• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Disagree, i appreciate certain aspects of it but visual wise EP. Duscae doesn't hold a canle to the improvements the retail/PC version bought

Agreed. Episode Duscae looks so muted and dead compared to the final version. I will shamelessly repost the video comparisons I made. The retail version is a lot more vibrant and alive, geometry is greatly improved, there's a lot more vegetation and enemies roaming around the field. The retail game also runs better than episode Duscae and has better IQ.

Bazztek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have like 50gb of video and pics saved from Ep Duscae, and noway does it look better than the final game. Maybe if you like vaseline and a fuckton of bloom smeared all over your screen you could though I guess.

Now the 2014 PC build that's different since that looked way better than Ep Duscae, but I see the final PC version already exceeds what that did too.

Samsquanchewans

User Permed at their request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
#NOTJAPAN
The entirety of Chapter 14 inside Insomnia is pretty much completely different now. All of the missions in there are new, since there weren't any before.

There are also a couple of minor quests in chapter 10.
Never noticed anything new in C10 may need to re replay that. Still have to go through CHRONO TRIGGER on PC, Anyways, love the new additions of Insomnia though. I like the new cutscenes especially the transition between the usable characters also, the fenrir moment. Its super good!

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
So what would be the best approach to the game? I did a lot of quests in the open world, now I'm in chapter 10 at lvl 52. Still a ton of quests in the open world, I can't decide if I should continue the story and come back later or finish all that stuff and then go on with the story. What would you suggest?

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
What do people think about the modding possibilities for this game? I have a bucket list of minor annoyances (mostly involving the HUD) and it would be great if those could be solved in time.

Akumasama

Nov 8, 2017
Italy
Not sure if somebody already asked and I miss, but is there any way to import someone else's game save into, I dunno, some folder in the game install, so it reads that game save as if i were yours?

I've already got Platinum Trophy on the base FFXV game on PS4, would love to make a speed run in the PC version to enjoy all the new DLC content and fixes and blahblah, but I would want to do it on a NewGamePlus save with everything unlocked (everything that carries over, of course), and I can't really do that on PC unless I can somehow get a hold of someone else's game save.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
What do people think about the modding possibilities for this game? I have a bucket list of minor annoyances (mostly involving the HUD) and it would be great if those could be solved in time.
Hard to say, the first official tools should only be available in a couple month, and from what I gather it will only allow things ( model and textures import/export ) that people already made unofficial tools for..

But based on the interview we should end up with pretty complete tools.

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well the engine problems were Crystal Tools, in around 2007 Nomura mentioned he had an idea of what he wanted to do but was waiting for Crystal Tools and resources to be freed, since the 1st PDP was mostly on FF13 at the time, which is why after FF13 finished in Dec 2009 they created Ebony in 2010 which was a heavily modified Crystal Tools, it was what Nomura called the "Versus specific engine" in an interview in 2011, and he cited back then that they going to implement Luminous lighting into the game, though that wouldn't happen for a while. Once Versus was rebooted to XV in 2012 they created a DX11 version of the Ebony engine so that they could eventually migrate to Luminous which was also DX11 based, which only started the migration in July 2013, a month after they showed it at E3 2013. It was around that time that they started recreating all the assets from the ground up, and also when a lot of reevaluating of the direction the game was taking happened.

The E3 2013 Insomnia citadel footage was basically a prototype build that Tabata was tasked with making when he was assinged to the game, the engine at that time was a DX11 version Ebony Engine but also had Yebis 2 middleware intergrated into it, about a month later is when they moved to Luminous. Nomura mentioned in 2013 that when doing tests on the PS3 version in 2012 that the map couldn't keep up when driving the car, and that was also one of the reasons why he wanted to move to 8th gen and aim for a more seamless as possible goal, even as far back as 2010 he talked about his goal being to make it as seamless as possible with loads only on some areas of the game.

I wonder if Nomura ever thought of using Unreal Engine 3 when the game was still Versus XIII. I think there was some kind of speculation/rumor that Versus XIII could use UE3 instead of Crystal Tools.

