nomura checks in every so often, but wrote the scenario and script, attends the important meetings with Square Enix and Disney, and signs off on everything added to the game.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Would be those jumps easier in first person?
I don't feel like they would be but I admittedly didn't try it out. It's more to do with the physics in the game itself being a pain in the butt. Jumps you feel like you 'should' make come up short because the game decides that you moved forward enough in your jump and halts all forward momentum. Or Noctis takes an extra step when trying to turn on a surface no wider than a balance beam. Or he takes a big step right off of a platform when all you need for him to do is just inch ever so slightly over. Or he rolls when landing but if you drop down just a pixel or two in this direction, he'll land without rolling. Or there is some weird momentum where sometimes you will try to jump again right after a long jump but you lose all forward momentum and it comes off as nothing more than a little bunnyhop.

And every room teleports you back to the beginning of the room if you fall all the way down into the abyss, or if you hit spikes. Sometimes you'll be close enough to another room that it teleports you to the start of that room instead, meaning you have to run back to the first room and... well yeah. You get the idea.

I suppose that's why it's kind of out of the way and a bonus hidden dungeon. The game just doesn't seem like it was made with that type of gameplay in mind and it really shows. Props to those that don't have any problems with it though. I honestly love the idea of a puzzle only dungeon but whew, that was a test of my tolerance for BS.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Completed Costlemark Tower and got the last Royal Arms. I LOVE IT!

I have read lots of comments regarding this dungeon, about how frustrating it is. After going through it, I totally understand that this dungeon is not for everyone. For starter, it has two branches in the early half of the dungeon (jumping down from places to get to two items), but the most interesting (or annoying) session is the moving cube. I have no idea what I was doing at first, but after trials and errors, I can figure out the structure and reach the final room. I took 2 hours to beat it and find it to be complex as well as refreshing. I grew up with old-school JRPG like DQs and some obscure RPGs I don't even remember the name. They usually have mind-bending dungeons that I need to draw up a map myself while going through them. However, I think recent JRPGs are too "beginner-friendly" and the developers are afraid to put long and complex dungeons into them. On the other hand, FFXV has two of three most complex dungeons (Costlemark Tower and Crestholm Channels) I have experienced recently (the third one is Spirit Crucible Elpys from Xenoblade 2). This game really impressed me with its dungeon design. Well done, FFXV team.

Deleted member 3888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
finished the game, spoilers:

okay you fucks got me with the ending and the credit scroll and epilogue, the photos was a nice touch

final photo

ffxv_s_2018_03_25_11_kqog6.jpg

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sylvia Via Fleuret is Luna and Ravus' mother. She appears in Kingsglaive and has some backstory in the datalogs.

Grotto tucked away deep in the woods of the Malacchi Hills. After a recent string of incidents involving a speaking serpent who absconded with several small children, nearby residents dared not approach the mouth of the cave.

In their despair, the citizens called upon the aid of the former Oracle, Sylvia Via Fleuret. After luring the snake-like daemon into the hollow, the Oracle trapped it inside. While no other kidnappings have occurred since the sealing of the cave, one can still hear the hissing wails of the serpent within.

Perhaps coincidentally, several eyewitnesses say they spotted a woman marching toward the grotto a few weeks before the first incident was reported. The woman in question had allegedly lost her baby to a band of daemons and was presumably off in search of her stolen child. Any connection between these events, however, remains purely speculatory.
Thanks for posting this, I had been wondering why the enemy mentioned a baby but never figured it out.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've said it many times. Ffxv has so much heart and it's wonderful to see another set of players experiencing it and so many enjoying it, even if they rightfully think of it as an incomplete as a game.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for posting this, I had been wondering why the enemy mentioned a baby but never figured it out.
No worries. I remember when the theory was that Prompto was her baby / reminded her of her baby. Glad that we finally got an answer to what was going on with the snake lady, but it's truly a depressing end to her tale.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to say Armiger Unleashed actually gives you a reason to get all of the royal arms. The game just drops that plot point and then it's never really mentioned again. I'm glad they added something for the people that go out of their way to get all of them.

Klean

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm in chapter 4 and I feel like I must be missing something because I'm completely bored with this game. The side quests are terrible, the main quest and story are boring and poorly told (I watched the movie and anime), there's no depth to the characters, and the combat hasn't been more the holding down circle and occasionally warp striking.

