• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Regardless, I still enjoy the game immensely, and I look forward to cheaper 15 adventures.
Final-Fantasy-XV-A-New-Empire-for-pc.jpg

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
at this point, the only thing missing from the old trailers are the cloud shadows.

RIP cloud shadows

Edit:

Then again, FFXV's shadow culling is extremely aggressive. Maybe if you go into that hidden setting thing and crank it up to comical values, they'll magically return....?!

For those who have good eye, is Duscae demo had "slightly" better graphics or it was some type of filter trick?Like its give no huge difference?

Also how do you rate the ultra PC settings with 2013 demo? Though demo is intense with reflections and particles effects something about seemed to me ... off, besides frame rate.
Edit: Sorry if this topic was before. For some reason 2013 demo does something looking odd, maybe its textures quality?

Duscae certainly had better lighting than the retail console version or PC version:

27136005798_20f7a8be96_h.jpg

40113751155_463132edba_h.jpg

40113742775_2f75451698_h.jpg

39197683570_578a8db8f7_h.jpg

The game now looks a lot flatter, with less contrast, less realistic and more stylized.

I have no idea.

There's certainly something about the lighting that's just "better", though I can't put my finger exactly on why. It was stronger, and felt more illuminating I think. It may also have something to do with the shadows. I recall later footage of FFXV feeling alot more "flat". The IQ was also infinitely better, which is a big reason....FFXV on PS4Pro and even mid-to-high settings on PC suffers from pretty bad artifacts when it comes to stuff like hair and grass but Duscae never had this issue it seemed.

Ultimately I think the final version looked alot better than the demo, but that's mainly because it was just better designed. From a technical standpoint i think Duscae definitely looked better than the final game (easily noticable with things like water and whatnot) but duscae was missing like everything in the game, so perhaps it was unfeasible to keep in the actual game.

2013 demo doesn't look that good. It's from a version of the engine before it was ported to Luminous and it's easy to tell, especially in the extended gameplay video.

Nah, I disagree. Again, people have to remember that with FFXV they were developing the engine, the tools, and the game all in parallel. Certain things in FFXV like the off-roads car, the boat, multiple hunts, and character switching were things that didn't launch with the game not because they didn't have the resources, but because they actually hadn't programmed the framework to make it possible.

If resources weren't devoted to actually making the engine the game was running on, they probably could have crammed alot more content into the base game.

And also given XV's current size, what actually existed was still pretty sizable. Altissa for example was waaaaaaaaaaay bigger than it ever needed to be for its role in the game, and most FF towns don't really require a bunch of exploration to be interesting. None of the PSX games did.

HOLY SHIT DEBUG MODE

Didn't Duscae also run like dogshit? I'm guessing they had to make various concessions to make the final game perform better on consoles. Shame they couldn't reinstate the lighting into the PC version. Let's see how extensive their mod tools are, then modders can have a crack at it.
benzy

Just when we were talking about it, look what I just saw (thanks to Mognet's Storm), lol:

EDIT: Oh, benzy already posted this.

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Since it got mentioned of doing Pitioss in first person view I decided to try it out (in this tiny clip). In this view you don't have to deal with any of Noctis' animations (you are just a floating camera after all), so that's actually kind of nice.
In this clip I did fail this part in trying to stand on that small ledge in first person (you can see it for a brief second at the start), so that's why you see me switch back to regular view for a bit and then back to first.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Since it got mentioned of doing Pitioss in first person view I decided to try it out (in this tiny clip). In this view you don't have to deal with any of Noctis' animations (you are just a floating camera after all), so that's actually kind of nice.
In this clip I did fail this part in trying to stand on that small ledge in first person (you can see it for a brief second at the start), so that's why you see me switch back to regular view for a bit and then back to first.

Haha, nice. Man, I loved the atmosphere there.

Btw, here's the datalog entry for the Pitioss dungeon:
Mognet's Storm said:
so the datalog has more information about pitioss! my theory was "half-right"

while pitioss wasn't a "contest arena" it was used as a training ground, for what purpose i don't know, but i think they were trying to be stronger to fight the gods; i still think black hood was kinda of a prize for anyone that reached the end.