As far as I know people have done some research on this in the original version of the game, and from the designs on the streetlamps/etc, it looks like it was likely intended to be on the Niflheim continent. Considering they supposedly modeled the entire train line from Cartanica all the way to Gralea, I wouldn't be surprised if the train station is somewhere out there.

I think it's the same train station that's in the Omen trailer.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Cerberus
Boss fight is like, really really really freaking good.

God my opinion on the game would have been so different if this was the norm, not the exception after 30h.

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since it seems like the

Aranea DLC thing was because she was in Prompto's DLC, wouldn't also this be the case for Ravus DLC since he was in Igni's?

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Disagree, i appreciate certain aspects of it but visual wise EP. Duscae doesn't hold a canle to the improvements the retail/PC version bought

You might want to again carefully read the full post that you partially quoted and disagreed with. ;)

I do agree that Duscae appeared a little drab and dark during the day in the demo. In the retail version Duscae looks so much brighter and greener. It's much more pleasing to look at. Duscae in general looks so much better. I remember we all were surprised how amazing it suddenly looked shortly before release. :)

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
There was something added to the game, now that I remember, that wasn't really mentioned before. It's probably been talked about, but I'm curious if anyone can shed some light. Spoiler follows:
I quickly read in the files on Noctis, it said he suffered some kind of injury or something that prevented him from using his powers when he was young. Does this ever get explained or expanded on anywhere else? If so, you don't have to spoil it, just point me in the right direction.

--

Guys, I have bought this game today. I have a non-Ti 1080 and should I download the high res pack?

It depends on if you are playing in resolutions above 1080p. For example, if you have a 1080p monitor, then I wouldn't bother. But if you are playing in 1440p at least then it would be worth the higher res textures. Someone could correct me but I remember people mentioning this in the other thread.

I would recommend you have at least an SSD though (or a faster HDD) because this will put a big strain on streaming from the disc.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
There was something added to the game, now that I remember, that wasn't really mentioned before. It's probably been talked about, but I'm curious if anyone can shed some light. Spoiler follows:
I quickly read in the files on Noctis, it said he suffered some kind of injury or something that prevented him from using his powers when he was young. Does this ever get explained or expanded on anywhere else? If so, you don't have to spoil it, just point me in the right direction.

That'd be the stuff shown in Brotherhood, wouldn't it?

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
If it was, I don't remember. Looks like I will have to go back and watch those episodes.

Like, I don't think the

"couldn't use his power when he was younger" thing is really expanded on or maybe even mentioned explictly

but

we see him being seriously injured as a child when they're attacked by the Naga demon so I would assume that's what it's talking about?

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Since it seems like the

Aranea DLC thing was because she was in Prompto's DLC, wouldn't also this be the case for Ravus DLC since he was in Igni's?
If I understood it right, in Aranea's case her name was only tagged in the DLC files, but with Ravus there's actually outright "Episode Ravus" mentioned somewhere in the data.

If it's true, I must say I'm not really interested much in Ravus. Actually, thinking about it, there's nothing regarding the main story that I still feel the need to know more of - pretty much everything's clear now. I don't care about the Niflheim side of things. I'm only still interested in Ardyn's backstory, but only if it's actually about his distant past. If it's set just shortly before and during the main story, then I'm probably gonna skip it.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Like, I don't think the

"couldn't use his power when he was younger" thing is really expanded on or maybe even mentioned explictly

but

we see him being seriously injured as a child when they're attacked by the Naga demon so I would assume that's what it's talking about?
That actually makes sense. That's probably what it is.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
I dropped Comrades and finally played the new Chapter 14. I like a lot of the additions, but it's annoying that I had to use Chapter Select to do everything new in Chapter 14 instead of loading my postgame save.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it wasn't outright mentioned before that it limited his powers, afaik. We obviously knew he had an accident from the Brotherhood anime, the Platinum Demo, and from the Kingsglaive intro, but no details about its effect on him.