Considering just mainlining the story to get it over with.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
I'm in chapter 4 and I feel like I must be missing something because I'm completely bored with this game. The side quests are terrible, the main quest and story are boring and poorly told (I watched the movie and anime), there's no depth to the characters, and the combat hasn't been more the holding down circle and occasionally warp striking.

???? Yeah, the story has it's problems... and the side quests can be a pain at times... but the combat??? Playing as Noctis is awesome. Change him to some cool clothes if you can and invest in his skills and watch yourself be hype in combat. Lol

Bazztek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh no Im not saying Nomura is talentless but whatever Tabata had at hand when he came to the project certainly was a mess to deal with in 2 years dev time that Nomura could not finish in 10 years.

Nomura obviously great director in art section but (from what I hear) he is known to be notorious and picky with details to the point of redoing whole thing from scratch just because he is not satisfied with lighting on the rock.

When square announced that FF7R is now done inhouse due to qulaity issues I assume that CyberConnect2 could not deal with Nomura's pickiness. I mean they saying that CC2 a studio that know on delivering polish product have quality issues?

FF7R started sometime in 2014 so that may be why Nomura wasn't heavily doing stuff on KH3 at the time and Yasue was probably heading most of it until they reached a certain milestone.

For those who have good eye, is Duscae demo had "slightly" better graphics or it was some type of filter trick?Like its give no huge difference?

Also how do you rate the ultra PC settings with 2013 demo? Though demo is intense with reflections and particles effects something about seemed to me ... off, besides frame rate.
Edit: Sorry if this topic was before. For some reason 2013 demo does something looking odd, maybe its textures quality?

The 2013 Insomnia citadel footage on Ebony was using likely the models the had made for the PS3 version, that was before they recreated all the model assets from scratch and moved to Luminous engine. And "graphics" wise I don't think Episode Duscae looked better than the final game, it just used different filter with a ton of bloom and had a vignette on screen, and other than that vegetation looked darker. The actual resolution. draw distance, vegetation, frame rate, textures etc were much improved by the final game.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017

The combat and dungeon are the best things of this game. Check LightEntite's post below for some explanations:
I'm quoting Spiderman but this is generally for everyone who struggles with "understanding" this game

The biggest issue with this game's combat is that it doesn't try to teach you how to play effectively. You can technically potion your way out of every single fight in the game, but that's not actually how the game was designed to be played.

1) Noctis has very pretty attack animations, but he's not actually designed to hack away at enemies like an action game character. You CAN play this way, but it actually requires you to first have the abilities, gear, and player skill to do this, which usually doesn't come until like endgame. Instead, you should view combat from a more strategic viewpoint. The game gives you weapons, but it also gives you tech skills and magic. Your Tech Skills are usually 10x better suited to handle most situations than Noctis is.

being swarmed by enemies? = Gladio's Tempest, Prompto's Gravisphere (underrated), Ignis' Mark.

Giant enemies flail around and hit you too much? = Provoke them to attack, and then try to blindside them. Some enemies will almost always just knock you over if you just start hacking away at them.

You aren't doing enough damage? = Prompto's Piercer attack lowers enemy defense. Ignis' Enhancement will make Noctis do opposite element damage to the enemy you're fighting, giving you a decent power boost. Royal Arms usually ignore the enemy's strengths and weaknesses, even Daemons, so they have consistent damage.

Enemies doing too much damage? = Change your gear. Prioritize Vitality, Spirit, or elemental resistances. If you're fighting Daemons, then Prompto's Starshell severely lowers their stats. This works on pretty much every Daemon except the Red Giant.

2) Warpstrike isn't always that good. Some enemies will almost always punish you for doing it in their faces, and some enemies (Imperial Assassins) will almost always flat-out kill you for doing it. Royal Arm warpstrikes are almost never worth it, they deal a ridiculous amount of HP damage and should only be done as finishing moves. Use their regular attacks more often, they're far more useful.

3) Linkstrikes are nearly always the best source of great damage, so always aim for blindside attacks. They do crazy damage, they're fully invincible, and they cost nothing to do. This is what you're aiming for in combat, especially against big enemies. Alongside tech skills and overall DPS, this is primarily why you should always aim to keep all 3 characters alive.