Ancient Solheim training grounds situated in southwestern Cleigne and shrouded in mystery. Hidden among the mountains and conspicuously missing from all conventional maps, these ruins appear to have been all but forgotten in the modern age.
Traveling the world is sure to open one's eyes to the sheer variety of climates and cultures around Eos, but the one thread tying all lands together is the presence of peculiar stone structures. The toppled towers and shattered statues seen across the continent are testaments to the artistry and ingenuity of those who came before us, and Pitioss may indeed stand as Solheim's crowning achievement. But the most incredible aspect of ancient technology is its ability to seemingly manipulate time-space as we know it.
Based on out current scientific understanding, every bend in the fabric of our universe must be counterbalanced elsewhere—our scholars suspect these ruins might be the space in which those interdimensional kinks are worked out.

which explains omega and why that dragon was inside costlemark, but what if the scourge itself came from another place through these space-time distortions?

this is one of the creatures you find inside

latest

i would say it looks kinda otherwordly to me...

some wiki interpretation:

- Interdimensionality in Final Fantasy is commonly linked to the Void, the world of formation that links the series's multiverse.

- In the Fabula Nova Crystallis: Final Fantasy series that Final Fantasy XV started as part of, interdimensionality is associated with the juxtaposition of the mortal realm and the unseen realm, the gods' plan being to open the gate to the latter. The gate and the goddess who operated it were an influential part of the early version of the game as Final Fantasy Versus XIII, but the statues of a woman in Pitioss may be entirely unrelated.

- The Almanac describes Pitioss as "ancient Solheim training grounds." This could hearken to the arks from the Final Fantasy XIII games, built by ancient fal'Cie as training grounds for l'Cie in preparation for the opening of the gate to the beyond and the Day of Reckoning.

Source.

Eleriu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Haha, nice. Man, I loved the atmosphere there.

Btw, here's the datalog entry for the Pitioss dungeon:
It might save a lot of frustration by doing the dungeon in first person. Yeah, the atmosphere is great.
I saw that when I went there and it's interesting. Explains why this place is so weird.

I actually half- jokingly came up with a theory about the scourge being brought over from another dimension, via defeat of some sort of being (or just brought over) that wasn't supposed to be here. Now looking at that datalog entry it doesn't seem to far fetched that maybe it was brought over from somewhere else.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
:D

It might save a lot of frustration by doing the dungeon in first person. Yeah, the atmosphere is great.
I saw that when I went there and it's interesting. Explains why this place is so weird.

I actually half- jokingly came up with a theory about the scourge being brought over from another dimension, via defeat of some sort of being (or just brought over) that wasn't supposed to be here. Now looking at that datalog entry it doesn't seem to far fetched that maybe it was brought over from somewhere else.
Wait, did I understand it right: in first-person mode there are no annoying extra animations when you're landing, turning around etc.? :thinking:

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I'm trying to unlock every trophy in the DLC now that I have all the ones from the main game but Gladio's episode is just so not fun and boring to me (despite the music being otherworldly). Fighting against Cor is not fun either and the fact that I have to wait two minutes for a load screen everytime I die is really killer.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the game on PC.

Reading up now about all what was added and changed since the release I'm really glad I waited til now to play it.
While I still have some big problems with the game, overall it was an enjoyable experience. Without the Chapter 13 changes and Chapter 14 additions I might have looked back a lot less positive on the game.

Curious to see now what the DLC episodes have to offer. And I want that flying car.

Eleriu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, did I understand it right: in first-person mode there are no annoying extra animations when you're landing, turning around etc.? :thinking:
Nope. You can feel the landings and also hear the animations from them, but there's no extra annoying animations from what I have seen. Since as I said, you are literally just a floating camera, no arms/legs to be seen. It does move a bit when you land, but I found it bearable enough and it makes Pitioss a tad less annoying in my opinion.

Last edited:

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
I was just wondering about something, maybe someone here knows:
After Prompto is lost in chapter 12, do the others mention him or talk about him until when they find him again in chapter 13? I can't remember right now.

Evilmaus

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm really not enjoying the magic system so far.

Will I end up struggling if I don't use it? I'm doing fine for the time being, but I'm hoping it doesn't suddenly become super important to combat.