The Brotherhood anime showed his accident where he was attacked by a Marilith as a kid (btw, the woman dying here is his maid, not his mother who died at his birth):

[at 1:55]

I dropped Comrades and finally played the new Chapter 14. I like a lot of the additions, but it's annoying that I had to use Chapter Select to do everything new in Chapter 14 instead of loading my postgame save.
Don't forget NOT to overwrite your most current save game with the one from during the chapter select or you will lose all your sidequest and hunt progression on that save!!!

Oct 25, 2017
Never noticed anything new in C10 may need to re replay that. Still have to go through CHRONO TRIGGER on PC, Anyways, love the new additions of Insomnia though. I like the new cutscenes especially the transition between the usable characters also, the fenrir moment. Its super good!

It's nothing exciting. 2 new quest NPCs. One wants you to find some chocobo chicks that are wandering around the train station. The other wants you to take pictures of the construction machine thing in the dungeon with the malboro boss.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Generally speaking, yes.

That was honestly the only change from Duscae I really disliked. There were alot of contextual parry animations in Duscae that didn't make it into the final game, for whatever reason. Too much memory, too situational, i dont know.

There are still a ton of contextual parries in the game, but in Duscae pretty much every parry resulted in a specific reprisal animation (like Noctis slamming goblins with the greatsword) and in the final game they are generally replaced with a current weapon-specific counter attack.

I'm just guessing that it wouldn't have made sense to try that in the final game because the variance of weapons avaliable to you at any given time is massive.

Bazztek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only that Goblin overhead slam with the Greatsword and the Garula greatsword parry with Prompto sliding in/Gladio doing a sword swing/Ignis doing a downward spin attack and knocing the Garula away aren't, but that throwing the Polearm, the upward swinging Greatsword and the cartwheel flip over the MT is still in, and also that Behemoth one where he jumps up from its horn into the air is still there sort of, but they changed it so he does Fire magic when in the air instead of doing a "warp-drive" like it was before, though when you parry the Cerberus he does something pretty similar to that.

I preferred the "spidey sense" lines that they used in ED over the large button prompt in the middle of the screen they used in the final game too.

Last edited:

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't recall Magitek engine's getting this close

aYk9C7d.gif

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda surprised SE never went hard on costume DLC. Perhaps modders can give us suits for everyone, like this part from Yakuza 4.
JJV49RE.jpg

FrontierGamer

Banned
Jan 31, 2018

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda surprised SE never went hard on costume DLC. Perhaps modders can give us suits for everyone, like this part from Yakuza 4.

Sort of related, but I'm still kind of confused that they didn't officially include those really obvious costumes like 'Versus' suit Noctis and Ignis with his hair actually down, yet making them playable was simple enough for them to be modded in almost instantly.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Sort of related, but I'm still kind of confused that they didn't officially include those really obvious costumes like 'Versus' suit Noctis and Ignis with his hair actually down, yet making them playable was simple enough for them to be modded in almost instantly.

I think they patched it so that Iggy's hair goes down properly with the episode costume? But Versus suit Noct is super baffling because it's not even an unused asset, I don't get why it'd be in the main game but you wouldn't let me unlock it for further use....

I'm glad mods are already out there to fix that, but I'm gonna wait until they're proper separate items instead of replacements.

edit: Wow, I forgot all about those Roen clothes. They're neat. The other bros don't have nearly enough costumes compared to Noct, so it's a shame they didn't give them those.

I'd love to see those get modded in too, but I'm guessing they're a little bit too obscure for that to happen!

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
There was some other outfits that Roen designed for the game that were never used, and I'm pretty sure they would have been worn by Gladio/Ignis/Prompto at the peace treaty party originally.
Damn, these are hot basura. Which one of those would suit anyone besides Prompto though? :D

The concept art you posted once showed the bros at the party with seemingly normal suits:

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I actually never understood why SE has been leaving money on the table, lol.

Cool, paid costume DLC, instead of all the free, silly stuff would've been so cool for this game! It would've increased the replayability a lot for me. And that's what they want, right? People replaying the game and it staying relevant with all the patches, updates and expansions.