4) If an enemy has multiple targeting points on its body, try to focus one to cause a Break, or knock it over to put it in Vulnerable state. Long-range warpstrikes, the greatsword, and certain Tech skills are excellent at this, but you can also just do it with focused damage. Gladio's Dawnhammer and Prompto's Recoil is very well suited for this. Ignis' Overwhelm skill is basically a 2-bar Armiger Strike, learn when to use this.

5) As of the newest update, learn the strengths of your playable teammates.
- Prompto is excellent at focus-fire, and putting enemies in a break/vulnerable state with his explosives and rifle.
- Gladio is the best brawler, he does an insane amount of damage and his attacks have an extremely wide range. If there's only one enemy you're fighting, Gladio is always a good choice, especially against massive ones.
- Ignis is a jack of all trades, but his real niche is dealing with elemental weaknesses. He can also output a ridiculous amount of damage if you're able to get his chain meter up.

Noctis is the most versatile, with the highest skillcap. At first glance the bros all seem much stronger than him, but what they can't do is make use of all of the crazy mechanics that he can -- the 3 Tech skills, Linkstrikes, Armiger, Airstep, Chain-strike, Warpstrike/Pointwarp, and Elemancy (the most potentially broken of all).

This game's combat system is actually surprisingly deep, which is why I encourage people to try and play without using items so that you can explore all the options.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ansel's super-res mode causes weird issues, which is forcing me to instead bump up the internal resolution beforehand. Kinda annoying.

Super-res worked fine with this shot, for some reason.
37e5815ef5.jpg

How do you get that suit for Noctis

Edit: I see it's a mod the changes the Kingly Raiment. I really wish it could just be added as an item in the game. When is this workshop thing on STEAM going to take off for this game?

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Lol, even back in 2013 the targeting system went completely insane against the behemoths and iron giants.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
I'm on episode 11 and hating the story. How far am I in the game?

Didn't like the murder of Lunafreya one bit. Nor the messenger dog nonsense, that's animal abuse!. The titans story is not really explained very well, other than to say Noct is the chosen king and they're supposed to help him save the earth or something. Some giant crystal crashed. Some titan is holding it? wtf?

and sidequests are trash (huge failing of an RPG) so I am going to stop doing them unless I desperately need the Gil or EXP.

Combat is the best in FF history and the game is beautiful, but ultimately, this game is a failure. Half the pillars are weak or missing.

Story, Combat, sidequests, graphics and music. You need all 5 to be at least good to have a good RPG.

The open world was a huge mistake. I don't want to run in a giant deserted landscape for no reason. I'm teleporting everywhere I can. Zelda's open world is 5 times better and I still think it was way too big. Density of content is important...

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say 5-6 hours from the end, if you push through it quickly. Chapter 13 will take you some time, as will Chapter 14 if you have the Royal Edition.

As for your spoiler, should be explained to you soon.

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017

Didn't like the murder of Lunafreya one bit. Nor the messenger dog nonsense, that's animal abuse!. The titans story is not really explained very well, other than to say Noct is the chosen king and they're supposed to help him save the earth or something. Some giant crystal crashed. Some titan is holding it? wtf?

and sidequests are trash (huge failing of an RPG) so I am going to stop doing them unless I desperately need the Gil or EXP.

Combat is the best in FF history and the game is beautiful, but ultimately, this game is a failure. Half the pillars are weak or missing.

Story, Combat, sidequests, graphics and music. You need all 5 to be at least good to have a good RPG.

The open world was a huge mistake. I don't want to run in a giant deserted landscape for no reason. I'm teleporting everywhere I can. Zelda's open world is 5 times better and I still think it was way too big. Density of content is important...
You're basically in the final third of the game. I wouldn't even worry about sidequests now because there aren't really any left, other than some they added in Royal Edition/PC. It's mostly up to how quick you power through now.

Deleted member 3888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fucking hell I can't find these god damn headlights D:

this place is amaaaazing

edit: found them, and found more switch, i'm not staying here..

Last edited:

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spoilery Ansel shots from the ending
f92FinalFantasyXVWindow.jpg

70cFinalFantasyXVWindow.jpg

230FinalFantasyXVWindow.jpg

207FinalFantasyXVWindow.jpg

9d4FinalFantasyXVWindow.jpg

879FinalFantasyXVWindow.jpg

e04FinalFantasyXVWindow.jpg

890FinalFantasyXVWindow.jpg

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
After the disapointment of chapter 13, chapter 14 and it's difficulty spike is a very welcome change of pace.