Eleriu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
After Prompto is lost in chapter 12, do the others mention him or talk about him until when they find him again in chapter 13? I can't remember right now.
Yes. Right after Noctis wakes up from Ardyn knocking him out Noctis calls Ignis and he's really distressed that he pushed his best friend off a train. Then once they get in Tenebrae Aranea asks about him. I think they also talk about him on the train ride to Niflheim as well, but I can't remember.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm really not enjoying the magic system so far.

Will I end up struggling if I don't use it? I'm doing fine for the time being, but I'm hoping it doesn't suddenly become super important to combat.
Nah. Magic is basically there for helping you deal with especially tough groups of enemies if you're underleveled for them.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Paging benzy. Would that lighting be re-creatable by tweaking settings on PC?

benzy

Just when we were talking about it, look what I just saw (thanks to Mognet's Storm), lol:

EDIT: Oh, benzy already posted this.

Well, the lighting isn't more advanced or using better tech in Episode Duscae. ED just had an art change in the post processing that affected the way the lighting looked, which is why in ED you always had that bloomy sky and could never see the circular disc of the sun (you can even see the complete diabling of that post-process in ED when you go out of bounds via glitch). They toned down that bloomy ethereal look in the final version. Plus everything looked washed out in ED and was poorly lit, plants and trees looked completely dead when they obviously weren't meant to be given the 2014 pc walkthrough. The final game environment assets are much better lit all around.

KKKubl.png

FINALFANTASYXVEPISOD.png

I played around with the debug PC build yesterday to compare the performance with the steam version and was able to mess around with the time and weather patterns today. You can still get the bloomy lighting but missing the rest of the post-process like the vignette effect on the screen corners.

Final Version
ffxvs201803251404119.png

Episode Duscae
8d2FINALFANTASYXVEPISOD.png

And really the only time Episode Duscae looked good was at sunset/night, I replayed Episode Duscae today and it looks hella ugly going back and forth between that and the final version during daytime. The final game actually has much more natural lighting and more advanced atmospherics, and this applies across all 24h time settings. In the debug I managed to find some lighting/atmosphere changes you normally don't see in Duscae region that looked awesome.

PC debug
ffxvs201803241712597.png

ffxvs201803251408093.png

The final version just destroys Episode Duscae in everything: lighting and atmospherics, draw distance, shaders, asset and material quality. I dunno how anyone can go back to playing Episode Duscae and say its lighting or anything else looks better than this.

7rBOwt.png

eEu9QJ.png

KivnwL.png

ffxvs201803250205111.png

-----

fc0FINALFANTASYXVEPISOD.png

Even in that footage from that twitter guy who enabled the Duscae post-process and colors. I don't see what's so great about it compared to the vanilla build. It looks too washed out and bland, and has the brownish-hue filter that plagued early xbox360/ps3 games.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the lighting isn't more advanced or using better tech in Episode Duscae. ED just had an art change in the post processing that affected the way the lighting looked, which is why in ED you always had that bloomy sky and could never see the circular disc of the sun (you can even see the complete diabling of that post-process in ED when you go out of bounds via glitch). They toned down that bloomy ethereal look in the final version. Plus everything looked washed out in ED and was poorly lit, plants and trees looked completely dead when they obviously weren't meant to be given the 2014 pc walkthrough. The final game environment assets are much better lit all around.

KKKubl.png

FINALFANTASYXVEPISOD.png

I played around with the debug PC build yesterday to compare the performance with the steam version and was able to mess around with the time and weather patterns today. You can still get the bloomy lighting but missing the rest of the post-process like the vignette effect on the screen corners.

Final Version
ffxvs201803251404119.png

Episode Duscae

And really the only time Episode Duscae looked good was at sunset/night, I replayed Episode Duscae today and it looks hella ugly going back and forth between that and the final version during daytime. The final game actually has much more natural lighting and more advanced atmospherics, and this applies across all 24h time settings. In the debug I managed to find some lighting/atmosphere changes you normally don't see in Duscae region that looked awesome.

PC debug
ffxvs201803241712597.png

ffxvs201803251408093.png

The final version just destroys Episode Duscae in everything: lighting and atmospherics, draw distance, shaders, asset and material quality. I dunno how anyone can go back to playing Episode Duscae and say its lighting or anything else looks better than this.