On Twitter I asked them to add costume DLC like this in the summer, but no answer, lol:

Bazztek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, these are hot basura. Which one of those would suit anyone besides Prompto though? :D

The concept art you posted once showed the bros at the party with seemingly normal suits:
Yeah it's really hard to tell in those screenshots since black levels are all over the place though Gladio has a white shirt there, but one of those Roen outfits that wasn't used says that the black shirt in the 2nd and 3rd pic there that I posted above is a Gladiolus shirt. Also I don't know if it's just me but those peaty treaty party screenshots make it look as if Prompto has a hood on his jacket, so maybe that long coat with the hoodie was his part of his formal attire?

Although Stella's Roen party dress was originally designed as being a black dress too and was only turned white in the trailer.

M0xF6fd.png

Last edited:

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
kzhSyLf.jpg

Source.

TTWuiDg.png

Cool, paid costume DLC, instead of all the free, silly stuff would've been so cool for this game! It would've increased the replayability a lot for me. And that's what they want, right? People replaying the game and it staying relevant with all the patches, updates and expansions.

On Twitter I asked them to add costume DLC like this in the summer, but no answer, lol:
LOL, if Prompto wore those shoes in combat :joy:

Majestic and sublime. Just epic!

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
So I beat the secret dungeon Pitioss...that was about three ours of solid frustration lol. The Dungeon's design is really cool, but holy crap is the platforming way too precision focused. The hilarious thing is that I honestly think if I were to do it again, I could propbably get through it in about 30 minutes. It's just the trial and error nature of it and the way Noctis platforms is just weird. I'm happy I completed it, but it became a chore about an hour and a half in. I was like...is it over now....nope...how about now...nope...what about now...nope....AHHHHHHHH....when will it end!!!! I honestly think the reward for beating the dungeon isn't entirely worth it. It would have been cool to get a really overpowered outfit for doing it.

Anyway, the only activities I have left now are doing the high level dungeons. I guess there's chocobo racing too, but I don't really care about chocobo cosmetics. By the way, with rare metal + armigar unleashed + Ragnarok, I've literally melted all of the Legendary weapon hunts in seconds. I killed Naglfar in about 30 seconds lol. I'm still wavering on whether to keep using the Zwill Crossblades for Noctis or switch back to Ragnork for the guaranteed 20000+ damage warp strikes. Any advice on this front?

Once I beat all of the dungeons, I'll play Episode Prompto, then Episode Ignis, then have a ton of fun obliterating my way through New Game+.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
So I beat the secret dungeon Pitioss...that was about three ours of solid frustration lol. The Dungeon's design is really cool, but holy crap is the platforming way too precision focused. The hilarious thing is that I honestly think if I were to do it again, I could propbably get through it in about 30 minutes. It's just the trial and error nature of it and the way Noctis platforms is just weird. I'm happy I completed it, but it became a chore about an hour and a half in. I was like...is it over now....nope...how about now...nope...what about now...nope....AHHHHHHHH....when will it end!!!! I honestly think the reward for beating the dungeon isn't entirely worth it. It would have been cool to get a really overpowered outfit for doing it.

Anyway, the only activities I have left now are doing the high level dungeons. I guess there's chocobo racing too, but I don't really care about chocobo cosmetics. By the way, with rare metal + armigar unleashed + Ragnarok, I've literally melted all of the Legendary weapon hunts in seconds. I killed Naglfar in about 30 seconds lol. I'm still wavering on whether to keep using the Zwill Crossblades for Noctis or switch back to Ragnork for the guaranteed 20000+ damage warp strikes. Any advice on this front?

Once I beat all of the dungeons, I'll play Episode Prompto, then Episode Ignis, then have a ton of fun obliterating my way through New Game+.
Haha, Pitioss is either hate it or love it. I loved it, but I'm generally a platforming fan. I basically considered the janky controls to be part of the challenge :P

Man, I remember Naglfar being the hardest and longest fight. Used up 99 of all my items because I tried to revive and keep alive the others who kept dying every other minute, lol. Should've just kept on fighting with Noctis alone instead of trying to babysit the bros.

I didn't know the Royal Edition was rated Adults Only.
1bWveo1.png

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Watching that Skill Up review, whew, I had forgotten/blocked out how awful Gladio was. Awful character, awful voice acting, Cup Noodle. At least he had that body.