Narration is still trash thought.
They couldn't even put any feeling to the group reunion with Noctis.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
So I beat the game last night. Man, the ending made me angery. It felt so poignant, yet was sullied due to many missing plot elements. Going online and reading a full break down of the sorry helped me to appreciate it a lot more though. I'm like, the story is actually extremely good; it's just that it's told so haphazardly.

Regardless, I still enjoy the game immensely, and I look forward to chapter 15 adventures.

Question about New Game+ though, what actually cares over? I'm guessing you lose access to royal arms? Do you keep all of your Gil, Recipes, and Items?

Last edited:

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
So I beat the game last night. Man, the ending made me angery. It felt so poignant, yet was sullied due to many missing plot elements. Going online and reading a full break down of the sorry helped me to appreciate it a lot more though. I'm like, the story is actually extremely good; it's just that it's told so haphazardly.

Regardless, I still enjoy the game immensely, and I look forward to cheaper 15 adventures.

Question about New Game+ though, what actually cares over? I'm guessing you lose access to royal arms? Do you keep all of your Gil, Recipes, and Items?
See:
You keep the following :

• Experience and levels
  • Ascension skill progression
  • Survival, Fishing, Cooking and Photography levels.
  • Outfits (it will literally load you at the beginning of the game with the clothes you had in your last save, so you might want to change into something fitting for that first scene)
  • Weapons (The Engine Blade is an exception, and it will be reset to its starting conditions)
  • Royal Arms
  • Accessories
  • Items
  • Gil
  • Spells
  • Ignis' Recipes
  • Regalia Customization and customization colors, decals and components (excluding the Type-F upgrade, unfortunately. No flying from the beginning)
  • Ability to rent chocobos and your chocobo customization
All story progression, quests, hunting rank and hunts completion will be reset.

Source.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Duscae certainly had better lighting than the retail console version or PC version:

27136005798_20f7a8be96_h.jpg

40113751155_463132edba_h.jpg

40113742775_2f75451698_h.jpg

39197683570_578a8db8f7_h.jpg

The game now looks a lot flatter, with less contrast, less realistic and more stylized.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I have no idea.

There's certainly something about the lighting that's just "better", though I can't put my finger exactly on why. It was stronger, and felt more illuminating I think. It may also have something to do with the shadows. I recall later footage of FFXV feeling alot more "flat". The IQ was also infinitely better, which is a big reason....FFXV on PS4Pro and even mid-to-high settings on PC suffers from pretty bad artifacts when it comes to stuff like hair and grass but Duscae never had this issue it seemed.

Ultimately I think the final version looked alot better than the demo, but that's mainly because it was just better designed. From a technical standpoint i think Duscae definitely looked better than the final game (easily noticable with things like water and whatnot) but duscae was missing like everything in the game, so perhaps it was unfeasible to keep in the actual game.

2013 demo doesn't look that good. It's from a version of the engine before it was ported to Luminous and it's easy to tell, especially in the extended gameplay video.

There's no realistic way that SE can develop an open world game with numerous unique continents and locations, with a lengthy main story, and excellent cutscenes. That's too many resources. That's why the Open World design is a mistake. The game doesn't benefit from it in any way. Everyone could've experienced everything they loved about the game even if it had a much smaller world size.

Nah, I disagree. Again, people have to remember that with FFXV they were developing the engine, the tools, and the game all in parallel. Certain things in FFXV like the off-roads car, the boat, multiple hunts, and character switching were things that didn't launch with the game not because they didn't have the resources, but because they actually hadn't programmed the framework to make it possible.

If resources weren't devoted to actually making the engine the game was running on, they probably could have crammed alot more content into the base game.

And also given XV's current size, what actually existed was still pretty sizable. Altissa for example was waaaaaaaaaaay bigger than it ever needed to be for its role in the game, and most FF towns don't really require a bunch of exploration to be interesting. None of the PSX games did.

HOLY SHIT DEBUG MODE

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Duscae also run like dogshit? I'm guessing they had to make various concessions to make the final game perform better on consoles. Shame they couldn't reinstate the lighting into the PC version. Let's see how extensive their mod tools are, then modders can have a crack at it.