7rBOwt.png

eEu9QJ.png

KivnwL.png

ffxvs201803250205111.png

-----

Even in that footage from that twitter guy who enabled the Duscae post-process and colors. I don't see what's so great about it compared to the vanilla build. It looks too washed out and bland, and has the brownish-hue filter that plagued early xbox360/ps3 games.
Great post, thanks!

Tyaren What do you say?^^

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Great post, thanks!

Tyaren What do you say?^^

I don't agree with benzy on this, but he already knows that. ;) We had that discussion a looong time ago, lol.
Yes, it is a stylistic change, but it is also clearly a technical downgrade in lighting. Alone if you compare the lighting in interior spaces, like the gas stops, Duscae is so far ahead. In the retail version the lighting is very inconsistent there, usually flat and without depth.

Last edited:

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
this was all a setup to make me and Ty argue.

KindheartedIdealisticHyena-size_restricted.gif

I don't agree with benzy on this, but he already knows that. ;) We had that discussion a looong time ago, lol.
Yes, it is a stylistic change, but it is also clearly a technical downgrade in lighting. Alone if you compare the lighting in interior spaces, Duscae is so far ahead. In the retail version the lighting is very inconsistent and usually flat and without depth.
Lol, I actually didn't know you two already discussed this.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, I actually didn't know you two already discussed this.

I do agree that Duscae appeared a little drab and dark during the day in the demo. In the retail version Duscae looks so much brighter and greener. It's much more pleasing to look at. Duscae in general looks so much better. I remember we all were surprised how amazing it suddenly looked shortly before release. :)

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I do agree that Duscae appeared a little drab and dark during the day in the demo. In the retail version Duscae looks so much brighter and greener. It's much more pleasing to look at. Duscae in general looks so much better. I remember we all were surprised how amazing it suddenly looked shortly before release. :)

I remember this pre-release. We all thought they were showing everything on the PS4 Pro because it looked so much better.

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are any of the other dungeons as much of a boring slog as Steyliff? These tonberries with massive health bars are a fucking chore, especially when there's 100 floors of this shit.

FrontierGamer

Banned
Jan 31, 2018

KKKubl.png

FINALFANTASYXVEPISOD.png

Final Version
ffxvs201803251404119.png

Episode Duscae

PC debug
ffxvs201803241712597.png

ffxvs201803251408093.png

7rBOwt.png

eEu9QJ.png

KivnwL.png

ffxvs201803250205111.png

-----

True :)

Duscae now in the final version is much more better then the demo version.

Now Duscae is one of the most beautiful area I ever seen in an open world games.
Is really magnificent :)

a Question

Oct 28, 2017
The 2013 Insomnia citadel footage on Ebony was using likely the models the had made for the PS3 version, that was before they recreated all the model assets from scratch and moved to Luminous engine. And "graphics" wise I don't think Episode Duscae looked better than the final game, it just used different filter with a ton of bloom and had a vignette on screen, and other than that vegetation looked darker. The actual resolution. draw distance, vegetation, frame rate, textures etc were much improved by the final game.

Hold on so the engine problems was ebony? I remember hearing that one of the problems that Nomura had is engine that could not do what he was looking for.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
To make the datalog collection (Trophy) more organic, I've been doing a New Game Plus and saved at the start of Chapter 14, away from home right now so I'm looking forward to playing the meat of the new content.

As it's my second playthrough since launch, the fix of being able to take multiple hunts is the best addition. The fixes from patches are nice, but nothing ground-breaking. There are fundamental issues with the game they can't fix. When the party leaves Altissia and hop on the train, the game speeds you through the remaining chapters before the finale and (pun-intended) goes flying off the rails.

On the first stop where the party is dealing with Ignis' blindness, I was almost fooled into believing this time through that a second open-world was about to open up. You almost feel like you've just gone through 'half' of the game (if you'd done a lot of the open-world content before going to Altissia) and now there was a ton more content about to become available to you. Does anyone else feel like this?

Instead the game hurtles you through some awfully (quick) paced chapters that were clearly thrown together at the last minute, before Chapter 13 grinds things to a halt again.

Overall I really like the game, it's a solid 7/10 for me. I love the characters, especially Noctis, the world that we have access to, the visuals, the music, but the fundamental issues let it down. I know it's not feasible at this point, but I'd love all the cut/unfinished content to be completed and reinserted into the game. Chapters 10 to 12 are crying out for expansion.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I finally finished the game and am now playing Episode Ignis

Wow. I want a standlone game for this guy. The gameplay is wicked GOOD.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Beat the main story. Whew, that ending...
Now Noctis and Luna can stay together forever. Be happy, you two...

I will write my final thoughts on the game after completing all DLC and post-game content. So far, I am very happy about it.

Oct 25, 2017

There's a short conversation with Aranea about it in Tenebrae. Something along the lines of
Aranea: Wasn't there another one of you?
Noctis: Yeah......he's........
Araneas: Is he dead?
Noctis: I.......don't know.
Aranea: Then quit moping, keep hoping.

Bazztek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hold on so the engine problems was ebony? I remember hearing that one of the problems that Nomura had is engine that could not do what he was looking for.
Well the engine problems were Crystal Tools, in around 2007 Nomura mentioned he had an idea of what he wanted to do but was waiting for Crystal Tools and resources to be freed, since the 1st PDP was mostly on FF13 at the time, which is why after FF13 finished in Dec 2009 they created Ebony in 2010 which was a heavily modified Crystal Tools, it was what Nomura called the "Versus specific engine" in an interview in 2011, and he cited back then that they going to implement Luminous lighting into the game, though that wouldn't happen for a while. Once Versus was rebooted to XV in 2012 they created a DX11 version of the Ebony engine so that they could eventually migrate to Luminous which was also DX11 based, which only started the migration in July 2013, a month after they showed it at E3 2013. It was around that time that they started recreating all the assets from the ground up, and also when a lot of reevaluating of the direction the game was taking happened.

The E3 2013 Insomnia citadel footage was basically a prototype build that Tabata was tasked with making when he was assinged to the game, the engine at that time was a DX11 version Ebony Engine but also had Yebis 2 middleware intergrated into it, about a month later is when they moved to Luminous. Nomura mentioned in 2013 that when doing tests on the PS3 version in 2012 that the map couldn't keep up when driving the car, and that was also one of the reasons why he wanted to move to 8th gen and aim for a more seamless as possible goal, even as far back as 2010 he talked about his goal being to make it as seamless as possible with loads only on some areas of the game.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
So I haven't been keeping up with this thread... did they ever find the complete train station in the files on the PC version?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So I haven't been keeping up with this thread... did they ever find the complete train station in the files on the PC version?

As far as I know people have done some research on this in the original version of the game, and from the designs on the streetlamps/etc, it looks like it was likely intended to be on the Niflheim continent. Considering they supposedly modeled the entire train line from Cartanica all the way to Gralea, I wouldn't be surprised if the train station is somewhere out there.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone have a level 1, full ascension grid save file they could send me? I want to play the game (for the 3rd time) on pc in all its glory but still maintain some challenges. Would appreciate it!

R3birthFl4me

Oct 27, 2017
This game needs a hard mode fast, they need to find a way to make people see the small things that you can do with this combat system, the game being easy doesn't help at all.

Samsquanchewans

User Permed at their request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
#NOTJAPAN
okay so just finished the game (for like the 5th time), first time on PC. Are those new missions the ones at the final chapter before
Ardyn
? Cause that seemed new to me. And it's great though.

Oct 25, 2017
okay so just finished the game (for like the 5th time), first time on PC. Are those new missions the ones at the final chapter before
Ardyn
? Cause that seemed new to me. And it's great though.

The entirety of Chapter 14 inside Insomnia is pretty much completely different now. All of the missions in there are new, since there weren't any before.

There are also a couple of minor quests in chapter 10.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised that they didn't add a hard mode with the Royal edition. Seems like one of the simpler things they could add that would make people happy. All they really have to do is limit the amount of healing items like in battle similar to Kingdom Hearts, and amp up the damage that you take from enemies. Oh disable the power ranger suits and nerf the ring to how it was in vanilla.